Boyle is horrible | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Boyle is horrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just to clarify, I don't blame Boyle, he's a true freshmen, however, he didn't look ready to me! I think that he was rushed.

Going forward, my optimism is tempered now. I am not sure how good Boyle is. He might turn out to be a really good qb. But, I definitely did not see anything to make me think that he is special or that he can carry the program the next few years, but hey he will improve.

My point is that he has alot of improving to do. There are quite a few freshmen QB that are playing really well, (see Houston, Penn State, Florida State) which is unusual. Watching this game today, I think it is a good idea to keep recruiting and QBs because there is no "sure thing" on the roster. Sorry for speaking the truth. We will see how things turn out. If he improves going forward I will be encouraged. However, it is not a given in the near term.
If your point is as you say he has a lot of improving to do I don't think anyone would disagree but the title of your post is a mean-spirited attack.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I'm nuts? so you thought he was impressive. Don't ever try to be a scout, your family will starve.

Strongly disagree Mr. Cochran/Whitmer.

His numbers stunk but Tim Boyle showed poise and pocket presence we haven't seen at the QB position since Dan. Threw the ball away when he needed to, stepped up and ran when the window opened.

I remember looking at the scoreboard with 8:30 left in the first quarter and being amazed that we only had 10 passing yards. It sounds stupid but just by the way the kid conducted himself today I truly feel we've found our QB for the next 3+ years.

We make some early 1st quarter catches to give TB some confidence and things may have ended up very differently.

Reaction Score
Insanely stupid comment. Boyle has a canon, quick release, sees the field and goes through progressions. He did not hold the ball too low. He got stripped in the process of throwing once. He moved in the pocket nicely. He just needs some tough. Everything was a bullet.

This was his first college game and he played pretty well. He will be the QB we've had since Dan O.

Reaction Score
Not impressed with him, he needs alot of work, should have redshirted. He had bad footwork, wasn't stepping into his throws, erratic throws, was having trouble reading coverage, and for a guy that's 6'4'' he holds the ball too low.

15 of 43 149 yards, and he should have had 5 picks.

This is a serious post?

Reaction Score
I think that I just got a little too excited with the Boyle hype and overreacted in saying he is horrible after the game. I watched a replay of the game. Tough loss, when the defense plays so well, the other qb is horrible, and the running game is excellent. I have been looking forward to the game for two weeks and honestly, still had not given up on the season. However, after today reality sinks in.

Yes, one can say that Boyle lost the game, but at the same time, it isn't fair to blame him, he's a true freshman and he was thrown into the fire. Alot of his passes were high, which is probably nerves. So he should improve, he does have a good arm, decent mobility and very good size. He looks more like a D 1 qb than Whitmer.

However, the schedule is going to get tougher, Cincinnati, Louisville, UCF. If he can go to Cincinnati and play decent improve, from game to game then it was good to burn the red-shirt. If he gets shell shocked and it hurts his confidence, then maybe it might have been better to have given had him a year to redshirt. The question is whether Boyle gives the best chance to win Now.

I found myself after the game think whether Cochran, Whitmer or even Taylor ( due to read-option) should get some time. Obviously, I am not sure where to go from here. But Weist put himself in a bad situation starting Boyle because he's going to take alot of criticism is he doesn't let Boyle stay in there. Yet at the same time he has a mandate to win now, or he won't see 2014, at least not as HC.

I think we mostly agree. This game has been deconstructed and magnified way beyond it's usefulness. I'm not really sure who gave so many people the impression that Tim Boyle was ready to step in and carry the team on his back. I believe what the coach feels and many of us agree is that he has at least an equal chance of winning and more (imo way more) upside than the other QB's. The polish will not come overnight and the team has to step up and help him as he gets experience. Today some of the recievers and linemen let him down.

So we're committed to Tim and the learnng curve he represents. This isn't a one game audition but a judgement that he can and will make the adjustments necessary to lead the team. Let's hope we get Shakim back soon and see what everybody learns from the new season that started today.

Reaction Score
H-Nation, guys like you make me embarrassed to be a Husky fan. Get a grip. The kid was fine, one can't throw and catch at the same time. Put 14 points on in the first quarter and its a different game and even then he stayed composed and has an arm. Take a valium or two and get some therapy!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
If you think Boyle is not ready to play, then we shouldn't have burned the redshirt when there are 2 QB's on the roster with experience that could benefit from improved oline play.

If you think Boyle will be the program savior, then we shouldn't have burned the redshirt in the middle of a lost season with an interim coach.

In other words, we shouldn't have burned the redshirt.
If the best QB on your roster is a freshman you play him. Don't understand the fascination with redshirting when he is going it start. this will pay huge dividends in the future.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I like how no one has yet to mention the continuous pressure that Boyle was playing through. Beside all the drops, he was under the same constant pressure that the O-Line has caused Whitmer to have all season long. The difference this game was that Boyle was able to scramble or had the whits to throw the ball away and not force it into triple coverage. CW didn't do that. He was constantly throwing the ball into coverage when he was pressured or taking sacks. Boyle got out of those situations and kept the downs to be manageable instead of constantly facing 3rd and 15+ yrds.

I don't know who really expected Boyle to be superman out there but the fact that we lost the game is not solely on him. There are countless things that can be blamed and Boyle is not anywhere near the top of my list.

So instead of starting the same stupid @ss thread after every upcoming loss, how about we just look for progress and hope we win a game or two. 0-12 is a strong possibility with this team and it won't be because Boyle is in at QB. I'd rather see him gain experience and make connections with his receivers in game situations so that next season he can start with a leg up as opposed to him coming as a redshirt Frosh.

Reaction Score
I was at the game and then I watched it again tonite. Parker should have caught that ball in the end zone for a td and even tough Fox, had to dive for it, the ball hit him in the forearms. Even the announcer doing the game, said Fox should of had it. that's 14-0, and takes a lot of pressure off the true freshman. Those 2 drops early were huge, even TJ say so.
Boyle did NOT have a horrible game. He did Not cost us the game.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Boyle played pretty awful. I'm sorry, but USF is one of the worst teams in the country and I wasn't impressed at all. I was at the game, will continue going to the games, but he was not good today. It was his first start, so ultimately, that's fine, but I don't want to sit here and read about how good he looked today.

Again, not killing Boyle, as it was his first start.

I'm just saying the people that are being critical are far less in the wrong than these people proclaiming boyle to be the savior.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Do you see TB hanging in for a 5th year if he started 3 years and had the credits to graduate or pro interest? Not so sure. Don't get me wrong I wanted to give Casey a shot and keep Tim from taking some shots he barely avoided today. But what's done is done and he's on the fast learning curve now. But he has the tools

Why redshirt anyone if you are using that logic?

I think Boyle is going to be a very good QB for UConn. He has a great arm, good instincts and good enough speed to run when he needs to. But he is a true freshman, and he looked like it today.

I read the same litany of stupidity on this thread that I read on the basketball board about every new recruit. To say experience doesn't matter is to insult every player that has been busting their ass in practice since they got to UConn. Whitmer has had 4 years of post-high school coaching. I am going to assume that at some point along the way he has learned something. I had an open mind to Boyle being better, but I didn't see anything today other than arm strength to indicate that Boyle is better than Whitmer right now. If Whitmer had a Foley-coached Oline all season, he would be having a much better year.

I think playing Boyle is a mistake. He is not ready, and we are wasting a year of eligibility for someone that could really change the trajectory of UConn's football program.

Reaction Score
So perfect throw that are dropped are the QBs fault?

The ball hit Foxx's forearms - FOREARMS!!!. He could have just run under the ball instead of diving.

Have you ever watched football before today?

So Foxx was running in stride wide open? no he had to dive for a ball when there was nobody in sight. Yes it hit his forearms but it was not a ball that was "on target"

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Anger issues? Call 1-800-GET-HELP

Go back to the BB board. You're clueless.

4124856487_oh_snap_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

Reaction Score
To me he didn't look like the next great thing for the program, that's for sure. But this board has been so high on him no ones gonna critique him much.

That's Baloney. Pure BS ... the board is very critical when deserved.

Reaction Score
Why redshirt anyone if you are using that logic?

I think Boyle is going to be a very good QB for UConn. He has a great arm, good instincts and good enough speed to run when he needs to. But he is a true freshman, and he looked like it today.

I read the same litany of stupidity on this thread that I read on the basketball board about every new recruit. To say experience doesn't matter is to insult every player that has been busting their ass in practice since they got to UConn. Whitmer has had 4 years of post-high school coaching. I am going to assume that at some point along the way he has learned something. I had an open mind to Boyle being better, but I didn't see anything today other than arm strength to indicate that Boyle is better than Whitmer right now. If Whitmer had a Foley-coached Oline all season, he would be having a much better year.

I think playing Boyle is a mistake. He is not ready, and we are wasting a year of eligibility for someone that could really change the trajectory of UConn's football program.

Unfortunately, at 0-4 UCONN was/is in a reasonable situation to play a freshman that has the skills to lead the team in the coming years. Louisville, FSU, Texas A&M, etc. all play(ed) freshman for one reason or another. If UCONN had a couple of wins and a QB that was continually improving it would be a different story.

What you are suggesting above is somewhat nonsensical: Experience matters, but don't play him, he needs more experience. What? I'd be willing to wager that if he finishes out the season he will be in a much better position to lead the team come September 2014 than he would be if he red-shirted.

I'm not throwing in the towel on this season, but I think we now have to emphasize building for the future as much as salvaging the season. Hopefully (hopefully) those two priorities converge.

Reaction Score
Thought Boyle showed some real nice instincts at times and at others looked like he should have in his first start in a D1 game. The pocket presence/mobility was Montana-like compared to the last 2 back there for the Huskies and his arm is real good. I like him and disagree with those who think he should've redshirted........needs to learn in the heat of the moment and why not on a down year. Hopefully the lessons learn will begin to show early and often next year as the offense grows together.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Here's a thought that came to me this morning about the whole redshirting Boyle debate: perhaps they are playing him so that they won't lose him to a transfer when we make a coaching hire? If you play him now, you can guarantee him that he is 1st on the depth chart in 2014 no matter who the coach is. Unless we hire a Rich Rod type of guy who runs a spread run offense, Boyle should rest assured that he is the UCONN QB for the next 3 years regardless of what kind of coaching changes are made. If you keep him on the bench behind 2 QBs that are getting worse on a weekly basis, he might have felt discouraged and transferred out once Weist is eventually replaced by a new coach.

Just me putting on my speculative cap. I now digress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom