CJ Jackson (Committed to Ohio State) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

CJ Jackson (Committed to Ohio State)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes. And I love AB for that. But it is a coincidence. Had we a better center, we wouldn't have needed that 3 point play.

Look, I love AB, ask Mau. But an weak frontcourt by design is not a good thing.
I remember when we were recruiting Diamond Stone and a bunch of posters didn't want him because of sharing minutes with AB. They wanted another wing.
We are headed in the right direction. But I think next year we are lacking still. Nolan and Miller are gone. And we add Diarra. Don't think anyone is taking Miller's points. I hope Diarra takes his rebounds.

or how about if we slow down Langston Galloway ? Brimah actually played well in that game , halil kanecovic struggled finishing at the cup. The problem was perimeter defense . (Wilson and bembry both went off)

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Looking at his top 4, UConn is obviously the best school. But I guess it depends what he is looking for. Immediate and large amounts of playing time seems to favor both Missouri and New Mexico.
yeah, no way he comes in and plays over adams and purvis for the start... also want gilbert to get a lot of run too

Reaction Score
or how about if we slow down Langston Galloway ? Brimah actually played well in that game , halil kanecovic struggled finishing at the cup. The problem was perimeter defense . (Wilson and bembry both went off)

Bazz also played pretty poorly in that game as well, he had to get his points on volume shooting and took alot of bad shots since he was pressing, he got bailed out by Boat and DD in that game, Nolan had one of his better offensive games of the season, and of course Brimah at the end of regulation. The obsession with the old school posters on this board with post play is like listening to Barkley, I hate to sound like a broken record but for all the talk about our bigs, the guards and wings were pretty terrible in the first 20 minutes of Saturday's game, and it was a recurring theme in other losses as well with either slow starts or wide open layups/jumpers. It would be nice to have complete balance across the board but the higher rated guards/wings need to play up to their talent that they show in flashes.

Reaction Score
@aceboon indeed. Really clownish to suggest "oh if we had a better center in this game" when said center actually was super effective ha. im also certain we made that second half run vs Kansas because of great rim protection...

Reaction Score
Yes. And I love AB for that. But it is a coincidence. Had we a better center, we wouldn't have needed that 3 point play.

Look, I love AB, ask Mau. But an weak frontcourt by design is not a good thing.
I remember when we were recruiting Diamond Stone and a bunch of posters didn't want him because of sharing minutes with AB. They wanted another wing.
We are headed in the right direction. But I think next year we are lacking still. Nolan and Miller are gone. And we add Diarra. Don't think anyone is taking Miller's points. I hope Diarra takes his rebounds.
You think we have a weak frontcourt by design? We were hamstrung with recruiting and had to scramble to get Nolan, Facey and Brimah. We spent a couple of years recruiting Diamond Stone and lost to Under Armour. You are talking out of your arse if you are saying a bunch of posters didn't want Stone and you are talking out of your arse if you think the coaches want a bad frontcourt by design. Brimah is what he is, not good offensively and a poor rebounder for his size but he's one of the best shot blockers in the country and impacts the game mightily on the defensive end. If he was paired with someone like Stone who could score and rebound from the post you and mau wouldn't have much to say because it would be hard to keep blaming Brimah for everything. Amazing you still find a way to blame Brimah in the St. Joe's game when he won it for us.

Reaction Score
From some googling it looks like his father was a high school standout in the Los Angeles area 1 year ahead of KO (went on to play at Georgia). He played his high school ball at a private school, but he lived near Crenshaw. Wonder if they ever crossed paths back in the day.
Even if they never crossed paths, Jackson was teammates with Ben Simmons, Noah D!ckerson, and Jean Christ-Koumadje, so I'm sure KO has seen him play a good amount before he committed to George Mason.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@UConnStats I think Jackson was on the prep team which is seperate from the hs team. He probably did still see him though because the monteverde prep team plays vs nepsac teams in national tourneys

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Unless he's a power forward with game that can bang, don't need or want another guard.

Reaction Score
Unless he's a power forward with game that can bang, don't need or want another guard.
If everyone returns we have 8 forwards (Dham, Larrier, Facey, Enoch, Brimah, Diarra, Durham, Jackson) and 4 guards on next years roster (Purvis, Adams, Gilbert, Cassell Jr.)

I'd like to minimize Cassell's minutes to 5-10 per game, tops. With that said I think a guard who can handle the ball and shoot it is needed more than another forward, IMO.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
If everyone returns we have 8 forwards (Dham, Larrier, Facey, Enoch, Brimah, Diarra, Durham, Jackson) and 4 guards on next years roster (Purvis, Adams, Gilbert, Cassell Jr.)

I'd like to minimize Cassell's minutes to 5-10 per game, tops. With that said I think a guard who can handle the ball and shoot it is needed more than another forward, IMO.
I guess you missed the game in the tournament and some others when our bigs were dominated. I'm sorry, we are fine at guard, bring in a true banger, good ol fashion power forward.

Reaction Score
I guess you missed the game in the tournament and some others when our bigs were dominated. I'm sorry, we are fine at guard, bring in a true banger, good ol fashion power forward.
I guess you missed the first 20 minutes when our guards/wings couldn't get them into an offense because of defensive pressure and basically got Travis Trice'd/Keith Appling'd
Or I guess you missed the Tulsa game when KO even had to admit afterwards that he should've pulled Rodney and DHam for shooting them out of the game
Or the Temple game on the road where Rodney missed countless layups and they couldn't squeeze out a bucket from Gibbs/Purvis/DHam to stem the tide against that Temple run to end the game
Or the home game against Temple where other than some buckets from Rodney in the first 10 minutes our guards couldn't hit
Or the game against Maryland where they fell into a double digit hole in the first half where Rodney didn't show up until around the 30 minute mark, DHam did nothing in the 1st half and had DraftExpres on twitter openly mocking his inability to get a shot off against MD defenders
Or the Gonzaga game where they fell into a 20 point hole in the 1st half and couldn't hit shots or layups
Or the Syracuse game where DHam was hesitant to shoot in the middle of the zone and Rodney missed layups

I didn't see the SMU or Cincy losses so I'll leave those out, but I'm sure they followed a similar pattern. Our guard/wing play was far away from the level where they don't deserve any criticism and all the blame needs to be placed at the feet of the bigs.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
My God, I'm getting beat up!
I have been one of the biggest defenders of Brimah (short of those who had him in the NBA last year). I have argued his worth with Mau.

I don't think the coaching staff is going for a weak frontcourt by design. Unlike some posters here, KO went after Stone and Miller. I understand why we were limited in bigs in 2013 and 2014 and 2015 due to sanctions and the Stone decision added to that.

And when we get/if we get Zach it should be fine with Diarra & Enoch

But next year we have a problem. You can through in all the people that are small forwards that you want. We have Amida, who is limited, Facey & Enoch, who have proven nothing and a freshman. You are saying the addition of Diarra, and the improvement of Enoch will more than compensate for the loss of Miller & Nolan. I would rather take that bet if I don't have to.

I am not anti UConn, anti-coaches or anti-Brimah. Have you ever read my posts?
I said the same thing last year and they got Miller and imagine the past year without him.

Reaction Score
Nah, didn't miss it. Just more bullish on Mamadou Diarra and the development of Enoch than most. I think we'll be okay in the front court with our current pieces/incoming recruits.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
And yet we lose first round in 2014 without Brimah.
Never has a player been given a longer leash for one play than Brimah for that and-1.

I understand the gratitude for the big play moment, but I think it's a mistake to use that play as an excuse to ignore gross inadequacies in his game forever thereafter because of that one play.

Reaction Score
Never has a player been given a longer leash for one play than Brimah for that and-1.

I understand the gratitude for the big play moment, but I think it's a mistake to use that play as an excuse to ignore gross inadequacies in his game forever thereafter because of that one play.

Uconn wouldn't even be in a position to play Kansas if it wasn't for AB coming in vs cincy and saving their collective asses defensively . We had no answer for Ellis or deberry you might recall.

Nobody is ignoring anything , he was #240 coming out of hs and is now listed in draftexpress' 2017 mock draft late in the second round. What is more glaring is a guy like Hamiltons %s when his usage rate is through the roof .

Not trying to backseat moderate but let's all get back to cj Jackson.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Nothing better than a debate on whether to sign a sharp shooting, decent ball handling guard who is on campus over signing an imaginary,
7ft center with the rebounding skills of Moses Malone and the jumper of Pat Ewing. I say we sign the imaginary guy.

Reaction Score

you don't want a guy who puts up those numbers? Come on mannnn, if purvis leaves, this dude will more more than welcome. If he doesn't...I still think there is room for some guard scoring off the pine

Reaction Score

Longer leash? The guy gets put on blast here more than any player in recent memory. We all know his inadequacies as a player it just gets tiresome when people hijack threads to tell us he sucks. For all his inadequacies we are certainly a better with him than without him.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Nah, didn't miss it. Just more bullish on Mamadou Diarra and the development of Enoch than most. I think we'll be okay in the front court with our current pieces/incoming recruits.
Yeah don't disagree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01