Dan Orlovsky: “David Benedict Is A Schmuck” | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Dan Orlovsky: “David Benedict Is A Schmuck”

Reaction Score
So those of you who think Dan O is saying this because he couldn't get a job on the staff, do you realize you're basically calling him a petulant child for not getting what he wants?

Nothing about his past and character, IMO, suggests he's a petulant child that would run to the media for not getting his way.

It's crazy that people think it's more likely he's so bitter about not getting a job that he's never said he wanted that he'd lie to the media about the AD, and crap on a school he loves in the process. THAT'S more logical than him having an opinion that the AD is doing poor job? Sure, okay. :rolleyes:

He needs to do a better job of communicating that point if this is the case. Nothing he said would indicate that the AD ( and not KO, for instance ) is the issue.

Reaction Score
What exactly was DO trying to connote in his comment about DB? He now says he didn’t actually use the word “schmuck”. But the slang word has several slightly different meanings. Would it be any less controversial to have said DB is a “sad and pathetic loser”? How about a “dummy or moron”? What about a “jerk” or a “clueless dunce”? All of these are possible interpretations.
Here’s another thought. What do networks crave from their commentators? Candor. Maybe at a time when Hasselbeck is being considered as the MNF replacement for Gruden (leaving an opening in the pre-game broadcast) DO was actually being slyly provocative knowing the certain stir it would cause might just get the attention of the folks down the road in Bristol.

Reaction Score
What exactly was DO trying to connote in his comment about DB? He now says he didn’t actually use the word “schmuck”. But the slang word has several slightly different meanings. Would it be any less controversial to have said DB is a “sad and pathetic loser”? How about a “dummy or moron”? What about a “jerk” or a “clueless dunce”? All of these are possible interpretations.
Here’s another thought. What do networks crave from their commentators? Candor. Maybe at a time when Hasselbeck is being considered as the MNF replacement for Gruden (leaving an opening in the pre-game broadcast) DO was actually being slyly provocative knowing the certain stir it would cause might just get the attention of the folks down the road in Bristol.

0% chance DO gets the Monday Night Football position lol

Reaction Score
I don't think that's the only (or even a reasonable) explanation. DO is a mouthpiece for Randy. If he's saying this, you can bet that there is conflict between Edsall and Benedict.
And the proof or this is?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Looks like Dan O just ran out of the back of the endzone, AGAIN :eek:
He's a man overboard in search of a life preserver.

Reaction Score
Yea so 12 years in the NFL dosent qualify him for a coaching job at UCONN.....where the quality of play over the last 5 years is a laughing stock.

In every career people start at the bottom, usually. However, if someone has certan experience in the given field it is not necessary to start at the bottom.
Ga usually start on breaking down film for tendencies, they do that for 2-3 years and then usually roll into a position coach for several years moving around their side of the ball and then maybe after 10 years can entertain thoughts of a coordinator.

You mean to tell me he cannot develop a qb with reasonable skills based on him playing the position for 20+ years, or he cannot game plan based on calling plays at the LOS for much of those 20 years.

UC does not have a dedicated QB or passing game coach. Why?

I agree he is pining for the UC job as he needs a job lol. And the UC job is like working for Saban at Alabama
Go talk to Kevin Ollie.

Reaction Score
I have to say after reading some of articles it sounds like Matt Burke probably told Dan O this was off the record. Dan knew Burke from some interviews he did while at UConn and trusted it was in confidence. Burke used it as an opportunity to boost viewer traffic on Metro, and probably make a name for himself at Dan O’s expense.

Reaction Score
That article is ridiculous, IMO, bad idea by Dan to give that interview and those quotes.

1) the FB team wasn't at its best when Dan O was there. He deserves a ton of credit for helping to get the ball rolling, but it was at its best when it won two conference championships and went to a BCS bowl. That wasn't Dan. He's a legend, but the program got even better after he left (again, thanks in part to what he accomplished).
2) the men's team hasn't been reeling for a decade. in fact, it has won 2 national championships in the past 7 years. It's been reeling for 3 years and not just because of the AAC, but because Ollie has been regressing on the job, rather than improving. They mention the 2 national championships won prior to 2011, but not the 2 in the past 7 years? Hit piece. And a hit piece in a place we need to compete for recruits for both programs. Not a good idea to give those quotes, even if he's being honest.

Maybe not reeling for ten years, but there have been quite a few down years that we all probably forget about because of 2011 and 2014 championships.

17 and 14 in 2006/07, 18 and 16 in 2009/10, 20 and 14 in 2011/12, 20 and 10 in 2012/13, and the last two championship years weren't the dominating years we'd been accustomed to in the past. For example, in the 2010/11 year the team was only 21 and 9 in the regular season including 9 and 9 in the Big East.

Admittedly they're not like the last two years, but they were far from the record setting years in the 90's and 00's when UConn routinely dominated the Big East and set Big East regular season records for wins.

17 and 1 in 1995/96 is the Big East Record and there were two years of 16 and 2 (1993/94 and 1994/95). Syracuse did have a 17 and 1 record in 2011/12 that I believe was vacated by the NCAA in their most recent year of sanctions so I'm not sure if the Big East keeps that as a valid record.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
backpedal.gif

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Orlovsky clearly thought comments were off the record. That was a really crappy thing for Burke to do.

Also, Orlovsky is allowed to think Benedict is a schmuck if he wants to. It is his opinion.

Reaction Score
Nope, DO also inferred that athletics is heading in the wrong direction because of AD Dave which is absurd unless DO wanted Diaco to stay or doesn't like the Edsall hire. Obviously neither of those things can be true.

They were at a basketball game when this comment was made? Is it possible DO things AD Dave is responsible for Ollie? If true DO doesn't know what he is talking about. Maybe he was drunk.

I speak to the press infrequently and certainly about matters less notable than college athletics. That said, when I do, I am extremely cautious, well prepared and if I think the risk to great, I decline.

DanO embarrassed himself and i think he would be best served by apologizing to AD Dave.

Reaction Score
I speak to the press infrequently and certainly about matters less notable than college athletics. That said, when I do, I am extremely cautious, well prepared and if I think the risk to great, I decline.

DanO embarrassed himself and i think he would be best served by apologizing to AD Dave.
Well, agreed and so do I. I think though that the fact that it is an infrequent occurrence is what makes us overly cautious. For DO it is a lot more often if not an every day thing.

Reaction Score
So....should we expect Dan O to be offered a position on Dazzlers staff at BC soon???

Reaction Score
Orlovsky clearly thought comments were off the record. That was a really crappy thing for Burke to do.

Also, Orlovsky is allowed to think Benedict is a schmuck if he wants to. It is his opinion.
Conversations with the press are always ON the record unless specifically agreed prior to be otherwise. That is the rule. Everyone who talks to the press knows the rule. The only out he has is that he didn't know the guy he was conversing with was a member of the press. Obviously that did not apply in this case.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Can’t really believe that anyone who has been in the NFL, especially for as long as DO has, doesn’t have any idea that whatever is said to a media member is fair game. There is no off the record in their mind, especially when you write for something called The Metro.

This was said on purpose. Why he made the comments to this person I don’t think we’ll really ever know. It’s naive to think he didn’t know that his comments could be leaked.

To be honest, this whole thing, along with every other dumpster fire happening around our AD, has really soured me on UConn sports. I really need spring practice to come so we can get some kind of positive feelings again, even if I know we’re in for a rough season.

Reaction Score
I find it so odd that he would mention Penders.
DB just got renewed, why would an intelligent person who has access to UConn athletics say that?

Reaction Score

It's probably also his opinion that he should have gotten hired in some capacity as an assistant coach, by Edsall and DB.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom