Give Weist the Kevin Ollie Deal | The Boneyard

Give Weist the Kevin Ollie Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kids have obviously responded. They played today like they have the mentality that no one can beat them. When RU went up 17-14, it still felt like UCONN would take it. The 4th quarter huddle, the emotion from the sidelines and most importantly, back to back wins. I like the mentality of the team, the team is absolutely behind him. There isn't the must have coach, that I have seen, available. What's another year? It keeps kids in house with no transfers. He can recruit (i.e. Boyle). Let him have a run for a season. I like him and I think the kids do as well.

Reaction Score
UConn07 said:
Kids have obviously responded. They played today like they have the mentality that no one can beat them. When RU went up 17-14, it still felt like UCONN would take it. The 4th quarter huddle, the emotion from the sidelines and most importantly, back to back wins. I like the mentality of the team, the team is absolutely behind him. There isn't the must have coach, that I have seen, available. What's another year? It keeps kids in house with no transfers. He can recruit (i.e. Boyle). Let him have a run for a season. I like him and I think the kids do as well.

I agree.

Reaction Score
If he ends the season with three straight wins he deserves a shot. , FHCPP was given three years and couldn't string together consecutive wins.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I'm all for being positive after a win but people need to calm down a bit.

Reaction Score
The team is starting to rally around the coach. If you insert someone else you may lose that.

Not if we pick the right guy. Good coaches rally players to play for them no matter what and hopefully we hire the best person who can lead the UConn program to success. I hope we don't make a knee jerk reaction. I am happy we didn't quit and am happy we can head to the off season with some momentum for next year, but let's not go crazy over close wins vs Temple and Rutgers. UConn can not afford to get this wrong.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Look at what RU did with Flood. They basically hired him to keep a recruiting class.

Reaction Score
At the very least, he deserves serious consideration. He inherited a real cluster# and has brought the team back from the 'Walking Dead'. There are not many coaches who could have accomplished that. The question is can he build up UCONN recruiting, especially since every other major team in our geographical region is in a P5 conference except our beloved Huskies.

Reaction Score
wethyhusky said:
That is ridiculous. We need a new coach. Way too excited after 2 wins to think Weist is the answer.

I'm not certain that anyone is screaming that Wiest is the savior. But the guy had the kids playing decently. If there isn't overwhelming interest in the job he might not be a bad option. I dint want to see a retread come here. It needs to be someone young and motivational. Ollieesque.

Reaction Score
Not if we pick the right guy. Good coaches rally players to play for them no matter what and hopefully we hire the best person who can lead the UConn program to success. I hope we don't make a knee jerk reaction.

Listen, all of you prior to this season heard Weist speak and thought, head coach in waiting. I remember reading it on this board. I thought it was asinine. Most of you want a coordinator from a decent school or MAC coach to take over. Well, Weist has experience and should be considered one of those coordinators. He's got some ties to great football programs and coached with the Harbaugh family. He started his head coaching career 0-5 and was on his way to 0-6. Yet something happened in Philly at halftime and the kids responded. Then, his team went out and said farewell to our rival. We can afford a one year trial run after what has transpired the last two weeks.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
Just ignore the 5 non competitive losses and go with beating putrid Temple and Rutgers teams... Sounds like a winner.

You honestly think it was going to turn around on the first game the guy coached?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
minidarren said:
You honestly think it was going to turn around on the first game the guy coached?

Of course not but they got drubbed week in and week out - Temple and Rutgers are horrible teams - they are wins and I'll take them but if they hire Weist as the permanent coach the program is all but finished.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
Of course not but they got drubbed week in and week out - Temple and Rutgers are horrible teams - they are wins and I'll take them but if they hire Weist as the permanent coach the program is all but finished.

That's an absurd assumption. A one year contract with Weist would not be a death sentence to the program.

Reaction Score

And you honestly think playing 3 of the worst teams in the league to end the season might have something to do with finally getting in the W column?

3 good halves against 2 of the worst teams in the league and your ready to turn the keys over to Weist in the most important hire this program might ever make. I'm not offered rendered speechless on this board but this is one of those times.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Time to make a statement. Love TJ but not sure what he can do.

Reaction Score
That's an absurd assumption. A one year contract with Weist would not be a death sentence to the program.

It's just another possible year wasted when we don't have time to waste.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

A one year contract? Yeah they can bring in the worst recruting class in the country.

Weist as head coach is as bad an idea as the Boneyard can propose. It's as bad as Waylon's indepenence nonsense.

They need to go hire someone capable of rebuilding this mess. Beating a couole of horrible teams doesn't change how far away they are from real success.

Reaction Score
I do think Weist's success strengthens the case to hire a defensive coordinator as head coach who keeps the entire offensive staff.

Bring back Don Brown as head coach if he agrees to keep Weist in charge of the offensive. Don Brown's defense plus the offense we potentially have with Casey could bring us to the top of the AAC quickly. Our team loved Brown, I think they love Weist, I think it would work, Don Brown is a proven winner; 95-45 career record as head coach.

A similar case could be made for Narduzzi.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's just another possible year wasted when we don't have time to waste.

Never know what you have here. IF what is going on in Storrs behind the scenes is everything I'm hearing, Weist should be considered. Different mentality under the program. Remember, Louisville is a different game should Hyp not fumble and Cole not drop the punt. Cochran is the real deal and our entire offense is slated to come back. I'd like to see what these guys can do.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I forgot: There are worse ideas than Weist and independence. Don Brown.

It's amazing the craziness you read here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom