GDL and offensive line | Page 6 | The Boneyard

GDL and offensive line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I personally think head coaches probably deserve 3 years unless they do a really, really terrible job (like, say, Edsall is doing in Maryland). But I'm not the Athletic Director. I don't know if Manuel forced Pasqualoni to hire a new OC, or if Pasqualoni did it to protect his own job. It's not my concern. My only concern is whether or not he can improve this year. If not, too bad for him, onto the next guy.

How many coaches turn it around after their first 2 seasons were lousy ??

It's VERY VERY rare.

How many athletic programs would love to have those post-season 2 seasons back ?? cuse (grob), lvile (krags), etc... They would love to have made that decision after year 2, instead of 3 or 4 (i believe they each lasted 4, and in both cases, after year 2 you could tell it was a dumpster fire). It's just wasted time and money at a certain point. We are past that point by 4 months.

Reaction Score
I personally think head coaches probably deserve 3 years unless they do a really, really terrible job (like, say, Edsall is doing in Maryland). But I'm not the Athletic Director. I don't know if Manuel forced Pasqualoni to hire a new OC, or if Pasqualoni did it to protect his own job. It's not my concern. My only concern is whether or not he can improve this year. If not, too bad for him, onto the next guy.
Edsall has had a run of bad luck in Maryland. First half hi team walked out then the next season they were using a fifth string qb due to injuries. The jury is not out on him yet. Grade incomplete

Reaction Score
Some of You guys need patience or medication. Probably both

Reaction Score
Two losing seasons in a row. Took the better part of two seasons to win two games in a row. Dropped a bunch of close games on bad coaching decisions.

Our power running game, which was once money in the bank and one of the few signature characteristics of the program has been obliterated in favor of a mediocre passing attack.

Most programs regret not firing coaches sooner. Warde had his chance to get ahead of the curve. This season is partially on him because he chose to not fire him after two seasons of red flags that have appeared to be merely a continuation of the tail end of his career flagging career at Syracuse.

Given the financial considerations, do you really believe the state was going to allow another $1 million-plus to be thrown into the severance pot?

Reaction Score
Back-to-back 5-7 records wasn't enough to get him tossed (in the view of the administration) so now we have to wait and hope, even though few of us think he will get the job done. And aside from his record, he has sucked the air out of the fanbase. Who is actually more than cautiously optimistic? I'm not. I don't know of anyone who is (that I speak with personally). I didn't object to his hire at the time (although I wasn't a cheerleader) - he had a solid pedigree even though I wanted either a proven name or an up-and-comer. He has turned out to be very middle of the road at a time when we needed better. So I'm hoping for the best. But I don't care what the record is this year. If it doesn't "feel" like this is moving in the right direction even if we are 10-2 he should still go. I hope that this season is really an on-the-job interview for TJW.

Reaction Score
If we go 10-2 and the hater blog is still beating. We know we have other issues. Glad u were n t in charge of basketball during calhouns early years

Reaction Score
you mean when Calhoun won the NIT in his second year and almost got to the Final Four his fourth year? I remember that era vividly. Some might say the current football staff has a lot of Perno in it.

Seriously guys we need a cease-fire here. Assume we all want UConn to do well no matter who's coaching. My dream scenario is TJ gets carte blanche (with play call, time out power), offensive shoots up to the 50s-60s nationally, Hughes/PP keep defense about same level, 8-9 wins, bowl, and PP/GDL ride into sunset with their reps somewhat restored as they hand keys to Hot New Coaching Prospect T.J. Weist.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If we go 10-2 and the hater blog is still beating. We know we have other issues. Glad u were n t in charge of basketball during calhouns early years

If we go 10-2, it means we either beat Michigan and Maryland or we won the conference plus a BCS bid and PP can rightfully tell everyone they were wrong and to go F themselves.

It's a bet I'm happy to take and happy to lose. But, I wouldn't lose.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

You just gave yourself away with this one. You don't know what you are talking about. It was clear that JC was the man that 1st year, even while going 9-19. Just as it's clear now that P isn't the man.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
When this place became unbearable last year I took a hiatus and it was well needed. I'm close again. I would highly recommend it if this is the way you feel. Because you guys are posting hateful things in response to what you deem hateful posts. It's like the thread sdhusky started last month.....whining about people whining.

Unfortunately, there is a parallel between this dialogue now and the big reason this board became so unbearable last year (at least to me). I don't remember which game it was (maybe Buffalo?) but after that game, HuskyFanDan basically decided that PP was horrible and had to go. If you didn't agree with him, you were personally hurting the program and screwing over everyone else who was a "real" fan. And that started a steep downward slide which has resulted in HFD no longer posting on this board (both because people were willing to pay money to stop him from doing so and also because he was banned - temporarily?).

I think several other posters are reaching a similar level of unbearability this offseason but in an even worse way since there is no chance anything will change for the next several months. I understand that the ignore button is there but I'd rather not stop listening to opposing opinions and end up missing some good points in the process.

I wanted GDL and PP gone at the end of last year. I wrote to Warde Manuel about it and expressed that opinion. Obviously, PP is still there but GDL has been demoted and I'm interested to see how TJW and the offense goes this year. I don't personally see the need to accuse every other person who doesn't feel exactly the same way I do about PP of being an apologist, Desmond Conner or not a real fan of the program.

The Internet and anonymity can be such a bad environment for dialogue – I've been guilty of that on this board as well.

Having a different opinion should not be a reason to be ignored but can we at least try to be a little more respectful of other points of view? I know, fat chance.

Reaction Score
You just gave yourself away with this one. You don't know what you are talking about. It was clear that JC was the man that 1st year, even while going 9-19. Just as it's clear now that P isn't the man.
Rethink. The guy said he would deserve to be fired if he goes 10-2. That would be our best record ever???

Reaction Score
I mean - had three plays gone differently and we were 8-4 all of the sudden he is a great coach? The record isn't as much of an issue to me than the overall feeling of hopelessness that the fanbase has.

I don't ever recall that under the Calhoun era. Ever.

Reaction Score
Given the financial considerations, do you really believe the state was going to allow another $1 million-plus to be thrown into the severance pot?

So, how do you know that someone had not already offered to pay it? And UConn declined...

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
How many coaches turn it around after their first 2 seasons were lousy ??

It's VERY VERY rare.

How many athletic programs would love to have those post-season 2 seasons back ?? cuse (grob), lvile (krags), etc... They would love to have made that decision after year 2, instead of 3 or 4 (i believe they each lasted 4, and in both cases, after year 2 you could tell it was a dumpster fire). It's just wasted time and money at a certain point. We are past that point by 4 months.

Ironically enough, I happened to read Paul Myerberg's profile of Georgia State which was published today. They are #125 in his annual countdown which he now publishes at USA Today. The coach of that team is new and came from Indiana State where he was considered a great success. Of note, in his first two seasons at Indiana State he went 1-22. After that, he did better.

Please note that this does not mean I am comparing UConn to Indiana State in any way, shape or form. I am also not trying to compare this guy to PP. I just happened to read that profile soon after reading your comment and thought it was ironic that one of those very very rare examples popped up right in front of me.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
So, how do you know that someone had not already offered to pay it? And UConn declined...

Pure conjecture as a counter-argument is usually a losing proposition.

Reaction Score
Ironically enough, I happened to read Paul Myerberg's profile of Georgia State which was published today. They are #125 in his annual countdown which he now publishes at USA Today. The coach of that team is new and came from Indiana State where he was considered a great success. Of note, in his first two seasons at Indiana State he went 1-22. After that, he did better.

Please note that this does not mean I am comparing UConn to Indiana State in any way, shape or form. I am also not trying to compare this guy to PP. I just happened to read that profile soon after reading your comment and thought it was ironic that one of those very very rare examples popped up right in front of me.

Indiana State was bad. Like Division III bad for a time. They basically needed to reboot.

Reaction Score

To be honest, no I don't. But given "lame-duck" issues, especially related to recruiting, it doesn't make any sense.

Reaction Score
To be honest, no I don't. But given "lame-duck" issues, especially related to recruiting, it doesn't make any sense.

Often times, dudes with lots of money make offers that don't make sense to the rest of us. But I have a strong hunch that when the offer was made, it wasn't a lame duck issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom