Gibbs To UConn (not true yet; why don't y'all just give it 20 minutes) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Gibbs To UConn (not true yet; why don't y'all just give it 20 minutes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I wouldn't count on 4 auto bids unless the AAC kicks major butt in OOC. They don't respect us much.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
A buddy of mine at Pitt tells me Sterling Gibbs is visiting them at some point this week.

Reaction Score
greatly increasing the ability of our first guard off the bench.

Good call. What David 76 said above is the most important upside of getting Gibbs.

If Gibbs doesn't sign, then a starting backcourt of Adams and Purvis would still be really, really good. But, when either of them comes out of the game, there'll be a significant drop-off in talent at one of the guard spots on the floor

The great thing about getting Gibbs is there'll be a rotation of three equally talented guards, with no drop-off when one comes out of the game.

Reaction Score
I was at the "Born to Lead" documentary presentation in Ridgefield tonight. Someone asked Calhoun about today's college game, and he mentioned that he doesn't like grad transfers, but said Ollie is doing the right thing by bringing them in because of all the one and dones. He said a few times that UConn is bringing in two grad transfers for next year. He said they have a kid coming in from Cornell, and then stopped himself when he was about to mention the other player. Thought that was interesting...

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I was at the "Born to Lead" documentary presentation in Ridgefield tonight. Someone asked Calhoun about today's college game, and he mentioned that he doesn't like grad transfers, but said Ollie is doing the right thing by bringing them in because of all the one and dones. He said a few times that UConn is bringing in two grad transfers for next year. He said they have a kid coming in from Cornell, and then stopped himself when he was about to mention the other player. Thought that was interesting...
Pshhh.... Tyler Harris obviously.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I was about to post the same thing. JC said it twice and corrected himself mid-sentence both times. My guess is that everyone needs to lay low until Seton Hall grants the kid his release.

Reaction Score
Pitt's rivals guy just tweeted that. He also said that he doesn't think Pitt has a great shot.

Even if it's true that Pitt doesn't have much of a shot, the mere fact that he is visiting other schools makes me a little nervous, if for no other reason than that many on this board seem to believe it's a done deal.

Reaction Score
The fact alone that he is visiting other schools scares me. I honestly thought we had him. But now, I'm not so sure. Just have to remain hopeful.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
No disrespect to our "insiders" - I enjoy the info that you guys bring to the board - but I think we all need to take this stuff with a grain of salt. As you guys have admitted, sometimes you're 100% spot on, and sometimes not. I don't think what's posted here should be taken as the law, even if it comes from people who have certain connections with the program. Believe nothing until the kid signs on the dotted line.

Again, Zionn, 99 and others: keep doing what you do, I enjoy your insight very much. But the whole "so and so posted something, obviously it's 100% a done deal and set in stone" motif isn't good for the psyche.

Reaction Score
Stairmaster said:
No disrespect to our "insiders" - I enjoy the info that you guys bring to the board - but I think we all need to take this stuff with a grain of salt. As you guys have admitted, sometimes you're 100% spot on, and sometimes not. I don't think what's posted here should be taken as the law, even if it comes from people who have certain connections with the program. Believe nothing until the kid signs on the dotted line. Again, Zionn, 99 and others: keep doing what you do, I enjoy your insight very much. But the whole "so and so posted something, obviously it's 100% a done deal and set in stone" motif isn't good for the psyche.

Jim Calhoun and staff once popped the cork on champagne bottles when they found out Bill Curley was coming.

Even the most inside of insiders are wrong sometimes.

Reaction Score
No disrespect to our "insiders" - I enjoy the info that you guys bring to the board - but I think we all need to take this stuff with a grain of salt. As you guys have admitted, sometimes you're 100% spot on, and sometimes not. I don't think what's posted here should be taken as the law, even if it comes from people who have certain connections with the program. Believe nothing until the kid signs on the dotted line.

Again, Zionn, 99 and others: keep doing what you do, I enjoy your insight very much. But the whole "so and so posted something, obviously it's 100% a done deal and set in stone" motif isn't good for the psyche.

Well, this was posted on NBC, so it isn't as if this is exclusively message board gossip. I can't imagine that the reports of Slater, Meyer, etc. are correct if he is visiting other schools.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna assume he has to graduate from Seton Hall before moving on. He needs to pass his finals and get his diploma before he can enroll in a graduate school. Given that his finals are from May 6-12, and his commencement is May 16 (SHU academic calendar), we should have an official word after the weekend of Friday the 15. Until then, I don't think there's a point to getting worked up.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
I'm gonna assume he has to graduate from Seton Hall before moving on. He needs to pass his finals and get his diploma before he can enroll in a graduate school. Given that his finals are from May 6-12, and his commencement is May 16 (SHU academic calendar), we should have an official word after the weekend of Friday the 15. Until then, I don't think there's a point to getting worked up.
Yet worked up the will remain

Reaction Score
The fact alone that he is visiting other schools scares me. I honestly thought we had him. But now, I'm not so sure. Just have to remain hopeful.
Yeah I'm thinking the same. Yet at the same time Meyers (who broke the story) and NBC keeping the story up gives me lots of hope. This began like a dream and and now feels like its turning into a nightmare with these new reports. Unlike some others, I believe we need this guy to have a good chance of making a run next year (sure Hamilton will be on fire next year, and maybe Purvis too, and Adams may have a break out year as freshman) but too many "maybes" there. You need that 4th guard whether it's to mitigate on down days by your other guards, or provide that reliable scoring option off bench. Please let this kid come. He's got to realize coming here not only is great for us, it takes us to a Top 15-20 team immediately and gives him what he wants most (e.g. legit shot for a championship).

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
That article is 3.5 years old. Not sure if the rule is still the same but it wasn't from last year.
Did not realize that it was that long ago (and I should have looked at the date on the article) but I could have sworn that is was late last spring when I read a number of articles by pundits blasting Martelli for preventing a transfer for a graduating student athlete.

Regardless, a waiver is required for the kid to become eligible (see link, which I also posted in another thread)

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not disagreeing, but why didn't we run into this with Miller? Doesn't he still have to finish classes & graduate? Are the rules different for the Ivy? Did he get waivers before he announced?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Not disagreeing, but why didn't we run into this with Miller? Doesn't he still have to finish classes & graduate? Are the rules different for the Ivy? Did he get waivers before he announced?
I believe the Ivy schools don't allow grad students to play sports so I would imagine it's standard for them to allow their athletes to transfer to any school they want.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I meant to post release, not waiver when I posted.

The Ivy League doesn't allow post graduate athletes to participate on scholarship (possibly not at all). There never was an issue on Miller having a scholarship held by Cornell for next season (and Cornell may have begun the paperwork to free him very early in the process as they had no intention on playing him next year).

Considering how late Gibbs announced that he was transferring (and that during the season he stated that he would return to Seton Hall) it is possible that they want an opportunity to talk him into staying before they release him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom