Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There's no incentive for most of them to do that.

The only ones who would have any interest in that are Temple and UConn.

Other than ECU, UCF, USF (who all would rather be affiliated with UConn bball) the other schools are within range of one another.

Travel cost is the incentive. These schools are all struggling to fund FBS football without much revenue. So create several small regional conferences for Olympic sports. Better rivalries, round robin scheduling. It's really just better. It ought to happen across the board, but the money won't allow it.

Reaction Score
Here is a legitimate question. Let's say the AAC is more or less falling apart. Is a football only league viable? Schools at the G5 level have real travel budget issues in a wide-spread all sports conference. It makes no sense really. Travel for football is just a few games. So could all of those schools find homes in non FBS leagues and come together for a football league?

The simple financial reality is that mega all sports leagues aren't helping anyone but the P5. If the American essentially became just a football league, could the schools find homes for other sports, or even get together for a separate 10 team league?
I think that's a good question. If the AAC starts to crumble by losing say Cinci and Houston, it could go out and invite say 6 teams and have two divisions of 8 each. But then it might morph into what the Big East looked like, except not nearly as good. UConn, Temple, ECU, Navy, USF, UCF, Army, UMass/Buffalo in one division. Nevermind.

Reaction Score
Travel cost is the incentive. These schools are all struggling to fund FBS football without much revenue. So create several small regional conferences for Olympic sports. Better rivalries, round robin scheduling. It's really just better. It ought to happen across the board, but the money won't allow it.

I'm saying they are regional outside UConn and Temple. How far from Dallas to Tulsa? New Orleans to Memphis?

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Posted by Huskymedic on the premium tweet board.

In Key Tweet Thread as well:

Mark Blaudschun@blauds 5 mins ago
Big 12 expansion plans include an invitation to UConn to put its Big 12 pitch together
Big 12 adds UConn to official list

>>According to sources familiar with the process, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby has sent an E-Mail to University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst, and explaining the procedures UConn should follow to formally apply for membership.

Numerous–perhaps as many as 20–emails are expected to be sent by the Big 12 as it winds its way through the steps of expanding from 1o to perhaps 12 or even 14 schools. Various media outlets have reported that Houston has also been officially contacted by the Big 12. The rest of this article is available to subscribers only – to become a subscriber click here.<<

Am I the only person thinking holy sh i t I thought the B12 was further along in this process? An invitation to "...put its ... pitch together"?! As many as 20 emails? Are those all invitations for pitches? I like the part about "...procedures UConn should follow to formally apply for membership", but is this going out to everybody and their cousin or to just a short list? WTF. Or am I just sufferring from CR syndrome?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Posted by Huskymedic on the premium tweet board.

In Key Tweet Thread as well:

Mark Blaudschun@blauds 5 mins ago
Big 12 expansion plans include an invitation to UConn to put its Big 12 pitch together
Big 12 adds UConn to official list

>>According to sources familiar with the process, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby has sent an E-Mail to University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst, and explaining the procedures UConn should follow to formally apply for membership.

Numerous–perhaps as many as 20–emails are expected to be sent by the Big 12 as it winds its way through the steps of expanding from 1o to perhaps 12 or even 14 schools. Various media outlets have reported that Houston has also been officially contacted by the Big 12. The rest of this article is available to subscribers only – to become a subscriber click here.<<

Am I the only person thinking holy sh i t I thought the B12 was further along in this process? An invitation to "...put its ... pitch together"?! As many as 20 emails? Are those all invitations for pitches? I like the part about "...procedures UConn should follow to formally apply for membership", but is this going out to everybody and their cousin or to just a short list? WTF. Or am I just sufferring from CR syndrome?
This is part of that 20 schools video presentation noted earlier this week, I believe. Pretend to be fair to everyone then move onto nut-cutting time.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The AAC has been an unmitigated disaster for UConn athletics. Football independence and Big East for other sports would be a huge upgrade.
blauds said indy not an option.

Reaction Score
I think that's a good question. If the AAC starts to crumble by losing say Cinci and Houston, it could go out and invite say 6 teams and have two divisions of 8 each. But then it might morph into what the Big East looked like, except not nearly as good. UConn, Temple, ECU, Navy, USF, UCF, Army, UMass/Buffalo in one division. Nevermind.
Lets get something straight here. The AAC is losing Uconn. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE B12

C

Chief00

As Whaler said, this topic has been discussed in great detail. In theory it makes sense, but I tend to look at it making the UConn brand weaker. Programs of high stature and caliber don't take that splintered approach, in my opinion. ND and Navy are the exceptions, of course. Pros and cons to that route but I don't like it. The Catholics held the Big East back and we have suffered the most. Let them die a slow death.
We can't blame ND for our plight. Plenty of other teams in that conference did just fine.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
UConn in the Mountain West conference is almost too much to wrap my head around to be honest.

I am not sure what a loss of let's say Houston and UC means in terms of the leagues ability to stay together, but if we had no option of splitting up Olympic sports and football with a league with a closer locale I would rather start from scratch a new conference of 10 teams to maximize football and basketball exposure.

BYU
Air Force
UNLV
Boise State
Colorado State
UConn
Navy
Temple
USF or UCF
ECU or Memphis

Forgot going 12'!

Reaction Score

Nevada
SDSU
BYU
Air Force
UNLV
Boise State
Colorado State
UConn
Navy
Temple
USF
UCF
ECU
Memphis

Get rid of ECU/UCF and UNLV if two have to go.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
If some one could delete my post in premium top shelf tweet message board in would appreciate it. Meant to copy and paste here.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Our perception among common fans, as has been well documented, is terrible. Here's one guy in the comments section of the Trammel article:

Uconn should join BYU as the 2 most ridiculous choices for Big 12 expansion. The geography is just stupid. I'll take BYU with the addition of Air Force though. Then at least they attempted to build a bridge. If Uconn, why not Temple instead? They're also a traditional power in basketball but they're good at football too. Theyre also a good school and closer to NYC

Lol equating our basketball programs to Temple's haha. Good at football? When did they get "good at football?" Last year? So this after being asked to leave a BCS Conference because they showed no commitment to the sport? Gotcha. As for being closer to NYC. Yes, their campus is closer than UConn's campus. So why are they irrelevant in the city?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tramel continues on the "uconn only sent 3,000 fans to the fiesta bowl" nonsense. Lazy. He of all people should know that's not true.
he has been notified by several of us via twitter to correct his attendance figure.

Reaction Score
Our perception among common fans, as has been well documented, is terrible. Here's one guy in the comments section of the Trammel article:

Uconn should join BYU as the 2 most ridiculous choices for Big 12 expansion. The geography is just stupid. I'll take BYU with the addition of Air Force though. Then at least they attempted to build a bridge. If Uconn, why not Temple instead? They're also a traditional power in basketball but they're good at football too. Theyre also a good school and closer to NYC

Lol equating our basketball programs to Temple's haha. Good at football? When did they get "good at football?" Last year? So this after being asked to leave a BCS Conference because they showed no commitment to the sport? Gotcha. As for being closer to NYC. Yes, their campus is closer than UConn's campus. So why are they irrelevant in the city?
Reading the comments section of any CR article is masochistic. You'll never sell UConn to most of the Big 12 fans.

You have to hope you can sell to the university presidents and then, should we get in, improve our on the field performance to win some respect from other fanbases.

We're not good at football right now and we're far away from Big 12 country. Tough sell to the casuals.

Reaction Score
Reading the comments section of any CR article is masochistic. You'll never sell UConn to most of the Big 12 fans.

You have to hope you can sell to the university presidents and then, should we get in, improve our on the field performance to win some respect from other fanbases.

We're not good at football right now and we're far away from Big 12 country. Tough sell to the casuals.
This season can help with the perception...especially if we win against UVA, Cuse and BC and play with Houston snap for snap. IMHO the rebuild job Diaco has done will put UConn in a good place to turn the perception of the program. Look at what Rhule has done for Temple, what Fuente did for Memphis.

Reaction Score
This season can help with the perception...especially if we win against UVA, Cuse and BC and play with Houston snap for snap. IMHO the rebuild job Diaco has done will put UConn in a good place to turn the perception of the program. Look at what Rhule has done for Temple, what Fuente did for Memphis.

Well...UConn picked the right ACC bottom dwellers to play...BC didn't win a single conference game last year, Syracuse was an ugly 2-6 and got one of its wins by playing BC, and Virginia was 3-8.

Beating Houston would get attention.

Reaction Score
Well...UConn picked the right ACC bottom dwellers to play...BC didn't win a single conference game last year, Syracuse was an ugly 2-6 and got one of its wins by playing BC, and Virginia was 3-8.

If they beat the bottom dwellers with good sound football...it makes a case for them like I said.

Reaction Score

Beating Houston would get attention.[/QUOTE
Does Lat year have anything to do with this ?

I thought we already knocked top 10 Houston off last year.
They may or may not be as good this year.
Last year's UConn team was mostly freshman and Sophs

Reaction Score
Reading comment section of the Trammel article proves how clueless average fans are about conference realignment.

UConn has to change its football perception somehow. Starting in a few weeks, we simplely have to win all the FB games against the ACC and others.

Reaction Score

They beat Houston last year, something Florida State was unable to do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom