Edsall Fired | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Edsall Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Signs all over that piece that Thamel went to Syracuse. First, we would never place SU in the realm of possible higher level jobs with some of those others. Second, I know Rutgers is bad ... but contrasting it with Temple of 2005? Nope. They are better than that. And, you can practically hear him near at the bad loss UCF took from UConn.

Reaction Score
Edsall did not inherit a poor locker room. 25 kids left Maryland that year, thus his 2-10. Injuries magnified it but we were left with no depth. Gossett Team House got rebranded with the kids immediately as Gossett Team Penteniary. There are now reports coming out of kids leaving this year and "why", which were not known to the public. There are reports of recruits now wanting to meet again as they did not want to be here because of Randy. I'm sure its easier to pile on so only time will tell, but I think Randy needs to look in the mirror and while yes, he's trying to make "better men", needs to relaz a bit. Kids need discipline, I get it, but kids are also still just kids and are maturing during those years. It sounds like he sucked the fun out of the locker room.

Reaction Score
Edsall did not inherit a poor locker room. 25 kids left Maryland that year, thus his 2-10. Injuries magnified it but we were left with no depth. Gossett Team House got rebranded with the kids immediately as Gossett Team Penteniary. There are now reports coming out of kids leaving this year and "why", which were not known to the public. There are reports of recruits now wanting to meet again as they did not want to be here because of Randy. I'm sure its easier to pile on so only time will tell, but I think Randy needs to look in the mirror and while yes, he's trying to make "better men", needs to relaz a bit. Kids need discipline, I get it, but kids are also still just kids and are maturing during those years. It sounds like he sucked the fun out of the locker room.
I am hardly an Edsall lover, but how many off field incidents did you have that reflected poorly on your school while he was there? Its tough to keep 105 players out of the local news and police blotter, especially football players. He will never relax. For all his faults, the man runs a FB program that doesn't make you cringe in terms of off field incidents. He takes discipline very seriously, and not all kids are built for his style.

At UConn it didn't matter that he couldn't reel in kids with multiple offers, he simply found a lot of them, that didn't have multiple offers and helped develop some of them into NFL players including two walk ons. I never believed his approach to recruiting would work anywhere else, especially when coupled with his discipline style.

I was also adamant that he would get fired anywhere else based on his results. 7-5, 8-4, coaches don't have staying power many places, because fans want to be in mix for at the minimum conference championships regularly. He did that here with those records in the Big East. Not really possible in the P5 leagues of today.

Reaction Score
Maryland President Wallace Loh: "We're in the Big Leagues Now"

Maryland athletic director Kevin Anderson spoke to reporters already about what he wants in the Terps’ next football -- “an exciting, wide open offense” -- and now president Wallace Loh has given his take on the direction of the program.

“The choice of the next coach is going to be absolutely critical,” Loh said in a meeting with The Baltimore Sun’s editorial board. “The question becomes, what kind of coach do we want? I think [Anderson] said a coach that plays an exciting brand of football -- wide open, that has the personality to relate to the kids, the personality to project himself well (to boosters, media) … You have to have an outsized personality here. It’s not just knowing the X’s and O’s.

“We’re in the big leagues now. It’s about football; the Big Ten is not about basketball,” Loh continued. “We have significant new revenue stemming in and we’re going to have an indoor facility … We can have a decrepit Byrd Stadium -- you only use Byrd Stadium five times a year or so -- [but] those kids use an indoor facility every single day. What draws them here in the indoor facility, not Byrd Stadium. With the Big Ten Network and that exposure, and of course the connection to Under Armour, I would say that this is one of the most attractive jobs in the country for somebody that’s ambitious and willing to take risks.”

Loh said not all the additional money from the Big Ten will go to athletics -- he already made a commitment to use some of it towards academics -- and didn’t comment specifically on a ballpark salary figure for Maryland’s next coach. There’s other things he needs to factor in before splurging on a coach, including possible ramifications from the appeal of the O’Bannon decision, but he also said Anderson now has the tools to make a big hire. In 2011 when Randy Edsall was hired, he said, that wasn’t the case.

“All I can say is Kevin Anderson is committed to getting the right coach to make us highly competitive in the Big Ten,” Loh said. “We will have to pay a competitive rate. I don’t know what competitive is, but Harbaugh and Urban [Meyer] make seven million dollars a year. And Chip Kelly, who is not doing all that well with the Philadelphia Eagles, made far, far less than that at Oregon.”

http://maryland.247sports.com/Board...lace-Loh-Were-in-the-Big-Leagues-Now-40207220

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So if you are Edsall, do you suddenly start appearing in the stands at Rutty games or UCF games?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So if you are Edsall, do you suddenly start appearing in the stands at Rutty games or UCF games?

Seriously, why would they want him? We've seen his top, I would think they would go for the chance of a home run instead of playing it safe. That's how we ended up wiyh P.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Seriously, why would they want him? We've seen his top, I would think they would go for the chance of a home run instead of playing it safe. That's how we ended up wiyh P.
I'm not interested in serious. I'm interested in funny.

Reaction Score
I think Randy's salary for 2016 would be contingent upon him not finding another job, no? Or at least he'd reduce Maryland's obligation to him by taking another job?

Either way, if he decides to go after another job this year, I'd put UCF and Rutgers high on the list of schools for which there could be mutual interest, with Syracuse as a dark horse if they continue their slide after the USF loss.

Here was the new deal he recently signed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ontract-extension-to-coach-maryland-football/

Reaction Score
“We’re in the big leagues now. It’s about football; the Big Ten is not about basketball,” Loh continued.

What an interesting comment by Maryland's President. He diminished his BBall coach and BBall facility need. (Can you ever imagine Susan Herbst making that comment?) He also held out the possibility for a huge payday for the "right football coach". I can hear the Maryland professors gathering as we speak.

Reaction Score
So Randy takes the dream job at Maryland and shortly there after goes from the ACC to the B1G. Talk about going from the frying pan to the fire! He now has to compete in the same division as Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State, that's all. You have to be very careful of what you wish for! That is a tough assignment for any coach. I'd call it a death wish!

Reaction Score
“We’re in the big leagues now. It’s about football; the Big Ten is not about basketball,” Loh continued.

What an interesting comment by Maryland's President. He diminished his BBall coach and BBall facility need. (Can you ever imagine Susan Herbst making that comment?) He also held out the possibility for a huge payday for the "right football coach". I can hear the Maryland professors gathering as we speak.

Loh's quote is hilarious because a wise man once said the same thing and was ridiculed for it:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-terps-not-in-a-basketball-conference-anymore

Reaction Score
I would love an audit of all of the BY members and how they left all of their jobs.
I was fired once, as an architect at the start of a horrible recession, July 1990. They called us into a conference room and told half the staff to go home. A week later my wife lost her job as a personnel recruiter (most companies were down-sizing). That week we found out we were expecting our first child. Good times!!:eek:

Reaction Score
You guys are seriously overeating the guy. He just finished a tenure where he went 10-24, in conference play and you think a P5 school is going to sell that to their fans and excite a fan base? Schiano will get a P5 gig before him.

He got his shot and fell flat on his face. His first two years he was beset by injuries but you could make excuses like that for every coach that fails. I give him props for testing himself and daring to be great. He made 12 mill at UMD. What would he have made at uconn in 6 years? 9 million? Considering UMD canned him, that is a considerable amount more $$$.

I don't think I am that hungry, but i think he is overeated.

Reaction Score
Edsall won't take any job unless the school is willing to spend on resources and facilities. That means RU and likely Cuse are out. He's being paid for the remaining 3 years on his contract. He doesn't need to coach ever again.

I suspect he'll pick his spot, join an NFL team as a consultant, or simply retire

For Randy, leaving was the right move because of what I just wrote. Maryland probably gave up on him a year early but that's their issue.

1-Edsall is in no position to dictate terms to anybody.

2-He is not getting paid for the remaining 3 years of his contract, his extension has a 500k buyout.

3-Listened to Kornheiser's podcast, he took no gratuitous shots. He called out Edsall for being consistently arrogant, yet disingenuous. Among other things, he cited the way Edsall (a) left his players at UConn, and (b) declared Maryland to be his dream job when everyone knew it was Penn State. Those criticisms are spot-on and fair. And don't forget, while pursuing Georgia Tech, he told us he would stay at Connecticut "as long we would have him", we just didn't have a Kornheiser or a Feinstein to call him on it.

Reaction Score
2-He is not getting paid for the remaining 3 years of his contract, his extension has a 500k buyout.

Yup... University of Maryland owes him next year's $2.1 million salary and $500,000 from the buyout clause, plus whatever he's still owed for the remainder of the Terps' 2015 season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One of our former Huskies bumped into Edsall last night in his Maryland neighborhood and emailed me. "Edsall said that if they wanted to fire him that's fine, they just did it the wrong way. He was in good spirits, but many of us would be too with $4M!"

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They did it the wrong way! LMAO! They did what was best for Maryland. He had to go and it made no sense to throw the interim coach in there before playing tOSU. Besides, Randy had experience coaching a big game while knowing he was gone as soon as it was over.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There is no irreplaceable man

Sometime when you’re feeling important,
Sometime when your ego’s in bloom,
Sometime when you take it for granted,
You’re the best qualified man in the room.
Sometime when you think that your passing
Will leave an un-fillable hole,
Just remember this simple example,
And see how it humbles your soul.

Take a bucket and fill it with water,
Put your hand in up to your wrists,
The hole that you make when you leave it,
Is the measure of how much you’ll be missed.
You may thrash all you want when you enter,
You may stir up the waters galore,
But just wait for a moment
And it is still the same as before.

The moral of this is quite simple,
Just do the best that you can.
But please always remember
There is no irreplaceable man

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They did it the wrong way! LMAO! They did what was best for Maryland. He had to go and it made no sense to throw the interim coach in there before playing tOSU. Besides, Randy had experience coaching a big game while knowing he was gone as soon as it was over.

Leaking it and then not talking to him for 8 hours would be what he was referencing. They could have just fired him after the game.

Reaction Score
Ha... looked who weighed in on this topic (Mike Farrell)

>>No sympathy for Edsall:

Many people feel bad for Randy Edsall, who was recently fired by Maryland. I've heard it on Twitter and radio shows. But as I mentioned yesterday, I live in Connecticut and I can tell you people don't feel bad for him up here. Edsall, who was the UConn head coach for over a decade, decided to take the Maryland job following a 48-20 loss in the 2011 Fiesta Bowl.

OK, that's fine -- Maryland is a step up from UConn and it was a lucrative deal, all good and no harm no foul there. But it's the way he did it that ticked everyone off. Edsall, who was allegedly in contract negotiations with Maryland the week leading up to the Fiesta Bowl, flew separately from his team directly to College Park to interview/accept the job back in 2011 and his UConn players found out via the media and text messages from friends and families.

Players said Edsall saw the team in the hotel before flying to Maryland and could have told them then or after the game itself. Edsall asked captain Jordan Todman to tell the players face-to-face as he never returned to Storrs to personally address his former team. So when Edsall was offended when a reporter asked him about shaking hands with his players before the game Saturday as a way of saying goodbye, it was a legit question since he didn't do it at UConn.

When he said he shakes hands with his players before every game "out of the respect for these kids and what they go through," that rings a bit hollow for his former players at UConn. I wouldn't feel so bad for Edsall, who made millions at Maryland while ticking off the media, running players off the team fresh off abandoning his former players without saying goodbye.<<

Reaction Score
Ha... looked who weighed in on this topic (Mike Farrell)

>>No sympathy for Edsall:

Many people feel bad for Randy Edsall, who was recently fired by Maryland. I've heard it on Twitter and radio shows. But as I mentioned yesterday, I live in Connecticut and I can tell you people don't feel bad for him up here. Edsall, who was the UConn head coach for over a decade, decided to take the Maryland job following a 48-20 loss in the 2011 Fiesta Bowl.

OK, that's fine -- Maryland is a step up from UConn and it was a lucrative deal, all good and no harm no foul there. But it's the way he did it that ticked everyone off. Edsall, who was allegedly in contract negotiations with Maryland the week leading up to the Fiesta Bowl, flew separately from his team directly to College Park to interview/accept the job back in 2011 and his UConn players found out via the media and text messages from friends and families.

Players said Edsall saw the team in the hotel before flying to Maryland and could have told them then or after the game itself. Edsall asked captain Jordan Todman to tell the players face-to-face as he never returned to Storrs to personally address his former team. So when Edsall was offended when a reporter asked him about shaking hands with his players before the game Saturday as a way of saying goodbye, it was a legit question since he didn't do it at UConn.

When he said he shakes hands with his players before every game "out of the respect for these kids and what they go through," that rings a bit hollow for his former players at UConn. I wouldn't feel so bad for Edsall, who made millions at Maryland while ticking off the media, running players off the team fresh off abandoning his former players without saying goodbye.<<

Didn't we have a poster who once wrote that he used to love coming to games early so he could see the team warm up, and that he specifically liked seeing Edsall shake every kid's hand as he stretched before every game?

It wouldn't be the first thing Farrell completely screwed up about UConn, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
I give two sheets about the way Edsall left, but the way Maryland did him, I think they call that Karma!

Reaction Score
Didn't we have a poster who once wrote that he used to love coming to games early so he could see the team warm up, and that he specifically liked seeing Edsall shake every kid's hand as he stretched before every game?

It wouldn't be the first thing Farrell completely screwed up about UConn, that's for sure.
Im pretty sure he did it here as well. Farrell will always be a .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom