Diaco's First Changes - Verducci moved to non-coaching position/OC Search underway | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Diaco's First Changes - Verducci moved to non-coaching position/OC Search underway

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I find it difficult to believe that a man approaching retirement age who acts as a fan boy to a wannabe social director/M C/ cheerleader is capable of seeing the big picture.

Approaching retirement age? Not me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Diaco could use another consigliere like Don Patterson. An older more experienced hand that can say, "Bob, what the are you thinking?"

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Diaco could use another consigliere like Don Patterson. An older more experienced hand that can say, "Bob, what the are you thinking?"
Much more likely we get Fredo. "I'm smart! Not like everyone says!" (Wait, that's Diaco's line.) "Fredo, you're my offensive coordinator and I love you. But don't ever share your opinions on offensive football again. EVER."

Reaction Score
That UConn, with a $72M AD budget, thought it was an acceptable practice to pay a friggin' offensive coordinator $130,000 and expect good results. Good grief.
I'm not sure that is the correct number - only the number showing in the Sunlight database that M.A. referenced for 2015. USAT Coach Database has him @ $292k, The Sunlight report has Poindexter and Cummings north of $300k. Think there was some flip/flopping w/ changes.

So the $130k salary for UConn OC doesn't become BY "fact":

Mike Anthony@ManthonyCourant
4 hours ago

@DooleyMcStitch That was 2015 and prorated, misleading in our story. His 2016 salary is $298,793

Still should be bumped up for proven right candidate. BTW, job is not posted yet so they are still looking for the person to write the job description qualifications for ;)

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Today.

FWIW - I haven't seen or heard any of the usual media folks that think this is the only move that will be made... just the obvious first one (since Diaco is still here today). Not that the UConn football media is infallible but Fuller/Anthony have been very critical and on point most of the year. IMHO.

So we are going to have about 12 recruiting coordinators? BD doesn't have the fortitude to hold anyone but the players accountable.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
So the $130k salary for UConn OC doesn't become BY "fact":

Mike Anthony@ManthonyCourant
4 hours ago

@DooleyMcStitch That was 2015 and prorated, misleading in our story. His 2016 salary is $298,793

Still should be bumped up for proven right candidate. BTW, Job is not posted yet so they are still looking for the person to write the job description qualifications for ;)

Good call. Yes, both Mike Anthony and John Silver confirmed that Verducci's salary was around $300K. Forgot to post it here. Thanks Medic!

Reaction Score
So we are going to have about 12 recruiting coordinators? BD doesn't have the fortitude to hold anyone but the players accountable.
You know he won't hold his BFF's like Mike Cummings accountable. He just tossed Verducci under the bus alone...figured he would have at least had Cummings and maybe Lineburg as company.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What OC with any vision of his future is going to take a position under a head coach that with high probability won't be here more than a year?

I don't see the point in finding a new OC if Diaco is staying. Just leave everyone in place, bite the bullet on a catastrophic season, and fire everyone 1/2/18.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don't see the point in finding a new OC if Diaco is staying. Just leave everyone in place, bite the bullet on a catastrophic season, and fire everyone 1/2/18.
Agreed. Nothing will change the "culture" Diaco built which is centered around winning breakfast other than Diaco leaving.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Agreed. Nothing will change the "culture" Diaco built which is centered around winning breakfast other than Diaco leaving.

Completely agree. Diaco is just going to bring his guys that fit his conservative/stupid style. Different names, same style and probably same results.

That GD buyout is likely the final blow to killing our football program and entire athletic department.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
As stated several times, Benedict has gone missing in action. The minute things started getting obviously difficult, he ran for cover. I see no signs of strong leadership or vision. A lot of empty suits and pants suits up in Storrs collecting state checks but never putting their conviction on the line.
A lot of you guys think the Ad's job is to put out press releases. It's not.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Completely agree. Diaco is just going to bring his guys that fit his conservative/stupid style. Different names, same style and probably same results.

That GD buyout is likely the final blow to killing our football program and entire athletic department.
I don't like this but there's a good chance you are right.

C

Chief00

I agree, that's all I really think it is right now.

If you start with the presumption that outside of murdering or Sanduskying someone, Diaco was coming back next year no matter what, which has been the case since Day 1 of this season due to the buyout, then the next best option is probably this. Take the keys away from Diaco for anything having to do with the offense, hire an OC to basically be HC: Offense (and maybe ST), let Diaco be Head Coach: Def and be the rah rah guy in the locker room, and pray he gets his groove back there while the OC runs the other show. Do it all under the premise that Diaco is the head coach and making all the decisions so he can save some face, while Benedict is pulling the strings and the OC is given that control.

Who knows, maybe that can work and everyone benefits from that setup. We're probably drawing 2 cards to an inside straight draw at this point, but that's the hand we're stuck with and have to play. Just hire the right guy now. On the surface, it seems Quinn may fit that role nicely.

Quite frankly, the problem with this narrative is what happened the second half of the season. Diaco lied to the team and no longer has any credibility left; hence the total collapse you saw in recent games. The guy has no juice left with the players.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, the problem with this narrative is what happened the second half of the season. Diaco lied to the team and no longer has any credibility left; hence the total collapse you saw in recent games. The guy has no juice left with the players.

When you've lost your players, it's over. They'll go through the motions next season maybe for a while, two or three games, but eventually there will be a meltdown similar to the second half of this season, and perhaps even worse if that's possible.

Unfortunately, you can't replace your players in college like you can in the NFL.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score

Oh yeah? Did Andre tell you that? Or was it Bunkey?

Reaction Score
When you've lost your players, it's over. They'll go through the motions next season maybe for a while, two or three games, but eventually there will be a meltdown similar to the second half of this season, and perhaps even worse if that's possible.

Unfortunately, you can't replace your players in college like you can in the NFL.

If we can get 2 out of the first 3, that could give us some momentum. Do I think it's likely? Not at this point. Maybe game 3 is against the 2nd worst team in the AAC, then we might have a chance. For me that's the first goal, take 2 of the first 3 games. If we are looking st 0-1 wins after 3 games, then Benedict has to clean house on 1/1/18. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a new OC can get us to 5-6 wins next year.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
A lot of you guys think the Ad's job is to put out press releases. It's not.

A big part of the AD's role is to be the face and voice of UConn athletics. If the fanbase is unhappy, it is not unusual for an AD to step up and publicly address the concerns. The fact that we haven't heard from the AD says that..

- he doesn't believe there is an issue
- he knows there is an issue but isn't ready to address it publicly
- he has decided to stick with Diaco because he deserves more time...and therefore doesn't need to announce it
- he has decided to stick with Diaco because he was told the school can't afford to fire him...and therefore he doesn't want to talk about it
- he is on vacation with WM eating donuts (I put that in there for the Warde haters ;))

While his job isn't to put out press releases, history tells us that silence from the AD is an indicator of something....we just don't know what.

C

Chief00

Oh yeah? Did Andre tell you that? Or was it Bunkey?

Oh yeah - Confirmed

People who have been around here for awhile know when Chief Confirms something it's in stone. If certain posters would get out and talk to people - built relationships rather than just sit in the basement and post - you too would know this as fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Oh yeah - Confirmed

People who have been around here for awhile know when Chief Confirms something it's in stone. If certain posters would get out and talk to people - built relationships rather than just sit in the basement and post - you too would know this as fact.
Well there are some of us on here that actually do that as well. And I'm gonna believe a guy like @Nostical over you when it comes to knowing what's going on within the football team before anything that you say. Do us a favor and stay on the hoop board..your Bull**it has worn pretty thin over here. But before you go just 1 last question...do you even have season tickets to football?

Reaction Score
@Chief00 better yet because you are so tuned in to UConn Athletics why don't you go and ask Calhoun what the real deal is with Benedict wanting to keep Diaco. Then come back here and let us know.

Reaction Score
That's because he has an irrational, pathological fear of turnovers. He sees turnovers in his sleep, and they're not the warm, flaky kind. That's why he won't allow punt returns or passes beyond 10 years from the LOS. Nothing will change next season, except that we will win fewer games than we did this season.

This is due to bend-but-not-break defensive philosophy. With this philosophy you're already committing to a lot of time defending for that unit. Creating short-rest/short-field/extra possessions for the opposition results in enough fatigue to collapse the system.

This is throughout the program from run-heavy offensive game-plans, to no returned punts. Everything is being done to support the defense, his defense, which contrary to his assessment regressed significantly last season, and frankly looked better than it truly was last year thanks to a turnover margin, not typically associated with such a conservative defense.

There need to be changes on both sides of the ball and it was interesting to hear even Joe D. calling out that he thinks multiple assistants, from both sides of the ball need to get the axe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom