Hurley meeting media today | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley meeting media today

Reaction Score
Sure it’s possible. but I think it’s more likely they get here and realize they can play. And don’t want to Rs. If Floyd stayed in HS I bet he’s on the roster next year. I’m happy to wager that Floyd doesn’t stay in school 5 years.
Then he should have stayed in HS, the plan was very clearly laid out to him publicly and by all accounts and comments he was on board. I'd happily take that bet that Floyd will play all 4 years, and he's going to be a tremendous college player. But I also know there's no chance I'll remember in 4 years anyway

Reaction Score
Then he should have stayed in HS, the plan was very clearly laid out to him publicly and by all accounts and comments he was on board. I'd happily take that bet that Floyd will play all 4 years, and he's going to be a tremendous college player. But I also know there's no chance I'll remember in 4 years anyway
But being here changed his perspective. He’s 18.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Reaction Score
But being here changed his perspective. He’s 18.
Of course, something obviously changed which is my point. Don't think you need to make a sweeping change to the whole philosophy since it didn't work with Floyd. Worked out for Akok until his injury, worked out so far for Karaban

Reaction Score
Of course, something obviously changed which is my point. Don't think you need to make a sweeping change to the whole philosophy since it didn't work with Floyd. Worked out for Akok until his injury, worked out so far for Karaban
No it’s different. One semester v and entire year. And summer. You are equating things that aren’t equal

Reaction Score
LOL. 18 people immediately agreed with the post, and you disagree. Are you willing to honestly answer where the smart money is on which the right answer might be on this?
19 now

Reaction Score
This is a worthless comparison. We’re getting Newton as a senior, not as a freshman. That’s a huge difference.

I think the point he’s making is that if you get Brown as a freshman and he’s willing to sit by the time he’s a junior he’s as good as Newton. I have no idea if that’s true but it’s not ridiculous.

Reaction Score
No it’s different. One semester v and entire year. And summer. You are equating things that aren’t equal
I don't think it makes a difference, in every case you're brining in a kid with the very clearly stated intention of not playing

Reaction Score
Hmmmm. My guess is CFjr wasn't the shock to the staff as it was to the BY. Be very interesting to see where he lands. Methinks it won't be at the level most on here have prescribed.
“For the most part, they were expected,” he said. “We knew. As soon as the season was over, you are dealing with the suffering with the way our season ended. We got into meetings that next week.

“In terms of organizational culture, honesty is something that pays dividends over a long period of time. In the short term, sometimes honesty hurts a little bit. With my guys, I’m going to tell them where they are at in their careers and what we are thinking in terms of adding to the program. Obviously a combination of what we planned to do in terms of adding and where guys are at with their career forced what happened.

Reaction Score
I don't think it makes a difference, in every case you're brining in a kid with the very clearly stated intention of not playing
Got it. Sitting for 3 months same as sitting for 6

Reaction Score
“For the most part, they were expected,” he said. “We knew. As soon as the season was over, you are dealing with the suffering with the way our season ended. We got into meetings that next week.

“In terms of organizational culture, honesty is something that pays dividends over a long period of time. In the short term, sometimes honesty hurts a little bit. With my guys, I’m going to tell them where they are at in their careers and what we are thinking in terms of adding to the program. Obviously a combination of what we planned to do in terms of adding and where guys are at with their career forced what happened.

Meanwhile, Hurley agrees with Jackson’s take.
“Listen, we don’t have a lot of players, as many you need to start a season, but the ones we have are really good,” he said. “We like the one (Newton) that we got a lot. We love the core we are bringing back. Not a lot a of schools in the country that wouldn’t want to trade their best four for our best four. It will be exciting for Alex Karaban and Samson Johnson. These are high-level recruits for us.”

Phew. First time he's mentioned Johnson in awhile.

Reaction Score
Lol, can't even respond because he put me on ignore after a reasonable back and forth...

Reaction Score
That's rich.

Akok was hitting 3's better than 50% and Hurley wouldn't play him.

Akok was the easiest to see as a transfer.
Akok lost his lateral quickness and his jumping ability which was his main strength. He could not put the ball on the floor and create his own shot. Essentially, after his injury, he became a taller Polley. He’s a good guy but we need more. One dimensional players aren’t going to cut it

Reaction Score
I want AJ to develop an "in your face", posterizing dunk that can be used once or twice a game. Enough of this floater and contested lay up crap. Use his athletic skills to embarrass and deflate the opponent.
Only in practice apparently...

Reaction Score
Akok lost his lateral quickness and his jumping ability which was his main strength. He could not put the ball on the floor and create his own shot. Essentially, after his injury, he became a taller Polley. He’s a good guy but we need more. One dimensional players aren’t going to cut it
If he was a taller Polley he would have played more

Reaction Score
And he probably would have if he decided to stay. But he would have maintained a bench role as a tall, one dimensional, 3 point threat. He probably envisions himself doing more but the reality is he cannot

Reaction Score
Maybe calling him a taller Polley was a bit of a stretch but what else could he really do other than catch and shoot a three offensively? Nothing really. Defensively he used to be a menace but not so much anymore

Reaction Score
That's rich.

Akok was hitting 3's better than 50% and Hurley wouldn't play him.

Akok was the easiest to see as a transfer.
Can we stop this? He sat because he couldn’t play man defense and his offensive game consisted of low volume wide open corner threes only. I get why he left but this narrative that he was screwed by Hurley just doesn’t hold any water.

Reaction Score
We had 15 available scholarships this year, Whaley and Polley didn't count since they used their Covid year. That's why he was able to enroll, we had a scholarship available for him. Akok took a ton of loopholes and was NOT eligible to play because he walked on. Karaban could have played since he was given a scholarship
All true except I'm certain Akok was on scholarship when he got to UConn. And he could have played that 2nd semester even if he walked on. Why wouldn't he have been eligible to play? I'm pretty sure as long as you're taking classes full time you can play for a school, whether you're on scholarship or not.

Just looked up the roster from 2019-2020 and he was definitely on scholarship.

Reaction Score
All true except I'm certain Akok was on scholarship when he got to UConn. And he could have played that 2nd semester even if he walked on. Why wouldn't he have been eligible to play? I'm pretty sure as long as you're taking classes full time you can play for a school, whether you're on scholarship or not.

Just looked up the roster from 2019-2020 and he was definitely on scholarship.

I could be misremembering, I thought there was an issue where he wanted to enroll for 2nd semester but we didn't have any open scholarships and were trying to find a way to get him on campus

Reaction Score
Can we stop this? He sat because he couldn’t play man defense and his offensive game consisted of low volume wide open corner threes only. I get why he left but this narrative that he was screwed by Hurley just doesn’t hold any water.
Agreed - he could shoot a three from the corner and block shots but only from the help side. So, he was really one dimensional on both sides of the ball. Certainly, a good guy but that limited a game doesn't position you to be a starter or in a 7 man rotation on last season's roster or our go-forward rosters.

Reaction Score
I could be misremembering, I thought there was an issue where he wanted to enroll for 2nd semester but we didn't have any open scholarships and were trying to find a way to get him on campus
Your memory is better than mine! Here's the article. Kwintin Williams had that 13th scholarship even though he was suspended and couldn't play (that's why he wasn't on the roster I saw).

As a recruited player — Akok took official visits to UConn — he cannot play as a walk-on as he will be getting institutional financial aid. Andre Drummond, a recruited player, played as a walk-on for UConn in 2011-12, without institutional financial aid. UConn will have a scholarship available for Akok at the end of the academic year. Senior Kwintin Williams, though suspended from the team, is still on scholarship and is working to earn his degree in the spring.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom