Here's a shocker - the TV contract will suck. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Here's a shocker - the TV contract will suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The last estimate I saw in print for the C7 was that they were hoping for a 12-year deal at about $3M per team. That doesn't seem out of line to me.

You have a bunch of pretty decent basketball schools and generally, there aren't a lot of awful matchups. (Assuming they invite who they're rumored to.)

I don't even know how you market some of the matchups the Big East will have - UConn and Cincy can only play against each other every so often.

Reaction Score
if in two years Uconn is still in that league, why would you even keep football? certainly not for all the big money/tv exposure. And if you actually make a bowl game, the incremental money earned from TV would be lost funding the bowl.

Reaction Score
The problem is that the C7 teams have been on rated networks for thirty years. None of the networks who broadcast the rest are rated, with rare CBS or ABC exceptions. CBS SN isn't rated. It's all a giant guessing game.

The C6 (minus G'town) are on those networks when they are playing UConn, Cuse, Ville, Pitt, not when they are playing each other.

Reaction Score
How's that $130m year from ESPN looking now???

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-catholic-7-close-reaching-media-rights-deals

"Just two years ago, the Big East turned down a nine-year deal from ESPN worth $1.17 billion, an average of $130 million annually. Since then the bottom has fallen out for the league, which has had 16 schools announce they were leaving during that time.

In April 2011, former Big East commissioner John Marinatto recommended the Big East accept ESPN's nine-year, $1.17 billion deal, but the league's presidents voted to turn it down. That deal would have earned full members $13.8 million a year and non-football members $2.43 million a year.

By comparison, NBC Sports Network's current offer would earn each Big East member about $2 million annually, depending if the league has 11 or 12 members. Navy is scheduled to join in 2015 as its 11th member."

I know the dynamics... Just saying that Marinade is spitting his Chianti out reading this.

Reaction Score
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahajahahahahajah

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
This will get ugly in the press if that's the whole contract. Then again SNY might think they overpaid for the ladies. Rutgers and Notre Dame disappeared from the schedule leaving them with Tulane and ECU and their NYC following.

The C7 for basketball only? Aresco really needs to either do damage control or just giggle and say he gets paid anyway

Reaction Score
if in two years Uconn is still in that league, why would you even keep football?

For starters, because the Rent will still average over 30,000, it will be profitable, and the state and alumni will enthusiastically support it. We can still strive to be Boise East and in a great season make a top tier bowl game.

Reaction Score
How's that $130m year from ESPN looking now???

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-catholic-7-close-reaching-media-rights-deals

"Just two years ago, the Big East turned down a nine-year deal from ESPN worth $1.17 billion, an average of $130 million annually. Since then the bottom has fallen out for the league, which has had 16 schools announce they were leaving during that time.

In April 2011, former Big East commissioner John Marinatto recommended the Big East accept ESPN's nine-year, $1.17 billion deal, but the league's presidents voted to turn it down. That deal would have earned full members $13.8 million a year and non-football members $2.43 million a year.

By comparison, NBC Sports Network's current offer would earn each Big East member about $2 million annually, depending if the league has 11 or 12 members. Navy is scheduled to join in 2015 as its 11th member."

I know the dynamics... Just saying that Marinade is spitting his Chianti out reading this.

Wasn't it like 4 or 5 schools that voted against it? I know Pitt was one. Who were those turds?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The C6 (minus G'town) are on those networks when they are playing UConn, Cuse, Ville, Pitt, not when they are playing each other.

I meant the incoming CUSA teams.

What's Houston vs Memphis rate? SMU vs Tulane? We don't know, because CBSSN isn't Nielsen rated. All we have as a judge are the FX games from the last two years, the CUSA BB title game on CBS and the CUSA FB title game on ABC last year.

zls44

Reaction Score
But it was the school's that left who turned it down.

You keep saying this. It's accurate. But what's it matter?

Reaction Score
So UConn Women's basketball is worth $1.5M to SNY (probably $2M total when you factor in the CBS & ESPN money to the Big East) and UConn basketball and football combined is worth $2.3M??????

Like others have mentioned we could probably get at least $10M if we sold our own TV rights.

Exactly. This figure is BS.

zls44

Reaction Score
Exactly. This figure is BS.

No, it's not.

The SNY deal was signed when UConn was in a conference with the departing teams. If the contract was on the open market today, they might get half. Maybe.

You are comparing apples to elephants.

Reaction Score
If Pudge comes by and writes 350 words on how we can GROW this BRAND and NBCSPORTS, I expect one of you guys will stick a fork in his head.

Consider the POTENTIAL and the shifting DEMOGRAPHICS.

Reaction Score
I meant the incoming CUSA teams.

What's Houston vs Memphis rate? SMU vs Tulane? We don't know, because CBSSN isn't Nielsen rated. All we have as a judge are the FX games from the last two years, the CUSA BB title game on CBS and the CUSA FB title game on ABC last year.

I was referring to the idea that the CYO7 get great coverage now, and that therefore they have some value. I don't think Seton Hall v. DePaul moves that dial just like SMU v. Tulane doesn't move it. Now, long before this whole thing this year happened, I did tune in to watch Memphis. They have some talented players there like Jackson. But they also have a problem--because their great recruiter does not seem like a great head coach.

Reaction Score
F$ck y'all

I refuse to believe this McMurphy crap. I'm not saying that the Brand is worth x or y; I just think it makes zero sense for the Product we have & our Demographics contrasted to Rutgers & then the Central NY team. So ... I expect arbitrage. Meaning someone is going to be able to put together a League that will make money through these at a good market price.

ESPN is the Devil.

Reaction Score
McMurphy doesn't throw something up on twitter unless it has some runway. He's not the speculating type. It has to be close to fact if he's going to broadcast.

As for the C7 value - while there are some slugs/old BE parasites in that league(Hall, DePaul, PC) it will also have some major metro reps and household names(Nova, Gtown, StJ, Mqtte). Furthermore, the league will hold rivalries, history and consistency with no fear of defections. The add ons will be fantastic as well.

Reaction Score
No, it's not.

The SNY deal was signed when UConn was in a conference with the departing teams. If the contract was on the open market today, they might get half. Maybe.

You are comparing apples to elephants.

Again, you seem to miss the fact that SNY is not showing the games UConn basketball plays on ESPN or CBS. It gets the dregs. Even the St. John's game was on ESPNU this week, or some games are on the deuce or even ESPN. I believe CBS might have had Michigan St. Regardless, SNY is only ever showing UConn v. DePaul and the like. I think UConn can easily substitute DePaul with SMU and do just fine. It's the bigger games I'm worried about (i.e. substituting Memphis for Syracuse). That's where Uconn is going to get dinged. In the top number, not the bottom number. The only people watching SNY are UConn fans. The people watching ESPN, on the other hand, are a national audience.

Reaction Score
Maybe we could get another mil if'n we add Georgia State and ODU.

Reaction Score
Maybe we could get another mil if'n we add Georgia State and ODU.

image.jpg

Reaction Score
Those numbers don't make any sense. Not unless its something along the lines of what Dan said... Could this be a leaked offer for a league without UConn?

I'm choosing not to believe that this number is for a league that includes us.

Reaction Score

Those guys are up and comers. They replaced the light bulbs on the scoreboard and renovated the restrooms in the student unions. These are MAJOR CAPITAL investments. GROWTH.

Also, Memphis fans on this board: question for YOU PEOPLE.

When exactly do we get to the part where Fred Smith writes the Conference a 50 million dollar check every year?

Oh that's right, that was only if they got invited to a BCS conference.

WTF did we add those skanks again exactly?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
If the BE has 4 bankable teams in basketball that means there are 12 games of interest assuming they play home and away.

If the C7 has 7 Bankable teams out of 12 and power schedules for they have quadruple or better the Tier 2 content. It's nearly exponential. It's why they bolted. They can curve fit the whole thing to Fox's desire.

UConn football is perceived as worthless and at best like Houston or Boise the best of. A sorry lot.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Reaction Score
According to McMurphy, heap big savoir NBC Sports is offering $20M-$23M per year.

For that money, give the contract away to ESPN rather than have the league on between Bass Masters and Let's Shoot Wildlife on some channel that you need a Sherpa and an oxygen mask to find.

duck* that.
If this is true we need to get the antitrust lawyers out and go for broke to blow this whole thing to hell. That is contrived Stop. This is engineered to elevate some and destroy others. I am sure there enough of a paper trail bury espn. Does Connecticut have a false claims act? Someone in a position to do so should review every term and condition ESPN ever agreed to with the state. I suspect some were knowingly breached as part of their conspiracy to destroy the Big East. The legislature should subpoena. these folks should be destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom