Boyle is horrible | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boyle is horrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not gonna crucify the kid, but losing to probably the second worst team in the country in your first start isn't a good look. It wasn't a "great effort". It didn't show that great things are on the horizon. It's ok to admit that.

If Boyle was ready to start, he probably should've beaten that dumpster fire of a football team.

So Boyle needs to throw AND catch it? Your knowledge of football is deep.

Reaction Score
Boyle looked much better than I thought he would. I was against starting him because he was a true freshman. But when I saw him throw that ball (and he throws better than 90% of college starting QBs) I realized it was the right decision to play him. He is going to benefit from playing now, and the dividends will pay off.

True frosh QB are never going to look pretty even under the best circumstances. It doesn't happen. I've been watching Christian Hackenberg at PSU this year, and they are over the top psyched about the kid (as they should be) but he too is having trouble checking down, converting 3rd downs, completing more than 50% of his passes. But he has command of the offense. This is Boyle's first time out. He will improve. Especially with some targets out there. I'm sorry, but John Green and Deshon Foxx are not the targets they will hopefully become. Abrams looks a bit discombobulated.

This offense was hurting today because of its young QB and the lack of targets, but it was a good decision to start Boyle. You could tell his height alone gave him presence in the pocket, he actually stepped up on rushes and stayed away from the awful sacks Whitmer regularly took.

I liked what I saw.

He will improve.

UConn got a good one.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Not impressed with him, he needs alot of work, should have redshirted. He had bad footwork, wasn't stepping into his throws, erratic throws, was having trouble reading coverage, and for a guy that's 6'4'' he holds the ball too low.

15 of 43 149 yards, and he should have had 5 picks.

Another fair weather fan who misses the the drops, especially the touchdowns drop

Reaction Score
kid has an arm. it seemed like davis was the only one who could catch.
really miss having shakim on the field.

he seems to have the physical skills. time and experience will really help.
I think he has the potential.

opening post is kind of dick-ish to suggest the kid is horrible after one game.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Should have saved the redshirt. I think he will be good, but I thought that before today. The running game and defense played well against a bad team, at home, and Boyle still loked like he didn't belong on the field.

Reaction Score
Should have saved the redshirt. I think he will be good, but I thought that before today. The running game and defense played well against a bad team, at home, and Boyle still loked like he didn't belong on the field.

He had a bad game, but I never had the feeling he looked like he didn't belong on the field. I have no problem with them burning the redshirt. It will give him invaluable game experience going into next year.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Not impressed with him, he needs alot of work, should have redshirted. He had bad footwork, wasn't stepping into his throws, erratic throws, was having trouble reading coverage, and for a guy that's 6'4'' he holds the ball too low.

And yet he was still a better option than CW. he's also a freshman, give him time. Ill give you a pass on this post and not rip in to you like other posters as you clearly are 11 years old, drunk or just of limited intelligence

Reaction Score
And yet he was still a better option than CW. he's also a freshman, give him time. Ill give you a pass on this post and not rip in to you like other posters as you clearly are 11 years old, drunk or just of limited intelligence

These types of comments from the same people who said that Whitmer was the best QB since Danny O. Lets pick up on this conversation in 4 weeks.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
These types of comments from the same people who said that Whitmer was the best QB since Danny O. Lets pick up on this conversation in 4 weeks.
I dont believe ive ever posted anything about whitmer; let alone compare him to Dan O. I'm leaning towards you being drunk and angry after a tough loss.

Reaction Score

How can you possibly know this? We've only ever seen CW with a Zombie for a head coach and a Gremlin secretly calling the offensive plays.

"Give him time". UConn does not have time to spare.

Reaction Score

Nope never said that. Always said he had limitations. Limitations which TB excels at in every area except experience. Make something else up.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Perspective folks - go back to the Danny O.

Thrown in the fire early- took his licks as the team grew with him. He was learning through his sophomore year when everything clicked.

Boyle showed great pocket presence for a true freshman and should have at least one TD with throw to Parker. Foxx had a bad game, sucked the life out of the stadium and the team. That said, it was as good as you could expect from a true freshman. Boyle's future is bright- he has the tools - we just need to be patient like we were with Danny O.

Reaction Score
Perspective folks - go back to the Danny O.

Thrown in the fire early- took his licks as the team grew with him. He was learning through his sophomore year when everything clicked.

Boyle showed great pocket presence for a true freshman and should have at least one TD with throw to Parker. Foxx had a bad game, sucked the life out of the stadium and the team. That said, it was as good as you could expect from a true freshman. Boyle's future is bright- he has the tools - we just need to be patient like we were with Danny O.

No patience with this fan base. Microwave Society ;):D

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The two deep passes each needed some air under them. Those were entirely on Boyle. The first Qtr pass to Parker would have been a tough catch but Parker needed to bring that one in. There wasn't room to hit him in the numbers and if Boyle tried it would have been a pick. There were at least six easy catches that ended up on the grass solely due to our receivers (and backs).

He has potential, would have benefited greatly with a redshirt year, would have benefited some if there was a QB coach on the sideline to work with him during the game ans all in all did a commendable job.

He is a true freshman, that will not change until spring practice. We will need to accept the fact that there will be growing pains or we should take the remainder of the season off. I choose the former.

Reaction Score
Why can't he be of limited intelligence, drunk, and 11 years old?

Reaction Score
He needs to work on timing with the receivers more yes but what I liked was that he was able to pick up a couple first downs with his feet which I haven't seen a UConn quarterback do in a while.

Reaction Score

Yea Boyle had problems but you expected much more from a true freshman??? Seriously there is a whole basketball board for posters that don't understand football

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If you came away from today not completely excited about our future at QB, then you're never going to be excited. Boyle has the size and D-1 arm that we haven't had since this stadium opened. I also loved his mobility...was not expecting to see him chew up so many yards on the ground like he did. He just needs to work on his touch and presence (ex - throw the ball away instead of running out of bounds when noone is around for a 4 yard loss). But man, the arm strength is there with or against the wind. He probably could have been bailed out several times by his receivers too.

Reaction Score
Boyle's stats
15-43 149 yards. 3.5 yards an attempt, fumble returned for a touchdown.

9 rushes for 12 yards

running game (excluding boyle)

28 rushes 195 yards 1 td 6.9 yards a rush

Lyle McCombs runs for a career high 164 yards.

offensive production 10 points with a net of 3 points ( due to the 7 points USF defense scored).

I need one of you geniuses to explain this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom