Gibbs Announcing He Will Transfer | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Gibbs Announcing He Will Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think Jalen's got his head on straight. From what I understand the most important decision driver for him was proximity to home, so I don't think he would reopen his recruitment and head off to UCLA overnight. And its not like he wouldn't see around 20 mpg even with Gibbs in pocket.

Would be easy to point out to Adams that Kemba learned under AJ, Bazz learned under Kemba and to a lesser extent Boat learned under Bazz.

I love the idea of when possible, a freshman PG being an understudy but still playing a big role.

Reaction Score
I was just thinking about the potential affects on Jalen Adams if we get Gibbs. I'm not saying a freshman is entitled to starting but he is a top 30 recruit. I'd just be worried if Jalen doesn't get the minutes he needs to develop. That being said, I'd love to see a Gibbs/Adams backcourt with Purv/DHam in there when we want to play small ball. Best case scenario with Gibba (other than winning) is that Adams develops under him like Shabazz did with Kemba in 2011.

Won't have any effect. Kemba was a higher ranked recruit then Adams and played behind Price his FR year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If his father is at all linked in with KO, even if it's initially due to the brother's visit, has to bode well for UConn. It's a one year deal with Sterling so he has to look at where he can instantly contribute, where he can get exposure and where he can win.
To me, eventhough Adams is coming in and Purvis was showing his stuff the last few games, there will be meaningful minutes at both the 1 and 2 positions. The addition of Adams and Miller and if Gibbs joins - UConn not only becomes the favorite in the AAC but is thrust into the top 20 talk - easily.
Sure he can win at ND, Puke, Kensucky and KU BUT will he get the minutes that UConn can afford?
Plus he get's KO - I think in the long run KO makes a difference.
One year - One shot
We already have Miller Time ...............

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
If anyone remembers, before Briscoe committed, Jalen Adams said that he'd welcome any stud PG. He was asked about sharing time because at that point we were still pursuing Briscoe. Adams said he knows his minutes depend on how he plays, and that he's confident in himself.

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...bbs-uconn-basketball-0430-20150429-story.html

The program has two scholarships available for next season, and aims to use both and has been looking hard at transfers, perhaps waiting for Gibbs to make his move. If Gibbs joins Miller, along with incoming freshman Jalen Adams and Steven Enoch, the Huskies would have a strong influx of talent for next year, with two scholarships opening up again for Class of 2016 recruits.

Reaction Score
would freshman kemba sit behind gibbs though?

Gibbs is very good, and he's a senior. So it's possible that he would have.

Either way, there are going to be plenty of minutes available for Jalen Adams.

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...bbs-uconn-basketball-0430-20150429-story.html

The program has two scholarships available for next season, and aims to use both and has been looking hard at transfers, perhaps waiting for Gibbs to make his move. If Gibbs joins Miller, along with incoming freshman Jalen Adams and Steven Enoch, the Huskies would have a strong influx of talent for next year, with two scholarships opening up again for Class of 2016 recruits.

I like the tone of this article - sounds similar to the tone used by Borges and Amore when discussing Miller.

Reaction Score

Probably. Actually, Price is probably the best recent comp we have for Gibbs, particularly senior Price. Not particularly explosive, but smart with the ball, and a dangerous shooter.

Reaction Score
Well also being on the SH board and hearing the ND rumors seems a little unsettling also. Sounds like he has some choices.

You're unsettled? You want me to call a WHAAAAmbulance for you?

You realize that this is a grad transfer? That he has to actually apply to, and then be admitted to, a grad school that Seton Hall doesn't have? That this takes more time than him verballing to a coach? So presumably, before you wasted our time with this drivel you would have some info about whether he has inquired about a grad program and applied for it?

Seriously, quit whining about nothing just for the sake of it.

Reaction Score
Hypothetically if Gibbs decides to come how do you guys think the minutes will shake out? Have to assume Gibbs will start at PG and JA will be our 6th man. Unfortunately we only have so many minutes to dish out at PG/SG/SF. I'd like to see JA at around 25 mpg but not sure that is feasible.

Gibbs-28
Adams-25
Purvis-30
Samuel-20
Calhoun-15
Cassell Jr-15
Hamilton-32

These projections don't come close to adding up so someone is going to have to take major minute cuts.

Reaction Score
The loser in this conversation is ... Sam Cassell Jr.

And, that is what it should be. He can earn his way up the rotation - I think - but he needs to really polish his ballhandling & be more confident. He did not look ready 10 games into 2014-2015.

Gibbs won't frighten Adams - its one year.

Reaction Score
You're unsettled? You want me to call a WHAAAAmbulance for you?

You realize that this is a grad transfer? That he has to actually apply to, and then be admitted to, a grad school that Seton Hall doesn't have? That this takes more time than him verballing to a coach? So presumably, before you wasted our time with this drivel you would have some info about whether he has inquired about a grad program and applied for it?

Seriously, quit whining about nothing just for the sake of it.
If you real my other post all I was was saying is I'm not going to get my hopes up that he will pick us. As we know here too many times we have been letdown. It is nice that he is being considered as we need him for Scrappy's dream team. LOL!

Reaction Score

Freshman Kemba sat behind Craig Austrie for pete's sake in terms of being a starter. He still got his minutes. So will Adams, assuming he's good enough to deserve them. Frankly, if he's good enough to keep others on the bench, he can get the minutes when any of Miller, Hamilton, Adams or Purvis sitting since Hamilton can slide to the 4 opening up minutes on the wing.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Hypothetically if Gibbs decides to come how do you guys think the minutes will shake out? Have to assume Gibbs will start at PG and JA will be our 6th man. Unfortunately we only have so many minutes to dish out at PG/SG/SF. I'd like to see JA at around 25 mpg but not sure that is feasible.

Gibbs-28
Adams-25
Purvis-30
Samuel-20
Calhoun-15
Cassell Jr-15
Hamilton-32

These projections don't come close to adding up so someone is going to have to take major minute cuts.
If we land Gibbs, Samuel gets most of his minutes taken by Adams. Our backcourt rotation would be divided up between Gibbs, Adams, Purvis, with Samuel and Cassell fighting for the remaining minutes. I've said this before, the less time Samuel has to be on the court, the better. Our offense stalls with Samuel running it. He will get some minutes because of his defensive ability though.

Reaction Score
Why does everyone on the SHU board believe that he's ND bound along with his brother?
I like the tone of this article - sounds similar to the tone used by Borges and Amore when discussing Miller.
wouldn't that be at least 5 scholarships for 2016
Nolan
Calhoun
Miller
+ ? Senior transfer
+ unused
could be as many as 7
We need to be reloading for 2016

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
wouldn't that be at least 5 scholarships for 2016
Nolan
Calhoun
Miller
+ ? Senior transfer
+ unused
could be as many as 7
We need to be reloading for 2016
I think he was just referring to the two grad transfers giving us talent next year but also leaving those 2 scholarships open for 2016.

Reaction Score

Gibbs-28
Adams-25
Purvis-30
Samuel-20
Calhoun-15
Cassell Jr-15
Hamilton-32

If Gibbs comes, then we will likely blow out a lot of teams with our schedule. Therefore, minutes could be slightly misleading. In terms of minutes in meaningful games this would be my guess:
Gibbs: 32
Hamilton: 33
Purvis: 23
Adams: 17
Samuel: 8
Calhoun: 7

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Gibbs- 6'2" - 27
Purvis- 6'4" - 29
Hamilton- 6'7" - 30
Adams- 6'2" - 20
Samuel- 6'4" - 5
Calhoun- 6'5" - 5
Cassel- 6'4" - 4
Total 120

Reaction Score

Gibbs-28
Adams-25
Purvis-30
Samuel-20
Calhoun-15
Cassell Jr-15

Hamilton-32

Definitely won't be 50 minutes combined between these three. I'm hoping that one of Calhoun or Cassell can step up as that three point threat off the bench but TS and OC combined for about 38 minutes a game this past year as the 3-4 guards in the rotation. Once you account for the 25 minutes from JA, that takes away half those minutes plus the bit of extra left due to Boatright playing so much last year. Not a whole lot to go around after that. I have to imagine that one of those guys won't be seeing the floor much at all unfortunately.

Reaction Score
The loser in this conversation is ... Sam Cassell Jr.

And, that is what it should be. He can earn his way up the rotation - I think - but he needs to really polish his ballhandling & be more confident. He did not look ready 10 games into 2014-2015.

Gibbs won't frighten Adams - its one year.

People will earn minutes or they won't. TSam and Jr. and Omar will all have to play better than they did last year to get more than 5 minutes a game. So will Facey. So will Nolan. This would be a good thing, compared to last year when we were so thin that everyone who could contribute a lick had to play 15 minutes a game no matter how poorly they were playing.

Reaction Score

Gibbs-28
Adams-25
Purvis-30
Samuel-20
Calhoun-15
Cassell Jr-15
Hamilton-32

Don't want to get ahead of ourselves here, but don't forget Hamilton will play a lot of stretch 4. So you can chalk up 15 minutes or so to the 4 for him a game. I don't see how Cassell Jr. cracks the rotation if we land Gibbs:

32 Hamilton- Averaged 31min last year
32 Purvis- Averaged 28min last year
28 Gibbs
25 Adams
10 Samuel
8 Calhoun
0 Cassell

Reaction Score
Don't want to get ahead of ourselves here, but don't forget Hamilton will play a lot of stretch 4. So you can chalk up 15 minutes or so to the 4 for him a game. I don't see how Cassell Jr. cracks the rotation if we land Gibbs:

32 Hamilton- Averaged 31min last year
32 Purvis- Averaged 28min last year
28 Gibbs
25 Adams
10 Samuel
8 Calhoun
0 Cassell
Barring him turning into a knock-down three point shooter off the bench, I'd have to agree about Cassell.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Just saw Glen Miller with someone visiting. Didn't look like Gibbs, and he was taller. Didn't recognize him by face. Any word on a recruit visiting today?

Edit: It may have been Shonn Miller, but his complexion looked a bit darker than Miller has in pictures/video IMO.

Reaction Score

Absolutely he would've sat behind Gibbs. Kemba did not have a great freshman campaign. I remember watching the game against Gonzaga in Seattle thinking Kemba didn't look ready for that kind of game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom