Hamidou Diallo Graduates | Page 43 | The Boneyard

Hamidou Diallo Graduates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nobody is rationalizing anything. Determining whether to declare for the draft or return to school is a tough decision, and there are positives and negatives to each decision. To the extent that you hear about other kids returning to school being a commendable choice is probably because it has already happened and as such it makes sense to accentuate the benefits of returning, i.e. the phenomenon you speak of does not exist.

I know there is a tendency to reduce everything to black-and-white but it is possible that there is no universal guidepost to making a decision like this and that it is unique to each persons character.
Let me put it this way. It feels like, for every person who questions why a projected first round recruit would return to another school, 10 people jump in with those benefits you speak of. But when one person says that they think one of our kids should stay, 10 people jump in and say why he should leave. The implication is that only other schools have those benefits and that our program is some sort of red headed stepchild. Maybe it is just my perception of the dialog on this board. You apparently don't have the same perception.

Reaction Score
Squid does seem to be looking into backup plans. It might just be prudent recruiting strategy, but does anyone really think he'd concede a player to another school?

If Cal is really starting to look at other options because he thinks Diallo isn't coming, it's much more likely to be because he thinks Diallo is going to the NBA than that he's going to UConn.

Reaction Score
Squid does seem to be looking into backup plans. It might just be prudent recruiting strategy, but does anyone really think he'd concede a player to another school?

If Cal is really starting to look at other options because he thinks Diallo isn't coming, it's much more likely to be because he thinks Diallo is going to the NBA than that he's going to UConn.

My thoughts exactly.

Reaction Score

What makes you say that?

Reaction Score
I understand the NBA rumors, but let's not forget this is all because he said something like "it's an option I'm looking into" when prompted by reporters after playing half the day, in a back corner of a gym, at 17 years old. His most recent quotes are that "I'm still locked into college." That says more than any of the speculation that's being written.

Were reading the tea leaves just a little too closely here. It could go either way. Definitely not a given.

Reaction Score
I understand the NBA rumors, but let's not forget this is all because he said something like "it's an option I'm looking into" when prompted by reporters after playing half the day, in a back corner of a gym, at 17 years old. His most recent quotes are that "I'm still locked into college." That says more than any of the speculation that's being written.

Were reading the tea leaves just a little too closely here. It could go either way. Definitely not a given.
Not gonna speak for anyone else, but my concerns over him going to the NBA don't have anything to do with his comments. Given the current rules regarding draft eligibility it makes a lot of sense for guys in his position to consider entering the draft to make money as opposed to going to college (ala Thon Maker this year).

Reaction Score
Not gonna speak for anyone else, but my concerns over him going to the NBA don't have anything to do with his comments. Given the current rules regarding draft eligibility it makes a lot of sense for guys in his position to consider entering the draft to make money as opposed to going to college (ala Thon Maker this year).

That's fair but some are going overboard when he has pretty consistently said he wants college. TONS of kids do a pg year and aren't being talked about for the draft like this.

Reaction Score
What makes you say that?

I have a hard time believing that a guy who says "I can get any kid, any time" will acknowledge that he's lost a recruit to another school. The NBA, that's a whole other animal.

Of course, my entire post was predicated on the premise (that big italicized "If") that Cal is backing away from Diallo because he thinks he's not going to UK. If that's not the case, then forget it.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure I remember Calipari(as well as every other college coach) conceding Drummond as either UConn or straight to the NBA out of prep school. There were reports during the spring and summer AAU circuit of JC and his staff really being the only coaches watching Drummond.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
All I can say is that the last time we had a top ten player like this from a local Prep school, who was wavering and some thought might go to the league...he dragged it out forever, came to UConn for one season, and was a lottery pick (way too late at #9). Now he plays for the Pistons.

I know nothing about HD except what I read here, but hanging around campus, coming to first night...it suggests to me that he will follow the same path.

Reaction Score
All I can say is that the last time we had a top ten player like this from a local Prep school, who was wavering and some thought might go to the league...he dragged it out forever, came to UConn for one season, and was a lottery pick (way too late at #9). Now he plays for the Pistons.

I know nothing about HD except what I read here, but hanging around campus, coming to first night...it suggests to me that he will follow the same path.
Allen iver son?

Reaction Score
Let me put it this way. It feels like, for every person who questions why a projected first round recruit would return to another school, 10 people jump in with those benefits you speak of. But when one person says that they think one of our kids should stay, 10 people jump in and say why he should leave. The implication is that only other schools have those benefits and that our program is some sort of red headed stepchild. Maybe it is just my perception of the dialog on this board. You apparently don't have the same perception.

I just feel like it is more natural to play devils advocate. We're all UConn fans here. We know there are a lot of great reasons to play basketball here. It goes without saying.

Reaction Score

So he told Cal but hasn't told Miller and Ollie who still consistently go to Putnam?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I thought someone posted that the rumor Cal stopped recruiting Hami was false.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure I remember Calipari(as well as every other college coach) conceding Drummond as either UConn or straight to the NBA out of prep school. There were reports during the spring and summer AAU circuit of JC and his staff really being the only coaches watching Drummond.

He might have conceded but he still camped out at stm watching andre....i know....i sat next to him and had to listen to his bitching

Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing that a guy who says "I can get any kid, any time" will acknowledge that he's lost a recruit to another school. The NBA, that's a whole other animal.

That's just silly. If that were true, Calipari would be on every top 10 recruit until the bitter end. Certainly he's recognized in the past that a recruit is leaning toward Duke or Arizona or whatever and hedged his bets by recruiting other guys.

I detest Calipari, and am generally in favor of bashing him whenever possible - but you're suggesting he's stupid and even I can't argue that's true.

Reaction Score
That's fair but some are going overboard when he has pretty consistently said he wants college. TONS of kids do a pg year and aren't being talked about for the draft like this.

Every kid also says he's going to college up until he isn't. If he's hearing top-10 going into next season's draft, he's taking it.

Reaction Score
Every kid also says he's going to college up until he isn't. If he's hearing top-10 going into next season's draft, he's taking it.

True. He'd be a fool not to. I just don't think he's going to be taken that high in the draft if he declares, or anything close to that. We'll have to wait and see what scouts are thinking about his game.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
True. He'd be a fool not to. I just don't think he's going to be taken that high in the draft if he declares, or anything close to that. We'll have to wait and see what scouts are thinking about his game.

As of now, NBA Draft .net has him going #3 in 2018.

Reaction Score
Looks like draftexpress has him at #11 in 2018.

It's hard to say what scouts will think of him, but they're definitely more willing to take risks on big men than guards... on the other hand, Hami's athletcism is not normal, even for a draft prospect.

Reaction Score

Agreed. But if you look at Hami's history of doing what he says he is going to do, it's impressive for a young man. He has integrity in my opinion. I would not hold it against him if he jumps over CBB but the kid has stuck to what he has said in the past. #fivein18

Reaction Score
Agreed. But if you look at Hami's history of doing what he says he is going to do, it's impressive for a young man. He has integrity in my opinion. I would not hold it against him if he jumps over CBB but the kid has stuck to what he has said in the past. #fivein18

Like what? I am not arguing that he isn't impressive, but where is this track record?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Like what? I am not arguing that he isn't impressive, but where is this track record?
Your glasses aren't tinted National Flag Blue enough to see.

Reaction Score
He could have easily left PSA, instead his sheer presence has turned them into a must see for scouts. It really does show strong ties in that coach and program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom