Here's a shocker - the TV contract will suck. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Here's a shocker - the TV contract will suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How's that $130m year from ESPN looking now???

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-catholic-7-close-reaching-media-rights-deals

"Just two years ago, the Big East turned down a nine-year deal from ESPN worth $1.17 billion, an average of $130 million annually. Since then the bottom has fallen out for the league, which has had 16 schools announce they were leaving during that time.

In April 2011, former Big East commissioner John Marinatto recommended the Big East accept ESPN's nine-year, $1.17 billion deal, but the league's presidents voted to turn it down. That deal would have earned full members $13.8 million a year and non-football members $2.43 million a year.

By comparison, NBC Sports Network's current offer would earn each Big East member about $2 million annually, depending if the league has 11 or 12 members. Navy is scheduled to join in 2015 as its 11th member."

I know the dynamics... Just saying that Marinade is spitting his Chianti out reading this.

Everyone from the Big East but UConn, USF and Cincinnati will blow away the money they would have gotten from that deal. The league did the right thing in turning it down.

Reaction Score
Do you really think the bottom of the new conference isn't worse than the old one though?

I think it's worse. I think as far as UConn fans though watching in Conn., it just doesn't matter. I expect the same amount of games on SNY, maybe more.

Here's something else you may not be considering: SNY reported high ratings, almost as though these have exceeded expectations. Indeed, one night they were the highest rated show in the market (not certain if that was for cable or included network TV).

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up.

So you guys are trying to tell me that as the league kept extending invites to teams that don't carry their own weight, the TV contract subsequently kept getting lower and lower?

I'm still pretty sure if we invite Tulsa, UMass and UNCC we can somehow make this up!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
CBS Sports' lead CBB blogger is joking about what a great ACC game ND-UL is.

CLEARLY THIS MEANS CBS HATES THE BIG EAST.

Btw, the guy who fonts CFB Live? He's a Villanova alum.

Z,

Is this really the time for a dozen giddy "I told you so" posts (especially when you didn't actually tell anyone anything of use).

You get to make a decision about whether you are a UConn fan or a troll. Let me know where you come out.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think it's worse. I think as far as UConn fans though watching in Conn., it just doesn't matter. I expect the same amount of games on SNY, maybe more.

Here's something else you may not be considering: SNY reported high ratings, almost as though these have exceeded expectations. Indeed, one night they were the highest rated show in the market (not certain if that was for cable or included network TV).

It included network because the only higher rather program in the market they listed was some network prime time show.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up.

So you guys are trying to tell me that as the league kept extending invites to teams that don't carry their own weight, the TV contract subsequently kept getting lower and lower?

I'm still pretty sure if we invite Tulsa, UMass and UNCC we can somehow make this up!

Hahaha. That's hilarious. Because until you, Zoo and Z started dancing on UConn's grave tonight, the rest of us had no idea how duck*ed we were. Thank you, Captain Obvious.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
CBS Sports' lead CBB blogger is joking about what a great ACC game ND-UL is.

CLEARLY THIS MEANS CBS HATES THE BIG EAST.

Btw, the guy who fonts CFB Live? He's a Villanova alum.

CBS doesn't have our current tv contract, and they are commenting on two teams who are already known to be leaving the conference. They are actually denigrating the ACC now.

Also, who cares if the guy is a Villanova alum?!? You are essentially admitting that you know it happened! There are plenty of other instances like this, as well as many of the color commentators (Gilmore, Herbstreit, etc.) absolutely killing the conference on national tv on a regular basis despite the fact that we were the ACC's equals at worst.

So again, keep "looking" for the proof....PERSISTENCE!!!!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
remember like a year ago when i was talking about a big 16 or 18 team all sports east and west league?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
CBS doesn't have our current tv contract, and they are commenting on two teams who are already known to be leaving the conference. They are actually denigrating the ACC now.

Also, who cares if the guy is a Villanova alum?!? You are essentially admitting that you know it happened! There are plenty of other instances like this, as well as many of the color commentators (Gilmore, Herbstreit, etc.) absolutely killing the conference on national tv on a regular basis despite the fact that we were the ACC's equals at worst.

So again, keep "looking" for the proof....PERSISTENCE!!!!

CBS does have a contract with the Big East. Has for twenty five years.

I know it happened because I was watching the show and saw the graphic.

I've said my piece. BL has said his. It is what it is, nobody's changing anyone's mind.

Reaction Score
Everyone from the Big East but UConn, USF and Cincinnati will blow away the money they would have gotten from that deal. The league did the right thing in turning it down.

...not the C-7. Only Pitt, Rutgirls Syracuse, WVA and Ville.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Hahaha. That's hilarious. Because until you, Zoo and Z started dancing on UConn's grave tonight, the rest of us had no idea how duck*ed we were. Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Yeah, we're all happy about our situation.

In the meantime you want to sue everyone associated with college football and bring the government into this?

You realize in the whole country, the ONLY schools that are worse off due to the latest restructuring of college football are: UConn, Cinci, USF, Idaho and New Mexico State? Every single other school is going to make more money and have better access than they had before.

The only hope we have is:

That the B1G can lure UVA and we come as #16. OR
That the B1G can lure UVA and +1 from ACC and the ACC reloads with UConn and Cinci (or USF) to get back to 14.

The fact that you even think for 1 second that people on The Boneyard are even remotely happy with what's going on, just shows how insane you are.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
CBS does have a contract with the Big East. Has for twenty five years.

I know it happened because I was watching the show and saw the graphic.

I've said my piece. BL has said his. It is what it is, nobody's changing anyone's mind.

Good point about the Big East - CBS contract. My bad. They get a minimum of 14 hoops games every year. As I said, the comment you posted about CBS was denigrating the ACC.

You're right that you aren't going to change anyone's mind, so then why do you keep saying things like "prove it"? We're going to continue to push the same examples on to you that you are already aware of. HFD just put another one up in a different thread about Vitale saying tonight that Ville-ND would be a 12-13 matchup in the ACC. It goes on and on.

Look, I get it; they are your employer, and you don't want to speak poorly of them. I wouldn't want to speak poorly of my employer. But I sure as hell wouldn't vehemently defend them either when the evidence has more than mounted...

Reaction Score
If this contract is true, The Big East is worth more dead than alive
Why not allow the the C7 to leave next year.
We will give them the right to the name but Zero money.
The three remaining teams in the Big East dissolve the conference and divide the assets.
That's more than we will make in 10 years with the projected TV package.
Use those dollars to build the best programs we can.
Start a new league with the final three as a base.

Reaction Score
I see your DePaul and raise you Tulane, SMU, Houston, ECU and Central Florida.

Yes, this is the point.

The *worst* schools in the Catholic 7 are going to be DePaul, Providence and Seton Hall. These are still programs that have been to the Final Four in the Magic/Bird era, are located in major markets, have long histories and tradition, and have still been to the NCAA Tournament in the past decade. (Yes, even DePaul has gone in the past decade.) That actually compares extremely favorably to any other conference (e.g. look at Northwestern, Penn State and Nebraska basketball in the Big Ten). The point is that having DePaul as a dreg (a traditional program in the nation's third largest TV market) is nothing like having ECU as a dreg.

I've said from the beginning that the Catholic 7 was going to end up with a much better TV contract than what football-focused realignment observers believed. They have brand names, tradition, major markets and a strong collective identity.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We're going to continue to push the same examples on to you that you are already aware of. HFD just put another one up in a different thread about Vitale saying tonight that Ville-ND would be a 12-13 matchup in the ACC. It goes on and on.

Dude, he didn't actually say that.

You need to be a lot faster on the uptake.

But, no question, ESPN took the Big East for a ride, left the gun and took the cannoli.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Who didn't? Vitale? Or HFD?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

But, no question, ESPN took the Big East for a ride, left the gun and took the cannoli.

This is HFD's quote: dickie v "these teams will probally finish 12 and 13th in the acc, its a tuff league"

If it was done in jest, then that's my fault. However, you and I are both aware of the situation. That's why I highlighted your edit to your post, since it's the thing that matters...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
i said it lol dickie v did not(yet...)

the scary part is its not far off and believable

That's the problem! It sounded like Dickie V to me. But I've shoveled 86 metric tons of snow today, so I'm a little loopy...:confused:

Reaction Score

You're right Georgia State and ODU will put us over the top though.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Well, there we have it then.

If...IF....the C-7 contract is actually twice as much as ours with FOX, then don't be shocked to see UConn and Cincy pimping right now to the MW for some sort of weird eastern version of the league in football only and then the C-7 as an olympic home. The final question is what is the actual value of the C-7 FOX offer then...I'm going to go to the bathroom to throw up now...

p.s.
Can't wait for ESPN to bid 23 million and 1 dollar, like on The Price Is Right...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
1) uh and smu will take utep and tulsa and pack bags for the mwc quick
2) f espn, but i will take them over any other now just becuase its sports center vs no sportscenter. simple as that now when your not makin $....

3) if im warde, i devsie a plan with cincy and no one else. the 2 of u together come up with a pitch to the mwc, pac, b12, b10, sec and mac. u offer each of those leagues scheduling alliances. both teams offer the following
-2 football games a year( 1 h, 1 a)
-4 bball games m/w (2/2)

if u can get atleast 4 of the league to bite on this, then it makes sense $ wise. both of u seel to sny and something for cincy and then join the c7. your bball and other survive, u also get some great ooc games in bball. in fball u have alliances with a couple league where they get not power 5 but not crap ooc games that will do ok to good on tv. that will make each school good $ and keep them relevent...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
1) uh and smu will take utep and tulsa and pack bags for the mwc quick
2) f espn, but i will take them over any other now just becuase its sports center vs no sportscenter. simple as that now when your not makin $....

3) if im warde, i devsie a plan with cincy and no one else. the 2 of u together come up with a pitch to the mwc, pac, b12, b10, sec and mac. u offer each of those leagues scheduling alliances. both teams offer the following
-2 football games a year( 1 h, 1 a)
-4 bball games m/w (2/2)

if u can get atleast 4 of the league to bite on this, then it makes sense $ wise. both of u seel to sny and something for cincy and then join the c7. your bball and other survive, u also get some great ooc games in bball. in fball u have alliances with a couple league where they get not power 5 but not crap ooc games that will do ok to good on tv. that will make each school good $ and keep them relevent...

Great minds think alike. So do mediocre ones, so I'm not sure which we are, but there is agreement here... ;)

Reaction Score
Yes, this is the point.

The *worst* schools in the Catholic 7 are going to be DePaul, Providence and Seton Hall. These are still programs that have been to the Final Four in the Magic/Bird era, are located in major markets, have long histories and tradition, and have still been to the NCAA Tournament in the past decade. (Yes, even DePaul has gone in the past decade.) That actually compares extremely favorably to any other conference (e.g. look at Northwestern, Penn State and Nebraska basketball in the Big Ten). The point is that having DePaul as a dreg (a traditional program in the nation's third largest TV market) is nothing like having ECU as a dreg.

I've said from the beginning that the Catholic 7 was going to end up with a much better TV contract than what football-focused realignment observers believed. They have brand names, tradition, major markets and a strong collective identity.

If you're going to go back that far, the Magic/Bird era, then please note you left out SMU football and Houston basketball. In fact, Houston was better than all those teams during those years, and they made much more of an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom