Boyle- Update: Transfers to EKU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boyle- Update: Transfers to EKU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1 Td 13 Int in 3 years...Goodluck Mr. Boyle

The 1 TD was a 3 yard screen pass that Newsome took 39 yards for a touchdown

Some NFL QBs thrown into the fire have done worse. Not that he's an NFL QB, but the fact is, you do a big disservice to these kids throwing them into the fire.

One reason for all the poor QB play in the NFL is the immediate gratification expected by QBs in college. The best QBs used to wait until their junior year.

Look at Johnny Manziel. Never seasoned.

Reaction Score
Some NFL QBs thrown into the fire have done worse. Not that he's an NFL QB, but the fact is, you do a big disservice to these kids throwing them into the fire.

One reason for all the poor QB play in the NFL is the immediate gratification expected by QBs in college. The best QBs used to wait until their junior year.

Look at Johnny Manziel. Never seasoned.
The cap forces teams to play qb's long before they are ready to play. Drafting a QB high, then giving him 3 seasons to become NFL ready, is long gone.

Reaction Score
The cap forces teams to play qb's long before they are ready to play. Drafting a QB high, then giving him 3 seasons to become NFL ready, is long gone.

I'm talking about getting rushed in college, not the NFL.

I don't think it's a cap problem at all since rookie contracts are so low.

I think that most college QBs haven't had good coaching so they can't handle the NFL. They have been rushed into things.

Look at Hackenberg at PSU. Yes, he was rushed. But he had an excellent coach. His best season was his freshman year. Imagine if he had his current coaches his freshman year. No one would even know he has any potential at all.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He would have to redshirt. Won't ve allowed.
I was under the impression that graduate transfer status hinged on graduation, not how many years a player spent at one school or another. It is possible for a student, even a student athlete, to earn their degree in 3 years.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was under the impression that graduate transfer status hinged on graduation, not how many years a player spent at one school or another. It is possible for a student, even a student athlete, to earn their degree in 3 years.

If matters how many years he's played to determine how many years he's got left. Since we are talking about FCS schools he doesn't need a rule anyway - he can transfer and sit and transfer and play.

Husky25

Reaction Score
That doesn't really clear it up for me...

Hypothetically, if a true junior, athletic eligibility-wise, were to graduate academically immediately following his Junior year (See: Okafor, Emeka), and wanted to play at a Div 1A level for his 4th year, what prevents him from classifying as a graduate transfer and playing immediately?

Reaction Score
That doesn't really clear it up for me...

Hypothetically, if a true junior, athletic eligibility-wise, were to graduate academically immediately following his Junior year (See: Okafor, Emeka), and wanted to play at a Div 1A level for his 4th year, what prevents him from classifying as a graduate transfer and playing immediately?

If you earned the degree you can transfer without sitting out a year! If you redshirted you actually could have two years of eligibility.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If you earned the degree you can transfer without sitting out a year! If you redshirted you actually could have two years of eligibility.
That's what I thought. It wasn't what I took from Whaler's post.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I am hearing that he is transferring after the year, which makes sense for him. He needs to go to a school that he can be a pocket passer and run out of a spread offense imho.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't we have a rule against speculating about transfers? It may be nothing. Wait for announcement to happen or not.

Reaction Score
Don't we have a rule against speculating about transfers? It may be nothing. Wait for announcement to happen or not.
It's not speculation, he's gone.

Reaction Score
Here is my take on Tim Boyle...I think he got screwed by being put in as a true freshman and not allowed to redshirt and develop. Being CT born and bred I will bleed UConn blue till the day I die...I also root for any kid that moves on to continue his/her athletic career no matter what school they attend. Is there disappointment if they don't choose to play a sport at UConn...sure. But at the end of the day they're from CT...heck @Dooley has numbers of CT HS kids that have got on to the NFL in his GREAT collection of data that he came up with...and you root for them. The class Tim Boyle has shown while a student athlete at UConn is IMHO pretty amazing. This is a kid that has gone through 3 offensive coordinator's and technically 3 head coaches. If he is choosing to leave UConn to continue his career at another school...I'll be following him on twitter rooting him on every step of the way.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If he decides to move on elsewhere, I wish him nothing but the best. If this tweet is nothing but an observation that he made while watching the entrance at a nearby mall, then this might be the funniest tweet ever.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Here is my take on Tim Boyle...I think he got screwed by being put in as a true freshman and not allowed to redshirt and develop. Being CT born and bred I will bleed UConn blue till the day I die...I also root for any kid that moves on to continue his/her athletic career no matter what school they attend. Is there disappointment if they don't choose to play a sport at UConn...sure. But at the end of the day they're from CT...heck @Dooley has numbers of CT HS kids that have got on to the NFL in his GREAT collection of data that he came up with...and you root for them. The class Tim Boyle has shown while a student athlete at UConn is IMHO pretty amazing. This is a kid that has gone through 3 offensive coordinator's and technically 3 head coaches. If he is choosing to leave UConn to continue his career at another school...I'll be following him on twitter rooting him on every step of the way.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If he thinks the best thing for him is to move on, I support him. If he wants to continue his education and football career at UConn, I support him. There is no question he has struggled mightily and most of that is from how he was handled as a true FR under PP and TJ Weist. He's had a new OC every year and now is going to have a new QB coach next year. Maybe the best thing for him is to get a fresh start somewhere else. I can see him going to Towson and flourishing at that level.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Agreed. It really felt like he has so much baggage at UConn, it makes sense to get a fresh start. His growth and development was stunted at UConn and it felt like it was very difficult for him to get his confidence back. It really sucks because it felt like there was talent there.

But...i have to admit...it got so bad with Boyle running the offense that I was hoping for Anderson or the wildcat instead of sending Boyle out to replace Sheriffs.

Sounds like this would be the best outcome for both Boyle and UConn. I hope he goes somewhere else and kicks ass.

Reaction Score
Did he graduate? How is Eastern Kentucky as an academic school. Would hate for him not to have his degree from uconn.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Listen, I agree that he got a raw deal in his time at UConn and I personally don't know Tim Boyle at all but want to preface this by saying that I'm not at all criticizing Boyle as a person in saying this. However, I don't think it's at all rational to explain his performance level as simply the result of mismanagement and a rotating door of coordinators. We've got to face the fact that he is statistically the worst starting QB we've seen don a Husky uniform since moving to division I. Even with all the mismanagement in the world, that doesn't explain a 1:13 touchdown to interception ratio. I think it's difficult to confront and admit that because fans like him and he's just a kid, but it's just the truth...he was really, really bad. Again, with all of that being said, I wish Tim Boyle the best at a different level of football and of course wish him the best in whatever career he pursues. Character wise, he's always been a good fit on the team, I just don't think that means we should totally ignore the eye-popping 1-13 ratio.

Reaction Score
Listen, I agree that he got a raw deal in his time at UConn and I personally don't know Tim Boyle at all but want to preface this by saying that I'm not at all criticizing Boyle as a person in saying this. However, I don't think it's at all rational to explain his performance level as simply the result of mismanagement and a rotating door of coordinators. We've got to face the fact that he is statistically the worst starting QB we've seen don a Husky uniform since moving to division I. Even with all the mismanagement in the world, that doesn't explain a 1:13 touchdown to interception ratio. I think it's difficult to confront and admit that because fans like him and he's just a kid, but it's just the truth...he was really, really bad. Again, with all of that being said, I wish Tim Boyle the best at a different level of football and of course wish him the best in whatever career he pursues. Character wise, he's always been a good fit on the team, I just don't think that means we should totally ignore the eye-popping 1-13 ratio.
I bet you're ignoring all the drops too. Must have been his fault for hitting a receiver between the numbers.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I bet you're ignoring all the drops too. Must have been his fault for hitting a receiver between the numbers.

Are you serious??? So dropped balls accounts for 1 touchdown in 275 passing attempts? For 48% completion rate? Pretty sure the receivers Cochran and Whitmer threw the ball too didn't just disappear once Boyle stepped on the field. That's not to say that Cochran or Boyle were Joe Montana reincarnate, but they produced far better numbers with the same receivers as Boyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom