CJ Jackson (Committed to Ohio State) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

CJ Jackson (Committed to Ohio State)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If everyone returns we have 8 forwards (Dham, Larrier, Facey, Enoch, Brimah, Diarra, Durham, Jackson) and 4 guards on next years roster (Purvis, Adams, Gilbert, Cassell Jr.)

I'd like to minimize Cassell's minutes to 5-10 per game, tops. With that said I think a guard who can handle the ball and shoot it is needed more than another forward, IMO.

If UConn has to give SJCJr 5-10 mpg - this team is in serious trouble.
I like the dude but he would be fighting for time at some D2 schools

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
And just when you thought our roster was pretty much set for next season , we get multiple 2016 player threads and a nice graduate transfer thread . It's good/ Exciting If we're adding a nice finishing touch to the the team for next season but not so good if someone's leaving. I hope this is just KO trying to make the team stronger and more talented.

Reaction Score
If everyone returns we have 8 forwards (Dham, Larrier, Facey, Enoch, Brimah, Diarra, Durham, Jackson) and 4 guards on next years roster (Purvis, Adams, Gilbert, Cassell Jr.)

I'd like to minimize Cassell's minutes to 5-10 per game, tops. With that said I think a guard who can handle the ball and shoot it is needed more than another forward, IMO.
I agree we could use another ball handler/shooter. That said, both Jackson and Hamilton will be somewhat reliable shooters, and with the addition of Gilbert I'm hoping to see DHam slide back into a ball handling role that he's more suited for.

If we can get CJ (or a similar graduate transfer), we'll have 7 outside shooters and 6 ball handlers despite having the 8:5 big to guard ratio.

Reaction Score
Good thing about having Ricky Moore as a coach is he can probably weed through whether these JUCO guys will succeed at D1 after about 5 minutes of his defense on them.

Reaction Score
We have one guard who has shown he can effectively break down a defender off the dribble. A ball handler/shooter is a bigger priority.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Hmm....

The Eastern Florida guard has chopsticks for legs. His face is about as bare as a grocery-less kitchen cabinet. Generously listed at 170 pounds, his upper body is stuck in neutral between puberty and his adolescent years.

And yet, he’ll drop 44 points on you in a heart beat while chewing a piece of spearmint. Ask Indian River State when the freshmen went 15-of-25 from the field, including nine 3-pointers on Jan. 30. Two games later he bombed away again for 39 points and eight 3s.

Jackson had the hot hand early against Ranger College, but it wasn’t enough to take down the Billy Gillispie coached Ranger College.

“He’s a different type of player than what you’ll see from a lot of guys who scores points like that,” said Eastern Florida coach Jeremy Shulman. “He’s not an explosive athlete or a big strong guard. He’s a thin 6-2 guy who’s incredibly skilled.”

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I was interested until it said he'd be with us for three years. That's too many years to tie up a scholarship.

Reaction Score
I was interested until it said he'd be with us for three years. That's too many years to tie up a scholarship.
Not really...him joining sophomore class would add a decent balance. Would still have at least 3 schollies open for 2017.

Reaction Score
Snippy, but I'll respond.
The problem, In my opinion, has existed for 4 years during which our best center has been Amida.
Yes, we won a NC during that time. In spite of, not because of our center position. Plus, Deandre caught fire that year. Never a bruising power forward, he played a beautiful finesse game, which along with 2 outstanding guards. We have not had a prototypical frontcourt in 4 years. Our players have been thin if athletic. In 2014, we overcame that. Since then we tend to get pushed around against big teams.

You really wonder why you might have got snide? So we had your prototypical frontcourt in 11-12. We had Drummond, AO, with Tyler and Roscoe to give minutes off the bench. And we weren't good at all.

Prototypes don't win games and championships. Good players who combine to make a good team win games and championships. If prototypes won championships, UK would have more championships than us.

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a rumor about Diallo or MAL reclassifying? Is that dead at this point?

Reaction Score
You really wonder why you might have got snide? So we had your prototypical frontcourt in 11-12. We had Drummond, AO, with Tyler and Roscoe to give minutes off the bench. And we weren't good at all.

Prototypes don't win games and championships. Good players who combine to make a good team win games and championships. If prototypes won championships, UK would have more championships than us.

Uh, UK does have more championships than we do.

Reaction Score
I will go out on a limb and say BL was referring to the modern era....and not including those won during Rupp era...just a hunch

Reaction Score
Agree Scotty!! The Dance also had 20 teams in those days. One win and you are in the FF ala UCLA in the 60s.!!! Since the Dance went to 68 it's remarkable how many teams have NOT been in the FF. I might add some D1 teams will never get there. Some teams will never get to a Regional final.:):):) We are UCONN, we are NOT Cinderella.!!!

Reaction Score
Hmm....

The Eastern Florida guard has chopsticks for legs. His face is about as bare as a grocery-less kitchen cabinet. Generously listed at 170 pounds, his upper body is stuck in neutral between puberty and his adolescent years.

And yet, he’ll drop 44 points on you in a heart beat while chewing a piece of spearmint. Ask Indian River State when the freshmen went 15-of-25 from the field, including nine 3-pointers on Jan. 30. Two games later he bombed away again for 39 points and eight 3s.

Jackson had the hot hand early against Ranger College, but it wasn’t enough to take down the Billy Gillispie coached Ranger College.

“He’s a different type of player than what you’ll see from a lot of guys who scores points like that,” said Eastern Florida coach Jeremy Shulman. “He’s not an explosive athlete or a big strong guard. He’s a thin 6-2 guy who’s incredibly skilled.”
Interesting mix of good and bad. On one hand, the frame is concerning, especially on defense. But if he's a great shooter and is skilled with his handle, he may be worth taking a chance on, especially with SCJr graduating next year. Guards in college can get away with being thin sometimes. Cat Barber doesn't defend well and has a similar build to this kid, but obviously he's still a big asset to his team. Worst case scenario, from 2017 and on he's the new Cassell. Of course we don't have a final count of how many scholarships we have until we know who's leaving.

Reaction Score
It was a weird way to phrase it, because all you had to do to make it true was say "if prototypes won championships, UK would have more championships than they do"

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
It was a weird way to phrase it, because all you had to do to make it true was say "if prototypes won championships, UK would have more championships than they do"

I assume he just means Kansas (KU).

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
I will go out on a limb and say BL was referring to the modern era....and not including those won during Rupp era...just a hunch

I knew what he meant, but sometimes I just can't help myself.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Is this kid an improvement over SamCJr?
If so, sign him up
And I don't get the 3 yrs eligibility as a liability???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom