GDL and offensive line | Page 2 | The Boneyard

GDL and offensive line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Remember back in third grade when we had to find the main idea of a paragraph. Jimmy what is the main idea. Is that less moderator ish for you

I was so smart.....I skipped third grade.

Reaction Score
Our offensive stats in 2011 and 2012 were offensive. All meaningful categories at or well below 90 out of 120 in division 1 rankings.

Keep in mind though, that in our most prolific season to date, a Fiesta Bowl appearance, in 2010.....
total offense as yards per game was ranked 95 of 120
Yards per offensive play was 98 of 120
Our passing offense was ranked 110 of 120 in total yards per game, 112 out of 120 in yards per pass.

THe prevailing piece of wisdom aroudn here, was that we could continue doing that forever and win games, (run the ball well on offense, and play defense and special teams) but you have to recruit people, you have to recruit for a WHOLE team.

Two years though, is plenty of time, MORE than enough time, to install fundamental changes in both approach to the game, and personnel on offense. We needed it, badly, for recruiting.

It's got to click now though.

Reaction Score
Slightly. Just as douchy, though.
Wasn't trying to be a but there are plenty of threads where jimmy can bash on gdl or he could start his own. I find it non productive to bring it up on every thread. We have a new team new coaches. New season New beers to be tried. If someone sees there might be some value in gdl and that is the topic we don't just change the topic to serve ourselves.

Reaction Score
Wasn't trying to be a but there are plenty of threads where jimmy can bash on gdl or he could start his own. I find it non productive to bring it up on every thread. We have a new team new coaches. New season New beers to be tried. If someone sees there might be some value in gdl and that is the topic we don't just change the topic to serve ourselves.

LOL. This thread is about GDL and how the game has passed him by.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately last year we seemed to confuse ourselves more than the opposing defense on gameday. The timeouts needed, false starts, and bungled execution hurt us badly. How many times did we come out, run a shift and then motion a receiver back to the center of the field before running up the A or B gaps? Drove me nuts. Spread the field and snap the ball. Get some momentum going. Just to damn complicated most of the time.

Reaction Score
LOL. This thread is about GDL and how the game has passed him by.

Selective reading, but, hey, you and ZooCougar never miss a chance.

Beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Only four more months of it to look forward to. I'm pumped.

Reaction Score
Selective reading, but, hey, you and ZooCougar never miss a chance.

Beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Only four more months of it to look forward to. I'm pumped.

No, actually it's not selective reading. Here is part of the OP:

Pioli did insinuate that perhaps the game had passed GDL by. Pioli spoke a lot in the past tense about GDL's coaching prowess and at the end, almost as throw away line, said "He's still working in football at UConn in some capacity."

Not trying to start a GDL bash-a-thon, I just thought it was interesting to hear the perspective of someone who worked with him during his prime.

This is like me saying, "I don't mean to start another thread about Randy Edsall, but boy did he really the bed his first 2 years at UMD."

If it hurts your feelings to read criticism about your Uncle George, don't read the threads. That simple. No need to come on these threads and act like a all the time.

Reaction Score
No, actually it's not selective reading. Here is part of the OP:

Pioli did insinuate that perhaps the game had passed GDL by. Pioli spoke a lot in the past tense about GDL's coaching prowess and at the end, almost as throw away line, said "He's still working in football at UConn in some capacity."

Not trying to start a GDL bash-a-thon, I just thought it was interesting to hear the perspective of someone who worked with him during his prime.

This is like me saying, "I don't mean to start another thread about Randy Edsall, but boy did he really the bed his first 2 years at UMD."

If it hurts your feelings to read criticism about your Uncle George, don't read the threads. That simple. No need to come on these threads and act like a all the time.

I started the thread to share what Pioli thought of GDL and was wondering other people's thoughts on why the o-line struggled given this perspective. I had hoped that it would not degenerate into one of the 55 page GDL or FHCRE battle fields.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I had hoped that it would not degenerate into one of the 55 page GDL or FHCRE battle fields.

Hey, you know what they say about best-laid plans and all.

Reaction Score
I started the thread to share what Pioli thought of GDL and was wondering other people's thoughts on why the o-line struggled given this perspective. I had hoped that it would not degenerate into one of the 55 page GDL or FHCRE battle fields.

Right you wanted opinions. Surely you realized that some of those opinions wouldn't be complimentary, right? I agree with Pioli. The game has passed him by. He's been an unmitigated disaster at almost every stop the past 15 or so years. The McNabb days at Cuse were a long long time ago.

That what you were looking for?

Reaction Score

Cute.

But you completely glossed over all of the stuff about GDL and the O-line and former students' opinions of him. As I said, selective reading. I can't help you with reading comprehension.

But by all means, continue with your strategy of name-calling and pretending to take the high road. Super effective stuff.

Reaction Score
Right you wanted opinions. Surely you realized that some of those opinions wouldn't be complimentary, right? I agree with Pioli. The game has passed him by. He's been an unmitigated disaster at almost every stop the past 15 or so years. The McNabb days at Cuse were a long long time ago.

That what you were looking for?

No, I was looking for conversation on why that might be the case. Was it the development of spread offenses? Did the pace of the game catch up with him? Is it simply age? Why is a man, so widely revered in football circles, looking like he can't keep up with the game?

Reaction Score
Because we were able to beat Rutgers 2 years ago in a game that meant alot for them and then beat Louisville last year on their home field it shows that the coaching wasn't all incompetent. There were issues with player performance and coaching that led to two 5-7 seasons. Having GDL just concentrate on O-line should strengthen our coaching performance this year. It's up to the players to do what it takes to get better, miss less assignments, commit less penalties, hold their blocks longer. It's up to GDL to get everyone on the same page and motivate players to get better, not turn them off. If this group doesn't improve we are sunk. As someone else said we should know if this is the case by halftime of the Maryland game.

Reaction Score
Our offensive stats in 2011 and 2012 were offensive. All meaningful categories at or well below 90 out of 120 in division 1 rankings.

Keep in mind though, that in our most prolific season to date, a Fiesta Bowl appearance, in 2010.....
total offense as yards per game was ranked 95 of 120
Yards per offensive play was 98 of 120
Our passing offense was ranked 110 of 120 in total yards per game, 112 out of 120 in yards per pass.

THe prevailing piece of wisdom aroudn here, was that we could continue doing that forever and win games, (run the ball well on offense, and play defense and special teams) but you have to recruit people, you have to recruit for a WHOLE team.

Two years though, is plenty of time, MORE than enough time, to install fundamental changes in both approach to the game, and personnel on offense. We needed it, badly, for recruiting.

It's got to click now though.

I think most of us would have thought the stats were much better that year. Interesting.

Reaction Score
I think most of us would have thought the stats were much better that year. Interesting.

35th in the nation rushing (Jordan Todman) and 11th in turnover margin was very helpful.

Reaction Score

This is a bash GDL thread.

He should eating breakfast for dinner at the Wimdmill Diner. Not causing further damage to this program.

Reaction Score
35th in the nation rushing (Jordan Todman) and 11th in turnover margin was very helpful.

Turnover margin in particular. We were probably 2 turnovers each year away from 7-5 each year.

Reaction Score
Cute.

But you completely glossed over all of the stuff about GDL and the O-line and former students' opinions of him. As I said, selective reading. I can't help you with reading comprehension.

But by all means, continue with your strategy of name-calling and pretending to take the high road. Super effective stuff.

Oh please, you sanctimonious plick. You lobbed the first insult.

And pardon me, if I don't give a flying fack if former players wax poetic about how they love the guy. Win games. Design an offense built for this century. While you're at it, throw in an in game adjustment for once. I'll take a huge a who runs a competent offense over a nice guy who has failed miserably at his job for the last decade.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There are a couple of distinct issues here and each carries a considerable amount of weight in what our offensive shortcomings have been under GDL.

For openers, as someone pointed out, his (lack of) effectiveness as an offensive coordinator was not due the level of his knowledge of or ability to teach offensive line blocking. He basically attempted to get the offense to master too many different things tried to do too much with the limited teaching time that a college football program is allowed.

As far as Pioli's comments from working for (with) him at Syracuse. That happened nearly two and a half decades ago. When Pioli was a grad assistant at Cuse, GDL was a proponent for a physical, body on body offensive line blocking philosophy (not too different from what Foley taught under Edsall). At some point in the not too distant past (perhaps a dozen years ago, maybe less) GDL found religion (so to speak) and became a proponent of Alex Gibbs' zone scheme, which (for whatever reasons, i have my theory) he has been unable to teach

Throughout most of the 1970's, Jack Pardee was a highly respected, defensive minded coach (the Bears and Redskins were head coaching stops who were solid defensively but offensively challenged while he was there) who by the late 1980's became so enamored with the run and shoot that a 60-40 win (such as what they did against Texas) was a normal final score. From all appearances, GDL (without the success) has gone through a similar philosophical change in his golden years.

Reaction Score
I did find it a bit odd that this topic was brought up again, since both sides are pretty locked in to their position. I think this Jacobs line sums up the position of the vast majority here.

News: According to The Day of New London, UConn AD Warde Manuel lit into the football team after the end of the season.Views: Good. And I hope he lights into Paul Pasqualoni or George DeLeone if they try to interfere with new offensive coordinator T.J. Weist.

I hope TJ got iron-clad commitments that GDL is not going to be anywhere the chain of custody of play calls - no seat in booth, no headset, no hanging around PP/Day as play calls come in. Maybe even focus on the line and talk to them when they're not on the field. Now that might be helpful

If this setup works -- and all three coaches are in the same position next season - it will be a minor miracle.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
No, I was looking for conversation on why that might be the case. Was it the development of spread offenses? Did the pace of the game catch up with him? Is it simply age? Why is a man, so widely revered in football circles, looking like he can't keep up with the game?

I tried to make a similar thread towards the end of the football year last year, in an attempt to reconcile the fact that he is a respected OLine coach even at the highest level with the fact that the OLine was our worst unit last year. My thread degraded to rock bottom levels after about two posts. I think you may have beaten me by a post or two... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom