Gibbs Announcing He Will Transfer | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Gibbs Announcing He Will Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't want to get ahead of ourselves here, but don't forget Hamilton will play a lot of stretch 4. So you can chalk up 15 minutes or so to the 4 for him a game. I don't see how Cassell Jr. cracks the rotation if we land Gibbs:

32 Hamilton- Averaged 31min last year
32 Purvis- Averaged 28min last year
28 Gibbs
25 Adams
10 Samuel
8 Calhoun
0 Cassell

15 minutes per game would mean that Enoch, facey and nolan get basically no playing time. Brimah and miller will combine for about 55 minutes at the two front court positions. That leaves 25. So if Hamilton takes 15, then that leaves about 10 for the other three bigs. With rebounding being the biggest problem for us last year I would assume ollie would want to go with hamilton + 2 bigs to make sure we control the glass this year. Therefore, i think someone like cassell or calhoun will get squeezed out of the lineup over someone like facey or enoch. It's impossible to tell though without seeing how guys improved and how the freshman will play.

Reaction Score
If you real my other post all I was was saying is I'm not going to get my hopes up that he will pick us. As we know here too many times we have been letdown. It is nice that he is being considered as we need him for Scrappy's dream team. LOL!

There's a difference between getting your hopes up and acting like Chicken Little over ever single issue.

Aren't you the guy that had Ollie in OKC AFTER he issued his statement that he wasn't going anywhere?

Reaction Score
The more I think about it, it is impossible to overstate how important Gibbs would be to our success next year. Having him would give us the flexibility to:

- Ease the burden/pressure on Jalen Adams
- Bench Purvis when he obviously doesn't have it in a particular game
- Rest Daniel Hamilton without suffering a precipitous drop-off in production (by going small with Adams/Gibbs/Purvis, rather than being forced to bring in Samuel, Cassell, or Calhoun)
- Relegate Samuel, Cassell, Calhoun to 8th/9th/10th man roles, rather than 6th or 7th
- Go really small and put 4 scorers on the floor with Adams/Gibbs/Purvis/Hamilton
- Go ridiculously small and put 5 scorers on the floor with Adams/Gibbs/Purvis/Hamilton/Miller (not so far from Bazz/Boat/Kromah/Daniels/Giffey when you think about it)

Reaction Score
I think if we were to land Gibbs, your best case scenario is very likely. Adams, like @OkaForPrez mentions, seems to be all in on the team concept.

I think he'll be fine with being the 6th man, as that will probably get him close to 25 minutes a game, similar to what Kemba & Shabazz had their freshman years.

Yup, and it will allow him to come in and look to score more than if he were in the starting unit with our other major offensive weapons. This way he can focus on scoring and being efficient with the ball, and start putting up 8-10 assist games in his soph year

Reaction Score
The more I think about it, it is impossible to overstate how important Gibbs would be to our success next year. Having him would give us the flexibility to:

- Rest Daniel Hamilton without suffering a precipitous drop-off in production (by going small with Adams/Gibbs/Purvis, rather than being forced to bring in Samuel, Cassell, or Calhoun)
- Relegate Samuel, Cassell, Calhoun to 8th/9th/10th man roles, rather than 6th or 7th
- Go really small and put 4 scorers on the floor with Adams/Gibbs/Purvis/Hamilton
- Go ridiculously small and put 5 scorers on the floor with Adams/Gibbs/Purvis/Hamilton/Miller (not so far from Bazz/Boat/Kromah/Daniels/Giffey when you think about it)
That is the lineup I have been thinking about with this addition. So much offfensive firepower. While Miller and Hamilton lack the size to play the 4/5 together, they make it for it in their length and rebounding abilities. Who knows. Intriguing line up to say the least...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

This was my thinking the moment the Bruce started the rumor. It gives UConn flexibility, depth and a needed missing piece all at once. And as an added bonus it should relax a few people nervous about recruiting.:)

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
This was my thinking the moment the Bruce started the rumor. It gives UConn flexibility, depth and a needed missing piece all at once. And as an added bonus it should relax a few people nervous about recruiting.:)

I love that @CallMeBruce is now "the Bruce." It's like he's been knighted following the Gibbs lead.

Reaction Score

*should* relax them, but won't. why be happy in life when you can worry about nothing.

Reaction Score
There's a difference between getting your hopes up and acting like Chicken Little over ever single issue.

Aren't you the guy that had Ollie in OKC AFTER he issued his statement that he wasn't going anywhere?
Nope wrong guy! I might have still have been worried after his initial statement but I was never saying Ollie was a definite to OKC like that one poster who started a thread based on insider information. LOL!

Reaction Score
With each passing day? The kid announced that he is transferring YESTERDAY! Give it a week or so at least good grief.
this is the BY! every passing day is another opportunity to build a new strawman on why he hasn't committed to uconn.

Reaction Score
I feel that there was some serious strategy to this move on Gibbs part. He could have announced he was transferring a long time ago based on our insider info from "The Bruce," but waiting until now could mean he is on the brink of a decision. Hopeful interpretation, but seems logical

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Just saw Glen Miller with someone visiting. Didn't look like Gibbs, and he was taller. Didn't recognize him by face. Any word on a recruit visiting today?

Edit: It may have been Shonn Miller, but his complexion looked a bit darker than Miller has in pictures/video IMO.
Maybe that could explain this tweet:

The original tweet has been deleted, and I haven't been able to figure out who the player in question is.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

The original tweet has been deleted, and I haven't been able to figure out who the player in question is.

Brendan Bailey.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

Perhaps we should leave it deleted.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
jalen adams is gonna get all the minutes he wants. KO is not stubborn enough to keep a playmaker like that on the bench. not really something to worry about
I tend to agree. I'd be more concerned if I were Calhoun, Samuel, Cassell, etc. Not that the above mentioned guys aren't solid, but if Adams is a star in the making, he could earn minutes like Hamilton did this past year...

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
And since he came back to play at Seton Hall, I would assume he wanted to play close to home in NJ. Now, out of those schools mentioned, UConn is the closest by a wide margin. His parents could watch him play games in his final season at UConn. It just seems to make alot of sense for Gibbs to come here.
Not to mention SNY.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I am 100% sure it was not Brendan Bailey that I saw.

Reaction Score
Bailey wasn't a 4-star, was he? Maybe it was just a weird screw-up, and that's why it was deleted.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Bailey wasn't a 4-star, was he? Maybe it was just a weird screw-up, and that's why it was deleted.
That's my guess. Though it does now beg the question "Who did @RipCity see?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak