Blauds: UConn/Cincy Leaning Towards C7 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Blauds: UConn/Cincy Leaning Towards C7

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Did you give this any thought before that response? Did you consider the fact that women's basketball is UConn's premier program now and for the foreseeable future? That Geno is the premier coach in the country? Do you really think that Herbst and Manuel see the program as insignificant, even if women's basketball generally, outside of UConn, is insignificant?

How long would the program stay at the top in a league that absolutely sucks? Three or four years if we are lucky.

WBB.
Does.
Not.
Matter.

The premier program at the school is the men's basketball team. Still. Nobody involved in conference realignment cares about WBB.

Reaction Score
Connecticut with the Catholic 7 does not really seem to make sense for either party.

While Connecticut is by far the best basketball program out there and there is likely some sympathy for being long term rivals of many of the seven, it's not like the conference needs Connecticut. It can get good basketball programs, like Butler and Xavier. It does not have to get Connecticut (and that's without the debate of how good Connecticut will be post-Calhoun).

There's also something to be said for the Catholic schools to:(1) have a conference with a unified set of goals and (2) similar backgrounds. All the schools don't have to be private schools. But there's a sense of cohesion if they are. And it certainly helps if one of your members isn't constantly looking over their shoulder for a better offer (which would be Connecticut).

As for UConn, the big question is what happens to the football? I'm imagine the Big East would tell UConn to stick it if it wants to remain football only (the program itself is not super valuable and the Big East can force UConn to choose between all sports in the Big East or sticking football in a "lower" tier conference). At that point, you're scrambling for whatever is left, be it C-USA, MAC, Sun Belt, or maybe even Mountain West. But none of that is ideal. And unlikely to generate significantly different money. Or markedly different basketball.

Reaction Score
I believe there is something here, but the admin has (finally) thrown a head fake and Blauds bit. The B12 needs 2 more schools as they are doing a 180 on the conference playoff. Cincy and UConn have offered themselves as a package, even if for FB only. The idea is being floated (although MWC is not a real option as FB is better here, even in the NBE). Now, how about a B12/C7 marriage - anyone opposed?
Opposed? I don't see how anyone would rather be in the cluster were in now

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
WBB.
Does.
Not.
Matter.

The premier program at the school is the men's basketball team. Still. Nobody involved in conference realignment cares about WBB.

Right. Might our new league be slightly better than the MWC in football? Maybe, but remember Cinci would be with us, so it is very close. But the C7 plus Uconn Cinci Butler, Xavier and another is a much stronger basketball league. Much stronger. So overall, it makes sense, probably brings more $ and keeps hoops in the national spotlight.

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs (@jacobscourant)
1/12/13, 1:44 PM
FYI, UConn pres. Herbst re-affirmed Warde Manuel's position on Big East, not looking to break off in FB to MW and BB with Catholic schools.
I'm pretty sure that it was Manuel yesterday who re-affirmed Herbst's position, but whatever.

Didn't Blauds say that his info was coming from source(s) at UConn? If he's right, what is UConn doing putting out misinformation? What would the purpose be?
I can't imagine Blauds is using the ballboy as his source, I would assume it's someone with some power who he thinks is reliable.

Reaction Score
Did you give this any thought before that response? Did you consider the fact that women's basketball is UConn's premier program now and for the foreseeable future? That Geno is the premier coach in the country? Do you really think that Herbst and Manuel see the program as insignificant, even if women's basketball generally, outside of UConn, is insignificant?

How long would the program stay at the top in a league that absolutely sucks? Three or four years if we are lucky.

WBB is "UConn's premier program" only if you are in the Depends crowd.

Reaction Score
MBB the goose that laid the golden egg. We must protect the goose.

111903849_crop_650x440.jpg

Reaction Score
What does UConn have in common with a bunch of small Catholics? Superior academics? Schools like PC and St. John's show absolutely no compunction in taking on at-risk players.
I'd be careful throwing stones because of academic performance. Our disiplinary history isn't the greatest either.

Reaction Score
I'd be careful throwing stones because of academic performance. Our disiplinary history isn't the greatest either.

It's not throwing stones. The only reason academics are ever a concern in this game is when the opposition takes better players that you're not allowed to take. So there's no concern here that the Catholics have higher standards than the others.

And I'm not sure what you mean by disciplinary.

Reaction Score
Don't act like that is because of anything this administration has done. You might as well throw the 2013 attendance record right out the window. Ticket sales will be at an all time high solely because of the Michigan game. Don't fool yourself into thinking things are getting better. After we get waxed this year and miss another bowl game we will be lucky to have 20k in the stands for 2014.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
i understand that attendance is a function of success and competition. we have two potential top 10 teams coming in along with a top 25 in rutgers. sdsu is an unknown.
our attendance will go up...

you can debate 'why' all you want, but in the end its the number that counts.

ps... i havent seen next season yet. are you one of those who yells out whats going to happen in theaters as wel?

Reaction Score

wbb is different. there is such a gap between the top programs i dont think conferences are as vital.
the top teams alwaysseem to play each other: stanford, tenn, nd, baylor more recently.
outside of uconn and nd, does any other league have more than one top 10 team?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
wbb is different. there is such a gap between the top programs i dont think conferences are as vital.
the top teams alwaysseem to play each other: stanford, tenn, nd, baylor more recently.
outside of uconn and nd, does any other league have more than one top 10 team?
Actually, there are FOUR conferences with two teams in the top 10: BE, UConn and ND; ACC, Duke and MD; SEC, Tenn and Kentucky, and Pac 12, Stanford and Cal.

So there may not be as much of a gap as you think, and I think conference strength is just as important in WBB as in men's. When ND goes to the ACC, UConn will lose the only conference rival that has been a challenge in the last 4-5 years.

Reaction Score
i understand that attendance is a function of success and competition. we have two potential top 10 teams coming in along with a top 25 in rutgers. sdsu is an unknown.
our attendance will go up...

you can debate 'why' all you want, but in the end its the number that counts.

ps... i havent seen next season yet. are you one of those who yells out whats going to happen in theaters as wel?

What?

Reaction Score
I think conference strength is just as important in WBB as in men's. When ND goes to the ACC, UConn will lose the only conference rival that has been a challenge in the last 4-5 years.

It's not as important. Especially where Uconn is concerned. ESPN is still going ot show their marquee non conference games. The women are going to have bright shiny new practice facility that Geno can use to recruit and most other schools can't compete with that. And the fans will still show up - they didnt mind watching Uconn win by 30+ points most nights so why would they care if it was 40 or 50? Most of our women's games are not competitive and that wont change. SNY is still going to show them. Conference affiliation is nowhere near as important as with the men....not even close.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What?

I think he's talking about next season specifically - Michigan and Louisville.

The why matters. If people show up to see the team you are playing - when you aren't playing them anymore it gets ugly fast.

Reaction Score
I think he's talking about next season specifically - Michigan and Louisville.

The why matters. If people show up to see the team you are playing - when you aren't playing them anymore it gets ugly fast.
you mean like 'success'...
Thanks for cluing me in.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
you mean like 'success'...
Thanks for cluing me in.

You can't have real success in CUSA 2.0. Beating a bunch of third rate programs like Temple, Tulane and Memphis isn't going to get anyone excited.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
There is no rosy picture for UCONN FB right now. I simply feel we have to grab the best scenario going forward and I hope it includes the C7 for our overall success.

This isn't 1980 where hoops has a huge. Now BCS runs college sports and not being part of it means UConn would be better off in a 1-AA football program than in the MAC playing crappy schools. The C-7 will never be what they hope it will. It will be a nice conference with a couple of good teams and a bunch of so so programs. No I don't want UConn on either of those roads but going forward with the NNBE and seeing what happens. Because those other two roads are losers when all is said and done.

Reaction Score
Whats an interesting sidebar to me is that there seems to be a split between big ego Warde and others in power or who have influence at UConn. While Warde will go to games at exotic locations he isn't foremost an AD with a basketball interest - he is a football guy at a mediocre level. While the Catholic league is not perfect it beats current alternatives for basketball and the things we all want appear to be a reach given the current people in power networks, influence, effectiveness and work ethic.
I actually think there might be an internal game going on here. In fact I think this is a lot more likely than some of the other theories like that this is a shot across the bow of the NBA on a grant of rights or that it is some kind of mis-direction. I suspect that there are some within the UConn administration and especially among the alumni/supporter community that just can't fathom the idea that basketball will be stuck in a mid-major conference and are trying to push the issue. Of course they miss the fact that it isn't 1984 any more and St Johns basically stinks, Providence stinks, Depaul is awful, Seton Hall is a joke and Al Maguire retired from Marquette in 1978...Plus I suspect there is still some upset that they didn't get their guy as the AD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom