Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
To the Providence, SJU, Georgetown and Syracuse fan, the only Big East seasons that count in assessing UConn are 82-83 through 85-86.

Just like that ridiculous ESPN 30 for 30 on the history of the old Big East. They focused on that era to the near exclusion of the subsequent 25 years. It seemed like the producer and director got together and said how do we show this so that UCONN gets less than a minute of air time?

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Perhaps it is you who needs the education.
Uconn was lucky to be in the league from the beginning.
Syracuse Georgetown and St Johns who made the league while Uconn slept
Cincy Pitt and WVU 3 of the biggest leeches on the Big East. only supplanted by Uconn who without the votes from some of the Catholic schools would be looking forward to open up this Football season in Durham NH.
Not denying the greatness that Uconn has acheived but come on now. I do agree that PC added little to the league other than a past history of Ernie D and Larry Kevertis.

Who the heck is Larry Kevertis? If you'd said Marvin Barnes, Johnny Egan, or even Joey Hassett, it would have been credible.

Reaction Score
Since I'm a pessimist I will state the flip side of that coin. We could have a couple of injuries, lose a couple close games or whatever and finish 5-7 or something. Then it's cemented that our program sucks and we get no more consideration. Dragging it out really could go either way for us.
You're right that absolutely could happen. But at least if it drags, we get a chance for another at-bat.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Bottom line, no, I don't want to be in the A-10 but the Big East is not an option. I think that conference has a much more defined mission than most. It's not about being Catholic but it is about basketball and not being lured away by football. But then again, maybe they want to be sure they will always be able to pray before their games no matter where they play.

To me, in the event we do not get the thumbs up from the B12, splitting our football and Olympic sports programs makes zero sense economically, politically or any other way. Unless some conference wants to treat us like UT, give us our own network nobody else gets to share in, and moves their conference HQ to Hartford, what's in it for us?

Whether it's the A-10, new Big East, or any other mid major basketball only conference doesn't matter. We don't belong in any of them. Our administration has already indicated there's no interest in such a move. We're already in what is generally recognized as the best of the G5 conferences. Anything else at this point, short of a move to the P5, would be a downgrade from where we are now.

There's no reason to care at this point about who's pissed off at who due to past history.

Reaction Score
The longer this drags out, the more of an opportunity we have to prove on the football field that we belong.

And UConn dodges a bullet this year by not having Buffalo or Western Michigan on the schedule which gives UConn more chances to win.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
And UConn dodges a bullet this year by not having Buffalo or Western Michigan on the schedule which gives UConn more chances to win.

Dude, your conference is garbage en flambé. You don't talk trash to us, you grovel at our shoes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I get tired of UConn fans jumping on PC fans or others about being "leeches".
You are right H2. I for one will no longer refer to PC fans as leaches. I will now refer to them as ticks.

Reaction Score
Riding coattails is a more gentle, passive description than leeching. And UConn had some big coattails!

Reaction Score

Yeah, we're worried about the MAC and not the ACC and Houston. Houston who we just beat before they took FSU to the woodshed in a bowl game.

Ever wonder why you never won a national championship?

Reaction Score
Channel 8 televised some UConn games especially Yale
I worked with a guy that was a camera man for WNHC
They had Miltary surplus cameras for remote broadcasts
The entire game consisted of making sure you had at least on of your cameras working.
Radio was king though

remember the tv's in those days? God they sucked!

Reaction Score
Literally, on the diamond.
See, UConn has an extremely good baseball program. Big 12 has pretty good baseball. Diamond. Upon review, did you know that Texas was only ranked 128 last year. 8th worst of the 9 Big 12 programs. ISU does not play baseball. UConn was 48. ACC is unreal in baseball.

Reaction Score
remember the tv's in those days? God they sucked!
We would converge in the lounge to hopefully catch some games. Channel 20 I believe carried some. There were times even a UConn - BC game wasn't televised.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
ISU President interview....what, did they rent out the local junior high school cafeteria for that piece? My goodness I know it's Iowa but you'd think they'd have some halfway decent accommodations for the Prez.

I liked his remarks, although very carefully constructed so as not to make any waves. We ought to make out OK if the rest of the presidents employ his approach. The only thing that concerned me a little was his playing by the rules remark. We could still get dinged for the Nate Miles recruiting fiasco, even though the rules we violated have been done away with since. More recently, the APR mess might also hurt if any B12 presidents feel it reflects negatively on the entire athletic dept.

Reaction Score
The only thing that concerned me a little was his playing by the rules remark. We could still get dinged for the Nate Miles recruiting fiasco, even though the rules we violated have been done away with since. More recently, the APR mess might also hurt if any B12 presidents feel it reflects negatively on the entire athletic dept.

Please tell me my sarcasm meter is broken and you aren't being serious - please.

Hell, I'd be more worried about Cy's broken wing being held against us than that...

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Please tell me my sarcasm meter is broken and you aren't being serious - please.

Hell, I'd be more worried about Cy's broken wing being held against us than that...

I assume that's what he was referring to when he said playing by the rules. If so, I guess USF can kiss their slim chances bye bye.

FWIW, I know a current D1 BB coach who will tell you privately that we have a reputation among the coaching fraternity as being cheaters, whether deservedly or not.

Reaction Score
I assume that's what he was referring to when he said playing by the rules. If so, I guess USF can kiss their slim chances bye bye.

FWIW, I know a current D1 BB coach who will tell you privately that we have a reputation among the coaching fraternity as being cheaters, whether deservedly or not.

Teams who win 4 championships are always considered cheaters. It's how it works.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Teams who win 4 championships are always considered cheaters. It's how it works.

Oh, I'm well aware of that, but it's always out there.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Without Nate Miles we never would have won any NCAA title so I could see how that would affect our reputation.

Reaction Score
Playing in the Mountain West would be interesting, especially if BYU were left on the table and the conference agreed to readd them. It'd at least be a moderately sustainable home for football while basketball could find a sustainable home in the Big East. I agree with Blauds argument that if the AAC loses one or more teams we cannot stay there in all sports.

Reaction Score
From Premium Tweets thread:

"We'll put this here arguably because it is a local paper and will get picked up elsewhere (but more speculation/trying to read tea leaves/reading BY post)... Journal Inquirer Report: Big East is UConn's Plan B if Big 12 bid fails"

I can live with this as a stop gap to build our football brand over time

"Boston-based sportswriter Mark Blaudschun reported Monday on his fledgling pay-to-view website, "it seems more and more likely that UConn WILL NOT be part of the American Athletic Conference" after the Big 12 expansion process shakes out. Blaudschun used the capital letters for emphasis."

That's because he knows we are in Big12 already and can't report it or he loses the promised scoop!!!
conspiracy3.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom