Gibbs To UConn (not true yet; why don't y'all just give it 20 minutes) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Gibbs To UConn (not true yet; why don't y'all just give it 20 minutes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow.

Given their inability to score, their lack of success in the postseason and a coach who doesn't really do x's and o's well, I'd say that's a world-class stretch.

Cincy doesn't even have a coach that can stay on the floor...

Too soon?

Reaction Score
wish teams would take less pride in their junk defense. cincy is fine with mucking things up, i hope the 30 second clock ( is this official) has an effect on this, maybe with less time to set up their defenses these sort of teams will turn into man2man teams. these junk defense highlight whats wrong with pace in ncaab, the lack of the three in the key call.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati doesn't have a single player on their roster who averaged double figures last season. It's tough to win that way.

But, Troy Caupain should be one of the best guards in the AAC next season, they'll probably protect the rim as well as anybody in the country, and they have good depth. I also think Cronin can coach.

On the other hand, UConn beat them two out of three last season, and Ollie is 5-2 (granted, four of these games have been UConn home games, and one other was a neutral floor game) against them since inheriting the keys from Calhoun. KO has proven he has no problem beating Cincinnati at their own game when they have to, and most of our match-ups tend to resemble rock fights where one team just has a little more talent than the other.

Ollie is a good enough defensive coach where his defenses tend to devour teams like Cincinnati.

Also, Napier was out for the game against them in 2013 and Daniels was out in the game against them in 2014. Maybe Cincy still would've won, but who knows.

That said, I don't agree with Fishy about Cronin's X's and O's. You don't have 5 straight top 15 defenses if you aren't good in that area.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Cincy is in no way shape or form a top 5 team. You're telling me they will be better than Duke Kentucky MSU UNC and Maryland?
I think they'll be better than the first two for sure, and on par with UNC and Maryland. UNC will be a top 2 team, though I'd have more confidence in that if Tokoto hadn't declared, and if they didn't have the ban hanging over their heads.

Duke lost their 4 most important players, and while the guys they have coming in are good, they're not top 5 material right off the bat - especially because they have only one real ball handler (Thornton) who's not close to being the kind of floor general Jones was, and lacks consistent range beyond the arc. They do have some shooters and scorers on the wing, but their lack of rim protection is going to be killer - just like it was in 2013/14. I think they're a top 20ish team.

Kentucky, despite their recent recruiting misses, has a good, balanced team and a very good point guard in Ulis. But Lee and Willis haven't developed, Poythress is all athleticism and is coming off an ACL tear, and nobody can shoot. I also don't think Ulis and Briscoe will co-exist comfortably. They'll beat cupcakes, but struggle against good teams.

Reaction Score
I think its 3 losses, but one was without Bazz, and the other with Daniels, and both came down to the final minute on Cincy's home floor.

You're right, I had forgotten about the return game in 2013. We were real thin in that game, IIRC.

Reaction Score
Also, Napier was out for the game against them in 2013 and Daniels was out in the game against them in 2014. Maybe Cincy still would've won, but who knows.

That said, I don't agree with Fishy about Cronin's X's and O's. You don't have 5 straight top 15 defenses if you aren't good in that area.

Definitely agree with you in regards to Cronin. He's one of the best in the business at recruiting raw athletes and converting them into great defensive players - very similar to Pitino in that regard.

Reaction Score
You're right, I had forgotten about the return game in 2013. We were real thin in that game, IIRC.
Correct, Niels also broke his finger in that game, missed all of the 2nd half.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Can you make a thread where you list all the things you don't like and why? You're a very positive person... Which is a good thing here.
It would have one and only one thing in the list and that is he doesn't like negativity!

Last edited:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It's premature because Gibbs to UConn isn't official. But I strongly believe that UConn will have a heck of a team next season if he indeed does arrive. It will be the 2014 team all over again for KO with multiple good line up options. Last season there were no options available for even one good line up. And even with that UConn was four or five winnable games away from having a successful albeit unpleasant season.

The Cinci vs. UConn debate ignored something that I feel is important. The "dreaded" AAC should be a lot stronger next season. I believe SMU and maybe Temple take a step back. But Cinci, Tulsa, UConn and Memphis and the dregs other than USF should be significantly improved over this season. I'm still ten toes in for the B!G. I have been from the get go. But before I get my mansion on the ocean I'm going to see the beauty of my current neighborhood.

Reaction Score
I think they'll be better than the first two for sure, and on par with UNC and Maryland. UNC will be a top 2 team, though I'd have more confidence in that if Tokoto hadn't declared, and if they didn't have the ban hanging over their heads.

Duke lost their 4 most important players, and while the guys they have coming in are good, they're not top 5 material right off the bat - especially because they have only one real ball handler (Thornton) who's not close to being the kind of floor general Jones was, and lacks consistent range beyond the arc. They do have some shooters and scorers on the wing, but their lack of rim protection is going to be killer - just like it was in 2013/14. I think they're a top 20ish team.

Kentucky, despite their recent recruiting misses, has a good, balanced team and a very good point guard in Ulis. But Lee and Willis haven't developed, Poythress is all athleticism and is coming off an ACL tear, and nobody can shoot. I also don't think Ulis and Briscoe will co-exist comfortably. They'll beat cupcakes, but struggle against good teams.
Agree to disagree, but if you think they will be so good Cincy 100/1 is available and that is incredible value. IMO they lack that very top level talent.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
We will be dancing in March with Gibbs. How far is the only question. Elite eight or final four is my opinion. Curious on predictions from the rest of the yard. A year too ealr for the final four based on contribution from our guards (damn you tsam!!!!) based on looking at our final four teams from the last 15 years (sadly we won't get that extra year from Gibbs)

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I had checked them out yesterday and was impressed with how similar the two players stats appeared. Of course the composition of the two teams was different as well as the conferences so not apples to apples. For instance Sterling did not have as many rebounds per games as Ryan. Is this an indicator that Ryan is a better rebounder? Hard to know. Seton Hall was 76th in the nation in rebounds per vs. UConn at 192. So it is possible Sterling isn't as good or he wasn't needed for rebounding because his team was composed of better rebounders than UConn.

FT percentage is the one thing that is different. Sterling is good at 71% and Ryan was outstanding at 85%.

Reaction Score
We've hit a few bumps on the road recently so getting Gibbs would make up for all that.

Reaction Score
Nigel Williams Goss just committed to Gonzaga which I think helps us. Heard rumors that they couldve been interested in Gibbs, but getting another star PG eliminates that possibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom