Here's a shocker - the TV contract will suck. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Here's a shocker - the TV contract will suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Great minds think alike. So do mediocre ones, so I'm not sure which we are, but there is agreement here... ;)

i mean think about it. uconn and cincy have worth all around to some degree. everyone else in the nbe u can argue does not have = worth.

lets say u hook the mac, mwc, b12 and pac. the mac, mwc see it as no brainers to have a small easy logistis relationship. the pac needs good bball inventory and doesn't mind sending 2 teams yearly out to the east coast. its anice win for them. same with the b12.

uconns football schedule could be
-mac home
-mac away
-pac h
-pac a
-mwc h
-mwc a
-b12 h
-b12 a
-open
-open
-fcs
-cincy

i would say thats not hard to acomplish from a ad logistics issue...now give notre dame a 10 year series where they get 4 home games a boston and nyc game with 75% gate each and give us 4 home games.

i say its completely possible. wtf not at this point? 2 mil a year from espn isn't worth 2 in the bush. our girls program could decide to schedule the top 15 teams next year and double the sny contract if we wanted to. theres your 2 frucking mil.

in bball in the c7 u get 3-5mil. u and cincy really bump it up. its good sos/rpi wis ebut missing lville/cuse types hurt a bit. but not really becuase in your pac agreement the pac wanted a big inventoory game so they have u playing zona or oregon and the mwc has its best team on a given year playing u bracket buster weekernd as so on....

its doable if were really in such a brutal spot. doable...

Reaction Score
Well, there we have it then.

If...IF....the C-7 contract is actually twice as much as ours with FOX, then don't be shocked to see UConn and Cincy pimping right now to the MW for some sort of weird eastern version of the league in football only and then the C-7 as an olympic home. The final question is what is the actual value of the C-7 FOX offer then...I'm going to go to the bathroom to throw up now...

p.s.
Can't wait for ESPN to bid 23 million and 1 dollar, like on The Price Is Right...

The bank vaults in the BE offices make this a non-starter. They have over $100 million in there between exit fees and NCAA tourney credits.

They can vote to dissolve the conference and split things up, but why do that when they have more money coming to them from Notre Dame and Louisville, and there are questions as to whether they even need to split exit fee money with the CYO7.

Not to mention the MWC probably has no interest in a school that wants to leave, and a school located on the east coast.

Reaction Score
I've always been for aligning with the C7 and going independent in football. For football we have 6-7 schools in the bag in terms of scheduling - FCS, UMass, Cincy, 2 of Army/Navy/BYU, MACx2. Try to get a permanent rivalry going with one of BC/SU/RU (RU is my preference because of B1G). That leaves us with trying to find 4 games against BCS schools.

Reaction Score
If those are the numbers and ESPN just needs to match, UConn needs to hitch up its olympics with the C7. Tell the NBE we're happy to leave our football there for now.

If they say no, laugh and ask them what choice they have?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
We need to hire Honey Boo Hoo as a spirit girl and spin off the most demented reality show ever that propels NBCSN to its Highest ratings ever.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
If this all goes through, I'd be more than cool with releasing Blumenthal again...

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
But, no question, ESPN took the Big East for a ride, left the gun and took the cannoli.

That is the truth. I also think ESPN is shocked UConn hasn't found a home yet. I don't think there's any doubt ESPN wanted the Big East to go away, but if you asked them when this started which schools would be saved, UConn was on the list for sure.

Connecting the dots in DeFelippo's infamous quote, ESPN recommended UConn and Syracuse be the teams the ACC invited, but DeFilippo was able to use committee style shenanigans to substitute Pitt for UConn.

That was UConn's ride missed. Will the CR Merry-Go-Round give us another chance, or will we be left watching from the sidelines?

If the latter turns out to be true for more than one season, ESPN better give the ACC a special cash offer to invite UConn or they will face my considerable wrath.

Reaction Score
If UConn agrees to this deal, the football program will die in 20 mins.

epark88

Reaction Score
That is the truth. I also think ESPN is shocked UConn hasn't found a home yet. I don't think there's any doubt ESPN wanted the Big East to go away, but if you asked them when this started which schools would be saved, UConn was on the list for sure.

Connecting the dots in DeFelippo's infamous quote, ESPN recommended UConn and Syracuse be the teams the ACC invited, but DeFilippo was able to use committee style shenanigans to substitute Pitt for UConn.

That was UConn's ride missed. Will the CR Merry-Go-Round give us another chance, or will we be left watching from the sidelines?

If the latter turns out to be true for more than one season, ESPN better give the ACC a special cash offer to invite UConn or they will face my considerable wrath.

Respectfully disagree: the Bristol Gang has specifically denigrated UConn mercilessly for years.

They're really not that into us...

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree: the Bristol Gang has specifically denigrated UConn mercilessly for years.

Espn needs to relocate to Charlotte immediately.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

They denigrated anyone they believed was a threat to the ACC's prestige (and we were a constant threat...), but that's just protecting their largest investment. Speaking of which, they've helped finance and broadcast all of those titles UConn won - they've watched the UConn brand get built from the ground up. Which leads me to my next point...

I think they got tired of supporting both the ACC and the Big East and affected a merger of the two. It got messy. Even so, UConn is the only original Big East member not going to better off than they were when this started. I don't think ESPN anticipated UConn being left out.

It's also not over yet.

Reaction Score
if in two years Uconn is still in that league, why would you even keep football? certainly not for all the big money/tv exposure. And if you actually make a bowl game, the incremental money earned from TV would be lost funding the bowl.
Little known fact, all old athletic departments have their start in football. UConn is not going to drop it's football program. (Drop football, you serious?) We are now getting the best in-state players even with this conference. Keep dreaming.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If the total Big East exit fee pool is around $65M and it is to be divided between UConn, USF and Cincinnati, $20+M is a good start to buy back all of UConn's T1 rights and bid them out to the highest buyer. A SNY/FSNE combo would be nice to reach all of the Northeast. If UConn is being purposely shut out from the collegiate sports landscape by our Northeast "brothers" and not allowed to have a chance to continue to dominate them on the field/court, then we can at least dominate them on TV sets in our region.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Is it OK for a corporation receiving massive state subsidies to repeatedly and systematically work to destroy the anchor state school? Every taxpayer in the state should be furious with ESPN right now.

Reaction Score
Little known fact, all old athletic departments have their start in football. UConn is not going to drop it's football program. (Drop football, you serious?) We are now getting the best in-state players even with this conference. Keep dreaming.

Most atheletic programs are run with money. If UConn plays in this conference the football team will be so in the red, that UConn will face the decision of dropping football or every single olympic sport. Lose, lose.

Reaction Score
Most atheletic programs are run with money. If UConn plays in this conference the football team will be so in the red, that UConn will face the decision of dropping football or every single olympic sport. Lose, lose.
We're going to be out of this conference soon enough.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
massive state subsidies
The tax break the state gave ESPN required a job creation goal they had to meet, so it wasn't a 'subsidy.' And calling it 'massive' is based on what scale? The one in your head that relies on hyperbole to make a point?
repeatedly and systematically work to destroy
I'm picturing ESPN launching WWII style bombing runs over Storrs with this level of rhetoric.

All that said, consider me among those who firmly believe ESPN has an obligation to fix this for UConn considering they kicked down our sandcastle and are playing on our beach.

Reaction Score
We're going to be out of this conference soon enough.

I do think your right. First, there was the conference meetings and realignment chatter. Then, there was some positive UConn buzz in the twittersphere. Finally, the nail in the coffin, Espn's desperate attempt to once again devalue UConn. There is a trend here folks. Something is up and I do think we find out sooner not later.

epark88

Reaction Score
They denigrated anyone they believed was a threat to the ACC's prestige (and we were a constant threat...), but that's just protecting their largest investment. Speaking of which, they've helped finance and broadcast all of those titles UConn won - they've watched the UConn brand get built from the ground up. Which leads me to my next point...

I think they got tired of supporting both the ACC and the Big East and affected a merger of the two. It got messy. Even so, UConn is the only original Big East member not going to better off than they were when this started. I don't think ESPN anticipated UConn being left out.

It's also not over yet.

I get that ESPN has a right to protect it's ACC investment - no issues there. But where should they have drawn the line? Their antics through the years have been downright cruel towards UConn. Just a small sampling:

* When UConn hoops won the dual 'ships in '04, ESPN Radio guy Mike Greenberg told a national audience that UConn fans - both men's and womens' - essentially made him want to vomit. Totally uncalled for (Dickie V did come on later to call Greenberg out for it, but the damage was done).
* When the men won again in '11, their website's big headline a couple days later? "Kemba Reads First Book." Why print that about the tourney MOP, so soon after his greatest moment?
* I tried to watch ESPN again about a month or so ago, and there was some innocuous CFB story running - and then out of the blue they inserted about 30 seconds on UConn's lack of Fiesta Bowl ticket sales two years ago. Thankfully, I haven't made that viewing mistake since.

I guess my point is that if Bristol were so distraught at our current plight, why would they have spent the past near-decade running our public perception into the ground? I think they're pretty giddy that we're in the state that we're in...

Reaction Score
I've always been for aligning with the C7 and going independent in football. For football we have 6-7 schools in the bag in terms of scheduling - FCS, UMass, Cincy, 2 of Army/Navy/BYU, MACx2. Try to get a permanent rivalry going with one of BC/SU/RU (RU is my preference because of B1G). That leaves us with trying to find 4 games against BCS schools.

If those are the numbers and ESPN just needs to match, UConn needs to hitch up its olympics with the C7. Tell the NBE we're happy to leave our football there for now.

If they say no, laugh and ask them what choice they have?

They'll say, See ya, and thanks for the $130 million you left behind.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I think they're pretty giddy that we're in the state that we're in...

Just answer plainly: in your opinion does ESPN have it out for UConn specifically, such that they would spend tens of millions of dollars to cripple the university?

I think that qualifies as an extraordinary claim indeed, and you know what they say about extraordinary claims...

Occam's Razor says UConn is collateral damage, unanticipated, and certainly not intentional.

Reaction Score

Or basketball too... when the big ones break off.

The decision to cut loose football is like a man hanging onto a rope that's slicing through the skin on his hands. His hands hurt so much, he decides to save them more pain and so lets go of the rope.

Reaction Score
I get that ESPN has a right to protect it's ACC investment - no issues there. But where should they have drawn the line? Their antics through the years have been downright cruel towards UConn. Just a small sampling:

* When UConn hoops won the dual 'ships in '04, ESPN Radio guy Mike Greenberg told a national audience that UConn fans - both men's and womens' - essentially made him want to vomit. Totally uncalled for (Dickie V did come on later to call Greenberg out for it, but the damage was done).
* When the men won again in '11, their website's big headline a couple days later? "Kemba Reads First Book." Why print that about the tourney MOP, so soon after his greatest moment?
* I tried to watch ESPN again about a month or so ago, and there was some innocuous CFB story running - and then out of the blue they inserted about 30 seconds on UConn's lack of Fiesta Bowl ticket sales two years ago. Thankfully, I haven't made that viewing mistake since.

I guess my point is that if Bristol were so distraught at our current plight, why would they have spent the past near-decade running our public perception into the ground? I think they're pretty giddy that we're in the state that we're in...

Greenberg is a company guy who simply says what is scripted. Guy has no backbone or opinion of his own. He epitomizes what Espn is. Seriously, I can only watch 2mins of Mike and Mike before I want to shoot myself.

Reaction Score
Greenberg is a company guy who simply says what is scripted. Guy has no backbone or opinion of his own. He epitomizes what Espn is. Seriously, I can only watch 2mins of Mike and Mike before I want to shoot myself.

I disagree with this. The guy is so New York centered, he literally hates teams like the Patriots. And then Golic with ND. My god, those two are the biggest homers around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom