Edsall Fired | The Boneyard

Edsall Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Feel bad for Lyndon Johnson, who is the one assistant that went with him to Maryland aka WARNING SIGN #1

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
From the ashes he left? Some of you need to get over it, it's been like 5 years and if it weren't for Hathaway and P there wouldn't have been ashes buta spark that we used to reach higher levels.

Agreed. Edsall was a good coach for us and leading us out of the "trailers". He left in less-than-stellar fashion but he also served as a terrific coach/leader/father figure to our guys during a very difficult time after Jaz's murder. Not to mention, he coached our team to win the games it needed to win (when nobody else in the Big East could) to get to the Fiesta.

Our program decline post-Edsall has FAR more to do with Jeff Hathaway making a very lazy, horrendous hire than anything else. If we had a competent AD at the helm, we might have been able to follow Edsall with a "next level" type of guy. Not a fired, old retread who was more interested in employing his buddy than winning football games.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
So much for his dream job!

Reaction Score
From the ashes he left? Some of you need to get over it . . .
Poor choice of word on my part. I agree wholeheartedly that a poor AD hiring was the main cause of our temporary demise. I really should have written something like, "the dumpster fire that happened after he left." Of course, I do get substantial shaedenfreude watching him tank. :)

Reaction Score
Wish Coach Edsall the best. I have nothing but respect for what he did for this program.

I think he found out grass isn't always greener on the other side (except the money definitely was). He could have been at UCONN as long as he wanted to. Now he will go the Coach P route as a position coach in the nfl, in my opinion.

Very interested to see who UMD goes after. They have the $$$ to make a very big hire.

Reaction Score
Maryland stays in ACC, this never happens. For this reason, while a tough day for Edsall, a great day for Maryland. We finally see a glimmer of hope that our admin truly does want to win in football and thus willing to make a bold decision mid year. Edsall did some nice things for Maryland but after reading the board here, it appears he still made some similar mistakes, ie: accountability, etc. Names being thrown around but 2 seem to have heat behind them. Kelly and O'Brien. I'm personally hoping to see O'Brien, who use to be an assistant under Fridge, has family in Maryland, and apparently has a great UA relationship. I'm sure many name will surface over the next few months. Locks will stay on to help bridge the current recruiting class. Funny, the qb Edsall was never able to coach in 5 years is signed to a verbal this year. Haskins joins.

Reactions: TKs
Reaction Score
Can't wait to see how this season plays out. He was absolutely brutal at his last head coaching gig.
Even though temporary, it's still interesting that Anderson is hiring a guy with not only a questionable past record but also a dubious record as well. After all, he brought RE in to clean up the questionable behavior at UM under Friedgen and is replacing his clean cut coach with another guy of questionable character. The following is from 2011...
"New Mexico coach Mike Locksley was fired Sunday, one day after yet another tough loss and another embarrassing off-the-field incident." "In 2009, Locksley was served with a one-game suspension for punching one of his assistant coaches. He also was sued for sexual harassment by a former administrative assistant..."
"Locksley won two games in two-plus seasons, for a career record of 2-26." *

*http://espn.go.com/college-football...mbattled-coach-mike-locksley-fired-new-mexico

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Maryland stays in ACC, this never happens. For this reason, while a tough day for Edsall, a great day for Maryland. We finally see a glimmer of hope that our admin truly does want to win in football and thus willing to make a bold decision mid year. Edsall did some nice things for Maryland but after reading the board here, it appears he still made some similar mistakes, ie: accountability, etc. Names being thrown around but 2 seem to have heat behind them. Kelly and O'Brien. I'm personally hoping to see O'Brien, who use to be an assistant under Fridge, has family in Maryland, and apparently has a great UA relationship. I'm sure many name will surface over the next few months. Locks will stay on to help bridge the current recruiting class. Funny, the qb Edsall was never able to coach in 5 years is signed to a verbal this year. Haskins joins.
If MD remained in the ACC they probably don't extend Edsall. How much is the buyout?

Reaction Score
Edsall did a horrible job at Maryland. He didn't deserve to last as long as he did.

AD had little choice but to give Randy a lot of rope. He replaced a successful, popular coach with "his guy". If the AD doesn't hit a homerun with this hire, he too will be gone.

Reaction Score
Even though temporary, it's still interesting that Anderson is hiring a guy with not only a questionable past record but also a dubious record as well. After all, he brought RE in to clean up the questionable behavior at UM under Friedgen and is replacing his clean cut coach with another guy of questionable character. The following is from 2011...
"New Mexico coach Mike Locksley was fired Sunday, one day after yet another tough loss and another embarrassing off-the-field incident." "In 2009, Locksley was served with a one-game suspension for punching one of his assistant coaches. He also was sued for sexual harassment by a former administrative assistant..."
"Locksley won two games in two-plus seasons, for a career record of 2-26." *

*http://espn.go.com/college-football...mbattled-coach-mike-locksley-fired-new-mexico

Locks has strong ties to he local community. The recruiting class is ranked like 40th, but reality is 5-8 of those kids are top thus we need a bridge. I think you see Locks stay on staff next year in some capacity. He needs Maryland as much as Maryland needs him. Also, the admin has brought in MANY more support staff types thus academics will be well supported.

Reaction Score
If MD remained in the ACC they probably don't extend Edsall. How much is the buyout?

The buyout is $500K. He also gets $2.1 million for 2016 salary. This is on top of the $12 million he's already gotten from Maryland in the last five years. I'm not shedding a single tear for Randy Edsall.

It'll be interesting to see who Maryland targets. It's certainly a different job than it was when Edsall was hired. The $155 million practice facility and B1G membership makes it more attractive imo. A SI article from a couple hours ago mentioned Chip Kelly and Rich Rodriguez as coaches on their target list. Maryland can pay $4 million/year easily. Chip Kelly is a pipedream with Texas and USC potentially opening soon. Plus, he'd cost at least $7 million a year. Being a pet project of Kevin Plank and Under Armour flagship status won't hurt either.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yup, this is why ACC and B12 schools would bolt for the B1G. Maryland can now look for an upper tier type of guy in the $4-$6M/yr range. I don't see Chip Kelly leaving the NFL for Maryland. But I can definitely see movement within the P5 coaching carousel. They can afford to lure coaches from most P5 schools, in addition to any candidate they want from the G5.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saw this on the Syracuse board:

Paul Myerberg ‏@PaulMyerberg · 2h2 hours ago
Randy Edsall will resurface, likely as a name for Syracuse if the Orange want to make a change after this season or next.

Reaction Score
Coach Bobby has 69 W's to go to catch him in the win column. That's a magic number, 69, but I'd like to see it turn to 68 by next Sunday.

Reaction Score
Randy never recovered from the 5 QB year fiasco. I have no feelings either way (I'm an adult who has moved on) but he'll be fine. I think with his disciplined approach, and the right OC, Army might be a good fit.

I would like to see the melt down on the SU board if he landed there. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak