GDL and offensive line | Page 4 | The Boneyard

GDL and offensive line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
[quote="Srqhusky, post: 594974, member: 2255"Lets hope the line improves its play this year so every defense doesn't look like Alabamas

Lets hope the play calling moves into the 21st century so some of our 'fans' quit throwing the line under the bus[/quote]
Well members of the o line have admitted they have to improve for the team to have success. But you are correct in play calling could improve. Do you care to elaborate on how play calling changes will help decrease false starts and unblocked blitzers going through the line like they were invisible.

Reaction Score
Lots of false starts/unneeded time outs/delay of game penalties caused by disorganized insertion of Wildcat. Hopefully with no-huddle faster pace this will be eliminated.

The unblocked blitzers thing is can be attributed to poor coaching (or in last year's case, no in-game coaching) and the coaches' failure to adjust as much as the players.

BTW anyone who is not working and posting on a nice day like today here in CT is nuts. Wish I was outside playing golf instead of 'working'

Reaction Score
Lets hope the play calling moves into the 21st century so some of our 'fans' quit throwing the line under the bus

You refuse to admit/can't admit that amongst a number of problems - the offensive line was one of them?

Why does it seem acceptable on the MBB board for "fans" to be critical of a component of the players game that may have impacted the outcome of a game ("the front line was soft and couldn't rebound for ") but if done here - it's a major bone of contention?

Reaction Score
Interesting how PP must be a horrible recruiter because our classes rank in the 70s but if our players don't play well it is because of bad coaching and not talent.

Reaction Score
Because, unlike basketball, football line play is much more 'nuanced' and much more influenced by coaching. Rebounding, etc. more often than not comes down to talent & desire and it's easy to see from the stands when people aren't succeeding and aren't trying.

In football, it's easy to blame the line when the plays don't work. But when the offense is so predictable as UConn's has been the past two seasons it's very easy for opposing defensive coaches to scheme for. It is much more of a chess game than basketball. If people in the stands know what's coming, it's a pretty good bet the other Def. coordinator does. How many times did the other team start 'bringing the house' after the first quarter and UConn never had answer?

Sorry, I don't believe UConn's available offensive line talent dropped that dramatically the minute PP/GDL arrived.

Reaction Score
Our previous offense would be 250 yards rushing. Maybe 120 yards passing. Now we are doing 250 yards passing and maybe 100 yards rushing. We were masterfully executing running plays.

The offense we are running now is more complex. Asks more of our offensive line but has much more upside

Reaction Score
We were also masterfully averaging 8 wins and a bowl appearance for four straight seasons.

Reaction Score
Because, unlike basketball, football line play is much more 'nuanced' and much more influenced by coaching. Rebounding, etc. more often than not comes down to talent & desire and it's easy to see from the stands when people aren't succeeding and aren't trying. .

So UConn's rebounding problems this year was because they weren't trying and lacked desire? C'mon.

Fundamentals are fundamentals - we're not talking about schemes. Boxing out on a court is as every bit as coachable as holding a block on the offensive line is.

This group knows what needs to be done and without injuries wrecking havoc - should be able to get it done:

>>"I think we are going to go up," said senior guard Steve Greene. "I know I am not going to stand for it and all the other guys are with me, we are not going to be the weak point of this team. We are going to be the driving force behind this team that helps us win the game. It was awful. There is no other word that says it. When you can’t run the ball it makes you so one dimensional and teams can virtually just tee off on you and it makes everything else a lot harder. When you can run the ball you can control the game and that is what we need to be back to. That is what we’ve been preaching and what we’ve been working. We are going to run the football and be successful at it." Running the ball has been a trademark of recent UConn squads which made what happened last season tough to swallow for players and fans alike. "It was a collaboration of everything, it wasn’t everybody all the time it was one person having a breakdown," Greene said. "On offense you need 11 guys functioning together or it is not going to work. Right now I feel like we are on that page, we are working real well and you are going to see some results. "The standard has been set. We know what needs to get done. Really there is nothing left to do but to do it. I know it is a corny saying but that is what it comes down to."<<

http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2013/04/offensive-line-looks-to-rebound-after.html[/quote[/quote]

Reaction Score
I never said that I supported him at all. I am as frustrated as the rest.

What is dumb is to continue posting the same old crap ad nauseum. We got the message about 6 months ago.

Continuing to run the guy into the ground no longer serves any purpose and honestly does not enhance, what was once, our good reputation.

Put it in the Cesspool where it belongs.

He needs to be run into the ground. Harder.

Reaction Score
It's both. Players and coaches.

I think the players didn't change much. The methods the coaches are employing are bad, the team doesn't play with the same passion and energy as before.

Take a look at our sideline this fall. Our players look disinterested, disorganized and disconnected during the game. One thing Edsall always had was an engaged and disciplined sideline.

You hardly ever saw the wrong players in the game AFTER a timeout. That happened on two seperate instances last seasons.

During the Cincy game you would have thought it was them that was fighting to get to a bowl.

Pasqualoni and his team are a complete mess.

Reaction Score
Interesting how PP must be a horrible recruiter because our classes rank in the 70s but if our players don't play well it is because of bad coaching and not talent.

Really? Because Senior Citizen Husky, Medic and Rich sing the praises to Pasqualoni's "recruiting". "it's the best ever, I'll tell you whut (sic)". And I guess our recruiting must have always sucked even though we had NFL waste 5 draft picks on our lack of talent.

Let me ask you guys something. Have you people ever heard a program claim that they didn't just have the best recruiting class ever?

Reaction Score
I think the players didn't change much. The methods the coaches are employing are bad, the team doesn't play with the same passion and energy as before.

Take a look at our sideline this fall. Our players look disinterested, disorganized and disconnected during the game. One thing Edsall always had was an engaged and disciplined sideline.

You hardly ever saw the wrong players in the game AFTER a timeout. That happened on two seperate instances last seasons.

During the Cincy game you would have thought it was them that was fighting to get to a bowl.

Pasqualoni and his team are a complete mess.

I remember the Cincy game last year. Both teams came out of the locker room to start the game. UConn jogged out, some walked. Cincy came flying out, sprinted and beat UConn to their place on the sideline. The energy and body language difference was very noticable.

Reaction Score
Let me ask you guys something. Have you people ever heard a program claim that they didn't just have the best recruiting class ever?

You're mixing and matching discussions but yeah - pretty much the last two years Edsall was here - our recruiting tanked (and I have no beef w/ Edsall other than how he left).

Stars are stars and rankings are rankings but... 2011 class which for all practical purposes was Randy's - was ranked 101. The 2010 was 83. Not sure many people on here were crowing about recruiting then.

But I agree it doesn't matter unless it translates to wins.

Reaction Score
I remember the Cincy game last year. Both teams came out of the locker room to start the game. UConn jogged out, some walked. Cincy came flying out, sprinted and beat UConn to their place on the sideline. The energy and body language difference was very noticable.
I seriously doubt that happened an that's on the captains. I seriously doubt our seniors. Wirth and moore would allow that

Reaction Score
You're mixing and matching discussions but yeah - pretty much the last two years Edsall was here - our recruiting tanked (and I have no beef w/ Edsall other than how he left).

Stars are stars and rankings are rankings but... 2011 class which for all practical purposes was Randy's - was ranked 101. The 2010 was 83. Not sure many people on here were crowing about recruiting then.

But I agree it doesn't matter unless it translates to wins.

Are you Desmond Conner?

Reaction Score
Are you Desmond Conner?

Ha, yeah, that's it. I understand that presenting facts is no fun...

We both know that recruiting is an inexact science/art.

Our problem is not so much lack of player talent, it's lack of depth of player talent. One person has a bad day or gets injured, we have less margin of error to overcome it.

Reaction Score
Ha, yeah, that's it. I understand that presenting facts is no fun...

We both know that recruiting is an inexact science/art.

Our problem is not so much lack of player talent, it's lack of depth of player talent. One person has a bad day or gets injured, we have less margin of error to overcome it.

Your facts are BS, at best. So you can shove your smug you know where.

The rankings are put together by losers with high blood pressure who aren't skilled enough to work for actual football programs.

Nobody ever gave a crap about rankings here ever before. Now that they actually support your lame argument, they do matter. That's so Waylonesque.

Look. You love Pasqualoni, admit it. And even if your rankings mattered (they don't), it didn't affect the players on the field the last two seasons.

He's been an unmitigated failure and an embarrassment, and you're his biggest advocate here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom