Hurley meeting media today | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley meeting media today

Reaction Score
I want AJ to develop a step back jumper in the lane with a defender in his face. If he can do that, it means it stroke has been cleaned up and he is capable of so much more.
I want AJ to develop an "in your face", posterizing dunk that can be used once or twice a game. Enough of this floater and contested lay up crap. Use his athletic skills to embarrass and deflate the opponent.

Reaction Score
I want AJ to develop an "in your face", posterizing dunk that can be used once or twice a game. Enough of this floater and contested lay up crap. Use his athletic skills to embarrass and deflate the opponent.

Thats only 2-4 points a game and unless he develops a shot, the defense will sag off making it harder to drive and harder to dunk. If he could hit a jumper off the dribble his offensive game would change dramatically. I don’t understand why this is so hard to comprehend.

Reaction Score
Hmmmm. My guess is CFjr wasn't the shock to the staff as it was to the BY. Be very interesting to see where he lands. Methinks it won't be at the level most on here have prescribed.

Reaction Score
Hmmmm. My guess is CFjr wasn't the shock to the staff as it was to the BY. Be very interesting to see where he lands. Methinks it won't be at the level most on here have prescribed.
I think that's the one that was the shock to the staff. Everyone on the Boneyard could have predicted the other 3 in January so it's hard to believe the staff didn't know

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think we can all agree now that Gaffney's minutes were going to decline and he wanted to play somewhere. Would have liked him to finish his career here mentoring younger guys but it's his life, no issues with him looking for a new home.

Same for Diggins, it was clear he wasn't anywhere near this level. It certainly showed in games and it's a near certainty it showed up in practice. If he minds his mouth, No one should hate on him.

As for Akok, but I think he may be looking for an opportunity to make his case for the NBA. That wasn't happening here as a 3rd center and part-time stretch 4. I think it a real longshot, but again, it's his life.

Floyd is the interesting one, it looks a lot like he thought he was getting the keys and he got scared/offended of Hurley bringing in a proven PG in addition to the competition from a higher rated recruit in Castle, whether he shows up this year or next. I would hope after a year of practice, Hurley was straight with him on his projected status. A RSFr really shouldn't expect to play 35 minutes a game unless you are killing it in practice. (cue the Ferrari in the garage quotes). It would have been malpractice if Hurley didn't bring in a starting caliber transfer and the best one he could find. I think this has more to do with Castle and his behind the scenes performance than Newton, but then again, these are kids who come in with very high opinions of themselves so it's anyone's guess. I have no reason to think he won't be good wherever he ends up. Dan just needs to avoid a Ryan Gomes situation.

Reaction Score
I think that's the one that was the shock to the staff. Everyone on the Boneyard could have predicted the other 3 in January so it's hard to believe the staff didn't know
There's literally a quote 2 posts above yours with the head coach saying he was shocked by the Akok transfer...

Reaction Score
There's literally a quote 2 posts above yours with the head coach saying he was shocked by the Akok transfer...
That's not what the quote says, it says Akok's transfer hit him. Which I genuinely believe even if it was in everyone's best interest.

He was Hurley's first real recruit at UConn, he rehabbed his torn Achilles at UConn during peak Covid with Hurley and I believe even spent some time at Hurley's house while campus was closed.

Reaction Score
I disagree, I think Floyd was going to get a lot of time and has the versatility to play multiple positions. He surely would've been looking at a lot of minutes with the roster we have now, hopefully that changes and Hurley brings in a couple of more studs...he needs to.
floyd would get significant PT on the roster we have now as in today but it's going to change.

i agree Hurley needs to bring in 2 more studs, he agrees and has said so, it's probably why floyd left. we still need a transfer G and either Castle or another transfer. that would give us a solid 8 man rotation with Clingan/Springs also getting a few mpg. but bringing in a 3rd stud risks someone else transferring out like karaban.

that's just the way it's going to be from now on and that's ok. quality over quantity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Adama is still on campus? Haven’t seen him making any comments or at the dinner with Newton. I know he’s been mentioned as being a center piece for next year but I hope he’s still around the team, the semester is still not over. Don’t want to look to far into it but I hope he’s still around the guys.

Edit: didn’t see that he reposted Newtons commitment. Definitely nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When you said 4* top 100 guys don't come to sit I assumed that was a reference to Corey Floyd Jr. My point was Karaban chose to come to UConn early and do exactly that, sit and not play. So yes I do think you can continue to bring in good recruits as developmental players. I never said Karaban is gonna play, don't for 2 years, don't put words in my mouth

You can fall in love with Avery Brown, and clearly have. Doesn't mean he was UConn quality, because he's not
But diff between a guy coming in 1 semester early and another rs an entire year, especially if he thinks he’s ready…and the coach says he could’ve helped. U think Karaban stays if he doesn’t play next year?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I mean, Alex Karaban is a 4* top 100 guy who was content doing it, so that's not true.
When you said 4* top 100 guys don't come to sit I assumed that was a reference to Corey Floyd Jr. My point was Karaban chose to come to UConn early and do exactly that, sit and not play. So yes I do think you can continue to bring in good recruits as developmental players
not to pile on but the difference is in the PT they are expecting next year. if hurley said he's bringin in 3 transfer Gs then that has a much bigger impact on Floyd's PT than Karaban's.

i'll admit floyd transferring is an issue if Hurley only manages to bring in Newton and two nobody Gs. but if he brings in newton, and a guy like ramey, and caslte reclasses, then floyd's PT was getting squeezed whereas karban is looking like our second string 3/4 right now.

Reaction Score
But diff between a guy coming in 1 semester early and another rs and entire year, especially if he thinks he’s ready…and the coach says he could’ve helped. U think Karaban stays if he doesn’t play next year?
I never said that, Karaban is going to play big minutes. I'm saying 1 thing, you can get good recruits to take a redshirt year and enroll early as long as everyone is on the same page

Reaction Score
not to pile on but the difference is in the PT they are expecting next year. if hurley said he's bringin in 3 transfer Gs then that has a much bigger impact on Floyd's PT than Karaban's.

i'll admit floyd transferring is an issue if Hurley only manages to bring in Newton and two nobody Gs. but if he brings in newton, and a guy like ramey, and caslte reclasses, then floyd's PT was getting squeezed whereas karban is looking like our second string 3/4 right now.
I have no idea what this has to do with anything I posted. If anything I'm pretty sure you're agreeing with what I'm saying but I'm honestly lost

Reaction Score
If Avery Brown came here and sits for 2 straight years he’s transferring to a lower level school. With the portal the game has changed both ways. Mid majors excelling and going to major schools and major kids sitting and leaving for mid majors.
exactly. we'd have to replace him with another guy that's happy to sit on the bench, until he's not happy anymore and transfers, and around and around we go.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I never said that, Karaban is going to play big minutes. I'm saying 1 thing, you can get good recruits to take a redshirt year and enroll early as long as everyone is on the same page
Sure it’s possible. but I think it’s more likely they get here and realize they can play. And don’t want to Rs. If Floyd stayed in HS I bet he’s on the roster next year. I’m happy to wager that Floyd doesn’t stay in school 5 years.

Reaction Score
This is the new reporter covering UConn University basketball?
He tweets more typos than I've ever seen from a professional writer before. I wonder if that's the new way of the world.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom