Boyle- Update: Transfers to EKU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Doesn't throw a catchable ball...

:oops:

Too many people forget that this is the essence of the quarterback's job. Having size and arm strength means nothing if you can't put your receivers in a position to successfully make a play.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I bet you're ignoring all the drops too. Must have been his fault for hitting a receiver between the numbers.
I remember when he was throwing 20 feet over receivers heads too...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Good luck to him. He is sitting out next year to RS. And playing the following year. From what I am told.

I'm a little confused.

Did you mean Western Kentucky?? If it's Eastern Kentucky (FCS), can't he play right away? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the purpose of his red shirt...

Reaction Score
I'm a little confused.

Did you mean Western Kentucky?? If it's Eastern Kentucky (FCS), can't he play right away? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the purpose of his red shirt...
At EKU he could play right away, but the post you quoted specifically says he is sitting out next season to RS and then he will be eligible for one more season. Thats the way I read it.

Reaction Score
Listen, I agree that he got a raw deal in his time at UConn and I personally don't know Tim Boyle at all but want to preface this by saying that I'm not at all criticizing Boyle as a person in saying this. However, I don't think it's at all rational to explain his performance level as simply the result of mismanagement and a rotating door of coordinators. We've got to face the fact that he is statistically the worst starting QB we've seen don a Husky uniform since moving to division I. Even with all the mismanagement in the world, that doesn't explain a 1:13 touchdown to interception ratio. I think it's difficult to confront and admit that because fans like him and he's just a kid, but it's just the truth...he was really, really bad. Again, with all of that being said, I wish Tim Boyle the best at a different level of football and of course wish him the best in whatever career he pursues. Character wise, he's always been a good fit on the team, I just don't think that means we should totally ignore the eye-popping 1-13 ratio.

Well said. Seems to be a great kid but the fact is he was the 3rd best QB on the worst UConn teams ever ('13/'14). Regardless of Whitmer/Cochran moving on, this was never going to be his team. QB is a position where everyone in the room wants to be "the guy" so you can't blame him for moving on considering the writing is on the wall. Wish him best of luck going forward.

Reaction Score
I'm a little confused.

I asked that question too. Its eastern from what I heard. It could have to do with just giving him a year in the system to allow him to perform better. They may also have a senior returning QB, don't know? But I said the same thing.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Thank you, Tim.

You always did what was asked of you, even when it wasn't fair. That shows the markings of a true team player and a solid young man.

Move on and do great things in football and in life. I'll be following your next steps and will always be a Tim Boyle fan.

8941676.jpg

Nov 21, 2015; East Hartford, CT, USA; Connecticut Huskies quarterback Tim Boyle (14) celebrates with his teammates after defeating the Houston Cougars at Rentschler Field. UConn defeated the Houston Cougars 20-17. Mandatory Credit: David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports

PWS

Reaction Score

Best of Luck to Tim, EKU maybe a fit football-wise, but I hope he takes his time and chooses wisely. There are a lot of excellent FBS schools that w love to have him. & where you graduate from stays w you the rest of your life.

Reaction Score
You know, I never felt that we got less than Tim's best effort. I sincerely wish him the very best.

He more than managed the Houston game, in what could be one of the most important wins in our history moving forward. The pass to Anderson, almost intercepted or not, may be his legacy at UConn. I like to look at it this way....because of his talent the ball made it to Anderson, and a lesser throw would have been intercepted.

His managing that game got us bowling again and could be the reason we get back to winning championships. That's how I'll remember him. Good luck Tim.

Reaction Score
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2016/01/quarterback-tim-boyle-to-transfer-from.html

>>"Every kid wants to play and he wants to play pretty bad," Marinan said. "He has a lot of ability so maybe he should have made this move a year or two ago but I hope it works out for him.

"He thought he was going to compete, they were having him compete and it didn't work out one way or the other. After the Temple game they moved him down the depth chart (Garrett Anderson served as UConn's second-string quarterback during the practices in Clearwater, Fla. heading into the St. Petersburg Bowl) so the writing was on the wall. He is a competitor and he wants to play."

Marinan said that UConn coach Bob Diaco has been very helpful during this process. Marinan has been contacting coaches on Boyle's behalf and Boyle reached out to some of his former coaches at UConn. Shane Day, recently hired as the tight ends coach of the Miami Dolphins, had a connection to the staff at Eastern Kentucky leading to Boyle taking a visit there.

"He has one year of eligibility and fortunately he still has the redshirt year so hopefully that will work out," Marinan said. "You have to find a school to pay two (years) to get one. I've talked to a number of schools and they are not willing to do that. He'll keep pulling along and see if something works out for him.<<

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's what I thought. It wasn't what I took from Whaler's post.

If you are transferring to FCS - graduation does not matter.

If like Boyle you have played three years without a redshirt: you can transfer to FCS and play or you can transfer to FCS and redshirt then play.

If Boyle wanted to transfer to FBS he could redshirt and play.

I don't know if you graduate in three years if you can transfer to FBS and play immediately. I had a feeling the answer is no and I figure Marinan is talking FBS when he is saying pay 2 years to get one.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
A great young man, he worked hard for the team.

He can have great pride in taking the role he was given, and working at it. When his number was called he stepped up.

I respect him and hope that he does well wherever his path takes him.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If you are transferring to FCS - graduation does not matter.

If like Boyle you have played three years without a redshirt: you can transfer to FCS and play or you can transfer to FCS and redshirt then play.

If Boyle wanted to transfer to FBS he could redshirt and play.

I don't know if you graduate in three years if you can transfer to FBS and play immediately. I had a feeling the answer is no and I figure Marinan is talking FBS when he is saying pay 2 years to get one.

That just leads me to believe that Boyle is not on pace to graduate in May so in his case, the answer to the question is moot.

I think HartfordHank answered the underlying question.

He did not deserve the vitriol some on this board held for him.
I disagree with this. I don't think anyone had vitriol for Boyle, per se. There is such a thing as criticizing a player, while being ambivalent at worst about the person. There are some here who continue to say that these are just kids and while agree to a point, at what time do they cease being kids and become young adults? The State of Connecticut says 18. The Penal code says even earlier for certain crimes. The bars and liquor stores say 21. At what point are college fans allowed to separate the player from the person?

I think there is a Peter Principle at work here (and let's be honest, its at work wherever there is recruiting of any kind). As a football player, I think Boyle has reached his ceiling and that ceiling may very well not be high enough for FBS college football (whether his ceiling was lowered through no fault of his own is not at play here). It's not a bad thing if FCS is more fitting. I don't think Boyle thinks he is playing football at the next level. I don't think Boyle thinks Boyle is playing football at the next level. However, while he still has the chops that will allow him to earn a free college education, I think Boyle just as well assumes to compete between the lines than outside them. Given he's reached out to Shane Day, coaching may very well be in his future.

Reaction Score
Are you serious??? So dropped balls accounts for 1 touchdown in 275 passing attempts? For 48% completion rate? Pretty sure the receivers Cochran and Whitmer threw the ball too didn't just disappear once Boyle stepped on the field. That's not to say that Cochran or Boyle were Joe Montana reincarnate, but they produced far better numbers with the same receivers as Boyle.
Just pointing out how flawed picking 1 statistic to base a judgement on can be. If he's leaving you don't need to kick him on the way out.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
He's been reaching out to PP and GDL for connections....just kidding.

Reaction Score
Tough break for this kid. Wish him well in His future.

One thing that will help ALL of our QBs going fwd us a compitent OL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom