Blauds: UConn/Cincy Leaning Towards C7 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Blauds: UConn/Cincy Leaning Towards C7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think UConn fanbase will hover around 30K for football no matter what conference we are in be it the ACC or the MAC. B1G would be the one exception because of traveling away fans. This year the Buffalo and Temple (1 year removed from MAC) games drew similar crowds to our other matches.
No, the MAC or NNNNNNBE would drop us to 20-25K at most. ACC would be 40K sellouts, B1G would be demand for expansion. MWC would be roughly where weve been, 30-35K.

Reaction Score
No, the MAC or NNNNNNBE would drop us to 20-25K at most. ACC would be 40K sellouts, B1G would be demand for expansion. MWC would be roughly where weve been, 30-35K.
We were at 35K-40K before PP came along. Well done, McHugh! Some brain-dead high school coaches we have in this state.

Reaction Score
I can't believe it's come to this. Go to Waylon's post on the first page. You are talking about an option that doesn't exist.

The idea that UConn will get an ACC invite because somehow they are damaging the ACC from the C7? Fantasy time js better spent on Kate Upton.

The ACC with the new adds is about to unleash a world of hurt on all others in college basketball. If you want to play against the best, you go to the ACC. The CYO7 is further diminished and marginalized. And so is UConn unless it can trade on its 3 championships and Ollie's NBA creds and credibility as a coach.

Reaction Score
Who is more likely to get invited to big boy bowl from group of 5? If uconn wins the nnbe, i bet it goes to mwc champ. If uconn wins the mwc and beats boise to get there, then i think uconn will get the respect it deserves.
Based on its markets the C7 in bb is more of a threat to acc than nnbe. acc make take us to hurt the c7. Are we a threat to the acc in nnbe?

The team with the best record, because it's going to go by ranking. N. Illinois was taken over anyone the MWC, CUSA, WAC or Sun Belt through out there even though many teams in those leagues could probably beat N. Illinois. In other words, if you go 12-1 and no one else does in the non-AQs, you get a bid. But that's what it's going to take.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Shutting down the C7/MWC talk was the first good move Warde has made in realignment. Whatever you thought of the idea, UConn could never pull it off and trying it would have almost certainly ended up in disaster.

Reaction Score
Shutting down the C7/MWC talk was the first good move Warde has made in realignment. Whatever you thought of the idea, UConn could never pull it off and trying it would have almost certainly ended up in disaster.
Just because he shot it down doesn't mean it's not true. Blauds has shown himself to be right a couple of times before on BE stuff, so he's not pulling things out of thin air like MHv.

Reaction Score
Is it possible that this rumor is an attempt by Uconn and Cinn. to make themselves more desirable? I am a basketball first guy so I prefer joining the C7 because it maintains traditional opponents and makes travel reasonable for other sports. I'd much rather be playing Gtown and Nova than UCF and Tulane.
As far as football is concerned, as long as we come up with 10 decent opponents we won't be in much worse shape than we were in the old BE. I have no idea how this would effect BCS eligibilty.
I still think that we eventually end up in the ACC.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
After Warde's comments, Blauds basically said his source was above the athletic department, and at UConn. I could see Herbst wanting to align with the C7 because of superior academics. I think its a bad idea, but I could envision it.

I assumed this was floated by the C7 to try and drive up the Fox negotiation. UConn and Cincy would easily bump the price past $5 million, towards 10.

Reaction Score
After Warde's comments, Blauds basically said his source was above the athletic department, and at UConn. I could see Herbst wanting to align with the C7 because of superior academics. I think its a bad idea, but I could envision it.

I assumed this was floated by the C7 to try and drive up the Fox negotiation. UConn and Cincy would easily bump the price past $5 million, towards 10.
It's not a great idea, but it's better than the being in a conference comprised of Houston, UCF, Memphis, ECU, Tulane, Navy, USF, Temple, and the rumored UMass and Tulsa additions. That league would absolutely destroy our basketball programs, outside of Cincinnati, only Temple and to an extent Memphis are NCAA tournament teams. That league would be lucky to get 4 bids. The football would be terribly mediocre, would not get respect, and would likely be relegated to mid level garbage bowls at the absolute best, outside an occasional access bowl bid.

The C7+A-10 schools, plus UConn and Cincinnati would maintain a very solid basketball league, easily in the top three or four in the country, and would maintain the basketball programs' status, recruiting, etc. Not to mention it would all but assure that we continue playing our conference tournament at MSG. Joining the MWC in football would at least put us with some competitive teams, it still would be rather mediocre, and our access bowl would be more or less the same, we'd still be in mediocre bowls, but it would likely be a more respected league, especially since we'd be playing a few teams people generally regard as competitive programs.

The sum total of good for all of our important programs would be better served in the C7+MWC than the NNNNBE.

Reaction Score

What does UConn have in common with a bunch of small Catholics? Superior academics? Schools like PC and St. John's show absolutely no compunction in taking on at-risk players.

Reaction Score
we'll be near 38-40K next year.

Don't act like that is because of anything this administration has done. You might as well throw the 2013 attendance record right out the window. Ticket sales will be at an all time high solely because of the Michigan game. Don't fool yourself into thinking things are getting better. After we get waxed this year and miss another bowl game we will be lucky to have 20k in the stands for 2014.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The only way this would be palatable is if it's a temporary solution until we get invited to our final resting place for all sports.

Its obvious that is what bit would be. And, with Cinci Blauds failed to mention that the non football league would be the Big East and could keep the MSG tournament. That's why the C7 would do it. It would also bump their $.

If we can land in CUSA or MWC for football, it seems like a best case scenario. But I have my doubts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Reaction Score
We'll be at 40,000 for two games next year.

The rest of the season we'll be lucky to get 25-30,000 in the stands.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
UConn has to do several things at one time. One is to be proactive if the ACC or one of the other "big boy" conferences is going to expand again. Conspiracy Kitty notwithstanding, it looks as if those conferences are okay with waiting at least a few months to move. Another thing UConn has to do is to appear supportive of the Aresco negotiations- I wouldn't say committed, because everyone and their mother knows we and Cincy have out bags packed and are waiting by the phone. If the football league formerly known as the NBE (FBLFKATNBE - can't call it the NNBE any more) is going to be an actual league, UConn (and Cincy) have to plan for the possibility that they could spend the foreseeable future in it if Swofford, Delany or Bowsby don't pick up the phone.

This means they have to support Aresco's negotiations, and try to keep Houston and SMU (I can't believe I'm typing that) from going to the MWC. I don't know what the chances of this happening are, I suppose if the MWC can add a bunch of new members, re-write their current paltry contract somehow, then we have to worry about it. If they can't do a "look-in" I'd guess it makes it less likely. But the third scenario UConn has to consider would be the FBLFKATNBE finally dying, if Houston / SMU do go to the MWC, and say, Cincy talking to them as well. At that point, but not before, the C7 affiliation and trying to find a home for FB in the MWC becomes something to consider. Until that happens though, talk about a C7 affiliation is a destabilizing influence. The only way that I could see this benefiting UConn would be if the MWC can re-open its contract and there's an impetus for them to go national with UConn, Cincy, BYU, a couple more east coast teams and there's a payday at the end of the rainbow. But that hasn't happened for the FBLFKATNBE and either FB league would have dead weight at the bottom. It would be threading the needle and the risk of having no home for football and devastated athletic revenue is just too great for this to be an option to pursue right now.

Reaction Score
It's not a great idea, but it's better than the being in a conference comprised of Houston, UCF, Memphis, ECU, Tulane, Navy, USF, Temple, and the rumored UMass and Tulsa additions. That league would absolutely destroy our basketball programs, outside of Cincinnati, only Temple and to an extent Memphis are NCAA tournament teams. That league would be lucky to get 4 bids. The football would be terribly mediocre, would not get respect, and would likely be relegated to mid level garbage bowls at the absolute best, outside an occasional access bowl bid.

The C7+A-10 schools, plus UConn and Cincinnati would maintain a very solid basketball league, easily in the top three or four in the country, and would maintain the basketball programs' status, recruiting, etc. Not to mention it would all but assure that we continue playing our conference tournament at MSG. Joining the MWC in football would at least put us with some competitive teams, it still would be rather mediocre, and our access bowl would be more or less the same, we'd still be in mediocre bowls, but it would likely be a more respected league, especially since we'd be playing a few teams people generally regard as competitive programs.

The sum total of good for all of our important programs would be better served in the C7+MWC than the NNNNBE.

Agree 100%, as long as we're talking MWC. If the MAC comes in to play, forget it, stay in the NNNNBE.

Reaction Score
UConn has to do several things at one time. One is to be proactive if the ACC or one of the other "big boy" conferences is going to expand again. Conspiracy Kitty notwithstanding, it looks as if those conferences are okay with waiting at least a few months to move. Another thing UConn has to do is to appear supportive of the Aresco negotiations- I wouldn't say committed, because everyone and their mother knows we and Cincy have out bags packed and are waiting by the phone. If the football league formerly known as the NBE (FBLFKATNBE - can't call it the NNBE any more) is going to be an actual league, UConn (and Cincy) have to plan for the possibility that they could spend the foreseeable future in it if Swofford, Delany or Bowsby don't pick up the phone.

This means they have to support Aresco's negotiations, and try to keep Houston and SMU (I can't believe I'm typing that) from going to the MWC. I don't know what the chances of this happening are, I suppose if the MWC can add a bunch of new members, re-write their current paltry contract somehow, then we have to worry about it. If they can't do a "look-in" I'd guess it makes it less likely. But the third scenario UConn has to consider would be the FBLFKATNBE finally dying, if Houston / SMU do go to the MWC, and say, Cincy talking to them as well. At that point, but not before, the C7 affiliation and trying to find a home for FB in the MWC becomes something to consider. Until that happens though, talk about a C7 affiliation is a destabilizing influence. The only way that I could see this benefiting UConn would be if the MWC can re-open its contract and there's an impetus for them to go national with UConn, Cincy, BYU, a couple more east coast teams and there's a payday at the end of the rainbow. But that hasn't happened for the FBLFKATNBE and either FB league would have dead weight at the bottom. It would be threading the needle and the risk of having no home for football and devastated athletic revenue is just too great for this to be an option to pursue right now.

Wisdom

Reaction Score
But the MWC football wise is better than the nnnnnbe, so you have no argument there either.

Except it's not. Have you looked at MWC lately? TCU, BYU, Utah aren't there anymore. Look at the league members. Don't be surprised if they invite Cal-Poly next. And what's the incentive for the MWC to ask UConn to join? And what do you do about Boise St.'s sweetheart deal? Give it to Uconn too? MWC has no interest at all in this, and quite frankly,

Reaction Score
Except it's not. Have you looked at MWC lately? TCU, BYU, Utah aren't there anymore. Look at the league members. Don't be surprised if they invite Cal-Poly next. And what's the incentive for the MWC to ask UConn to join? And what do you do about Boise St.'s sweetheart deal? Give it to Uconn too? MWC has no interest at all in this, and quite frankly,
2012 SAN JOSE STATE SPARTANS SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME RECORD/TICKETS
Fri, Aug 31
@
#21 Stanford
L20-17
0-1 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 8
vs
UC Davis
W45-13
1-1 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 15
vs
Colorado St
W40-20
2-1 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 22
@
San Diego St
W38-34
3-1 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 29
@
Navy
W12-0
4-1 (0-0)
Sat, Oct 13
vs
Utah St
L49-27
4-2 (0-1)
Sat, Oct 20
@
UTSA
W52-24
5-2 (1-1)
Sat, Oct 27
vs
Texas St
W31-20
6-2 (2-1)
Sat, Nov 3
@
Idaho
W42-13
7-2 (3-1)
Sat, Nov 10
@
New Mexico St
W47-7
8-2 (4-1)
Sat, Nov 17
vs
BYU
W20-14
9-2 (4-1)
Sat, Nov 24
vs
Louisiana Tech
W52-43
10-2 (5-1)
MILITARY BOWL - PRESENTED BY NORTHROP GRUMMAN
Thu, Dec 27
vs
Bowling Green*
W29-20
11-2 (5-1)

2012 EAST CAROLINA PIRATES SCHEDULE
Sat, Sept 1
vs
Appalachian St
W35-13
1-0 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 8
@
#9 South Carolina
L48-10
1-1 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 15
@
Southern Miss
W24-14
2-1 (1-0)
Sat, Sept 22
@
North Carolina
L27-6
2-2 (1-0)
Sat, Sept 29
vs
UTEP
W28-18
3-2 (2-0)
Thu, Oct 4
@
UCF
L40-20
3-3 (2-1)
Sat, Oct 13
vs
Memphis
W41-7
4-3 (3-1)
Sat, Oct 20
@
UAB
W42-35
5-3 (4-1)
Sat, Oct 27
vs
Navy
L56-28
5-4 (4-1)
Sat, Nov 3
vs
Houston
W48-28
6-4 (5-1)
Sat, Nov 17
@
Tulane
W28-23
7-4 (6-1)
Fri, Nov 23
vs
Marshall
W65-59 2OT
8-4 (7-1)
R+L CARRIERS NEW ORLEANS BOWL
Sat, Dec 22
vs
LA-Lafayette*
L43-34
8-5 (7-1)

The same Navy team that lost to SJ st beat ECU by 30. SJ St lost 2 games all year, and one of those was by THREE POINTS AT STANFORD. They also won vs BYU, so good choice of teams to argue with.

Boise, Fresno Air Force and Nevada are better than Houston SMU, USF and UCF...mainly because of Boise. If we're going to be in a football conference wouldn't you at least have our bball product protected?

Reaction Score
2012 SAN JOSE STATE SPARTANS SCHEDULE
Fri, Aug 31
@

Let me say this again: San Jose St. SUX!

Put it this way, Houston has had fantastic seasons in the recent past. SMU has had great seasons. USF was ranked #3 in the country. That doesn't mean anything in the current context.

Just like this year's SJSU team is less than indicative of anything whatsoever.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
This is all cognotive dissonance.

You have the basketball crowd, which is in favor of this. That's understandable, but it's still incorrect. It ignores the realities that FOOTBALL FOOTBALL FOOTBALL runs everything and makes the cash.

Yes, even at UConn.

Then there's the football crowd, which sees how this will only breed instability.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
But the MWC football wise is better than the nnnnnbe, so you have no argument there either.

I guessing here that you don't follow college fb a lot. That's fine and I'm guessing you are a UConn bball fan first and foremost. Also totally fine. But to assume the MWC is better than the NBE without an argument is asinine. SJSU and Utah St are coming off seasons where they did well but their coaches left. Doubt they'll continue to perform well as they both have been crappy programs for awhile. So outside of Boise...who is good in the MWC?? I'd take UConn, Cincy, UCF over Boise, Nevada (also lost coach), UNLV, ummmm......anyday. I know the names don't jump out at anyone but anyone who follows college fb outside of attending a few UConn games here and there can see that the NBE is not nearly as bad as you might think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom