Gibbs Announcing He Will Transfer | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Gibbs Announcing He Will Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Could've also been referring to Dominic Green, ASU decommit '15. He's ranked as a 4-star by TOS. Problem is, given he committed to Washington several days ago it wouldn't make any sense for us to have any contact with him.

Reaction Score
"Gibbs was suspended two games after he hit Villanova's Ryan Arcidiacono in the face with his forearm." is it only me or does this make anyone else grin?

He will bring needed toughness to the team. :)

Reaction Score
He will bring needed toughness to the team. :)

Yea. Just my dislike of RA. Good player but too much like Laetner for me. Forces contact to get calls, pretty scrappy away from plays and eyes of the refs. SG really lost his cool. Reminds me of Sellers pounding CL head into the floor after he couldn't take the trash anymore.

Not how you want to be remembered, but push players too far and they will make up for what the refs won't call.

I would be happy to have Sterling just come in and score for us and never get a flagrant.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Won't have any effect. Kemba was a higher ranked recruit then Adams and played behind Price his FR year.

I hope our backcourt is so good that Adams isn't getting 30 minutes.

Reaction Score
I would stay clear of a guy going on third school who has proven he cannot handle adversity. He was central in the Seton Hall locker room disaster. He fought with teammates and took the well known cheap shot when the chips were down against Nova.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I would stay clear of a guy going on third school who has proven he cannot handle adversity. He was central in the Seton Hall locker room disaster. He fought with teammates and took the well known cheap shot when the chips were down against Nova.
You're right. Better go warn Ollie.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Looks like we have a member of Isaiah Whitehead's posse on the board! Cause it was definitely Gibbs ruining that locker room and not your man and his friends.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score

I like you TS but if he wants to come to UConn KO will take care of the young man. We'll be fine as will he.

Reaction Score
Are we worried at all about that punch, or we going with "He's just like Rod Sellers!" and calling it a day?

Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry about a one-off incident on the court. Chris Paul sucker punched a guy in the nuts in college. Hasn't followed him.

I would be concerned about a persistent pattern of poor behavior on the court or in the locker room. But I don't consider taking advantage of the grad school transfer rules to be a sign of poor character. On the contrary, I consider it wise to explore your options as an adult when you have options (and he's an adult now). Every adult on this board has likely done it. I thought it was wise for Oriakhi to leave - thought he'd have been foolish to stick around, even if he was fully content.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Given the history of our championship teams, playing with 2 point guards at a time would not surprise me at all. Rodney could swing and play some at the 3. IF Sterling were to come to UConn, it would be a pretty unique "experiment" to bring in an established player to take over or share the point for a single year. It would take some time for the players to learn to work together and Jalen would need to be brought along quickly. At times the best team might look like the "small squad" from 2014 with Gibbs, Adams, Purvis, Hamilton, and Miller.
Probably. Actually, Price is probably the best recent comp we have for Gibbs, particularly senior Price. Not particularly explosive, but smart with the ball, and a dangerous shooter.

A senior "AJ Price-type" player would be amazing. Can Gibbs run the offense, make skilled passes?

Reaction Score
I'd take a shot at Arcidiacono.

That can't be a disqualifier.

Reaction Score
Sources: UConn seen as heavy favorite to land Seton Hall transfer Sterling Gibbs
Peter Bard | April 28, 2015 | Recruiting, Trending | No Comments

Point guard Sterling Gibbs may be headed to Storrs (Photo: Seton Hall athletics)
Seton Hall point guard Sterling Gibbs announced his intent to transfer on Tuesday, and sources close to the situation say UConn is the heavy favorite to land his services.

Gibbs’ desire to transfer to UConn reportedly grew organically from Kevin Ollie’s recruitment of his younger brother, Temple. It has long been rumored that Sterling accompanied Temple on a visit to UConn last month, and that Sterling was impressed by UConn’s facilities. Sterling had been recruited by the Huskies coming out of high school, but originally chose Texas. After one season, he transferred to Seton Hall, and has been one of the best guards in the Big East for the last two seasons, memorably knocking Villanova out of the 2014 Big East Tournament with a last-second buzzer-beater. Last season, he averaged 16.3 points and 3.8 assists, shooting 44 percent from three-point range.

If Gibbs ultimately transfers to UConn, the Huskies will likely be the early favorite in the AAC, and would appear to be in position to make significant noise nationally. Gibbs would slide into the starting point guard position, recently vacated by the graduating Ryan Boatright. A starting lineup of Gibbs, Rodney Purvis, Daniel Hamilton, incoming Cornell transfer Shonn Miller and Amida Brimah would be one of the best in the country, and it would allow Ollie to use incoming freshman Jalen Adams off the bench, rather than forcing him to run the offense from day 1. If Omar Calhoun can be effective enough to be the 7th man, UConn would only need to see one or two of their reserve big men (Phil Nolan, Kentan Facey, and the incoming Steve Enoch) develop into effective rotation players, and they’d be going into the season with a talented, deep roster, capable of beating nearly anyone.

There will likely be more news to come on this, so check back regularly for updates.

Haven't heard from Scrappy since this post. Concerned he either self combusted or literally exploded in joy. He'll have us beating the Cav's in 4.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Gibbs can definitely play off of the ball when one considers how adept an outside shooter he is while averaging just under 4 assists a game. Adams is coming from a Brewster team that boasted considerable D1 talent all over the court; especially in the back-court with Mitchell, Crisp, and Simon where he often operated as the main facilitator. I can't imagine a player of his background and talent would come in an not automatically compete for a starting spot even if Gibbs is a senior. I pray Purvis is focusing on consistent production. If not I could easily see a starting back-court of Adams and Gibbs that would look similar in many ways to the partnership of Bazz and Boat. It makes me grin just thinking of the battles these guys will go through against each other in preseason and practice everyday striving to earn their spot in the lineup. Ollie is the type of hard-nosed, no nonsense coach that will not guarantee minutes for anyone. Every minute will be earned. The speculation provides for excitement but for the actual players, the only way they will see the court is if they prove to Ollie they deserve it. KO worked tooth an nail to carve out such a long nba journeyman career and I can't wait to see the tenacity this team plays with when everyone buys in to his way of basketball. It hasn't been more than what, 48 hours since gibbs announced and already the wait is excruciating. Like a few other posters have alluded to before, if SG chooses Husky Nation I'll be itching to see the small ball lineup of Adams/Gibbs/Purvis/Hamilton/Miller; mouth watering. Also hoping Omar is playing 100 games of around the world from the 3-point line every day and working on his defensive slides. If he can come in and knock down threes and not be a negative a D it could solve a lot of issues. Glad we have some bigger bodies to come in and make life harder on Brimah in practice because as someone said a while back, he probably looked like a lottery pick during practice last year but disappeared in so many big games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom