Dan Orlovsky: “David Benedict Is A Schmuck” | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dan Orlovsky: “David Benedict Is A Schmuck”

Reaction Score
There isn’t any one specific thing.

It’s the ongoing tirefires. The dead silence. The collapsing attendance.

Candidly the annoucement that they lowered ticket prices yesterday annoyed the crap out of me - they did no such thing. Either they are stupid or they think we are.

Based on what they did, Edsall may have put him in a tough spot by going public with the lower price plea.

Based on DO’s comments wouldn’t be surprised if it is a rift with Edsall and wouldn’t be surprised if Corey and their inability to make that go away is a big part of it.

I’m tired of supporting an athletic department that comes off as a mickey mouse organization at every turn.
Connecticut College needs some love.

Reaction Score
I know who you are, but your take on Randy not wanting him to steal his shine is silly.

I go back to his quote many years ago Of Putting DO at qb is like puttin a round peg into a square hole!
There was so much behind the scenes stuff that only a few where privy to. Some of it is downright funny 15 years later some of it is really eyeopening in terms of the character of some folks

I will say no more on this.

I do enjoy reading some of this stuff though!

Reaction Score
Lol at the notion that Orlovsky’s words are what determines DB’s fate.
They don't. There's RUMORS there will be a new AD. Not just DO. Learn to chain possibilities.

Reaction Score
In this thread we are pining for a guy with zero coaching experience be hired and an ex basketball coach become the next AD.

Only on the Boneyard.
I was thinking of the baseball coach. I apologize, my wise master.

Reaction Score
Speaking of "only on the Boneyard", you spaz out here quite a bit.

It’s more like I’m sitting back and laughing. Wondering how some of you guys tie your shoes in the morning.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here’s another thought. Perhaps Randy wanted to hire an ACTUAL FOOTBALL COACH.

Yeah if Dan is mad about that it would be pretty stupid. If he wanted the OC job.

Reaction Score
In this thread we are pining for a guy with zero coaching experience be hired and an ex basketball coach become the next AD.

Only on the Boneyard.
Yea so 12 years in the NFL dosent qualify him for a coaching job at UCONN.....where the quality of play over the last 5 years is a laughing stock.

In every career people start at the bottom, usually. However, if someone has certan experience in the given field it is not necessary to start at the bottom.
Ga usually start on breaking down film for tendencies, they do that for 2-3 years and then usually roll into a position coach for several years moving around their side of the ball and then maybe after 10 years can entertain thoughts of a coordinator.

You mean to tell me he cannot develop a qb with reasonable skills based on him playing the position for 20+ years, or he cannot game plan based on calling plays at the LOS for much of those 20 years.

UC does not have a dedicated QB or passing game coach. Why?

I agree he is pining for the UC job as he needs a job lol. And the UC job is like working for Saban at Alabama

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There isn’t any one specific thing.

It’s the ongoing tirefires. The dead silence. The collapsing attendance.

Candidly the annoucement that they lowered ticket prices yesterday annoyed the crap out of me - they did no such thing. Either they are stupid or they think we are.

Based on what they did, Edsall may have put him in a tough spot by going public with the lower price plea.

Based on DO’s comments wouldn’t be surprised if it is a rift with Edsall and wouldn’t be surprised if Corey and their inability to make that go away is a big part of it.

I’m tired of supporting an athletic department that comes off as a mickey mouse organization at every turn.
Fair enough. I wonder if he's the problem though.

Reaction Score
would RE not want to have DO around for fear that if the program started scoring points and doing good things it would be a repeat of when DO was a bigger name than Re. just sayin

"He's the face of the UConn program," Edsall said of Orlovsky. "It's not me or anybody else. It's Dan. He's the guy who stood up and said, 'I'm going to be different. I'm not going to go to Purdue or Michigan State. I'm going to come to UConn and make it special.'"

Just sayin.

Reaction Score
"He's the face of the UConn program," Edsall said of Orlovsky. "It's not me or anybody else. It's Dan. He's the guy who stood up and said, 'I'm going to be different. I'm not going to go to Purdue or Michigan State. I'm going to come to UConn and make it special.'"

Just sayin.
So if he is the face of the program why didn't Edsell fight to bring him on board

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don't understand the strategy of dead silence from AD David Benedict. He's gone from visible to invisible without explanation. Is he protesting something with the administration? He is trying to make a point with certain coaches? I don't get it.

As for attendance, I don't see how AD David Benedict could be trying much harder. This is a culture problem with the people of CT as much as anything. CT people are front runners, more than other locations.

Above all of this I'm really disappointed in DO today and would hope we see some sort of clarifying comments soon. DO might be able to walk back some of it, but not all of it. I think he could have worked out as the QB coach, but he would have to learn to differ to RE and Dunn along the way (learn to stay in your lane so to speak) which he might not be capable of doing.

This whole situation makes me sick.

Reaction Score
So if he is the face of the program why didn't Edsell fight to bring him on board

He didn't? Tell us more (and I know who you are too). But I'm not going to accept the premise that DO wanted the job, and Edsall wanted him, but refused to fight for him just because you say so.

Dan also said this...

"This is probably the only place I'd entertain going to coach college football at," Orlovsky said of UConn. "The schedule on coaches is hard, hard on families, and I'm at the age where I want to be around a bunch. But if the opportunity presented itself for me to come here, it would be hard for me to say no."

That doesn't sound like a guy who really wants to be a coach at UConn, much less anywhere. He's not excited about the chance to go back to UConn and help turn this thing around. Based on that quote, he'd be lucky to get an interview.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Imagine that...

He didn't call him a schmuck. He said he's "kind of a schmuck". Big difference. ;):)

the article uses quotes. i'd be surprised the author would write that, in quotes, if he didn't say it. will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Reaction Score
He didn't call him a schmuck. He said he's "kind of a schmuck". Big difference. ;):)

the article uses quotes. i'd be surprised the author would write that, in quotes, if he didn't say it. will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

The author went to UConn and is a former UConn Daily Campus “writer”...

Reaction Score
Yea so 12 years in the NFL dosent qualify him for a coaching job at UCONN.....where the quality of play over the last 5 years is a laughing stock.

In every career people start at the bottom, usually. However, if someone has certan experience in the given field it is not necessary to start at the bottom.
Ga usually start on breaking down film for tendencies, they do that for 2-3 years and then usually roll into a position coach for several years moving around their side of the ball and then maybe after 10 years can entertain thoughts of a coordinator.

You mean to tell me he cannot develop a qb with reasonable skills based on him playing the position for 20+ years, or he cannot game plan based on calling plays at the LOS for much of those 20 years.

UC does not have a dedicated QB or passing game coach. Why?

I agree he is pining for the UC job as he needs a job lol. And the UC job is like working for Saban at Alabama

Correct. 12 years as an NFL backup QB does not qualify you to be an OC at an FBS school.

You said you’d stop posting about this. I support that.

Reaction Score
So in other words, he said what he said, but didn't intend for it to go public.

If that's the case, then why say it...especially to a reporter?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom