Give Weist the Kevin Ollie Deal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Give Weist the Kevin Ollie Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The USF, Temple, Rutgers and (possibly) Memphis games are exactly why I thought Pasqualoni needed to be fired after Towson. If Pasqualoni was still the coach, UConn would have lost USF, Temple and Rutgers by 3+ TD's each. With the change, the program gets to go out on a high note this season. A useful byproduct is that the entire coaching staff has likely salvaged their college coaching careers, because being part of a staff that went 0-12 with increasingly large blowouts would have been the end of most of them.

I wouldn't rule Weist out completely, but I would say it should be extremely, extremely unlikely that he gets the job. I would like to see what else is out there. If my choice is Bud Foster or UCLA's Mazzone, or Weist, I would prefer UConn goes with Weist. If Pat Narduzzi will take the job, then I would like to go with him. I do think it is kind of silly to rule someone in or out in a vacuum without knowing who the other choices are.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I forgot: There are worse ideas than Weist and independence. Don Brown.

It's amazing the craziness you read here.

No one has a stronger monopoly on conventional wisdom than Whaler.

Reaction Score

LOL - you won't be surprised to hear I am on the independence train...

I think we differ on almost everything, minus wanting a UCONN win every game.

Reaction Score

Or the revisionist history. The players did in fact like the guy. The defensive players would be thrilled to have him back.

We had the 9th ranked defense last year. Both years Don Brown was here we were ranked ahead of Bud Foster's VT defense.

Reaction Score
IF what is going on in Storrs behind the scenes is everything I'm hearing, Weist should be considered. Different mentality under the program.

Oh please, enlighten the masses.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm going to let you guys in on a little secret:

UConn is a good job. UConn can spend millions of dollars on a head football coach.

It's a program that Randy Edsall was able to take to a BCS bowl and two conference championships.

Edsall can coach circles around guys like Weist and Don Brown. This program can do a lot better than Edsall.

Will you please open your minds past proven mediocrities just because you know their names?

Seriously, Weist and Brown are the epitome of small minded dead end hires.

Reaction Score
Aside from running McCombs twice in a row at the 5 yard line, I could see him as an OC or position coach. Even if he's not here, another win really helps him and he deserves it after inheriting a trainwreck.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
minidarren said:
Everyone should stop posting and let whaler do all the thinking for us.

I'd try and argue against this post but it's difficult because it's hard to claim anyone pushing for Weist or Brown is actually thinking.

Reaction Score

UConn is a good job. UConn can spend millions of dollars on a head football coach.

It's a program that Randy Edsall was able to take to a BCS bowl and two conference championships.

Edsall can coach circles around guys like Weist and Don Brown. This program can do a lot better than Edsall.

Will you please open your minds past proven mediocrities just because you know their names?

and yet we hear Bud Foster is a candidate (puke)

Reaction Score

Yes, UCONN is a very good job. Giving Weist a one year trial and not working out would be much better than making a hire this year that wouldn't fit. If Warde can't find 'his guy,' Weist as a year trial would be just like handing the reigns over to Kevin Ollie. Ollie spent 2 years as an assistant under Calhoun. No one was saying he wasn't qualified. Maybe our best option is the one we have. I'm not blown away by Narduzzi or anyone else available. I would like to take our chances with what we have and this is coming from someone who said clean house immediately after P and GDL were canned.

Reaction Score

Ya, things have worked well for our friend Randal. Hes really coaching the out of things down there at his dream job.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
metsfan2323 said:
and yet we hear Bud Foster is a candidate (puke)

Guy 90% of what you hear is nonsense. We just did this 3 years ago and the guy they hired you never heard until it was over.

There are dozens of people who are going to plant all sorts of crap with media types. The guy who had the last big story right is a moron who happened to get the info from a basketball referee (Tony Terzi).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
metsfan2323 said:
Brown beat him two years in a row. You appear to only remember what you want to remember.

Yeah and Pasqualoni did too. One of them won the Big East twice and makes millions at Maryland. One is running a mediocre defense at Boston College.

Seriously you have to be related to him to be this dense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
minidarren said:
Ya, things have worked well for our friend Randal. Hes really coaching the out of things down there at his dream job.

Well he went from 2-10 to 4-8 to 7-5... with the best weapons he had injured again.

Are you going to argue Brown or Weist is a better coach than Edsall?

Are you going to argue UConn can't do better than Edsall?

I can't wait for these gems.

Reaction Score
I, like you, have no idea what uconn can do. But we will both find out soon enough.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Too many ignorant people with keyboards today.

I fully expect TJ to put his name in for head coach. If Warde chooses to hire TJ then TJ has full authority to build his staff.

If Wards hires anyone else all current coches are gone. That's the way football works.

Any potential candidate who keeps the existing interim HC/OC/WR coach is imediately out of thd picture.

Can't risk split loyalty or inconsistent messages from the staff. Everyone neds to clearly know all ccoaches came from the HC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Srqhusky said:
Whaler sounds afraid someone might exceed edsalls lofty accomplishments

Yeah that's my concern. About 5 posts ago I said they can do better. It's my deep seeded fear that Don Brown will outperform Edsall that's why I think he's not the person for the job.

How is your Pasqualoni fan club doing these days? Still a lot of people on board that freight train of spectacular failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom