Gibbs To UConn (not true yet; why don't y'all just give it 20 minutes) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Gibbs To UConn (not true yet; why don't y'all just give it 20 minutes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i wonder if there is an issue getting into a grad program, which is holding up the official announcement?

Reaction Score
It's premature because Gibbs to UConn isn't official. But I strongly believe that UConn will have a heck of a team next season if he indeed does arrive. It will be the 2014 team all over again for KO with multiple good line up options. Last season there were no options available for even one good line up. And even with that UConn was four or five winnable games away from having a successful albeit unpleasant season.

The Cinci vs. UConn debate ignored something that I feel is important. The "dreaded" AAC should be a lot stronger next season. I believe SMU and maybe Temple take a step back. But Cinci, Tulsa, UConn and Memphis and the dregs other than USF should be significantly improved over this season. I'm still ten toes in for the B!G. I have been from the get go. But before I get my mansion on the ocean I'm going to see the beauty of my current neighborhood.

Agree with your post but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for SMU to take a step back. They'll return their two best players and the AAC POY.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
i wonder if there is an issue getting into a grad program, which is holding up the official announcement?

I don't think he's a grad student. Just a senior.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
No, we are not replacing Boat, but we are lowering the drop-off at pg and greatly increasing the ability of our first guard off the bench. I feel confident Purvis & DHam will improve (Purvis just needs to play like he did at the end of the year). Our power forward position will see a big improvement as will our first big(s) off the bench. Amida will continue to learn basics and be a freak as a rim protector.

Looks good! Our 2016 graduating seniors won't be a big problem to replace, but we will need to replace our grad student(s) plus whoever jumps. We will leave strong replacements for each grad student (Adams, Enoch, Facey) SF and , I believe center, may need replacements after next year. Leave or stay, SF & C seem our next recruiting needs.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I had checked them out yesterday and was impressed with how similar the two players stats appeared. Of course the composition of the two teams was different as well as the conferences so not apples to apples. For instance Sterling did not have as many rebounds per games as Ryan. Is this an indicator that Ryan is a better rebounder? Hard to know. Seton Hall was 76th in the nation in rebounds per vs. UConn at 192. So it is possible Sterling isn't as good or he wasn't needed for rebounding because his team was composed of better rebounders than UConn.
Rebounds per is so dependent upon pace. It's often a misleading stat.

There are two other mitigating factors. First is that our main center (Brimah) sells out to block almost everything, and that's shown in our block % (which was once again among the country's best). Teams that play like - that put a premium on rim protection - need their guards to rebound.

The other is that Seton Hall's starting center (Delgado) was a rebounding machine, like a bigger version of Adrien.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Agree with your post but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for SMU to take a step back. They'll return their two best players and the AAC POY.
Yeah, but they lost ALL of their interior defense. Teams are going to feast on them in the paint.

1) Cincinnati
2) UConn
3) Memphis
4) Tulsa
5) SMU

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Rebounds per is so dependent upon pace. It's often a misleading stat.

There are two other mitigating factors. First is that our main center (Brimah) sells out to block almost everything, and that's shown in our block % (which was once again among the country's best). Teams that play like - that put a premium on rim protection - need their guards to rebound.

The other is that Seton Hall's starting center (Delgado) was a rebounding machine, like a bigger version of Adrien.
Your post fleshes out my suspicion.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Yeah, but they lost ALL of their interior defense. Teams are going to feast on them in the paint.

1) Cincinnati
2) UConn
3) Memphis
4) Tulsa
5) SMU
That was my opinion for the slight step back. They get Shake Milton and can make our opinions less of an issue if they get Thon Maker. Of course they have some NCAA investigation problems so who know how this impacts them.

My list would put Cinci at 3 with UConn and Memphis jumping ahead. But it should be close among the first four.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
That was my opinion for the slight step back. They get Shake Milton and can make our opinions less of an issue if they get Thon Maker. Of course they have some NCAA investigation problems so who know how this impacts them.

My list would put Cinci at 3 with UConn and Memphis jumping ahead. But it should be close among the first four.
Yup - all of that is fair. I do like the fact that the AAC will be a bloodbath next year - hopefully everybody can do work in the OOC schedule.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Yup - all of that is fair. I do like the fact that the AAC will be a bloodbath next year - hopefully everybody can do work in the OOC schedule.
I'm hoping SMU, Temple and two of this years dregs make a great middle. That's as important as the top being good. I actually liked ECU at the end of last season. I feel Houston is another year away. So hopefully one of Tulane and Central Florida can gain traction over last season.

Tough to write this as opposed to we need Georgetown, Nova, Cuse, Ville, WV, ND, Pitt............

Reaction Score

1) Cincinnati
2) UConn
3) Memphis
4) Tulsa
5) SMU

If you gave Larry Brown the Memphis roster and Pastner the SMU roster, I would agree with you. But although Morreira and Cunningham are big losses that could bite them against teams like, say, UNC or Gonzaga, I have enough faith in Larry Brown as a coach to navigate an AAC schedule with smart positioning defense, and even if they go small up front with Kennedy and Moore, there is still a decent amount of rim protection there.

On the other end, they should be a title wave - that offense that they run is so much more motion-based than 99% of the college offenses out there that another year of reps with the same core should vault them into the top 20 in offensive efficiency, IMO.

I would go:

1) UConn (this assuming Gibbs commits)
2) Cincinnati
3) SMU
4) Memphis
5) Tulsa

Matrim55

Reaction Score
If you gave Larry Brown the Memphis roster and Pastner the SMU roster, I would agree with you. But although Morreira and Cunningham are big losses that could bite them against teams like, say, UNC or Gonzaga, I have enough faith in Larry Brown as a coach to navigate an AAC schedule with smart positioning defense, and even if they go small up front with Kennedy and Moore, there is still a decent amount of rim protection there.

On the other end, they should be a title wave - that offense that they run is so much more motion-based than 99% of the college offenses out there that another year of reps with the same core should vault them into the top 20 in offensive efficiency, IMO.

I would go:

2) Cincinnati
3) SMU
4) Memphis
5) Tulsa
If you gave Brown the Memphis roster they'd be preseason No. 1.

But yeah, you make a good point about SMU winning games with offense. Frazier is supposed to be back next year, right? Him, Moore & Kennedy on the floor together could/should be terrifying.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

I would go:

2) Cincinnati
3) SMU
4) Memphis
5) Tulsa
I think you meant "tidal wave" here.

The "title wave" is the phrase used to describe the last 20 years of UConn basketball.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm hoping SMU, Temple and two of this years dregs make a great middle. That's as important as the top being good. I actually liked ECU at the end of last season. I feel Houston is another year away. So hopefully one of Tulane and Central Florida can gain traction over last season.

Tough to write this as opposed to we need Georgetown, Nova, Cuse, Ville, WV, ND, Pitt..

SMU brings a lot of players back. Middle?

Matrim55

Reaction Score
SMU lost their two rim protectors and best perimeter defender. Kennedy's the biggest guy on their team and he scares no one in the lane.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Kennedy vs UConn last season: 24 MPG, 15.3 PPG 7.6 RPG 1 BPG. Scares me.
Offensively. Defensively he's a sieve - there's a reason Brown didn't start him and was hesitant to play him in crunch time.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Nichols along with the two highly touted Lawson brothers will be quite the stacked frontcourt.. will Goodwin be back as well? and memphis always has serviceable guard play. The top four of the AAC; UConn, Memphis, Cinci, SMU should all be very good. Hopefully Tusla can do what they did in conference play during their OOC schedule. If everyone takes care of their OOC schedules I could easily see the AAC getting 4 automatic bids. Will be great to see

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'm picking them fifth this season. That puts them in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom