Boyle is horrible | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Boyle is horrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Boyle looked much better than I thought he would. I was against starting him because he was a true freshman. But when I saw him throw that ball (and he throws better than 90% of college starting QBs) I realized it was the right decision to play him. He is going to benefit from playing now, and the dividends will pay off.

True frosh QB are never going to look pretty even under the best circumstances. It doesn't happen. I've been watching Christian Hackenberg at PSU this year, and they are over the top psyched about the kid (as they should be) but he too is having trouble checking down, converting 3rd downs, completing more than 50% of his passes. But he has command of the offense. This is Boyle's first time out. He will improve. Especially with some targets out there. I'm sorry, but John Green and Deshon Foxx are not the targets they will hopefully become. Abrams looks a bit discombobulated.

This offense was hurting today because of its young QB and the lack of targets, but it was a good decision to start Boyle. You could tell his height alone gave him presence in the pocket, he actually stepped up on rushes and stayed away from the awful sacks Whitmer regularly took.

I liked what I saw.

He will improve.

UConn got a good one.

Agree. Boyle will be the best QB since Dan O.

Reaction Score
These types of comments from the same people who said that Whitmer was the best QB since Danny O. Lets pick up on this conversation in 4 weeks.

LOL 134 posts and 15 of them are in this thread. You are a moron.

I was at the game, as usual in section 219. A few things:

1. We really liked Boyles demeanor, the way he presents himself. Even through the drops he FELT dangerous and confident up in the stands.

2. Lets be deadly honest: the receivers dropped(by my count) 8 VERRRRY catchable passes for at least 125 yards. They catch those passes and Boyle isn't chuckin' and duckin' late in the 4th quarter. He's handing off and preserving a lead. If the guys even catch six of those as catches and his line is more like 18-32, 250. Not sure you would have morons like this jumping on a message board to badmouth a kid in his first start. Or actually you would cuz these guys are idiots.

3. He was running NO HUDDLE 2 Min drill his first start as a true freshman. And outside of a TJ Weist timeout brainfart, had led the boys to midfield. Again, he was dangerous. That's all you want to see from someone in his first start.

4. He made, for the most part, pretty duckin good decisions. unbelievably good sign.

5. His Mobility is a HUGE plus. As he learns when to use that weapon in the future, alot of those 3rd and 2's will be converted on broken plays/qb draws.

6. It is striking how much bigger he was and how clearly he could read coverage better than CW. And no throws were getting tipped.

7. Once he realizes that his best three targets are single-covered Geremy Davis, Double-Covered Geremy Davis, and McQuillan in that order, he will be much better. And Deshon Foxx as WR should be nixed. I mean, that was entirely embarrassing on a thousand levels.

I am all in on Boyle. I was looking to see if he could make plays(check), if he played with poise(check WAY up), and overall bring a presence to this team(check). Yes, the numbers look ugly, but in time the pieces are there to be a great field general.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If you think Boyle is not ready to play, then we shouldn't have burned the redshirt when there are 2 QB's on the roster with experience that could benefit from improved oline play.

If you think Boyle will be the program savior, then we shouldn't have burned the redshirt in the middle of a lost season with an interim coach.

In other words, we shouldn't have burned the redshirt.

Reaction Score
Boyle's stats
15-43 149 yards. 3.5 yards an attempt, fumble returned for a touchdown.

9 rushes for 12 yards

running game (excluding boyle)

28 rushes 195 yards 1 td 6.9 yards a rush

Lyle McCombs runs for a career high 164 yards.

offensive production 10 points with a net of 3 points ( due to the 7 points USF defense scored).

I need one of you geniuses to explain this.

Should have run more. Are you under the impression that Boyle was calling the plays?

Reaction Score
Some people are being too hard on Boyle. Dan Orlovsky as a Freshman wasn't the Dan Orlosky people came to know. And it was experience that made him the player he became. In comparing the two, Boyle did pretty well for his first game as a true freshmen—two weeks removed from major program changes.

Could Whitmer have won the game as some suggest? Maybe, maybe not. He's probably the better QB today, but his issue is that he gives away as much he gives. A higher throwing percentage when combined with 6 sacks, a fumble and 2 pick sixes's always puts a win at risk.

For most of the game, Boyle was fairly poised considering his age. He showed some mobility. He also avoided bad decisions (at least until the very end of the game).

At this point, UCONN is better served to invest in the future than worry about 4 wins versus 3. Play him and look for continued improvement. I saw potential today.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Nebrich never got a shot like this kid's getting. On the radio post-game Boyle said he played well. He must be drinking the same stuff Eli Manning is. Wouldn't it be refreshing once in a while to hear a player say "I sucked today. This loss is on me. I need to play a lot better." There's no accountability any more. The analysts and coach said he wasn't as bad as the numbers because 6 or 7 passes should have been caught. Can't that be said after nearly every game anywhere? Ok, give him six more completions and he'd have been 21 of 43, under 50%, and still bad.

Reaction Score
Boyle's stats

9 rushes for 12 yards

offensive production 10 points with a net of 3 points ( due to the 7 points USF defense scored).

So you want to put this guy back in?

I give him credit he has guts and he is better than j. mac. But he has no athleticism, a weak arm, he throws to many picks, doesn't read defenses that well and he gets flustered in the pocket with happy feet. Its hard to win with this guy. Oh I forgot he's short also.

There is no upside to playing him

Hmmm...wonder who said that?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Boyle looked like a true freshman playing in his first game out there today.

The Boneyard considers that unacceptable. They want the guy who plays like he's nailed to the field and throws interceptions like he's a Pez dispenser because 'he gives us a better chance of winning'.

Reaction Score
If you think Boyle is not ready to play, then we shouldn't have burned the redshirt when there are 2 QB's on the roster with experience that could benefit from improved oline play.

If you think Boyle will be the program savior, then we shouldn't have burned the redshirt in the middle of a lost season with an interim coach.

Do you see TB hanging in for a 5th year if he started 3 years and had the credits to graduate or pro interest? Not so sure. Don't get me wrong I wanted to give Casey a shot and keep Tim from taking some shots he barely avoided today. But what's done is done and he's on the fast learning curve now. But he has the tools

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
This team is what it's record says it is. It's just a bad football team. Good teams find ways to win, bad teams ways to lose. We've lost in just about every way possible this season. It's not a coincidence.

Reaction Score

Tell me more about how uconn should drop its football program

Reaction Score
The BY football IQ is at an all time low. More idiots move in and more rational posters stay away.

For you folks who don't like what you saw today. I've got bad news for you. There's more coming. I have no problem supporting the team now that PPGDL is gone.

You want to be critical? Fine....but give it a rest after you do. Whether you are just some drunkin' kid or an angry old man, don't flatter yourself and think you have a clue. You don't.

As a matter of fact....just go the duckk away. It's going to be a tough year...maybe 2...get used to it...or again...get the duckk out.

Reaction Score
This team is what it's record says it is. It's just a bad football team. Good teams find ways to win, bad teams ways to lose. We've lost in just about every way possible this season. It's not a coincidence.

You've told us this 3 duckcking times. Now shut the duckk up.

Reaction Score
Boyle's stats
Do many dropped passes did you watch the game?

9 rushes for 12 yards
Yes behind a line that has been so spectacular all season. I could not imagine a few sacks killing that stat

offensive production 10 points with a net of 3 points ( due to the 7 points USF defense

And you don't have to call us geniuses feel free to just to refer to us as people who have watched more than a couple of college football games in our lifetime.

Reaction Score
“@NoEscalators: Also, congrats to The Boneyard on the 60-post "BOYLE IS HORRIBLE" thread. Thought that might take a few more weeks. Boneyard Gonna Boneyard.”

LOL

Who is that?

Reaction Score
So you want to put this guy back in?

Hmmm...wonder who said that?

I think that I just got a little too excited with the Boyle hype and overreacted in saying he is horrible after the game. I watched a replay of the game. Tough loss, when the defense plays so well, the other qb is horrible, and the running game is excellent. I have been looking forward to the game for two weeks and honestly, still had not given up on the season. However, after today reality sinks in.

Yes, one can say that Boyle lost the game, but at the same time, it isn't fair to blame him, he's a true freshman and he was thrown into the fire. Alot of his passes were high, which is probably nerves. So he should improve, he does have a good arm, decent mobility and very good size. He looks more like a D 1 qb than Whitmer.

However, the schedule is going to get tougher, Cincinnati, Louisville, UCF. If he can go to Cincinnati and play decent improve, from game to game then it was good to burn the red-shirt. If he gets shell shocked and it hurts his confidence, then maybe it might have been better to have given had him a year to redshirt. The question is whether Boyle gives the best chance to win Now.

I found myself after the game think whether Cochran, Whitmer or even Taylor ( due to read-option) should get some time. Obviously, I am not sure where to go from here. But Weist put himself in a bad situation starting Boyle because he's going to take alot of criticism is he doesn't let Boyle stay in there. Yet at the same time he has a mandate to win now, or he won't see 2014, at least not as HC.

Reaction Score
really so why didn't those touchdowns count, foxx beat his man by seven yards and he overthrew him, he had 28 in-completions today and you can;t blame all of those on drops, now imagine, he was at home, the defense played well, and they ran the ball really well, whats going to happen when he goes on the road or if the they can;t run the ball.

Dude. Are you just ticked off at another loss? I am, but I've got a realistic grasp on this team and what it is now after today. Foxx was overthrown on that ball, and it would have been a great catch, but he got his hands on it, and several others that hit the grass, hit the hands.. He was not sound in his mechanics, and he got damn lucky he wasn't picked at the end of the game - several times.

He also showed the ability to get first downs, instead of take sacks, and make terrible reads and throws.

Simple question - is Tim Boyle the reason we lost today? I can say ----- without hesitation ----- NO. He played like a freshmen. If he plays the way he did today, a year from now - then I agree with you. Dan Orlovsky's mechanics were crap too. THey were crap when he got to the NFL too. It took him years to get his footwork going well.

No - we lost today, because our wide open TE in the endzone dropped a gimme TD pass that hit him in the hands. Our WALK ON SENIOR TE, who's only depth behind him is VERY young, and also dropped balls that hit him in the hands, and our receiver that was able to get open all day, is a converted running back, who was far down the depth chart, and he dropped the.

Reaction Score
I found myself after the game think whether Cochran, Whitmer or even Taylor ( due to read-option) should get some time.

The more speak the more you show your general lack of football knowledge. Stop while you're behind.

Reaction Score
I think that I just got a little too excited with the Boyle hype and overreacted in saying he is horrible after the game. I watched a replay of the game. Tough loss, when the defense plays so well, the other qb is horrible, and the running game is excellent. I have been looking forward to the game for two weeks and honestly, still had not given up on the season. However, after today reality sinks in.

Yes, one can say that Boyle lost the game, but at the same time, it isn't fair to blame him, he's a true freshman and he was thrown into the fire. Alot of his passes were high, which is probably nerves. So he should improve, he does have a good arm, decent mobility and very good size. He looks more like a D 1 qb than Whitmer.

However, the schedule is going to get tougher, Cincinnati, Louisville, UCF. If he can go to Cincinnati and play decent improve, from game to game then it was good to burn the red-shirt. If he gets shell shocked and it hurts his confidence, then maybe it might have been better to have given had him a year to redshirt. The question is whether Boyle gives the best chance to win Now.

I found myself after the game think whether Cochran, Whitmer or even Taylor ( due to read-option) should get some time. Obviously, I am not sure where to go from here. But Weist put himself in a bad situation starting Boyle because he's going to take alot of criticism is he doesn't let Boyle stay in there. Yet at the same time he has a mandate to win now, or he won't see 2014, at least not as HC.

I knew it - I wrote what I did just now before I got to this. You were just steamed at another loss. It's ok. I hit my own pressure release valve a few hours ago.

Reaction Score
Boyle was not horrible today. I don't think Boyle would have put those passes up for grabs in the 4th quarter if Parker and Foxx didn't drop passes earlier. Boyle's mobility is certainly an upgrade from CW.

Reaction Score
FWIW: I can sympathize/empathize with the confusion/frustration/anger that comes across from huskynation. I felt it today. It was palpable in the air. We didn't score enough points when we had the opportunities early in the game, and the game was slipping away. IT's happened A LOT.

All I can say - is that I think our younger players on this roster, are much more talented than our older players, in many places, and we don't have enough playmakers. It's that simple.

What it comes down to folks - is recruiting. We are seeing now, and will for the rest of the season, now that the P and D show is gone, we are witnessing the fall of recruiting that happened with Randy Edsall. THe sooner you embrace it and realize it, the easier it is to cheer for this 2013 team.

They are working their butts off now, and giving all they got, and they don't have the albatross anymore.

We are just sorely lacking in playmakers. Great players make great plays. That's how the saying goes. DO they have the potential the guys now?

Depends on how hard they work from here on out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom