Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

Reaction Score
Most of those people bashing us are likely Houston and Memphis fans and maybe even Cincy fans. I don't think most of the B12 fans care that much. When I've looked at actual B12 fan forums they were pretty cool with us until we started to seem like a long shot in the media. They know we have a big name in basketball at least. Their perception of us in football is pretty much a direct result of writers pooping on us for the last month. Amazing what a few bad years will do to perception. The mere fact they poop on us by saying we have no potential because we have been lousy since we were in the Fiesta Bowl is an oxymoron of sorts.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yeah, last two years the champ would have been undefeated in the league if there was no UConn. Three out of 4 years as well, IIRC.

Houston, UCF, Louisville? Didn't we beat Rutgers to prevent them from the BCS as well?

Reaction Score

For him to write 2 articles on UConn, he definitely has an agenda. The big question is, is it being dictated by OU?

If you recall, early on Flugs said OU was pushing for UConn. These two articles would appear (superficially) to confirm that - unless BT is going off on his own. Somehow, I doubt that would happen at this stage of the discussions.

It also appears that UConn is being proactive by leaking info through Blauds, telling ESPN to get out of the way.

Encouraging data points, but there's still too many twists and turns still to come.

Reaction Score
For him to write 2 articles on UConn, he definitely has an agenda. The big question is, is it being dictated by OU?

If you recall, early on Flugs said OU was pushing for UConn. These two articles would appear (superficially) to confirm that - unless BT is going off on his own. Somehow, I doubt that would happen at this stage of the discussions.

It also appears that UConn is being proactive by leaking info through Blauds, telling ESPN to get out of the way.

Encouraging data points, but there's still too many twists and turns still to come.
I feel like there's no way he's just decided to pump our tires out of nowhere. Why would he? He has no connection to UConn and he's known about our resume for as long as this BS has been going on. And all of a sudden he's decided "well who cares about geography anyway?"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've been thinking this as well. If ESPN, as some have said (no one particularly credible), wants UConn in AAC to bolster value/keep Fox of the east coast etc., if makes sense to let them know that we aren't sticking around and plan to head to Fox. At that point if becomes less worth their while to lobby for other candidates.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I think so, too. People said that the source was Tranghese. There is no way that Tranghese who was hired by UConn as a consultant would say anything unless it was with the okay of UConn.

Reaction Score
It also appears that UConn is being proactive by leaking info through Blauds, telling ESPN to get out of the way
This is an interesting thought.

Basically telling them we're done being had for cheap, either get us into another league you control or lose us entirely.

Smart, if that's what they're playing at. And it's not completely implausible that we'd really pull that ripcord if we get left behind again

Reaction Score
I feel like there's no way he's just decided to pump our tires out of nowhere. Why would he? He has no connection to UConn and he's known about our resume for as long as this BS has been going on. And all of a sudden he's decided "well who cares about geography anyway?"
I think Oklahoma looked at the candidates and said if we want this conference to survive past 2025 we have to create an image as a national conference.
Is there a better way than practically doubling your footprint in one fell swoop.
UConn is :
State Flagship who owns the state simalar to West VA or Nebraska but a larger state than either
The population is 3.5 million people
Both Boston and NYC are about 100miles from Hartford
In the Southwest that's almost within city limits.
Texas could still be a big fish but the pond was doubled.
UConn has committed to both Acedemic and Athletic excellence
It's really a no brainer .

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
This is an interesting thought.

Basically telling them we're done being had for cheap, either get us into another league you control or lose us entirely.

Smart, if that's what they're playing at. And it's not completely implausible that we'd really pull that ripcord if we get left behind again

Sometimes you have to punch the bully in the nose. If this is what is happening...bravo!

Reaction Score

I am reading and reading the end of the article....over and over:

"So Connecticut stands above the field. When you factor in UConn’s strong academics and its status as a flagship school in a populous state, the geographic problems are overshadowed."

Reaction Score

Berry Tramel doesn't write the 2 articles he just did on his own. It has been mentioned here before..he is the OU Athletic Dept mouth piece. When they want to get something out there they give him a call. And this is one thing to remember here..his main audience is the OU fanbase. His articles are available on the world wide web for us to read..but he is like Jeff Jacobs. When Jacobs writes stuff he aims it to the UConn fan base.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think Oklahoma looked at the candidates and said if we want this conference to survive past 2025 we have to create an image as a national conference.
Is there a better way than practically doubling your footprint in one fell swoop.
UConn is :
State Flagship who owns the state simalar to West VA or Nebraska but a larger state than either
The population is 3.5 million people
Both Boston and NYC are about 100miles from Hartford
In the Southwest that's almost within city limits.
Texas could still be a big fish but the pond was doubled.
UConn has committed to both Acedemic and Athletic excellence
It's really a no brainer .
It isn't far from being a no brained. My one concern is that the decision will ultimately be made by career academics, not businessmen. The whim of someone who may question how a New England school may impact the way the conference as a whole may interpret things. That someone may be more concerned with appeasing local politicians than the conference's long term athletic success. That someone may not be willing to hurt a friend's feelings could be enough to keep us out.

Reaction Score
Berry Tramel doesn't write the 2 articles he just did on his own. It has been mentioned here before..he is the OU Athletic Dept mouth piece. When they want to get something out there they give him a call. And this is one thing to remember here..his main audience is the OU fanbase. His articles are available on the world wide web for us to read..but he is like Jeff Jacobs. When Jacobs writes stuff he aims it to the UConn fan base.
I hope he's the anti-Jake.

Reaction Score
To Mr. Western commenting on Berry Tramel's article, thank you for your support.

"Steve Western ·
Gilbert, Arizona
In looking at Houston and Colorado State it's clear that more than 50% of their athletic budget has to be subsidized which is indicative of the level of support or non-support the two schools are getting. While Houston averages about 30-35,000, CSU comes in at around 20,000 a far cry from even Big 12 bottom attendance bottom dweller Kansas. What makes it tough to analyze which of the 20 school best benefits the conference IF the Big 12 does pull the trigger are the smoke and mirrors "facts" offered up. CSU is building a nice new bandbox to play football in stating the CAPACITY with be 41,000, an interesting word choice as there will be 36,000 seats. Houston, the Floida Schools, Boise St, Memphis have poor to terrible academic rankings on both the US News and Forbes highly respected rankings, yet the claims made in the sales pitches would have you thinking that only students with 4.0's and perfect SAT's make up the student body being taught by Nobel Prize winners. And the Carnegie Best 100 label used by both UH and Boise is pretty confusing since BSU couldn't even make the US News top 200 while listed #612 of #650 in Forbes, UH hits the mid-300's, the Carnegie designation loses all of its glitter. I agree with Barry, BYU and UConn are the only prospects capable of adding to the Big 12, rather than taking away whatever respect and prestige the 10 members have created."
UConn's athletic budget much larger than other Big 12 expansion hopefuls

Reaction Score
To Mr. Western commenting on Berry Tramel's article, thank you for your support.

"Steve Western ·
Gilbert, Arizona
In looking at Houston and Colorado State it's clear that more than 50% of their athletic budget has to be subsidized which is indicative of the level of support or non-support the two schools are getting. While Houston averages about 30-35,000, CSU comes in at around 20,000 a far cry from even Big 12 bottom attendance bottom dweller Kansas. What makes it tough to analyze which of the 20 school best benefits the conference IF the Big 12 does pull the trigger are the smoke and mirrors "facts" offered up. CSU is building a nice new bandbox to play football in stating the CAPACITY with be 41,000, an interesting word choice as there will be 36,000 seats. Houston, the Floida Schools, Boise St, Memphis have poor to terrible academic rankings on both the US News and Forbes highly respected rankings, yet the claims made in the sales pitches would have you thinking that only students with 4.0's and perfect SAT's make up the student body being taught by Nobel Prize winners. And the Carnegie Best 100 label used by both UH and Boise is pretty confusing since BSU couldn't even make the US News top 200 while listed #612 of #650 in Forbes, UH hits the mid-300's, the Carnegie designation loses all of its glitter. I agree with Barry, BYU and UConn are the only prospects capable of adding to the Big 12, rather than taking away whatever respect and prestige the 10 members have created."
UConn's athletic budget much larger than other Big 12 expansion hopefuls
Gilbert has a huge LDS population I suspect this guy is a BYU fan.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's funny how Houston is leveraging it's past football season is indicative of sustainable athletic success and are a top candidate.

In one season they could become UCF and fall back on their faces. Same with a Memphis.

BYU, Cincinnati and UConn have all had ups and downs but their athletic programs and commitment to their programs doesn't change.

Reaction Score

Tramel may be a OU homer but even as a Texas fan I have always appreciated his journalistic integrity.

Unlike some of his peers in other cities, he doesn't court the easy adulation of neaderthals in his local team's fan base by constantly bashing or blaming their rival.

Instead his commentary is always very fair, honest and objective.

And he promptly answers his emails too.

But he doesn't have very good taste in food though. Every time he comes to Austin he skips the barbecue and Tex-Mex to eat at places like Arby's.

Bleh!

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
upload_2016-8-27_14-13-36.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members