Dan Orlovsky: “David Benedict Is A Schmuck” | The Boneyard

Dan Orlovsky: “David Benedict Is A Schmuck”

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Jim Penders as new UConn AD? Dan Orlovsky rips Connecticut athletics

“Current UConn athletic director David Benedict hasn't been on the job two full years yet but Orlovsky believes that the athletic department has been treading water ever since he took the job.

"The AD is kind of a schmuck," Orlovsky told Metro. "The whole program is headed in the wrong direction. Rumor has it that they're looking at bringing in [baseball coach] Jim Penders in as AD. That's the rumor, but we’ll see. They have to do something soon.”

Reaction Score
So, Dan is blaming Dave Benedict for the state of the athletic department when Dave found a way to bring Randy back and was handed KO, who Herbst reportedly is a huge fan of? Fundraising is better, progress on facilities is better etc.

Something more happened since 12/19, my guess is Dan soured on DB because Dan did in fact want to be OC and DB said no.

Dan wouldn’t say that unless he got some info from Randy or something else happened. Not good.

Reaction Score
That article is ridiculous, IMO, bad idea by Dan to give that interview and those quotes.

1) the FB team wasn't at its best when Dan O was there. He deserves a ton of credit for helping to get the ball rolling, but it was at its best when it won two conference championships and went to a BCS bowl. That wasn't Dan. He's a legend, but the program got even better after he left (again, thanks in part to what he accomplished).
2) the men's team hasn't been reeling for a decade. in fact, it has won 2 national championships in the past 7 years. It's been reeling for 3 years and not just because of the AAC, but because Ollie has been regressing on the job, rather than improving. They mention the 2 national championships won prior to 2011, but not the 2 in the past 7 years? Hit piece. And a hit piece in a place we need to compete for recruits for both programs. Not a good idea to give those quotes, even if he's being honest.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So, Dan is blaming Dave Benedict for the state of the athletic department when Dave found a way to bring Randy back and was handed KO, who Herbst reportedly is a huge fan of? Fundraising is better, progress on facilities is better etc.

Something more happened since 12/19, my guess is Dan soured on DB because Dan did in fact want to be OC and DB said no.

Dan wouldn’t say that unless he got some info from Randy or something else happened. Not good.

Sounds like Dan O wanted a spot on the staff and Dave decided he wanted to fill the staff with football coaches

Or maybe he’s 100% right and each passing day makes Benedict look more inept.

Like the last Rockstar SusieLax gave us.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Penders family is legendary in state of CT and have a deep rolodex.

Unfortunately for UConn it needs a president and AD with strong ties to P5 conferences to open up new relationships.

Hiring a baseball coach as AD would be interesting. Penders has some cred since UConn baseball has had a few national appearances to establish relationships.

Sounds like a coup internal of UConn athletics with UConn alumni and insiders going for the power play.

Reaction Score
That article is ridiculous, IMO, bad idea by Dan to give that interview and those quotes.

1) the FB team wasn't at its best when Dan O was there. He deserves a ton of credit for helping to get the ball rolling, but it was at its best when it won two conference championships and went to a BCS bowl. That wasn't Dan. He's a legend, but the program got even better after he left (again, thanks in part to what he accomplished).
2) the men's team hasn't been reeling for a decade. in fact, it has won 2 national championships in the past 7 years. It's been reeling for 3 years and not just because of the AAC, but because Ollie has been regressing on the job, rather than improving. They mention the 2 national championships won prior to 2011, but not the 2 in the past 7 years? Hit piece. And a hit piece in a place we need to compete for recruits for both programs. Not a good idea to give those quotes, even if he's being honest.

To be fair, the 2003 team went 9-3 and got screwed out of a bowl or we could have had a 10 win season. And we lost Terry Caulley early on or it might have been better. The 2004 team wasn't quite as talented as the previous year but it went to our first bowl where we smacked the MAC. Danny was a very, very good college QB.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Penders family is legendary in state of CT and have a deep rolodex.

Unfortunately for UConn it needs a president and AD with strong ties to P5 conferences to open up new relationships.

Hiring a baseball coach as AD would be interesting. Penders has some cred since UConn baseball has had a few national appearances to establish relationships.

Sounds like a coup internal of UConn athletics with UConn alumni and insiders going for the power play.

He means Tom Penders not Jim Penders.

Other than that - thumbs up.

Reaction Score
Look, much of the program is suffering. Men's basketball, football etc. are in awful shape compared to the past. But women's basketball and field hockey are fantastic. Just what would a new athletic director do to improve the program. Specifics are needed here. Is there a way to make men's basketball a top four program and football a top 20 program in the next three to five years? If someone knows how let them speak!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Look, much of the program is suffering. Men's basketball, football etc. are in awful shape compared to the past. But women's basketball and field hockey are fantastic. Just what would a new athletic director do to improve the program. Specifics are needed here. Is there a way to make men's basketball a top four program and football a top 20 program in the next three to five years? If someone knows how let them speak!

What do the field hockey and women’s basketball programs have in common?

Reaction Score
Both field hockey and women's basketball have superb coaches. I still have confidence in Randy as football coach, and Kevin was in the past a great coach. But if they leave how do we get the next Calhoun or Vince Lombardi.

Reaction Score
The article is fine. He is pissed, like most UConn fans, that football and men's basketball are in a rut. Based on Orlovsky's comments, it does seem like Benedict has rubbed some people in the athletic department the wrong way, but who didn't think we needed to clean house in the athletic department? That said, I would bet that Orlovsky is not feeling good about his comments this morning.

Benedict was handed Diaco and Ollie and the AAC. He surprisingly fixed the Diaco problem and he will be judged on how he handles the Ollie situation and conference realignment.

Reaction Score
Sure sounds like Dan O is miffed he didn't get a coaching job but I don't think the AD department is in that bad of shape. The men's basketball team is loaded with transfers, underclassmen and walking wounded. No continuity is making Ollie's job incredibly difficult. Add this NCAA nonsense and K O is in a tough place. As long as he can continue to compete for prized recruits the future will always be promising. The football team's problem is simple. They need to bring in better talent to win a lot but... they won't be able to attract better talent til they win a lot. Hope Edsall can score big with a couple surprises next Wednesday.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Sounds like Dan O wanted a spot on the staff and Dave decided he wanted to fill the staff with football coaches

Now I'm wondering how deep the conspiracy runs... this coming right after the special teams req closes to replace Chris White... Chris White, who was hired away by the Detroit Lions of the NFL... the one place where Dan O and/or Randy may actually have the sway to influence this... MAYBE!?

I can't wait until spring practice replaces boneyard conspiracies.

Reaction Score
Right or wrong his judgement and timing are terrible. Benedict inherited a Coaching issue on 2 fronts as well as a perception issue. And nobody is entitled to be shoehorned into a position where they have a thin or nonexistent track record. I really doubt he has a clue as to what the AD has been trying to navigate to stabilize Football and Basketball and keep facilities updated and deal with that cockroach Emmert. Just not helpful

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Both field hockey and women's basketball have superb coaches. I still have confidence in Randy as football coach, and Kevin was in the past a great coach. But if they leave how do we get the next Calhoun or Vince Lombardi.

That predate SusieLax. Everything that is good or even decent predates her.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Tom Penders, in his 70s, documented cardiac problems, vagabond hoops coach, THAT Tom Penders? His time is way passed. Oh, my gracious.

She just gave him Big Dave a raise so I don’t see how what DO is saying makes any sense re: any rumor.

Maybe he really means Jim Penders but the baseball coach trying to pull off a coup would be something.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That predate SusieLax. Everything that is good or even decent predates her.
Harsh. What are your specific grievances? I can think of few but you sound pretty angry at her.

Reaction Score
Maybe a little too early for the schmuck remark, and everyone here for praising AD David Benedict as the next messiah.

You guys give him way too much credit

I'm going to reserve my judgement on the AD until the KO situation, where football is in the next couple of seasons, and how CR plays out.

His silence the past 2 months pisses me off. I don't care if he's busy. He's at the helm and UConn athletics is falling apart.

IMHO, he's way too much "football only" and leaves other sports to Goetz

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom