CJ Jackson (Committed to Ohio State) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

CJ Jackson (Committed to Ohio State)

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I guess you missed the first 20 minutes when our guards/wings couldn't get them into an offense because of defensive pressure and basically got Travis Trice'd/Keith Appling'd
Or I guess you missed the Tulsa game when KO even had to admit afterwards that he should've pulled Rodney and DHam for shooting them out of the game
Or the Temple game on the road where Rodney missed countless layups and they couldn't squeeze out a bucket from Gibbs/Purvis/DHam to stem the tide against that Temple run to end the game
Or the home game against Temple where other than some buckets from Rodney in the first 10 minutes our guards couldn't hit
Or the game against Maryland where they fell into a double digit hole in the first half where Rodney didn't show up until around the 30 minute mark, DHam did nothing in the 1st half and had DraftExpres on twitter openly mocking his inability to get a shot off against MD defenders
Or the Gonzaga game where they fell into a 20 point hole in the 1st half and couldn't hit shots or layups
Or the Syracuse game where DHam was hesitant to shoot in the middle of the zone and Rodney missed layups

I didn't see the SMU or Cincy losses so I'll leave those out, but I'm sure they followed a similar pattern. Our guard/wing play was far away from the level where they don't deserve any criticism and all the blame needs to be placed at the feet of the bigs.

I totally agree with your post, but damn, you're killing Rodney right there.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Longer leash? The guy gets put on blast here more than any player in recent memory. We all know his inadequacies as a player it just gets tiresome when people hijack threads to tell us he sucks. For all his inadequacies we are certainly a better with him than without him.

+ 1 5

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Is the 3-point arc in JUCO is only 12-feet?

Think he is referring to tighter looks, greater pressure/expectations, better team and individual defense, etc. You get a lot of spot up looks in JuCo that don't present themselves in D1 ball.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Hmm....

The Eastern Florida guard has chopsticks for legs. His face is about as bare as a grocery-less kitchen cabinet. Generously listed at 170 pounds, his upper body is stuck in neutral between puberty and his adolescent years.

And yet, he’ll drop 44 points on you in a heart beat while chewing a piece of spearmint. Ask Indian River State when the freshmen went 15-of-25 from the field, including nine 3-pointers on Jan. 30. Two games later he bombed away again for 39 points and eight 3s.

Jackson had the hot hand early against Ranger College, but it wasn’t enough to take down the Billy Gillispie coached Ranger College.

“He’s a different type of player than what you’ll see from a lot of guys who scores points like that,” said Eastern Florida coach Jeremy Shulman. “He’s not an explosive athlete or a big strong guard. He’s a thin 6-2 guy who’s incredibly skilled.”
Interesting mix of good and bad. On one hand, the frame is concerning, especially on defense. But if he's a great shooter and is skilled with his handle, he may be worth taking a chance on, especially with SCJr graduating next year. Guards in college can get away with being thin sometimes. Cat Barber doesn't defend well and has a similar build to this kid, but obviously he's still a big asset to his team. Worst case scenario, from 2017 and on he's the new Cassell. Of course we don't have a final count of how many scholarships we have until we know who's leaving.

Seth Curry 2.0!

haha

Reaction Score
I totally agree with your post, but damn, you're killing Rodney right there.
Yea, I won't front, I'm not nearly as high on Purvis or DHam (as players only) as other folks are, certainly not to the extent where after a game I just blame Brimah for every loss. They're good/decent players, I just think they get exposed being cast in the role of leading men and we see their shortcomings.

Reaction Score
Yea, I won't front, I'm not nearly as high on Purvis or DHam (as players only) as other folks are, certainly not to the extent where after a game I just blame Brimah for every loss. They're good/decent players, I just think they get exposed being cast in the role of leading men and we see their shortcomings.
Purvis is a good role player I agree with you on that but I think Dham can be a star next year. It's not often that the consensus on a kid is that he had an off year when he averaged 13pts 9rebs and 5asts. I don't think he's ever gonna be a great shooter but he has all the tools besides that

Reaction Score
Spider Ursery, came in as a soph and started at pf for 3 years. I am pretty sure he started on the NIT championship team.
Spider was never a starter during his time at UConn, but was a very good dude. Have a story I would love to share w the Boneyard of hanging with him many times, but totally inappropriate.....he had a special talent when it came to partying. Tragic shame what happened to him.

Reaction Score
Friend of mine coaches JUCO in Florida and his team played against CJ, yet he didn't remember too much about him. Thought CJ was streaky and "not near as good as Cassell", he coached against both of them. He was absolutely shocked he shot 45% from 3 pt land.

The fact that this coach is a sharp guy/longtime successful coach and doesn't remember much about CJ is kinda surprising/maybe a bit disconcerting (though certainly not infallible).

He said he finished second in the player of the year and the guy knew all about the player that won it, a 5'7 point guard.

We go to a bunch of games, there are kids that can play at that level, most will flame out but there are some real good ones.

Reaction Score
Friend of mine coaches JUCO in Florida and his team played against CJ, yet he didn't remember too much about him. Thought CJ was streaky and "not near as good as Cassell", he coached against both of them. He was absolutely shocked he shot 45% from 3 pt land.

The fact that this coach is a sharp guy/longtime successful coach and doesn't remember much about CJ is kinda surprising/maybe a bit disconcerting (though certainly not infallible).

He said he finished second in the player of the year and the guy knew all about the player that won it, a 5'7 point guard.

We go to a bunch of games, there are kids that can play at that level, most will flame out but there are some real good ones.
I think KO and the staff are just going thru their options. We need another ball handler for next year bad

C

Chief00

The jury is out until we get a look at Chief's long-awaited analysis

Shooters are like pitchers in baseball - you never have enough assuming he can shoot.

Though in terms of priority we need a power forward who can kick butt and get mega Mano rebounds.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
i'll take that bet.

I like Rodney, but, c'mon.
I'll eat ketchup and turkey everyday between the announcement of player of the year and start of tournament if I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
Spider was never a starter during his time at UConn, but was a very good dude. Have a story I would love to share w the Boneyard of hanging with him many times, but totally inappropriate.....he had a special talent when it came to partying. Tragic shame what happened to him.
I must know you then, Spider and his girlfriend and his little boy (Isaiah I think, been a long time) used to be regulars @ our Xmas and New Years eve parties for a good dozen years or so. I flew up from FL to see him one last with one of my sons the week before he passed away. Great person and friend and will always be missed be our family!!!!!

Reaction Score
I think KO and the staff are just going thru their options. We need another ball handler for next year bad
staff seems really proactive, I agree. Gotta love they are hitting the trail hard. I'm sure they will work him out before offering to make sure he is at our level!

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
CJ played against Jalen in prep school in Springfield. CJ scored 16. Jalen 23.

Reaction Score
With the right additions we are going to be playing at this time next year. Shooters with a good handle and quickness are important. We could use one more.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
And what happens if RP gets hurt or in foul trouble. SC Jr is spelling the starters then -> not good. Both Gibs and Omar won't be around.
Like I said, I'm old school, our weakness isn't at the guard position. Now if DHam leaves, sign me up another guard, big man and a partridge in a pear tree.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The amount of UConn fans in here drooling over a JUCO kid theyve never heard about is disappointing to me.

God forbid we want our team to get better by any means necessary.

I can't imagine UCONN-life without Johnnie Selvie. Who know what this kid could be?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
God forbid we want our team to get better by any means necessary.

I can't imagine UCONN-life without Johnnie Selvie. Who know what this kid could be?
How many games did you watch to come to the conclusion he can help us though? Most people are drooling about this kid just because he's visiting. Even if he came here, he's not playing without an injury, he'd basically be another cassell. If he wants to be here, I'd welcome him and root my a ss off for him when he gets burn, but he isn't some hugely important player.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
How many games did you watch to come to the conclusion he can help us though? Most people are drooling about this kid just because he's visiting. Even if he came here, he's not playing without an injury, he'd basically be another cassell. If he wants to be here, I'd welcome him and root my a ss off for him when he gets burn, but he isn't some hugely important player.

How do you know any of that? You've no idea. Neither do I. All I can do is look at his stats and see that he can shoot it.

It's up to KO to determine if he's worth a shot or not. I'm not gonna look down on a kid because he came from JUCO. And just because Sam didn't pan out, doesn't mean this kid won't. They are unrelated.

Reaction Score
The amount of UConn fans in here drooling over a JUCO kid theyve never heard about is disappointing to me.

Silly post. There's no drooling going on in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom