Diaco's First Changes - Verducci moved to non-coaching position/OC Search underway | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Diaco's First Changes - Verducci moved to non-coaching position/OC Search underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I could well be wrong but I see this as Diaco offering up a sacrificial lamb, hoping it will be enough to satisfy Benedict. If it were anything else there wouldn't have been the line about other evaluations in coming weeks. If Benedict was involved he would have discussed all assistants' performances with Diaco and they would have hammered out all dismissals & redeployments and announced them at the same time. I see this as Diaco's way of saving Cummings while also keeping Verducci on the payroll.

My guess is he's trying to make a pre-emptive strike to appease his boss and limit the carnage to his current staff. I'll start believing this will be the only change when I hear Benedict say it. Until then I'll refrain from agonizing over the limited vision of our AD.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Bob just can't help but keep his buddies close. Nothing is on merit. Every assistant coach who was associated with this disaster is staying employed. Every one of them. Its incredible. He basically is saying that everything is the players' fault. Imagine having this year and thinking nobody should lose their job? Imagine having no belief in accountability?

Putting Verducci in charge of recruiting is like making the iceberg captain of the Titanic.

zls44

Reaction Score
Bob Diaco is the human embodiment of

upload_2016-11-28_22-10-38.png

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Bob just can't help but keep his buddies close. Nothing is on merit. Every assistant coach who was associated with this disaster is staying employed. Every one of them. Its incredible.
Is this really true or just as of this moment they are all staying? Is BD being honest in what he's saying and DB has sign d off on it or is he speaking and going to be corrected? I honestly can't imagine how anyone in the AD can look at this disaster and think it's all good. Seriously.....this can't be it. I know we all are saying next year is shot to crap and feel that way but if he brings everyone back next year minus Verducci, then I don't know if I can even stomach to watch a game on TV. It might kill it for me.

I just can't believe that DB can be sitting there and thinking Diaco is fine and his staff will get it worked out, they just need another year. He can't seriously be that dense.....please?

Reaction Score
I don't get why our OL sucks so bad given Verducci's history.

He was recruiting coordinator for Iowa way back when, so at least he has some experience there. But with his experience with coaching offense lines - which is apparently pretty decent on paper at least - how could we be so awful? Is it all just poor recruiting?

No question there were coaching screw-ups aplenty all through the season. But to perform as horrendously as we did requires a combination of poor coaching and too many players lacking in ability, particularly speed in our case.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Think he's having second thoughts about those pre-season 15-0, CFP comments?

Reaction Score
I think we will see multiple coaches gone by the Spring game, including Verducci. Look, UConn in not going to pay Verducci $300k to be recruiting coordinator. I think Diaco is pushing him out in a humane way to allow him to secure another job.

Reaction Score
Every assistant coach who was associated with this disaster is staying employed.

Today.

FWIW - I haven't seen or heard any of the usual media folks that think this is the only move that will be made... just the obvious first one (since Diaco is still here today). Not that the UConn football media is infallible but Fuller/Anthony have been very critical and on point most of the year. IMHO.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
If this is the only move there are no words to describe the disappointment

What I don't understand....what was actually announced today? We already knew FV was out as OC. Corley was temporary. They only thing they announced is that now FV is recruiting coordinator? Saying UConn has to do a search for an OC was pretty much known weeks ago.

This is quite the non-announcement. This can't be the only change...can it?

Reaction Score
I could well be wrong but I see this as Diaco offering up a sacrificial lamb, hoping it will be enough to satisfy Benedict. If it were anything else there wouldn't have been the line about other evaluations in coming weeks. If Benedict was involved he would have discussed all assistants' performances with Diaco and they would have hammered out all dismissals & redeployments and announced them at the same time. I see this as Diaco's way of saving Cummings while also keeping Verducci on the payroll.

My guess is he's trying to make a pre-emptive strike to appease his boss and limit the carnage to his current staff. I'll start believing this will be the only change when I hear Benedict say it. Until then I'll refrain from agonizing over the limited vision of our AD.

Was wondering the same thing. AD should have been included in this announcement or at least commented on it. WTH is going on here?
We're so toast next year.

Reaction Score

This - where did this Verducci info come from? Bob's logic could be to start "working" and trying to make changes fast to make DB show his hand. If I start reconfiguring the staff before Jan 1 he has to keep or fire me.

Reaction Score
If this is the only move there are no words to describe the disappointment
One move, 3 moves, there is only one move that really matters and that one isn't happening. So my expectations are an an all time low.

Bobacolypse Fiasco has 13 months to save his job. Wake me up in 2018.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
F everything. We need wholesale, not incremental change. This will never get fixed.

I'll respond to yours because you're one of the only ones who isn't entirely unhinged and breathing fire. But I read those quotes from Anthony basically saying the offense is being forced away from Diaco, more changes are coming, and the new OC will have decision-making authority on the design and the assistants. It doesn't make sense to just fire everyone right now (even if they deserve it, or if they will ultimately be fired). It seems like they're going to let the OC make that call, not Diaco, and behind the scenes the OC will be running the show on everything O. That's the most logical move given the buyout handcuffs, and they can't come out and publicly say all that because it thoroughly undermines whatever minimal credibility Diaco has left, most importantly within the team. At least that's what I'm really wanting to see out of that. If this is the situation we have, let Diaco rally the troops as a figurehead type, put his focus on the defense where it's also needed, and let the new OC have the reins unfettered. I want to believe this can work, it's really the only option we have right now.

"UConn's new offensive coordinator is expected to be given power to align the offensive coaches in a certain way and bring in other coaches from the outside. If that happens, of course, there would be more departures at UConn."

zls44

Reaction Score
I got the impression from the articles that all of the coaches would remain on staff in some capacity. That's why I said what I did.

Of course, I am praying to be wrong.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'll respond to yours because you're one of the only ones who isn't entirely unhinged and breathing fire. But I read those quotes from Anthony basically saying the offense is being forced away from Diaco, more changes are coming, and the new OC will have decision-making authority on the design and the assistants. It doesn't make sense to just fire everyone right now (even if they deserve it, or if they will ultimately be fired). It seems like they're going to let the OC make that call, not Diaco, and behind the scenes the OC will be running the show on everything O. That's the most logical move given the buyout handcuffs, and they can't come out and publicly say all that because it thoroughly undermines whatever minimal credibility Diaco has left, most importantly within the team. At least that's what I'm really wanting to see out of that. If this is the situation we have, let Diaco rally the troops as a figurehead type, put his focus on the defense where it's also needed, and let the new OC have the reins unfettered. I want to believe this can work, it's really the only option we have right now.

"UConn's new offensive coordinator is expected to be given power to align the offensive coaches in a certain way and bring in other coaches from the outside. If that happens, of course, there would be more departures at UConn."
Right now I don't think anyone has been fired, just reassigned. Which is just mind boggling considering how putrid our offense is. I think it comes down to 2 things - Diaco is insane enough to think that major changes aren't needed, and he doesn't have the sack to fire his cronies for gross negligence. Sure I hope they can find a competent OC but nothing seems to indicate that much is going to change here. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
Perhaps Benedict is being incredibly brilliant right now -
No immediate action takes place
Tells Diaco to go ahead and interview coaches and give him a list in the next few weeks of guys Diaco likes
First week of January Benedict calls Diaco and tells him he's canned. Benedict then promptly removes any of the new coaches Diaco wants from any future coaching list.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Right now I don't think anyone has been fired, just reassigned. Which is just mind boggling considering how putrid our offense is. I think it comes down to 2 things - Diaco is insane enough to think that major changes aren't needed, and he doesn't have the sack to fire his cronies for gross negligence. Sure I hope they can find a competent OC but nothing seems to indicate that much is going to change here. I sure hope I'm wrong.

I'm saying I'm reading this that if Diaco had the authority, he would move around a couple guys, maybe fire a couple, and try to make that work. And you're probably right, he probably would do just that. The fact that nothing else has happened yet makes me believe Benedict is not allowing him the opportunity to do that right now. To me, it sounds like the new OC is getting that authority, which if true, is a very welcome and encouraging sign to me. If we make the right damn hire now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom