DeLeone to Giants | Page 3 | The Boneyard

DeLeone to Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You're on! If GDL liked Griffin so much, why didn't he call his number more often?
Because he liked to clog up the middle with an undersized RB and wallpaper his office with designed runs for a back up QB more than calling #94.

Reaction Score
Dez says the GDL is close to being vested in NFL retirement plan. Reason for leaving, soft landing indeed.

Reaction Score
As a die-hard UConn/Giants fan, this possible news makes me feel... conflicted.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
realistically, the message from the admin clearly is: if we get inviterd to a real conference, PP days are numbered. If we don't get an invite, we are not going to be investing anything into the football program. The right move is to bail if you are an assistant coach.

Reaction Score
This is the scary part (short term) of all of this guys...

Although this is good news, it is bitter sweet good news

My biggest worry is that we get rid of GDL this year when everything that could go wrong has gone wrong for this program and that motivated young coach that everyone wants to come here doesn't because they see UConn as a black hole

Then we settle for the D-list guys who continue the spiral downward, as painful as it would be, it might have been better to keep GDL one more year, hope for at least a bowl game and have a more enticing environment for that young coach

Then again....I guess beggars can't be choosers

Husky25

Reaction Score
Although this is good news, it is bitter sweet good news

My biggest worry is that we get rid of GDL this year when everything that could go wrong has gone wrong for this program and that motivated young coach that everyone wants to come here doesn't because they see UConn as a black hole

Then we settle for the D-list guys who continue the spiral downward, as painful as it would be, it might have been better to keep GDL one more year, hope for at least a bowl game and have a more enticing environment for that young coach

Then again....I guess beggars can't be choosers

At worst, UConn becomes a stepping stone for a young talented head coach. They will eventually get the invite to the ACC or Big 10 (less likely, but I can hope).

Coach DeLeone was in over his head in the 2012 (and beyond) NCAA football landscape. Let him get lost in the NFL, collect his pension, and move on. There is nary a bad peice of news in this story...other than Coach Pasqauloni isn't going with him.

Reaction Score
Lyle McCombs would not have lasted another year the way he was being (ab)used.

Reaction Score
What's really sad is that it seems like this move has nothing to do with talent and only that he is eligible for the NFL pension with a little more time vested.

I guess UConn wasn't the retirement plan I originally thought it was for these fossils.

I think you are wrong...

GDL is well suited for NFL position coach responsibilities. He tried to implement a complicated zone-blocking scheme that the current players couldn't grasp. He will go back to the NFL working for an old friend who just lost his Assistant O-line coach to the Temple HC position (Kevin Gilbride who is from North Haven replaced George DeLeone as head coach @ Southern CT - and George actually coached Kevin @ SCSU).

This is how the coaching fraternity works (just like real business).

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think you are wrong...

GDL is well suited for NFL position coach responsibilities. He tried to implement a complicated zone-blocking scheme that the current players couldn't grasp. He will go back to the NFL working for an old friend who just lost his Assistant )-line coach to the Temple HC position (Kevin Gilbride who is from North Haven replaced George DeLeone as head coach @ Southern CT - and George actually coached Kevin @ SCSU).

Putting your players in the best possible postion to suceed IS a talent and one that Coach DeLeone does not possess. Desmond Conner wrote: "I’m also hearing the reason is because DeLeone is close to being vested in retirement at the next level and that, more than anything, is at the center of the move,"

Like him or hate him, Mr. Conner is not one to float baseless rumors out there or tell his readers what they want to hear just because...which is why many here do hate him.

Reaction Score
Lyle McCombs would not have lasted another year the way he was being (ab)used.
...and Whitmer would not have lasted one more game.

Thank the lord DeLeone is gone. Now we only have to wait one more year until UConn gets rid of its carcass of a head coach.

Reaction Score
So our commits are thinking what? A lot of coaches lost and PP appears to be on shaky ground.
Looks like PP will get 3 more years due to the new coaches needing time to get their own players. :cool:

This is the scary part (short term) of all of this guys...

pj

Reaction Score
Desmond Conner wrote: "I’m also hearing the reason is because DeLeone is close to being vested in retirement at the next level and that, more than anything, is at the center of the move,"

Like him or hate him, Mr. Conner is not one to float baseless rumors out there or tell his readers what they want to hear just because...which is why many here do hate him.

Yes, he's the one to help the UConn coaches get their message out to the public. In this case, that GDL is leaving voluntarily for a reason that has nothing to do with his performance.

Well handled by Warde if this is how it plays out.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Good bye Coach Luther!!! Coach Blue is next.
I sure do hope Archie bought his son a flack-jacket for Christmas should Luther be named an O line coach.

Reaction Score
As a Giants fan, this is fine. Given his track record, I have no reason to think GDL would be "poison" as a position coach for the Giants. Gilbride has to know him well enough that if this was an issue he wouldn't have an offer.

For a UConn fan, it's like Christmas. Although even if we hit a home run with the hire the losses on the other side of the ball may make it a year late to really save PP.

Reaction Score
Yes, he's the one to help the UConn coaches get their message out to the public. In this case, that GDL is leaving voluntarily for a reason that has nothing to do with his performance.

Well handled by Warde if this is how it plays out.
Yes, kudos to WM if this is the way out of the darkness. Who could see this coming!! All of this name calling over the Holidays for what. A real Happy New Year, now back on course thinking about the spring game and getting my tickets in the mail. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

Reaction Score
I think you are wrong...

GDL is well suited for NFL position coach responsibilities. He tried to implement a complicated zone-blocking scheme that the current players couldn't grasp. He will go back to the NFL working for an old friend who just lost his Assistant O-line coach to the Temple HC position (Kevin Gilbride who is from North Haven replaced George DeLeone as head coach @ Southern CT - and George actually coached Kevin @ SCSU).

Totally agree on the old-boy-network aspect of this. God bless Kevin Gilbride and Tom Coughlin if this actually comes true. Although another year like last season it might be their last year at MetLife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom