Edsall Fired | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Edsall Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The right coach will win anywhere. KState pre Bill Snyder, and Wisconsin pre Barry Alvarez were Temple in the bad years bad. The key these days is don't give a huge contract to an improven contract at least not one with a huge buyout. Both Rutgers and Maryland are located in fertile recruiting grounds.

Oregon pre rich brooks was terrible. CFB has always been about hiring the right coach.

Agree with a small adjustment. Not just hiring the right coach. Keeping him.

Reaction Score
Agree with a small adjustment. Not just hiring the right coach. Keeping him.
No doubt. When you hire a guy you,have to leave yourself the wiggle room to raise his salary if he looks like a keeper.

Purdue pre and post Joe Tiller was a bottom dweller. He always had them competitive. What James Franklin did at Vanderbilt is another example. Harbaugh turned around Stanford. You could go on forever. Mike Price at Washington State. There are no doomed jobs out there.

Reaction Score
Oh, BS. Edsall isn't half the man the apologists say he is. You don't get 2M per for running a clean program, you get paid to win. Which he didn't do. He showed he can take a team from nonexistence to good. Good is his ceiling. His going from good to great is a pipedream.
I would say he is not half the coach. I always knew he would struggle at any job outside of uconn. He didn't like being questioned by CT media, took shots at the fans here, told us he we had no right to have expectations.

He may be a great man, but his coaching you could always see had a ceiling. In the B1G, with the coaches they have he had no chance.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Oh, BS. Edsall isn't half the man the apologists say he is. You don't get 2M per for running a clean program, you get paid to win. Which he didn't do. He showed he can take a team from nonexistence to good. Good is his ceiling. His going from good to great is a pipedream.

Not talking about coaching abilities. By and large, it is accepted that Edsall truly cares for his players, and makes sure they are in school for the right reasons. Kornheiser wants to pile on him because he's ornery with the media, and this is Tony Ks chance to really get his digs in. Screw that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Like Tony Kornheiser cares at all about Maryland football. It probably ranks somewhere around his interest in DC United.

Reaction Score
Not talking about coaching abilities. By and large, it is accepted that Edsall truly cares for his players, and makes sure they are in school for the right reasons. Kornheiser wants to pile on him because he's ornery with the media, and this is Tony Ks chance to really get his digs in. Screw that.
You said it, he was ornery with the media. So why is it shocking they're taking their shots?

We saw it happen to Jim Calhoun who is a 1000 times the coach Edsall was.

I say it's fair game. The people you sheet on your way up the ladder, you have to look in the eye on the way back down. Edsall probably went off on one off Kornheisrs buddies.

Reaction Score
I believe RE will land somewhere soon, at the top. IMO, his biggest problem at UM was that he recruited kids he had trouble coaching. He went for the 4/5 star kids, and many of them want/need a level of attention he refuses to give. When they paired Locksley with him, you had to know the wheels were coming off (think Mike ran in to the AD's office and asked to renegotiate that bonus he gets for recruiting rankings?). I can see him getting a gig at an Indiana (assuming their coach moves on) or a Purdue at the P5 level, where he can recruit his kind of kids, play hard nosed football and eke out 6/7 win seasons. One might argue Rutty, who has to feel the pressure to make someone there take the fall, but that would simply be a repeat of UMd. I could see Cuse, who has no meaningful wins to speak of. Short of that he could land a gig at Army or a CUSA/MAC program or take a flier on a gig like New Mexico.

Let's be honest, he runs a clean program. Here, the kids elevated their perceived game under him. He has trouble with kids who put the focus on themselves (who could forget the post-game talk he gave as to Sio after the kid lit up WVU with about 17 tackles). He is not a good fit in a major media market. PP is a lifer, and will take any job, even at 66. I don't see Edsall being that way. I just don't see him jumping in to an asst job after more than a decade of running things his way. He'll get another chance, somewhere.

RFB

Reaction Score
Love to see Edsall take the job @ UCF. It will be open this year.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Tony Kornheiser isn't half the man Randy Edsall is. Some loudmouth on TV that has no idea what it takes to be a coach at that level.
Kornheiser=

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Edsall won't take any job unless the school is willing to spend on resources and facilities. That means RU and likely Cuse are out. He's being paid for the remaining 3 years on his contract. He doesn't need to coach ever again.

I suspect he'll pick his spot, join an NFL team as a consultant, or simply retire

For Randy, leaving was the right move because of what I just wrote. Maryland probably gave up on him a year early but that's their issue.

Reaction Score
You guys are seriously overeating the guy. He just finished a tenure where he went 10-24, in conference play and you think a P5 school is going to sell that to their fans and excite a fan base? Schiano will get a P5 gig before him.

He got his shot and fell flat on his face. His first two years he was beset by injuries but you could make excuses like that for every coach that fails. I give him props for testing himself and daring to be great. He made 12 mill at UMD. What would he have made at uconn in 6 years? 9 million? Considering UMD canned him, that is a considerable amount more $$$.

Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:
From what I have been reading and what I have heard, he did a good job cleaning-up a huge off-the-field mess at Maryland football and while his team is not that good on the field, they look to be relatively clean off of it. After everything that has happened at Rutgers over the last 24 months, they would take a 'clean' program over winning, which they don't do well anyway, any day.

He inherited a disaster of a locker room.

Reaction Score
Waquoit said:
They said the same thing about PPGDL. Edsall got his shot and failed. No tears for the guy.

Huh? I never heard that about UCONN lockerroom.

Reaction Score

What in the world does Edsall being fired from Maryland have to do with one being an apologista? Edsall was fired at Maryland because his boss didn't think he was performing and thinks he can do better with someone else in charge. Good for both of them. What in the world does that have to do with those who think Edsall succeeded here.

Talk about being determined to start a fight.

Reaction Score
Even my wife who doesn't give a hoot about football gets it right about the firing: "He deserves it for the way he left Uconn." To the point.

Reaction Score
Surprised some here assign zero blame to Hathaway for Randy bolting. Funny that the little SOB thought he had the leverage. Good thing was it got the ball rolling on him getting fired

Reaction Score
Even my wife who doesn't give a hoot about football gets it right about the firing: "He deserves it for the way he left Uconn." To the point.

Saw comments by Maryland fans at the bottom of the Washington Post story. They didn't forget how he left UConn.

Reaction Score

Signs all over that piece that Thamel went to Syracuse. First, we would never place SU in the realm of possible higher level jobs with some of those others. Second, I know Rutgers is bad ... but contrasting it with Temple of 2005? Nope. They are better than that. And, you can practically hear him near at the bad loss UCF took from UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom