Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
That was an impressive story in the JI. I would have pursued a journalism career if I could write all my stories based on things I read on the internet, and never talking to anyone about them.
Seriously, call up Blauds and asks him what he actually knows, he would be thrilled with the publicity.

Reaction Score
That was an impressive story in the JI. I would have pursued a journalism career if I could write all my stories based on things I read on the internet, and never talking to anyone about them.
Seriously, call up Blauds and asks him what he actually knows, he would be thrilled with the publicity.

My favorite is random cheap shot by calling his site "Fledgling."

Reaction Score
UConn in the Mountain West conference is almost too much to wrap my head around to be honest.

Let's start off first with the idea that the Mountain West would want us as a football-only member. Why would they? We are a solid brand, about a notch below BYU and Boise, but on par or above Nevada or Fresno State. We aren't going to improve their SOS drastically and then you have the idea that travelling from Boise or Reno to East Hartford every other year is less than ideal.

Then there is the idea of why UConn would want to be in the Mountain West. Sure the obvious reason that it is a good football conference that will give our program a home, while decoupling our other Olympic Sports, but again the geography issue is a disaster. Could you imagine having to play 6 away games every year in either the Mountain or Pacific time zones? That type of travel is murder on a football team based in New England.

The only scenario where this makes any damn sense at all is if the Big 12 expands by 2 with Cincy and Houston. The 12 team MWC then expands by 4: BYU, UConn, Navy and another eastern AAC school Temple/USF/UCF.

Then you have a MWC that is:

West
Fresno State
San Diego State
San Jose State
Nevada
UNLV
Hawaii
New Mexico
Boise State

East
BYU
Utah St.
Wyoming
Air Force
Colorado State
UConn
Navy
Temple/USF/UCF

I mean that is absolutely mental.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

And boy, the fact that Benedict retweeted a pro UConn tweet is really big information. The guy retweets everything pro UConn that comes his way (or rather some 20 something that works for him in the media group does).

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
We've elevated this C Austin Cox guy to premium top-shelf?
He appears to have a sport reporter job, but I haven't looked at it very hard. Is he a paid professional or some guy blogging at the equivalent of SB Nation?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Probably showed up as

"Last name, first name, RF 1.0 INN, 0/1, K."

And that was it.

I jest.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The AAC has been an unmitigated disaster for UConn athletics. Football independence and Big East for other sports would be a huge upgrade.

Reaction Score
UConn in the Mountain West conference is almost too much to wrap my head around to be honest.

Let's start off first with the idea that the Mountain West would want us as a football-only member. Why would they? We are a solid brand, about a notch below BYU and Boise, but on par or above Nevada or Fresno State. We aren't going to improve their SOS drastically and then you have the idea that travelling from Boise or Reno to East Hartford every other year is less than ideal.

Then there is the idea of why UConn would want to be in the Mountain West. Sure the obvious reason that it is a good football conference that will give our program a home, while decoupling our other Olympic Sports, but again the geography issue is a disaster. Could you imagine having to play 6 away games every year in either the Mountain or Pacific time zones? That type of travel is murder on a football team based in New England.

The only scenario where this makes any damn sense at all is if the Big 12 expands by 2 with Cincy and Houston. The 12 team MWC then expands by 4: BYU, UConn, Navy and another eastern AAC school Temple/USF/UCF.

Then you have a MWC that is:

West
Fresno State
San Diego State
San Jose State
Nevada
UNLV
Hawaii
New Mexico
Boise State

East
BYU
Utah St.
Wyoming
Air Force
Colorado State
UConn
Navy
Temple/USF/UCF

I mean that is absolutely mental.

I believe if UCONN does not get into the B12, we should try the following:

1. Put all sports other than FB into the Big East.
2. Go alone and try to get into the MWC or another conference as FB only.
3. Talk to a couple like-minded AAC and MWC schools to form a national wide football conference. Perhaps that conference will get a better media deal than the crappy payout from the AAC.

Reaction Score
I understand the MWC has applied for the name MSC--Mountain Shore Conference. Not.

Reaction Score
From the Iowa State pres interview:

"As for a timeline, Leath said the process of deciding whether to add two schools, four schools are none at all will be hammered out “between now and Christmas.”

CHRISTMAS NOW? Talk about a circus!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Christmas makes this FB season important as one year of football success seems to be what it takes.
smug-guy-Getty-Images.jpg

It's all coming together.​

[We're still doomed.]

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He appears to have a sport reporter job, but I haven't looked at it very hard. Is he a paid professional or some guy blogging at the equivalent of SB Nation?

SB Nation is way more legitimate.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
SB Nation is way more legitimate.
I took a look at that website, and couldn't figure out if it was a commercial enterprise. The tweeter is a member of a couple of sportswriter associations, which means he may have had a legit job in the past. Most likely they are organizations that will include you if you pay the dues.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I believe if UCONN does not get into the B12, we should try the following:

1. Put all sports other than FB into the Big East.
2. Go alone and try to get into the MWC or another conference as FB only.
3. Talk to a couple like-minded AAC and MWC schools to form a national wide football conference. Perhaps that conference will get a better media deal than the crappy payout from the AAC.

Here is a legitimate question. Let's say the AAC is more or less falling apart. Is a football only league viable? Schools at the G5 level have real travel budget issues in a wide-spread all sports conference. It makes no sense really. Travel for football is just a few games. So could all of those schools find homes in non FBS leagues and come together for a football league?

The simple financial reality is that mega all sports leagues aren't helping anyone but the P5. If the American essentially became just a football league, could the schools find homes for other sports, or even get together for a separate 10 team league?

Reaction Score
Here is a legitimate question. Let's say the AAC is more or less falling apart. Is a football only league viable? Schools at the G5 level have real travel budget issues in a wide-spread all sports conference. It makes no sense really. Travel for football is just a few games. So could all of those schools find homes in non FBS leagues and come together for a football league?

The simple financial reality is that mega all sports leagues aren't helping anyone but the P5. If the American essentially became just a football league, could the schools find homes for other sports, or even get together for a separate 10 team league?

There's no incentive for most of them to do that.

The only ones who would have any interest in that are Temple and UConn.

Other than ECU, UCF, USF (who all would rather be affiliated with UConn bball) the other schools are within range of one another.

Reaction Score

Its a good thought process. Especially from a UConn perspective since we could end up un a better league for other sports like the Big East. Schools like USF and ECU, what type of league could those schools get into?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom