GDL and offensive line | Page 3 | The Boneyard

GDL and offensive line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I tried to make a similar thread towards the end of the football year last year, in an attempt to reconcile the fact that he is a respected OLine coach even at the highest level with the fact that the OLine was our worst unit last year. My thread degraded to rock bottom levels after about two posts. I think you may have beaten me by a post or two... ;)

I think you're a good guy Dan, and would like to share a beverage or 8 with you at the Rent this year, but here is the problem with you Pollyanna guys: the second that people start talking about reality, that may not reflect well on the program, you guys get all bent out of shape. I really don't see many posts (save Zoo) that really bashing GDL. The OP asked for opinions, he got them. I agree with Pioli, and think FCF hit it on the head. The guy has been a disaster at every stop for the better part of 2 decades. Look at Ole Miss' rushing stats during GDL's one year as Running Game Coordinator. That is not bashing GDL. That is providing factual evidence to support your position.

If you guys really want a thread that prohibits anyone saying anything negative about his coaching ability, just state that. I promise I won't post in that thread. I will simply read it for a laugh. But I'm sick of people like Loop, who's first post in this thread insults me and Zoo complete with a picture of a beaten dead horse, lecture everyone else about civility and what we can and cannot post. There are many threads on this board I have not even looked at, because the title doesn't interest me. It's just a suggestion.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think you're a good guy Dan, and would like to share a beverage or 8 with you at the Rent this year, but here is the problem with you Pollyanna guys: the second that people start talking about reality, that may not reflect well on the program, you guys get all bent out of shape. I really don't see many posts (save Zoo) that really bashing GDL. The OP asked for opinions, he got them. I agree with Pioli, and think FCF hit it on the head. The guy has been a disaster at every stop for the better part of 2 decades. Look at Ole Miss' rushing stats during GDL's one year as Running Game Coordinator. That is not bashing GDL. That is providing factual evidence to support your position.

If you guys really want a thread that prohibits anyone saying anything negative about his coaching ability, just state that. I promise I won't post in that thread. I will simply read it for a laugh. But I'm sick of people like Loop, who's first post in this thread insults me and Zoo complete with a picture of a beaten dead horse, lecture everyone else about civility and what we can and cannot post. There are many threads on this board I have not even looked at, because the title doesn't interest me. It's just a suggestion.

1) First of all, it would be 8 beverages. Definitely 8.

2) I don't mind people being critical of the coaching staff, or the administration, or whatever aspect of the university they wish to be critical of. But I'm guessing what the OP was looking for (and what I was DEFINITELY looking for) was a more in-depth analysis. We all know he stunk as a play-caller. But what about the nuances of the zone blocking schemes? How does the new zone blocking affect the running game concepts? Was the horrible turnover margin this past year due to missed assignments, poor design, or both?

3) I didn't specifically call anyone out on this thread, so I'm somewhat surprised at your reaction of calling me a "Pollyanna". There is nothing Pollyanna about me. I was absolutely on board with bringing back Foley at OL (mostly because I like the "three yards and a cloud of smoke" mentality). I'm on record of saying that if PP doesn't go 6-6, he's gone. I like to think that I approach the board with a rational view, despite my fun "13-0" comments from time to time.

I guess I'm just looking for more specific substance and less generality. I would love to hear from someone like Third And One (Griffin's father), who might be able to add some insider perspective to the whole thing. I think that's why I appreciate Carl's point of view on subject matters like this, since he was a former player. At the end of the day, I guess we are all just slinging opinions around, so I suppose we should all have some fun with it...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Of all the GDL OC coaching deficiencies; none are cause he is tooooooooooo smart.
Agreed. I love the argument that people fail at something because they are "too smart." Any reasonable measure of intelligence includes the ability to adapt or too adjust. No people fail because they are unable to adjust, unable to communicate effectively, fail to see what strategies are being employed against them, but not because they are too smart.

FWIW, few things would make me happier as a UConn football fan than to see GDL show that he is "genius" of a OL coach. That would mean that: 1) our biggest shortcoming has been corrected; 2) he isn't getting in the Weist doing his job. If that mean that PP/GDL show sticks around, I'm fine with it.

Reaction Score
I tried to make a similar thread towards the end of the football year last year, in an attempt to reconcile the fact that he is a respected OLine coach even at the highest level with the fact that the OLine was our worst unit last year. My thread degraded to rock bottom levels after about two posts. I think you may have beaten me by a post or two... ;)
Yes and after awhile it just serves absolutely no purpose except to make ALL of us look like a bunch of jerks and give us a bad reputation. Same old story game passed him by, he should be fired blah blah. Nothing better to do I suppose.

The Hater Blog has become our well-earned reputation.

Reaction Score

I don't think anyone objects to criticism. What you call criticism is rehashing every mistake the coaching staff makes as if they do nothing right.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I love the argument that people fail at something because they are "too smart." Any reasonable measure of intelligence includes the ability to adapt or too adjust. No people fail because they are unable to adjust, unable to communicate effectively, fail to see what strategies are being employed against them, but not because they are too smart.

FWIW, few things would make me happier as a UConn football fan than to see GDL show that he is "genius" of a OL coach. That would mean that: 1) our biggest shortcoming has been corrected; 2) he isn't getting in the Weist doing his job. If that mean that PP/GDL show sticks around, I'm fine with it.

The uni-bomber is a genius that was "too smart."

GDL seems to be a knowledgeable guy that has trouble disseminating knowledge.

By the way, every time I hear a coach or manager referred to as a "genius," the words "overqualified" and "under-utilized" come to mind.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone objects to criticism. What you call criticism is rehashing every mistake the coaching staff makes as if they do nothing right.

What are they doing right?

Reaction Score
35th in the nation rushing (Jordan Todman) and 11th in turnover margin was very helpful.

It didn't mean jack when we were up against a squad as deep and physically gifted as Oklahoma. You can't be one dimensional on offense and have aspirations of being considered among the best in the country.

Our defense and special teams kept us in that game for a little while, but without a complete offense, we got crushed and lost by 4 TD's.

We cannot let that happen again, when we get to the big stage again. And we will be back.

Reaction Score
Hater Blog - Dumb

Got news for you bub. What you think is dumb-probably isn't.

Dumb is supporting the guy who can't call a timeout even though he's been a football coach his entire life.

Dumb is supporting the former offensive coordinator who ACTUALLY SAID, that we needed to rely on the defense to win games.

Capiche?

Reaction Score
It didn't mean jack when we were up against a squad as deep and physically gifted as WESTERN MICHIGAN. You can't be one dimensional on offense and have aspirations of being considered among the best in the

FYP

Reaction Score

western Michigan was an emotional let down that was so expected. We got too far behind, before the juices starting kicking in after the win at Maryland, and then going to play in Kalamzoo in the wind and rain and cold in front of 157 people, and then didn't have enough in the tank to finish out the come back.

Reaction Score
western Michigan was an emotional let down that was so expected. We got too far behind, before the juices starting kicking in after the win at Maryland, and then going to play in Kalamzoo in the wind and rain and cold in front of 157 people, and then didn't have enough in the tank to finish out the come back.

Evidently the head coach also made a really wise decision to spend the week preparing to stop the run.

Reaction Score
Evidently the head coach also made a really wise decision to spend the week preparing to stop the run.
Didn't our qb throw for four td in that game. That doesn't happen often

Reaction Score
Got news for you bub. What you think is dumb-probably isn't.

Dumb is supporting the guy who can't call a timeout even though he's been a football coach his entire life.

Dumb is supporting the former offensive coordinator who ACTUALLY SAID, that we needed to rely on the defense to win games.

Capiche?
I never said that I supported him at all. I am as frustrated as the rest.

What is dumb is to continue posting the same old crap ad nauseum. We got the message about 6 months ago.

Continuing to run the guy into the ground no longer serves any purpose and honestly does not enhance, what was once, our good reputation.

Put it in the Cesspool where it belongs.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
This talk about the Western Michigan game has me baffled. There were plenty of other examples to talk about our inept offense last year, and for some reason we are focusing on the Western Michigan game. Let's be honest about that game; there were a lot of lessons to be learned there:

1) We lost the turnover battle....again. This was the biggest statistic of the entire season last year in my opinion, and I don't think we talk enough about it. It is the major difference between Edsall's success and Pasqualoni's failure here to date, IMHO. Some due to the OLine, some on the QB, etc. But in this particular game, when you throw a pick in the opponent's endzone, and then you have another moment when a linebacker pulls the ball from the QB and runs it back for a TD, you've squandered some big-time points that really shouldn't be put on the coaches.

2) The running game wasn't really the problem in the WMU game. Lyle went for a buck twenty and an average of over 5 yards per carry.

3) With two NFL-caliber DB's, we made Alex Carder look like Dan Marino....again. But not much blame goes to Don Brown on this board, which actually shocks me a little. I thought that of all the coaches that were a little lost in the game planning department that day, he was front and center.

So like I said, of ALL the other games that we can talk about play calling and bad offensive scheming, why pick this game? So many others to pick from... :oops:

pj

Reaction Score
This talk about the Western Michigan game has me baffled. There were plenty of other examples to talk about our inept offense last year, and for some reason we are focusing on the Western Michigan game. Let's be honest about that game; there were a lot of lessons to be learned there:

1) We lost the turnover battle....again. This was the biggest statistic of the entire season last year in my opinion, and I don't think we talk enough about it. It is the major difference between Edsall's success and Pasqualoni's failure here to date, IMHO. Some due to the OLine, some on the QB, etc. But in this particular game, when you throw a pick in the opponent's endzone, and then you have another moment when a linebacker pulls the ball from the QB and runs it back for a TD, you've squandered some big-time points that really shouldn't be put on the coaches.

2) The running game wasn't really the problem in the WMU game. Lyle went for a buck twenty and an average of over 5 yards per carry.

3) With two NFL-caliber DB's, we made Alex Carder look like Dan Marino....again. But not much blame goes to Don Brown on this board, which actually shocks me a little. I thought that of all the coaches that were a little lost in the game planning department that day, he was front and center.

So like I said, of ALL the other games that we can talk about play calling and bad offensive scheming, why pick this game? So many others to pick from... :oops:

Great points Dan. The biggest emotional hangover from the win over Maryland may have been Don Brown's.

Reaction Score
It didn't mean jack when we were up against a squad as deep and physically gifted as Oklahoma. You can't be one dimensional on offense and have aspirations of being considered among the best in the country.

Our defense and special teams kept us in that game for a little while, but without a complete offense, we got crushed and lost by 4 TD's.

We cannot let that happen again, when we get to the big stage again. And we will be back.

Wasn't defending lack of passing game. But one-dimensional is better than non-dimensional.

Reaction Score

Great point on number one. It doesnt get enough attention. This season could have been 2 or three wins more easily I it wasn't for a play here or there. A completion or a drop to extend a drive or kill a drive. When the ball is fumbled or intercepted we give the oppenent extea chances to beat us.Turnovers we were something like 80 th in the country. Our coach acknowledges that has to get better. Why its not discussed more I don't know. It's easier to blame the coach than to look in the mirror

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Great point on number one. It doesnt get enough attention. This season could have been 2 or three wins more easily I it wasn't for a play here or there. A completion or a drop to extend a drive or kill a drive. When the ball is fumbled or intercepted we give the oppenent extea chances to beat us.Turnovers we were something like 80 th in the country. Our coach acknowledges that has to get better. Why its not discussed more I don't know. It's easier to blame the coach than to look in the mirror

No, we weren't "like 80th". We were 110th!!! I can't describe how bad that is. It killed the entire season. Could PP, GDL, and DB have done things differently to affect that? Yes, of course. But the turnover margin was a major factor in why we weren't contending in the Big East or bowling in December/January, and it never gets talked about...

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1059/p3

Reaction Score
Improving Offensive line play should bring this down considerably. More time for qb should mean better decisions. Also running more effectively means less predictable passing downs. Lets hope the line improves its play this year so every defense doesn't look like Alabamas

Reaction Score
[quote="Srqhusky, post: 594974, member: 2255"Lets hope the line improves its play this year so every defense doesn't look like Alabamas[/quote]

Lets hope the play calling moves into the 21st century so some of our 'fans' quit throwing the line under the bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom