Gibbs Announcing He Will Transfer | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Gibbs Announcing He Will Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am not getting my hopes to high with any kid any more. I mean when he announced, and I sure prior with the rumors, he was certainly going to get calls from many big time schools with needs. He is a really good fit for a lot of programs not named UConn so this will be a fight for the staff no doubt.

I hope we get him, to would mean a lot to the team and certainly would add something special to a team looking for some "magical" additions. Pins and needles until then :confused:

Reaction Score
Sources: UConn seen as heavy favorite to land Seton Hall transfer Sterling Gibbs
Peter Bard | April 28, 2015 | Recruiting, Trending | No Comments

Point guard Sterling Gibbs may be headed to Storrs (Photo: Seton Hall athletics)
Seton Hall point guard Sterling Gibbs announced his intent to transfer on Tuesday, and sources close to the situation say UConn is the heavy favorite to land his services.

Gibbs’ desire to transfer to UConn reportedly grew organically from Kevin Ollie’s recruitment of his younger brother, Temple. It has long been rumored that Sterling accompanied Temple on a visit to UConn last month, and that Sterling was impressed by UConn’s facilities. Sterling had been recruited by the Huskies coming out of high school, but originally chose Texas. After one season, he transferred to Seton Hall, and has been one of the best guards in the Big East for the last two seasons, memorably knocking Villanova out of the 2014 Big East Tournament with a last-second buzzer-beater. Last season, he averaged 16.3 points and 3.8 assists, shooting 44 percent from three-point range.

If Gibbs ultimately transfers to UConn, the Huskies will likely be the early favorite in the AAC, and would appear to be in position to make significant noise nationally. Gibbs would slide into the starting point guard position, recently vacated by the graduating Ryan Boatright. A starting lineup of Gibbs, Rodney Purvis, Daniel Hamilton, incoming Cornell transfer Shonn Miller and Amida Brimah would be one of the best in the country, and it would allow Ollie to use incoming freshman Jalen Adams off the bench, rather than forcing him to run the offense from day 1. If Omar Calhoun can be effective enough to be the 7th man, UConn would only need to see one or two of their reserve big men (Phil Nolan, Kentan Facey, and the incoming Steve Enoch) develop into effective rotation players, and they’d be going into the season with a talented, deep roster, capable of beating nearly anyone.

There will likely be more news to come on this, so check back regularly for updates.

Reaction Score
Don't like the Notre Dame thing since his brother is supposed to visit there this weekend. Have to imagine Sterling would be joining him.

Reaction Score
I was hoping this was an automatic thing as far as the transfer from UCONN based on our insiders. We each passing day I'm getting more doubtful this will happen. The one thing that still makes me confident is that KO did say he was going to fill the last 2 scholarships for the class. Though if not SG than who? We have been linked to the 2 star guard(JH) and the decomit juco from St. John's but anyone else?

Reaction Score
I was hoping this was an automatic thing as far as the transfer from UCONN based on our insiders. We each passing day I'm getting more doubt full this will happen. The one thing that still makes me confident is that KO did say he was going to fill the last 2 scholarships for the class. Though if not SG than who? We have been linked to the 2 star guard and the decomit from St. John's but anyone else?
Someone post earlier that ND has 13 scholarship players already for next year.

Reaction Score
Don't like the Notre Dame thing since his brother is supposed to visit there this weekend. Have to imagine Sterling would be joining him.
ND does not have any available scholarships

Reaction Score
I was hoping this was an automatic thing as far as the transfer from UCONN based on our insiders. We each passing day I'm getting more doubt full this will happen. The one thing that still makes me confident is that KO did say he was going to fill the last 2 scholarships for the class. Though if not SG than who? We have been linked to the 2 star guard and the decomit from St. John's but anyone else?
It's been less than 24 hours... I mean I know we had the rumors going for about a month now, but still. Give it time.

Reaction Score
With each passing day? The kid announced that he is transferring YESTERDAY! Give it a week or so at least good grief.

Reaction Score

I wouldn't worry too much. He announced less than 24 hours ago, so a day hasn't passed yet. Also, he needs to get admitted into a grad program first, so it will likely take a little time before an official announcement

Reaction Score
It's been less than 24 hours... I mean I know we had the rumors going for about a month now, but still. Give it time.
Well also being on the SH board and hearing the ND rumors seems a little unsettling also. Sounds like he has some choices.

Reaction Score
Does Sterling Gibbs have any notable current friendships with players on our team? Like Calhoun from NY area in same class, Facey, Samuels, from NYC? AAU teammates, all star or summer league play? Just wondering. Adams clearly is trying to influence other players like Gabriel that he knows. With Kiah Stokes and Miller following Gibbs on twitter recently I was wondering if UConn had other ties to him.

Reaction Score
stating the obvious here, but Temple and Sterling will never play together.. I don't see why ppl are tying them together as much as they are. Plus, Temple has stated multiple times that wants to do his own thing - and not follow in the footsteps of his brothers. I don't think they're some package deal as SHU folks seem to be implying. As a grad transfer Sterling would be foolish to base any decision of what may be appealing to his brother anyway - Sterling has much different immediate needs (I.e. playing time, successful program, ncaa tournament prospects, etc.) I could be wrong.. but I'm not of the camp that thinks any recruitment of Sterling significantly helps our chances with Temple.

Reaction Score
Well also being on the SH board and hearing the ND rumors seems a little unsettling also. Sounds like he has some choices.
I'm not trying to be rude or anything but did you expect a 2 time 1st team big east player to announce he is transferring and no other schools pursuit him? Also, ND has all 13 scholarships filled for next season. Obviously it's no guarantee we get SG but we have a great shot, KO has to seal the deal. Many schools are going to be coming at this kid wanting his services.

caw

Reaction Score
stating the obvious here, but Temple and Sterling will never play together.. I don't see why ppl are tying them together as much as they are. Plus, Temple has stated multiple times that wants to do his own thing - and not follow in the footsteps of his brothers. I don't think they're some package deal as SHU folks seem to be implying. As a grad transfer Sterling would be foolish to base any decision of what may be appealing to his brother anyway - Sterling has much different immediate needs (I.e. playing time, successful program, ncaa tournament prospects, etc.) I could be wrong.. but I'm not of the camp that thinks any recruitment of Sterling significantly helps our chances with Temple.

Though apparently the inverse is true. UConn and NDs recruitment of Temple have helped them to the forefront in the recruitment of Sterling.

Reaction Score
I'm not trying to be rude or anything but did you expect a 2 time 1st team big east player to announce he is transferring and no other schools pursuit him? Also, ND has all 13 scholarships filled for next season. Obviously it's no guarantee we get SG but we have a great shot, KO has to seal the deal. Many schools are going to be coming at this kid wanting his services.
Well I'm just like some other posters and not getting my hopes up too high right now. Though this would seal Scrappy's dream team and all the threads started by him saying UCONN will win it all next year would add some amusement to the board during the off season.

Reaction Score
giphy.gif

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Take with a grain of salt....heard uconn leads and the ND stuff is just talk..... but Heard new schools are starting to get involved like zona ku osu and possible ucla or ducks are starting to call.
OSU, UCLA, Oregon all make no sense. I would think his priority is winning this year and they have no chance of being that caliber teams even with him.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The main reason to transfer is to make a tourney run and to make sure you will get playing time.
In this regard, Kromah is the gift that keeps giving. Ollie just has to point out how well things turned out for him
when he committed to UConn.

Reaction Score
I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't commit to UConn. It's no secret that if UConn gets Gibbs, they will be a top 10 team next year. And that's what Gibbs' goal should be: to win. I think he'd make a mistake by not coming here. He's a scoring point guard and no one produces better scoring point guards than the University of Connecticut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom