Give Weist the Kevin Ollie Deal | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Give Weist the Kevin Ollie Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
SeoulHuskyFan said:
This years schedule was almost all weakness with a light sprinkling of mediocrity - UCF, Cincy, Ville were decent, everyone else not so much...

Ya, that ranked Michigan team that just lost to #3 O$U (and now national title contender) by 1, they really suck.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Ya, that ranked Michigan team that just lost to #3 O$U (and now national title contender) by 1, they really suck.

yes they do, and they really sucked at the rent. 3-5 in the B1G, 7-5 overall with a close win over us. If you want to think they are better than mediocre, have at it.

Reaction Score
Ok lets look at what has hapoened since sept 30. Oline play much improved w all can agree on that. Wide receivers including young dhameer bradley an brian lamelle deshon fox. All playing very well. When have we had so many weapons for wideouts. Boyle was in motion before weist became hc so i credit him for making change to cochran. Also a great decision. This has all been done in less than two months. We could probably have him for a million or less. I dont know of a coach we are looking at that is going to do better than this. Sorry i do t see naduZi or lembo for alot more money doing more. Give tj two years and if he fails see who is available then. The market could be better.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Ok lets look at what has hapoened since sept 30. Oline play much improved w all can agree on that. Wide receivers including young dhameer bradley an brian lamelle deshon fox. All playing very well. When have we had so many weapons for wideouts. Boyle was in motion before weist became hc so i credit him for making change to cochran. Also a great decision. This has all been done in less than two months. We could probably have him for a million or less. I dont know of a coach we are looking at that is going to do better than this. Sorry i do t see naduZi or lembo for alot more money doing more. Give tj two years and if he fails see who is available then. The market could be better.

I agree with a lot of what you just said. But here are a couple of thoughts to add to it for you to consider:

1) We shouldn't make a coaching decision based on the fact that we think we can get someone "on the cheap". He is either the right guy or not. Don't let the 1 million price tag define who leads us forward.

2) He has shown himself to be a very good motivator and has done a nice job with the tough situation that he was given. But can he recruit? Who would be his OC choice? Is there someone that could handle the entire head coaching package better than he can that is currently available (or made to be available at the right price)?

I think that TJ should get an interview, and I think that he will get an interview. Whether or not he is the most qualified applicant for UConn is yet to be seen, and I think that a short contract is very short-sighted, no pun intended...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Thing is, Weist was already given a one year contract in effect by being interim HC this year. Giving him a one year extension is the weakest move an AD could make. It's totally small time. Give him a real contract, or give it to someone else.

Reaction Score
If he wins next week, it would be insane not to seriously consider him. He basically rebuilt the O side of the ball after after having it be mind screwed for 2+ years. Not sure he's worked a miracle, but what he's got going is impressive. Today we saw a solid team with kids making plays and really haven't seen that in a very long time.

Reaction Score
I'm going to let you guys in on a little secret:

UConn is a good job. UConn can spend millions of dollars on a head football coach.

It's a program that Randy Edsall was able to take to a BCS bowl and two conference championships.

Edsall can coach circles around guys like Weist and Don Brown. This program can do a lot better than Edsall.

Will you please open your minds past proven mediocrities just because you know their names?

Seriously, Weist and Brown are the epitome of small minded dead end hires.
Ok after losing tody may e saban will be frustrated with alabama an cone coach here. We are not an overly attractive job. We need to have the ability to spot potential and scout coaching ability because all these names bei g mentioned especially lembo are going p5. Not american.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of what you just said. But here are a couple of thoughts to add to it for you to consider:

1) We shouldn't make a coaching decision based on the fact that we think we can get someone "on the cheap". He is either the right guy or not. Don't let the 1 million price tag define who leads us forward.

2) He has shown himself to be a very good motivator and has done a nice job with the tough situation that he was given. But can he recruit? Who would be his OC choice? Is there someone that could handle the entire head coaching package better than he can that is currently available (or made to be available at the right price)?

I think that TJ should get an interview, and I think that he will get an interview. Whether or not he is the most qualified applicant for UConn is yet to be seen, and I think that a short contract is very short-sighted, no pun intended...
Its not that i want him on the cheap its just considering value. I see him as a great value who on time will earn a big contract.

Recruiting is my main concern with him and a coaching chamge is going to sting recruiting for a year. Every candidate is going to have pros and cons but i think tj will still be able to recruit the types of olayers we usually get. Plus i think weather or not u liked coach p. He did recruit well. He did leave us a nice cushion of good players

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Im happy for tj. Best case he sbould parlay this into a p5, oc job.
This is interesting...a few people have mentioned that TJ should be an OC somewhere after this season. However, aren't we currently drooling over the hope that a P5 coordinator might want to coach at UConn (Narduzzi) yet we wouldn't want to have TJ be the coach if he could be a P5 coordinator somewhere? I'm in agreement that TJ would not be the best choice for HC because I truly believe that this team needs a thorough cleansing. I just find it interesting that we want a P5 coordinator but not TJ who could possibly be a P5 coordinator....

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Its not that i want him on the cheap its just considering value. I see him as a great value who on time will earn a big contract.

Recruiting is my main concern with him and a coaching chamge is going to sting recruiting for a year. Every candidate is going to have pros and cons but i think tj will still be able to recruit the types of olayers we usually get. Plus i think weather or not u liked coach p. He did recruit well. He did leave us a nice cushion of good players
What awesome recruiting class do we have lined up right now that you are so worried about losing right now? Also, we can have a new HC in place by New Year's, if not before Christmas. It's not like P had a top 20 class lined up that we're desperate to keep. If UConn is going to base its coaching decision on one recruiting class, and we don't think a new HC can match that level, then we truly are duckked.

Reaction Score
What awesome recruiting class do we have lined up right now that you are so worried about losing right now? Also, we can have a new HC in place by New Year's, if not before Christmas. It's not like P had a top 20 class lined up that we're desperate to keep. If UConn is going to base its coaching decision on one recruiting class, and we don't think a new HC can match that level, then we truly are duckked.
I was referring to the last signing class. Actually last two i would rate as very good. We even have some freshman starting. I was not referring to the unsigned current ones. Just saying the cabinet is not bare

Reaction Score
I think uconn should have 2-3 top candidates that they want. Narduzzi (mich st dc), Mullen (Miss St) or Lembo (ball state) I'm sure there's a couple slam dunk candidates I'm missing. But if they don't hit on their slam dunk candidates I think Weist is the fall back hire which isn't bad. But he can't lose to Memphis though!!! If we offer 2.5-4 million I think we can find someone that get this program going!!!

Reaction Score
Like some others, I am glad for TJ. But college football is pageantry. TJ is not a splash hire. He should have no issue finding a job somewhere. Would not mind him staying with us.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

I'm also of the mindset that he brought in good talent. He apparently couldn't coach them, and was dumb enough to have GDL run them on offense, but he brought in good ones.

By my count, here is the percentage of PP's recruits that are already in the 2-deep:

3 of 8 from the OLine (some names "double-up", so it doesn't add up to 10)
2 of 3 from TE
3 of 4 from WR (not including Lemelle)
4 of 4 from QB
0 of 2 from RB
2 of 8 from DL
4 of 6 from LB
3 of 8 from Secondary (not including Jhavon Williams)

Total Percentage = 49% currently

That's actually a lot, when considering that he only has 2012 and 2013 recruiting classes (*also has Ashiru, Campenni, and Hemingway from 2011). So yeah, I would agree that he has done well on the recruiting front. Man, if only he knew what the hell to do with them!!! :confused:

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Like some others, I am glad for TJ. But college football is pageantry. TJ is not a splash hire. He should have no issue finding a job somewhere. Would not mind him staying with us.

I don't think he can stay. I don't think TJ is the kind of guy to undermine anyone... but you can't take the chance that mixed loyalties would interfere, etc.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I really like TJ. I think he inherited an impossible situation and has done as good a job as you could do with it... but we need to do better than the former WR coach at Cincinnati. We've got to get the best guy available out there... and as much as I respect TJ... I don't think he is it.

Reaction Score
IMind said:
I really like TJ. I think he inherited an impossible situation and has done as good a job as you could do with it... but we need to do better than the former WR coach at Cincinnati. We've got to get the best guy available out there... and as much as I respect TJ... I don't think he is it.

He may have what it takes, but there is way too much uncertainty, making it a risk not worth taking.

Reaction Score
I think uconn should have 2-3 top candidates that they want. Narduzzi (mich st dc), Mullen (Miss St) or Lembo (ball state) I'm sure there's a couple slam dunk candidates I'm missing. But if they don't hit on their slam dunk candidates I think Weist is the fall back hire which isn't bad. But he can't lose to Memphis though!!! If we offer 2.5-4 million I think we can find someone that get this program going!!!
the only ca
Whaler shows that he does not have a strong sense of irony when he makes a post like this.
what is ironic is that both coaches uconn and maryland should be replacing their hc with their oc. Mike locksey is the man behind what little success maryland has. He got diggs to commit. Edsall has done nothing but screw up that good school.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Srqhusky said:
the only ca

what is ironic is that both coaches uconn and maryland should be replacing their hc with their oc. Mike locksey is the man behind what little success maryland has. He got diggs to commit. Edsall has done nothing but screw up that good school.

You have got to get out of the moonshine because you've totally and completely damaged your brain at this point.

For as dumb an idea hiring Weist at UConn is OVER THREE GOOD HALVES AGAINST TEMPLE AND RUTGERS - Mike Locksley may be the single least successful head coach in FBS history.

I only hope that you post this nonsense to get a rise out of someone like me and for your sake you aren't this clueless - but you did wash P's balls til the end... So it's probably hopeless.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
You have got to get out of the moonshine because you've totally and completely damaged your brain at this point.

For as dumb an idea hiring Weist at UConn is OVER THREE GOOD HALVES AGAINST TEMPLE AND RUTGERS - Mike Locksley may be the single least successful head coach in FBS history.

I only hope that you post this nonsense to get a rise out of someone like me and for your sake you aren't this clueless - but you did wash P's balls til the end... So it's probably hopeless.

You should have your list by now. So let us have it...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
minidarren said:
You should have your list by now. So let us have it...

Glad you are so excited to get your hands on it. I'm throwing out Mullen and any employed P5 head coach or major SEC coordinator to keep the list realistic.

Pete Lembo, Ball State
Pat Narduzzi, Michigan State
Dave Clawson, Bowling Green
Mark Hudspeth, ULL
Really in no order of preference yet

Longer shots I'd interview in no order
Rob Ambrose, Towson
Bobby Wilder, Old Dominion
Rod Carey, Northern Illinois
Joey Jones, South Alabama
Craig Bohl, North Dakota State
Jeff Quinn, Buffalo

Guy I'd interview to just pick his brain
Joe Moglia, Coastal Carolina

Reaction Score
Glad you are so excited to get your hands on it. I'm throwing out Mullen and any employed P5 head coach or major SEC coordinator to keep the list realistic.

Pete Lembo, Ball State
Pat Narduzzi, Michigan State
Dave Clawson, Bowling Green
Mark Hudspeth, ULL
Really in no order of preference yet

Longer shots I'd interview in no order
Rob Ambrose, Towson
Bobby Wilder, Old Dominion
Rod Carey, Northern Illinois
Joey Jones, South Alabama
Craig Bohl, North Dakota State
Jeff Quinn, Buffalo

Guy I'd interview to just pick his brain
Joe Moglia, Coastal Carolina
I am with you, Weist isn't on my list either

Reaction Score
Let me make it clear, I'm not saying Weist should be given a job. I'm saying he should be given an opportunity to get the job.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Let me make it clear, I'm not saying Weist should be given a job. I'm saying he should be given an opportunity to get the job.
He was. It may not have been under ideal circumstances but it was far more of an opportunity than most in his profession ever receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom