Here's a shocker - the TV contract will suck. | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Here's a shocker - the TV contract will suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
People should not dismiss the right of first refusal. It plays a huge role in all of this.

Reaction Score
All of this goes right to the heart of all the CR - whatever can make things worse for Uconn will happen.

Reaction Score
The single biggest misconception in conference realignment is the notion that football in and of itself is what drives value. That's absolutely incorrect. Brand names are the ones that drive value. Sure, a top level football program is going to be much more valuable than top level basketball program. There's no question about that. However, the mistake is in thinking that a league of low level football brand names would be more valuable than a league of top level basketball brand names. Even if you were to argue that a bad football game gets better ratings than a good basketball game, that only tells you a fraction of the story. A football game is expensive to produce and there are only a limited number of time slots that you can play that game in, while basketball is relatively inexpensive to produce and you can place it in virtually any time slot on any day of the week. Those massive dollar amounts for football are in exchange for the expectation that you are drawing extraordinary ratings that few programs are able to garner these days. If you're not getting extraordinary ratings, though, then your value in football goes down. A 1.0 rating for basketball is much more profitable than a 1.0 rating for football. So, what networks need for football are numbers at the 3.0 level or higher for 1st tier games or else you're not going to get a premium for them.

Beyond that, McMurphy pointed out something VERY important in his Tweets last night: Fox approached the Catholic 7 BEFORE they decided to split off. So, if you think that the C7 is getting overpaid, then you might be correct. However, Fox HAD to overpay them in order to make the decision to split. The C7 wouldn't have split if they were merely going to get the same amount that they would have received in a hybrid. It's pointless to try to compared the value of the C7 offer to the Big East offer because the C7 offer was specifically made big enough as a catalyst to get a group of 7 schools to defect from a league, while the Big East offer is a "normal" run of the mill TV rights offer. As a result, you have a situation where (1) Fox actually effectively paid the Big East to split up, so they're not interested in the "New Big East" and only want the C7 and (2) ESPN's interest in the New Big East has been tepid at best. Regardless of whether you go line-by-line and say the Big East *should* be worth more than the C7, the fact is that there's only one suitor here with NBC... and despite what people might wish, NBC has absolutely zero incentive to bid against itself and bid up the price of the Big East as a charitable measure. It's simple market forces - only one network wants the Big East here, so they're going to get paid as if though only one network wants them and there wasn't a bidding war for the rights.

well said frank. still doesnt mean uconn should commit to this. they have only 1 brand to protect and thats their own. by agreeing to this absurd tv contract, they are essentially devaluing that brand to pennies on the dollar.

Reaction Score
Do you think ESPN matches?

Yes, of course it will. This is pennies on the dollar for UConn.

Several years ago, the ESPN made a deal with CUSA (and this is CUSA without UConn, Cincy and USF) paying them $500k per. So we know the CUSA schools were worth $500k alone a few years ago when the deal was signed. Say they're worth $700k now. 11 schools x $700k = $7.7m. Assume schools like UAB, Marshall, UTEP and Rice and the like are the dregs and that the 6 the BE took are worth say an average of $300k more. $6m for the 6. $1m per. This would mean that UConn, Cincy, USF, Temple and Navy are worth the rest. $23 - $6 = $17m divided by 5 = $3.3m. That's what the NBE schools get paid now.

I don't see that as an onerous amount for ESPN to match, and even if ESPN doesn't match it, they should negotiate some deal with ESPN regardless.

Build the product on ESPN, not on NBC.

Reaction Score
More than anything we need programs to switch conferences. I have some hope after hear the WVU AD on Youtube the other day - basically says Big12 cant stay at 10 and this is not over.

Reaction Score
On NBC Sports Network now.....go-kart racing....what an awesome lead in to UConn-SMU that would be!!

Reaction Score
On NBC Sports Network now.....go-kart racing....what an awesome lead in to UConn-SMU that would be!!

I'd rather add Louisiana Tech than go with NBC.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'd rather add Louisiana Tech than go with NBC.

Same here. Everyone talks about the 'death of the Big East', well, making $2M/year on NBC Sports would all but assure that.

Even if we are making awful TV money, having some games on ESPN (and in turn SportsCenter) keeps us in the national conscience.

Reaction Score
UCF better than RU? That's funny.

RU has had more winning seasons and been to more bowl games over theast 10 years than UCF has. RU also spanked UCF head to head in the St. Pete's Bowl a few years ago. RU has been rankd more times in the top 20 then UCF, and been in the top 10 twice in that time period. UCF has no appearances in the top 10.

But sure, if it makes you feel better to say UCF is better, have at it.
really, RU beat UCF a couple years ago and that makes them better? UConn beat USC and ND within the past three years...
Rutgers has a long history. That's it. How many Big East titles do they have?

Reaction Score
Rutgers should be congratulated on a short term Football fix. However, they have a 35 year record of college sports ignominy. A few years of women's hoop. UCF has ever sign of being a robust program - across the boards. For decades.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You guys look like absolute morons trying to discredit the Rutgers Football program.

Rutgers won the Big East this season, plays in the largest DMA in America, has fertile recruiting grounds and just joined the most prestigious athletic conference in America.

Yet, you guys are going to sit here and proclaim Central Florida has been just as good. Based on what? Beating a 6-7 Georgia team in a bowl game 3 years ago?

Look, I hate Rutgers Football and loved the rivalry with them, but to have to read through this drivel is painful.

Reaction Score
You guys look like absolute morons trying to discredit the Rutgers Football program.

Rutgers won the Big East this season, plays in the largest DMA in America, has fertile recruiting grounds and just joined the most prestigious athletic conference in America.

Yet, you guys are going to sit here and proclaim Central Florida has been just as good. Based on what? Beating a 6-7 Georgia team in a bowl game 3 years ago?

Look, I hate Rutgers Football and loved the rivalry with them, but to have to read through this drivel is painful.

Stop being an arse. Did you read my post? I said RU shouldn't have been included on my list. Nonetheless, you're not going to sit here and tell us about the greatness of RU, are you? That was a pure Penn State play for the BTN through and through. And NYC can give 2 less about college football. In fact, they don't stand a chance in hell of adding BTN to NYC cable. Not a chance.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Stop being an arse. Did you read my post? I said RU shouldn't have been included on my list. Nonetheless, you're not going to sit here and tell us about the greatness of RU, are you? That was a pure Penn State play for the BTN through and through. And NYC can give 2 s less about college football. In fact, they don't stand a chance in hell of adding BTN to NYC cable. Not a chance.

I noticed that you retracted Rutgers from your list - I should have specifically excluded you. That's my bad.

The thing is, they don't need BTN on NYC Cable. They just need it in NJ to make it a worthwhile addition.

I'm also pretty sure Delany thinks there's at least a chance that he can get a higher subscriber fee in NYC as well with their addition.

Rutgers has had 1 bad season in 2010 and aside from that they've won 7,11,8,8,9,4,9,9 games in an underrated Big East. That to me, is the sign of a pretty good program and followed the trajectory we were on before the P era.

Reaction Score
really, RU beat UCF a couple years ago and that makes them better? UConn beat USC and ND within the past three years...
Rutgers has a long history. That's it. How many Big East titles do they have?

I'm saying that in one of UCF's best years, they got spanked in a bowl game by a Rutgers team that had a very mediocre year. That should point out to anyone just how different these programs are.

Sorry if that flew over your head.

By the way, Rutgers just won a Big East Championship last year. I guess you weren't paying attention.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Four honest questions on TV deal:

1. If this ends up being the deal, what options are there to get rid of Aresco. His salary would almost be the same share as UConn's and as a percentage higher than probably any other league commission;
2. Do the new members get the same cut as USF, Cinci, UConn? If so, why?? No other league allows new members to get full share up front, not even Nebraska.
3. Why would NBC low-ball so significantly knowing that ESPN can match and get a sweet-heart deal. They need to be aggressive: they need content, and if they aren't going to get it they should at least make their competitor pay;
4. I'm assuming this is for 2014...any news on the contract next year?

PS. I am pissed with this news. NBC Sports would get to up their fee in CT and essentially earn almost the entire $23M on CT cable sets alone. What a joke. WM better be looking at some other options.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Rutger's won the BE this year? Weird. I thought Lville won this year and played in the Sugar Bowl.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

1. If this ends up being the deal, what options are there to get rid of Aresco. His salary would almost be the same share as UConn's and as a percentage higher than probably any other league commission;
2. Do the new members get the same cut as USF, Cinci, UConn? If so, why?? No other league allows new members to get full share up front, not even Nebraska.
3. Why would NBC low-ball so significantly knowing that ESPN can match and get a sweet-heart deal. They need to be aggressive: they need content, and if they aren't going to get it they should at least make their competitor pay;

PS. I am pissed with this news. NBC Sports would get to up their fee in CT and essentially earn almost the entire $23M on CT cable sets alone. What a ing joke. WM better be looking at some other options.

warde just got the weather channel app on is ipad today. he will look into this contract bs u are talking about later this week. no biggie.

Reaction Score

PS. I am pissed with this news. NBC Sports would get to up their fee in CT and essentially earn almost the entire $23M on CT cable sets alone. What a ing joke. WM better be looking at some other options.

WM is monitoring the situation.

Reaction Score
I noticed that you retracted Rutgers from your list - I should have specifically excluded you. That's my bad.

The thing is, they don't need BTN on NYC Cable. They just need it in NJ to make it a worthwhile addition.

I'm also pretty sure Delany thinks there's at least a chance that he can get a higher subscriber fee in NYC as well with their addition.

Rutgers has had 1 bad season in 2010 and aside from that they've won 7,11,8,8,9,4,9,9 games in an underrated Big East. That to me, is the sign of a pretty good program and followed the trajectory we were on before the P era.

That's fine that they'll add NJ cable. It may blow up in their face, but probably not. But BTN adding Rutgers simply doesn't mean Rutgers has suddenly improved. In fact, during that stretch that you're listing here, they lost their share to some abysmal schools. Personally, I don't think RU can sneer at UCF. I think Rutgers is better, but I don't see this as being a laughable comparison. If football prowess had anything to do with the B1G's thinking, they wouldn't have invited Rutgers nor Maryland.

Reaction Score
Rutger's won the BE this year? Weird. I thought Lville won this year and played in the Sugar Bowl.

Not weird. Rutgers was a Co-Winner of the Big East. Louisville won the tie-breaker which determines who goes to the BCS game...but RU gets a championship nonetheless. Weird, UCONN has two co-championships in football....so I would think you would be familiar with how this works.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
So.

Should the C-7 have added the 3 teams they wanted to Football? Could it be any worse?

Will Navy sneer at the new BE purse and stay where they are under Arescos old contracts with CBS, Army and Notre Dame?

From 2008
Army will play Navy in college football on CBS for 10 more years under a new contract announced by the network Thursday.

The game also will be streamed live and free on CBSSports.com, where members of the armed forces around the world will be able to watch it.

“The Army-Navy game is a national treasure, and moving the game to the second Saturday in December will, over the next decade, permit the entire nation once again to embrace this great rivalry and its poignant traditions,” said Mike Aresco, executive VP for programming at CBS Sports. “There is no more fitting way to conclude the college football regular season.”

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The relevant question is whether UConn can sneer at UCF or USF if the ACC needs to replace a Florida Team or two. With Raycom all over Ohio and in Cincy we know where their due diligence reporting will come down

Reaction Score
I'm saying that in one of UCF's best years, they got spanked in a bowl game by a Rutgers team that had a very mediocre year. That should point out to anyone just how different these programs are.

Sorry if that flew over your head.

By the way, Rutgers just won a Big East Championship last year. I guess you weren't paying attention.
let me hit you right between the eyes so this doesnt fly over yor head... rutgers is the definition of mediocre.
they are a good school, in a great location, that has a long history. and now they are sitting on the winning lottery ticket. do not confuse any of that with any meaningful success on the field in any sport.

Reaction Score
If the NBC offer is that meager sell the whole thing to sny for fifty million or so. I bet they would take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom