Dan Orlovsky: “David Benedict Is A Schmuck” | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Dan Orlovsky: “David Benedict Is A Schmuck”

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So in other words, he said what he said, but didn't intend for it to go public.

If that's the case, then why say it...especially to a reporter?

There are already three different versions of the ‘apology’.

Great success.

Reaction Score
There are already three different versions of the ‘apology’.

Great success.
Shorter Dan O:
"UConn is a dumpster fire"

::: pours gasoline on flames :::

Reaction Score
There isn’t any one specific thing.

It’s the ongoing tirefires. The dead silence. The collapsing attendance.

Candidly the annoucement that they lowered ticket prices yesterday annoyed the crap out of me - they did no such thing. Either they are stupid or they think we are.

Based on what they did, Edsall may have put him in a tough spot by going public with the lower price plea.

Based on DO’s comments wouldn’t be surprised if it is a rift with Edsall and wouldn’t be surprised if Corey and their inability to make that go away is a big part of it.

I’m tired of supporting an athletic department that comes off as a mickey mouse organization at every turn.

You mean rift between DO and Edsall or rift between Edsall and DB?

Reaction Score
If not for the money ....

Duh. I have to laugh. The money is one of the first crucial factors. As I’ve stated before, the “alumni” discount SAYS that Ollie has a conscience. If this Program continues a descent and there exists NBA career path (there is), Ollie won’t be just about his self-interest.

Reaction Score
Very disappointing response from DanO. Sure, make some constructive suggestions, but just don't randomly piss on the school AD who inherited a huge mess. But, I don't like how AD Dave has gone radio silent either. I feel like we are rudderless.

Reaction Score
I guess Orlovsky basically responded by just saying that he wasn't aware he was being interviewed, I don't think he denied his comments on the AD. What an awkward situation, jeez. Kinda feel for him--if that's how he feels, so be it. Sucks for it to end up printed. With that being said, I don't know that his assessment of AD David Benedict is accurate or objective. DO's relationship with RE seems strong, so it is a bit strange. Hopefully this isn't reflective of a fracture between RE and AD David Benedict.

Reaction Score
This place is so entertaining.

Crazy as hell, but entertaining.

What’s really crazy about this place is the number of people that dismiss a logical assumption as insane, only to find out most of them are true. You don’t call the athletic director a schmuck unless you want to cause trouble. Embrace the tire fire.

Reaction Score
Benedict and Edsall.

I could certainly imagine that. Especially if Edsall came back here with an idea of a glorious return and DB saw him as a place holder and they had different ideas about the power RE would wield. DB wanted strong coordinators that he chose, Edsall wanted to run the show, and they spar. That would be the only reason that would create those kind of circumstances that makes much sense. Who knows.

Reaction Score
The author went to UConn and is a former UConn Daily Campus “writer”...
From the CDC all of the way to the Metro; the world's largest newspaper with 17.6 million daily readers. Written on a reading level even lower than USA Today, surely the free subway-throwaway Metro's article must be credible. Undoubtedly, the Pulitzer Prize committee's on high alert! ;)

Reaction Score
What’s really crazy about this place is the number of people that dismiss a logical assumption as insane, only to find out most of them are true. You don’t call the athletic director a schmuck unless you want to cause trouble. Embrace the tire fire.
Ummm, none of that has been proven true, but feel free to continue pretending that internet rumors are gospel if it pleases you.

Reaction Score
Let's go all in on random, unsubstanted rumors of schisms within the athletic department. Wasn't the AD identified as Corey's supervisor in order to get around the nepotism laws? Maybe DB gave him a "needs improvement" or "adequate" rating just to piss off Randy. That makes just as much sense as a rift between a coach that is probably on his last major head coaching assignment and the AD that went out on a limb to hire him as his first major move after finally getting the corner office (and now has other programs arguably in even worse shape). Those guys need each other.

Reaction Score
Well, it's consistently been reported Corey Edsall's supervisor is the athletic department COO, Beth Goetz.
Details, details. I was being sarcastic and it was supposed to be obvious to all that it was a made up rumor, just as with all the other unsubstantiated BS in this thread. My underlying point was that DB and RE need each other so rumors of a rift make no sense from the perspective of either party.

Reaction Score
Details, details. I was being sarcastic and it was supposed to be obvious to all that it was a made up rumor, just as with all the other unsubstantiated BS in this thread. My underlying point was that DB and RE need each other so rumors of a rift make no sense from the perspective of either party.
Last sentence, fair comment. Yup, rumors, rumors, rumors and appearances of more than a few other boneyarders' gullibility, naivety, etc. (to be clear, not including you in the latter category).

Reaction Score
I don't think that's the only (or even a reasonable) explanation. DO is a mouthpiece for Randy. If he's saying this, you can bet that there is conflict between Edsall and Benedict.

Foot%20in%20mouth%20disease%20111812.jpg

Reaction Score

Updated story w/ quote from Metro writer:

>>The Metro reporter, Matthew Burke, is a UConn alum who said he spoke with Orlovsky while the former quarterback was preparing for a radio interview on Radio Row, the area set up at the Mall of America during Super Bowl week where radio hosts from across the country host their shows.

“I explained to him where I was working now (I'm a UConn grad so I used to interview him back in the day), asked him if he was done playing football and all that, and then we started talking about the state of UConn athletics,” Burke said in an email. “Let's just say I didn't have to pry. He was very open with his thoughts. I'm sure he regrets using the word "schmuck," but that's what he said.”<<

Reaction Score
Both field hockey and women's basketball have superb coaches.
Let's be really clear. Edsall is a pretty decent FB coach, maybe even above average. But he is not in the Calhoon/Auriemma/Stevens class. Not even close. And they had to fight headwinds just as strong as FB and MBB are fighting now.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Updated story w/ quote from Metro writer:

>>The Metro reporter, Matthew Burke, is a UConn alum who said he spoke with Orlovsky while the former quarterback was preparing for a radio interview on Radio Row, the area set up at the Mall of America during Super Bowl week where radio hosts from across the country host their shows.

“I explained to him where I was working now (I'm a UConn grad so I used to interview him back in the day), asked him if he was done playing football and all that, and then we started talking about the state of UConn athletics,” Burke said in an email. “Let's just say I didn't have to pry. He was very open with his thoughts. I'm sure he regrets using the word "schmuck," but that's what he said.”<<
UConn alum? Must be a closet Syracuse guy.... Burke, looking to make a name for himself, found his willing victim.

Note to the world, don't talk to that guy.

Reaction Score
Imagine that...

Jacobs: Orlovsky says conversation with reporter not on record, denies calling UConn AD “schmuck”

>>Orlovsky said he spoke Friday to the UConn AD.

“I said, Mr. Benedict, listen, I don’t think any of the athletic alumni are super stoked with where it is right now,” Orlovsky said. “We’re also really hopeful about the future. And we’re also really hopeful it’s under Benedict.

“I want to see everyone in all areas do well at the school. Everyone knows I’m just not like that, where I personally attack someone. Even when I was outspoken about where the team was at with Bob Diaco, I wasn’t personally attacking him.”

So you didn’t call Benedict a schmuck?

“I don’t even know the last time I used the word,” Orlovsky said. “I don’t know Benedict. I’ve had only one or two conversations with him in my life. I can’t sit there and judge him.”<<

Reaction Score
something went sour after the lashlee and grimes departure

The program is under tremendous pressure. Attendance is down, spirits are down.
Coaches have been traveling, desperately trying to fill holes. It's just not all peaches and Cream. If everyone was happy and content we should be more worried. Competitors want to win and sometimes say things under pressure. Dan will apologies to DB and he will forgive him for his words. Chalk it up to frustration from losing. Not a big deal.

Reaction Score
Very disappointing response from DanO. Sure, make some constructive suggestions, but just don't randomly piss on the school AD who inherited a huge mess. But, I don't like how AD Dave has gone radio silent either. I feel like we are rudderless.
Dan O has been around the big leagues long enough to know that nothing you say to a reporter is ever safely off the record. That was dumb and dumber on his part.
Having said that,Having been part of the Detroit Lions organization for a number of years, he should know a dumpster fire when he sees it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom