Give Weist the Kevin Ollie Deal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Give Weist the Kevin Ollie Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There is no way that TJ returns as an OC. The new head coach won't want his predecessor around and the current interim won't want a demotion like that.

I personally believe that WM is hunting much bigger game than Brown, Ambrose or TJ. Among the things needed here is the new hire making a splash on the national scene. It may not be a name that one of us recognize without using google but it will be a name that those who know college football will say "They got themselves on hell of a football coach! If they can keep him he'll do some great things at UConn.".

As far as the guy who left for his dream job. He supposedly had one hell of a lot of rope to play with this year but has steadily been using it all up. I work with someone who played football for the Terps in the mid 1980's and supposedly, shy of pulling a Sandusky there was little RE could have done to not finish years four and five at Md. At the moment the possibility does exist that he won't last the winter and if he does, next year is make or break for him. He supposedly has pissed off quite a few people who have some clout at that school and it will end up costing him.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I completely appreciate what TJ Weist is doing here and I LOVE his enthusiasm and energy that he is bringing to the team, but the only chance he is UCONN's head coach in 2014 is if Warde's choices are between Weist and someone like Ambrose or Moorhead. I don't think that will be his choice.

Reaction Score
Im happy for tj. Best case he sbould parlay this into a p5, oc job. He shouldnt be in serious running for this job. Hes gotten more from this team than i tought possible last week at half time.

Reaction Score
First of all, he'll no to the OPs idea.

Second of all. Edsall, bla, bla, bla,

Three blocked punts at UNC....

I'm going to let you guys in on a little secret:

UConn is a good job. UConn can spend millions of dollars on a head football coach.

It's a program that Randy Edsall was able to take to a BCS bowl and two conference championships.

Edsall can coach circles around guys like Weist and Don Brown. This program can do a lot better than Edsall.

Will you please open your minds past proven mediocrities just because you know their names?

Seriously, Weist and Brown are the epitome of small minded dead end hires.

Reaction Score
Yeah that's my concern. About 5 posts ago I said they can do better. It's my deep seeded fear that Don Brown will outperform Edsall that's why I think he's not the person for the job.

How is your Pasqualoni fan club doing these days? Still a lot of people on board that freight train of spectacular failure?
Who would you like as the next coach ? I do not know anything about the guys that have been talked about or most any other assistant coaches.

Reaction Score
New Coach, New staff, new blood, new identity. Let the new coach decide if he wants to keep Weist on as coordinator/position coach/assistant coach etc...

C

Chief00

The Coach P hire was a faulty statement. Coach TJ is starting to show results. That's the statement we need. I really see a total change in body language on the sideline and enthusiasm and passion. I am sold of this guy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well he went from 2-10 to 4-8 to 7-5... with the best weapons he had injured again.

Are you going to argue Brown or Weist is a better coach than Edsall?

Are you going to argue UConn can't do better than Edsall?

I can't wait for these gems.

Edsall inherited a stacked Maryland team that had just canned the ACC COY, and promptly went 2-10. He lost to Paul Pasqualoni in his second season. He has hardly been a success at Maryland.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Whaler is doing his normal "crap on everyone else's idea, but not give his own" thing.

Why doesn't he enlighten us with who we should get for a Head Coach.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
Whaler is doing his normal "crap on everyone else's idea, but not give his own" thing.

Why doesn't he enlighten us with who we should get for a Head Coach.

Let me know if you are in the Weist or Brown camp thanks. I don't have the energy to put my list in order right now but I'll get you one soon.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Let me know if you are in the Weist or Brown camp thanks. I don't have the energy to put my list in order right now but I'll get you one soon.

Whaler shows that he does not have a strong sense of irony when he makes a post like this.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
Whaler shows that he does not have a strong sense of irony when he makes a post like this.

Ive posted in plenty of other threads guys I'm interested in. I don't need to know my exact top 5 to know that Weist and Brown don't belong on the interview list.

But again - which of the two are you supporting?

Reaction Score
If he ends the season with three straight wins he deserves a shot. , FHCPP was given three years and couldn't string together consecutive wins.

Give him a chance because he compares favorably to the worst coach in the history of history? You need a stronger argument.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Possible merits of a Weist candidacy notwithstanding, no AD is going to make a one-year hire for head football coach. Shows nothing but indecision and lack of institutional backing, handicapping the guy to the point of ensuring failure. WM would not have done it with Ollie if JC hadn't forced his hand (and good on'ya JC for looking out for 'YOUR' program). WRT Weist, while I admire the attitude adjustment, I don't think 3 and 5 against the AAC is enough. As mitigation, he started in a deep hole and there has been an apparent linear progression in the quality of play. That 'progress' could be a schedule induced mirage though. Bottom line, I hope this experience ends up as career enhancing for Weist but not to the point of getting the UConn job.

Reaction Score
I completely appreciate what TJ Weist is doing here and I LOVE his enthusiasm and energy that he is bringing to the team, but the only chance he is UCONN's head coach in 2014 is if Warde's choices are between Weist and someone like Ambrose or Moorhead. I don't think that will be his choice.

BTW, Ambrose and Morehead play each other next week. I don't think Fordham has a chance, however.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Give him a chance because he compares favorably to the worst coach in the history of history? You need a stronger argument.

Before TJW, PP was the second best HC in UConn's FBS history.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Kids have obviously responded. They played today like they have the mentality that no one can beat them. When RU went up 17-14, it still felt like UCONN would take it. The 4th quarter huddle, the emotion from the sidelines and most importantly, back to back wins. I like the mentality of the team, the team is absolutely behind him. There isn't the must have coach, that I have seen, available. What's another year? It keeps kids in house with no transfers. He can recruit (i.e. Boyle). Let him have a run for a season. I like him and I think the kids do as well.

More not sure if serious here

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think a 1 year contract is a terrible idea. I hated it with Ollie, and it would be an even worse idea for football.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Towson and Buffalo. That was the weakness in this schedule.

This years schedule was almost all weakness with a light sprinkling of mediocrity - UCF, Cincy, Ville were decent, everyone else not so much...

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Yeah because PP=JC and KO=TJW

What an IDIOT. Please don't breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics