Boyle is horrible | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Boyle is horrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is really an embarrassing thread to post after Boyle's first game as a freshman. He clearly has a good arm, did make some good decisions and is pretty mobile. It's obviously a work-in-progress and he needs to learn, as do all freshman, especially QB's. Seemed like his ball got on the receivers quicker than they're used to. In a couple of instances, the receivers didn't even have time to get their hands in the proper position to catch the ball before it was there. Offensive line and the running game were clearly improved. Need to work on balancing with the pass game and also in-game adjustments, will see what next week holds......

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who wasn't ready to throw in the towel on this year??

I hope not. I am never in the mind that you throw in the towel when things look bleak. You keep fighting on. thats a losers point of view which brings exactly that. LOSING. You may lose, but you fight to win. Your best is all that can be asked for. This...Well...Wait til next year and see what happens is mind numbing.

Reaction Score
15-43 isn't even good in basketball, art.

The more you post, the more you prove your lack of FB knowledge. How Boyle did yesterday had absolutely nothing to do with his numbers. I mean nothing. Anyone with a football IQ over 70 knows that.

Reaction Score
The more you post, the more you prove your lack of FB knowledge. How Boyle did yesterday had absolutely nothing to do with his numbers. I mean nothing. Anyone with a football IQ over 70 knows that.
You give him too much credit ..an IQ speaks to 'intelligence'...enough said.

C

Chief00

Besides catching the ball when it hits their hands receivers need to keep working now that we have a mobile QB who can buy time. I saw a few plays that they stopped working to get open.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Uconn got more rushing yards against USF than they had in the prior 4 games combined. 149 yards passing was the worst passing number of the year, and 10 points is the lowest point total of the season. Who knows what Whitmer would have done with the protection or running game that we had on Saturday, but we need to stop acting like Boyle set the world on fire.

Reaction Score
Boyle wasn't horrible, but to claim as some do that he is the next big thing is just silly. If you want to rank his performance you can say it was fine, it was ok, it was even hopeful, but it wasn't good. He passed for less than 150 yards. He missed on 2/3 of his passes. A competent secondary would have picked at least a couple (I have noted that the Palatine rule is being invoked by some posters...if you like the quarterback dropped INTs don't count. If you want a different quarterback, they do) He was high all day long, not as Dez suggested in today's Courant just in the early going. That will lead to picks against a competent set of d-backs. The drops were bad, but they weren't on the money throws, either. Receivers need to make tough catches sometimes and ours didn't. That's a problem, too. But he also made it tougher on them than it should have been. My own view is that while he showed some signs, he would have been better off had he continued to redshirt. He clearly wasn't ready to play at this level yet. No shame in that. it is just a fact. No sense worrying about the redshirt now, though. It's gone. What I think will be interesting from here on will be how much leeway he gets if he has a bad game.

Reaction Score
Uconn got more rushing yards against USF than they had in the prior 4 games combined. 149 yards passing was the worst passing number of the year, and 10 points is the lowest point total of the season. Who knows what Whitmer would have done with the protection or running game that we had on Saturday, but we need to stop acting like Boyle set the world on fire.

Boyle threw three TD passes. All were dropped. And if we catch those who know how many we score?

And did you see Boyle's feet? He had a 19 yard scramble and a couple of other nice runs. He moved better than CW.

Finally, he threw no INTs.

He may not have have set the world on fire but it was the best QB play we have seen in a while. If he had received help in the passing game, his might have been a blow out.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
If you think Boyle is not ready to play, then we shouldn't have burned the redshirt when there are 2 QB's on the roster with experience that could benefit from improved oline play.

If you think Boyle will be the program savior, then we shouldn't have burned the redshirt in the middle of a lost season with an interim coach.

In other words, we shouldn't have burned the redshirt.

I don't think you and I place the same value on this precious redshirt. Playing in this game did more for Boyle than an entire season of practice likely could. I liked the talent a lot, and am thrilled that he will be starting next year with 5 starts under his belt. Think of it this way, he is getting the perfect opportunity to prepare in live games with no risk. Season is lost, he can have his growing pains and be ready to rock for the next 3 years.

Reaction Score
Is there any way the mods can change what may be the worst thread title in the history of this board? not saying TB is Orlovsky yet but he certainly showed Saturday he has the tools to be. Seen a lot of "horrible" things the last 2 1/2 years, Tim Boyle not even close to the top 100 horribles

Reaction Score
I think that I just got a little too excited with the Boyle hype and overreacted in saying he is horrible after the game. I watched a replay of the game. Tough loss, when the defense plays so well, the other qb is horrible, and the running game is excellent. I have been looking forward to the game for two weeks and honestly, still had not given up on the season. However, after today reality sinks in.

Yes, one can say that Boyle lost the game, but at the same time, it isn't fair to blame him, he's a true freshman and he was thrown into the fire. Alot of his passes were high, which is probably nerves. So he should improve, he does have a good arm, decent mobility and very good size. He looks more like a D 1 qb than Whitmer.

However, the schedule is going to get tougher, Cincinnati, Louisville, UCF. If he can go to Cincinnati and play decent improve, from game to game then it was good to burn the red-shirt. If he gets shell shocked and it hurts his confidence, then maybe it might have been better to have given had him a year to redshirt. The question is whether Boyle gives the best chance to win Now.

I found myself after the game think whether Cochran, Whitmer or even Taylor ( due to read-option) should get some time. Obviously, I am not sure where to go from here. But Weist put himself in a bad situation starting Boyle because he's going to take alot of criticism is he doesn't let Boyle stay in there. Yet at the same time he has a mandate to win now, or he won't see 2014, at least not as HC.
All sobered up ... making some sense now . . . maybe lay off the booze for a couple days . . .

Reaction Score
Boyle played pretty awful. I'm sorry, but USF is one of the worst teams in the country and I wasn't impressed at all. I was at the game, will continue going to the games, but he was not good today. It was his first start, so ultimately, that's fine, but I don't want to sit here and read about how good he looked today.

Again, not killing Boyle, as it was his first start.

I'm just saying the people that are being critical are far less in the wrong than these people proclaiming boyle to be the savior.
Disagree. I thought he looked real good. I thought he got a couple of real bad breaks: Foxx not being able to maneuver himself to make not one but two makeable catches; Turner letting a touch go through his hands; Bennett not holding onto that fumble; us not making that int on D - the whole tempo of the game was against him. Should have had a W there, and Tim Boyle was at the very least a refreshing cause for optimism on this Titanic of a season.

Reaction Score
Is there any way the mods can change what may be the worst thread title in the history of this board? not saying TB is Orlovsky yet but he certainly showed Saturday he has the tools to be. Seen a lot of "horrible" things the last 2 1/2 years, Tim Boyle not even close to the top 100 horribles
The poster has psychiatric issues. Can't you tell by his avatar?

What would really scare me (if I was a member of UConn's athletic department in any way) is having nelsonmuntz stalk me.

Reaction Score

Boyle was a huge part of the running game improvement, he gives us something we haven't had since Lorenzen which makes the inside handoff much more effective. If you don't know that you don't know football.

Boyle also helped improve the pass protection by showing a great awareness of oncoming rushers, something we haven't had since Zach.

We were inches (literally) away from a big win. I saw that game as a huge step forward.

The program is on the upswing again so please forgive us fans who choose to be giddy about it, it's been a while.

Reaction Score
If Whitmer had 5 potential INTs dropped he would have written "He should have had 7 INTs" Palantine Rule.
Those potential INTs came with the Huskies having to pass in desperation mode. Game situations matter. He put his team in a position to score numerous TDs. The team didn't take advantage. Don't blame the kid.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Those potential INTs came with the Huskies having to pass in desperation mode. Game situations matter. He put his team in a position to score numerous TDs. The team didn't take advantage. Don't blame the kid.

At most you can only give him a ding for one of the potential INTs. Anyone of them and the game is instantly over.

So, unless, USF got the INT, fumbled in victory formation, Boyle threw another INT, .....repeat..... - he would have had 1 INT max.

Reaction Score

Covered this in another thread. Without the 7 drops these are Boyle's numbers:

7 for 112 yards 22/45 266 yards 3 Passing TD's 28 total points scored and we win even with the fumble, missed fg and their wr catching a ball in the end zone.

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/a-different-take-on-the-numbers.45472/

Holding on to the 149 yards passing stat means you either didn't watch the game or have some axe to grind so you choose to be a ding-a-ling on this subject. Why?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
But those passes weren't caught, and Whitmer played all season with Deleone's idiotic blocking schemes. So there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom