Blauds: UConn/Cincy Leaning Towards C7 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Blauds: UConn/Cincy Leaning Towards C7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guessing here that you don't follow college fb a lot. That's fine and I'm guessing you are a UConn bball fan first and foremost. Also totally fine. But to assume the MWC is better than the NBE without an argument is asinine. SJSU and Utah St are coming off seasons where they did well but their coaches left. Doubt they'll continue to perform well as they both have been crappy programs for awhile. So outside of Boise...who is good in the MWC?? I'd take UConn, Cincy, UCF over Boise, Nevada (also lost coach), UNLV, ummmm......anyday. I know the names don't jump out at anyone but anyone who follows college fb outside of attending a few UConn games here and there can see that the NBE is not nearly as bad as you might think.

NBE and MWC are full of wannabe programs other than Boise and to a degree, Cincy has been pretty good.

There is simply no other way to cut this cake.

Reaction Score
TCU is in the B12. Boise in MWC. We're talking UConn to the MAC in your scenario, are we not? The MAC schools draw 15,000. And multiple schools were in danger of being thrown out of D1 (i.e. Buffalo and E. Michigan).

TCU is a perfect example of a school that had success maintaining a strong program playing in a lessor conference having been a member of the WAC (1996), CUSA (2001), MWC (2005) and finally the best scenario for them B12 (2011). Is it possible that Uconn could build its FB program going a similar route while not dragging down our BB program? I still believe our FB attendance will be at 30K or better. I believe we have a solid loyal fan base that will support our FB program through this challenging period. Under the current scenario, our BB program is going to have a hard time maintaining a high level of play over the next 5 years. We definitely need a save here.

Reaction Score
TCU is a perfect example of a school that had success maintaining a strong program playing in a lessor conference having been a member of the WAC (1996), CUSA (2001), MWC (2005) and finally the best scenario for them B12 (2011). Is it possible that Uconn could build its FB program going a similar route while not dragging down our BB program? I still believe our FB attendance will be at 30K or better. I believe we have a solid loyal fan base that will support our FB program through this challenging period. Under the current scenario, our BB program is going to have a hard time maintaining a high level of play over the next 5 years. We definitely need a save here.

TCU was also a former member of the SWC, don't forget, but they parlayed their conference jumping by moving to the strongest position possible for football, never downgrading it. And don't forget, TCU chose to forego any association with Utah, San Diego St, Boise St., BYU, etc. for the likes of Cuse, Pitt, Louisville and UConn, even though they had some amazing rivalries with some of these teams.

The bball program will be much better able to withstand a fall off by playing Memphis, Cincy and Temple than the football program will playing CUSA and MAC. What are we looking at? We're looking at a CUSA without SMU, Houston and perhaps Cincy if UConn joins the CYO7. That means a Sun Belt/CUSA conglomeration, and who knows if these teams even want to play UConn. What's in it for the MAC and Sun Belt/CUSA anyway?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
It's not a great idea, but it's better than the being in a conference comprised of Houston, UCF, Memphis, ECU, Tulane, Navy, USF, Temple, and the rumored UMass and Tulsa additions. That league would absolutely destroy our basketball programs, outside of Cincinnati, only Temple and to an extent Memphis are NCAA tournament teams. That league would be lucky to get 4 bids. The football would be terribly mediocre, would not get respect, and would likely be relegated to mid level garbage bowls at the absolute best, outside an occasional access bowl bid.

The C7+A-10 schools, plus UConn and Cincinnati would maintain a very solid basketball league, easily in the top three or four in the country, and would maintain the basketball programs' status, recruiting, etc. Not to mention it would all but assure that we continue playing our conference tournament at MSG. Joining the MWC in football would at least put us with some competitive teams, it still would be rather mediocre, and our access bowl would be more or less the same, we'd still be in mediocre bowls, but it would likely be a more respected league, especially since we'd be playing a few teams people generally regard as competitive programs.

The sum total of good for all of our important programs would be better served in the C7+MWC than the NNNNBE.
The C7+A10 would be a bad basketball league on the women's side, and that is not an insignificant consideration.

Reaction Score
I know this is off track, but this mess highlights in no uncertain terms how totally critical it was to beat Louisville out for Maryland's spot in the ACC. And I just don't know if Susan and Ward did everything humanly possible to assure that spot went to UCONN. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, I just don't know. But, I can tell you one thing, if I were them I would not have been in the Virgin Islands that weekend, even if it was for no other reason than appearances.

Of course, none of this matters now.......

Reaction Score
I know this is off track, but this mess highlights in no uncertain terms how totally critical it was to beat Louisville out for Maryland's spot in the ACC. And I just don't know if Susan and Ward did everything humanly possible to assure that spot went to UCONN. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, I just don't know. But, I can tell you one thing, if I were them I would not have been in the Virgin Islands that weekend, even if it was for no other reason than appearances.

You must want to completely neglect the attendance figures for UL football and basketball. That's the only reason we didn't make the cut.

Reaction Score
You must want to completely neglect the attendance figures for UL football and basketball. That's the only reason we didn't make the cut.

I didn't say the Louisville might not have been a more logical choice than UCONN did I? All I called into question was whether Herbst and Manuel did everything they possibly could to keep us out of the cluster duck.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The C7+A10 would be a bad basketball league on the women's side, and that is not an insignificant consideration.

It should be.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

That's a very fair way of making that point. My guess is that Herbst was the point woman and was doing everything humanly possible, but you're right we really don't know. I think we do know that FSU threw their weight around to get Louisville instead of UConn, and it's anyone's guess if we had a time machine if there could be anything done to counter that ahead of time. But you're also right about appearances, and it's the appearance of UConn bigwigs in the USVI that weekend that is really rankling the CR junkies on the boneyard.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

What's an adjective that means less than insignificant?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Reached later Friday evening, Manuel said, "We've never had a conversation. Our intent is to work with the remaining members of the Big East and the current members coming in. That's been our intent all along. We have not had a conversation with any other group, any other conference, period. I have not had any conversations."

Ugh.
And once again, I die just a little inside.

C

Chief00

Whats an interesting sidebar to me is that there seems to be a split between big ego Warde and others in power or who have influence at UConn. While Warde will go to games at exotic locations he isn't foremost an AD with a basketball interest - he is a football guy at a mediocre level. While the Catholic league is not perfect it beats current alternatives for basketball and the things we all want appear to be a reach given the current people in power networks, influence, effectiveness and work ethic.

CL82

Reaction Score
I have come close but it sounds like the B1G may be making a move next week so I am in a holding pattern
You might want to reference this LINK next week.

CL82

Reaction Score
What's an adjective that means less than insignificant?
Minisucule? No, smaller than that. How about "WNBAish?"

Reaction Score
Blauds sounds a bit different than his ORIGINAL post today...

"The odds of Connecticut breaking away from the Big East to join the Catholic 7 still are of the long shot variety, but make no mistake, the option has been and will be discussed among UConn officials. The question of what to do about the football program is obviously the stumbling block, but all options will be examined before a final move is made."

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4739#more-4739

There is also more about the MWC/Conf USA/Big East 32 Team Super Conference idea from last year.

CL82

Reaction Score
Blauds sounds a bit different than his ORIGINAL post today...

"The odds of Connecticut breaking away from the Big East to join the Catholic 7 still are of the long shot variety, but make no mistake, the option has been and will be discussed among UConn officials. The question of what to do about the football program is obviously the stumbling block, but all options will be examined before a final move is made."

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4739#more-4739

There is also more about the MWC/Conf USA/Big East 32 Team Super Conference idea from last year.
Geez Blauds, just join the West Virginia board, already.

Reaction Score
After Warde's comments, Blauds basically said his source was above the athletic department, and at UConn. I could see Herbst wanting to align with the C7 because of superior academics. I think its a bad idea, but I could envision it.

I assumed this was floated by the C7 to try and drive up the Fox negotiation. UConn and Cincy would easily bump the price past $5 million, towards 10.

You really believe ESPN is so much smarter than its competition? Fox isn't giving the C-7 more money because of a rumor that UConn and Cincy might come. If they are actually in, then more money.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
It should be.
Did you give this any thought before that response? Did you consider the fact that women's basketball is UConn's premier program now and for the foreseeable future? That Geno is the premier coach in the country? Do you really think that Herbst and Manuel see the program as insignificant, even if women's basketball generally, outside of UConn, is insignificant?

How long would the program stay at the top in a league that absolutely sucks? Three or four years if we are lucky.

Reaction Score
I believe it is true that Uconn officials have considered everything and that they are on top of any new development. I also believe that Uconn officials have had no conversations as WM stated to diffuse the rumor Blauds created. We still however have not heard from the C7. In the first paragraph of the original article Blauds made it sound as if the C7 was plotting a strategy to reel in Uconn and Cincy all the while the NBE conference meeting was going on. Is there any truth to that? Is there interest by the C7 or have they already decided to move on without one of the BE founding members?

Reaction Score
Did you give this any thought before that response? Did you consider the fact that women's basketball is UConn's premier program now and for the foreseeable future? That Geno is the premier coach in the country? Do you really think that Herbst and Manuel see the program as insignificant, even if women's basketball generally, outside of UConn, is insignificant?

How long would the program stay at the top in a league that absolutely sucks? Three or four years if we are lucky.
I'd like to think that Uconn is bigger than the conference and will continue to play a strong OOC schedule therefore remaining on top.

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs (@jacobscourant)
1/12/13, 1:44 PM
FYI, UConn pres. Herbst re-affirmed Warde Manuel's position on Big East, not looking to break off in FB to MW and BB with Catholic schools.

Reaction Score
I believe there is something here, but the admin has (finally) thrown a head fake and Blauds bit. The B12 needs 2 more schools as they are doing a 180 on the conference playoff. Cincy and UConn have offered themselves as a package, even if for FB only. The idea is being floated (although MWC is not a real option as FB is better here, even in the NBE). Now, how about a B12/C7 marriage - anyone opposed?

Reaction Score
I believe there is something here, but the admin has (finally) thrown a head fake and Blauds bit. The B12 needs 2 more schools as they are doing a 180 on the conference playoff. Cincy and UConn have offered themselves as a package, even if for FB only. The idea is being floated (although MWC is not a real option as FB is better here, even in the NBE). Now, how about a B12/C7 marriage - anyone opposed?

Opposed? No. But unless the big 12 doesn't want to do the travel for the Olympic sports there is no downside to adding us in everything. Neither us or Cincinnati are exactly dregs in other sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom