BIG fan here: let's keep hope alive | Page 5 | The Boneyard

BIG fan here: let's keep hope alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
I think he was saying the Utah guy was rude.

I know he was saying the Utah guy was rude, and I was saying he was being rude by being scornful toward someone simply stating his personal preference.

Reaction Score
Reread my post and realize it that wasn't rude, though I suppose the 'creeping obesity' comment of the post I responded to was. Personally, I'd rather live in Boston, it's a great city, but Utah would be very cool as well. The point is it is just a choice. People who go out there why to explain way their life style choices are superior to yours and how they'd never live where you live, are insecure and, well kind of jerky. Yes, you find them on the east coast, but they can be found in rural areas as well. Just smile politely and move on, it's not a big deal That was my point.

I agree with you. It is a choice. Neither is better. They are just different lifestyles.

People in the Midwest get tired of the put downs about things to do, no one lives there, just like I am quite sure people on the coast get tired of hearing of Midwestern Values. Like morals only exist there.

Stereotypes are difficult to break. That is with regards to my comment that perception is reality. While many B1G fans understand the additions of RU and UMd, they are somewhat concerned with culture clash. That is why I don't want UVa or UNC in the B1G. They don't fit culturally in the B1G. They may never and it would be like adding more of the PSU fans that hate the B1G. It would be like swallowing poison and it would be just a matter of time before it killed everything. I don't see a major brand like ND or UT working either. I think the personalities(schools) in the B1G currently are workable.

I prefer the schools with potential that can grow to represent the brand. That growth is what will create the rivalry's and great fan bases.

Reaction Score
That is why I don't want UVa or UNC in the B1G. They don't fit culturally in the B1G. They may never and it would be like adding more of the PSU fans that hate the B1G. It would be like swallowing poison and it would be just a matter of time before it killed everything.
There's even UMD fans who resent that their school's administration chose the B1G. But Rutgers is all for it. I definitely think you find that amongst UConn fans. We understand what it's like to live in the northern part of the US. Amongst the most prestigious schools.

Reaction Score
From NickyNewark
LOL!! Hilarious...owned? ha ha,do they know this?We better tell PP to let all the 4* recruits in on our secret!All the kids in the region will flock here!Well thank god Ped U at least has a small degree of respect from your post!
I live in Cos Cob and the Capitol District in NY and I'm amazed at the block R's I see...its spreading!!It's in the very air!It's growing even as we BS ourselves now!!
Interesting. I took a very unofficial survey walking back to my car at the NJ Transit station parking lot and later the same day through the local Shop Rite parking lot in Northern Jersey, and I agree that there are a lot of block R’s around, except that most are for the Roadrunners of Ramapo College. It is probably worth noting that the grocery store is in the home town of Rutgers’ last AD, aka the poor guy thrown under the bus. Focusing on just BCS schools (Princeton, Cornell, and Army are very popular along with many DII and local state schools), Penn State is hands-down the most common college decal on cars in town. Rutgers is well behind and likely just ahead of ND and Michigan. Admittedly, I have only seen 2 or 3 UConn decals in town beside my own (oddly, there are fair number of Clemson stickers in town for some reason). So, I am not sure about Rutgers is ‘spreading.’
I do respect Rutgers and I enjoyed UConn/Rutgers football games (been to games in E Hartford and Piscataway). UConn versus Rutgers in men’s soccer is also usually a good match. That said, Rutgers has royally screwed-up recently. I have a connection through the U Michigan athletic department (no, I don’t even ask about future expansion as it puts my friend in an awkward position). Rutgers got into the B1G based the following facts: 1) geographic location in the NY/NJ market, 2) is AAU, 3) is a continuous state (NJ) to a B1G state (PA), 4) is D1 in sports (versus Princeton & others), and 5) is in the NY/NJ market. The Rice/Hermann fiasco has greatly embarrassed the B1G. The general feeling is if Rutgers was not in the NY/NJ market; their initiation would have been re-evaluated. And, not to excuse what happened at Penn State not to tarnish the 99.9% of people at Penn State who are good people, Rutgers should not throw stones when it lives in a glass house. Afterall, if something else bad happens at Rutgers during Hermann’s watch, she has proven that she will likely forget whatever did happen and jump ship for a better job elsewhere.

@Reevaluated?Why would the B1G get rid of RU for their research into RU?RU was thoroughly vetted by the B1G and even they couldn't find anything wrong!Unless 3 or 4 million people up and disappear don't NJ still have 9M people?You don't think all of a sudden Delany "who immediately came to RUs defense" was gonna say "Gee,look at that nice little college in Storrs setting there like a nice boy" and take UConn instead do ya?They had too much already invested to let that faux rage fool them like ESPin hoped!!I mean c'mon if what Ped U did don't get you bounced!!!

pj

Reaction Score
@Reevaluated?Why would the B1G get rid of RU for their research into RU?RU was thoroughly vetted by the B1G and even they couldn't find anything wrong!Unless 3 or 4 million people up and disappear don't NJ still have 9M people?You don't think all of a sudden Delany "who immediately came to RUs defense" was gonna say "Gee,look at that nice little college in Storrs setting there like a nice boy" and take UConn instead do ya?They had too much already invested to let that faux rage fool them like ESPin hoped!!I mean c'mon if what Ped U did don't get you bounced!!!

Nicky, you're too sensitive. Nobody has suggested the B1G would have considered taking UConn instead of Rutgers. On the contrary, Rutgers is the gateway to UConn -- once Rutgers is in, UConn starts to make sense.

But Delany's public statements have to be supportive, he's not going to add fuel to a PR disaster. Soothing words are no indication of support.

Reaction Score
Zimbalist is an expert in sports economics who gauges whether sports expenditures pay off. He calculates that they add sheen to a school in less than 10% of the cases. He then looked at Rutgers' admission metrics and survey results and assessed that the school has negative perceptions associated with it that are unfair (i.e. he was saying it is a much better school than people give it credit for, but that wasn't the perception -- partly due to the fault of its athletics). Average rank of 37 since 2005 doesn't move national sentiment about a school. Heck, UConn has been playing football for longer than that, and has even racked up winning records while in the BE against Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville, and it's meant nada.

@Winning records against Pitt,SU and L'ville and have winning record?So?Thats what your banking entrance to the B1G or ACC on?

Reaction Score
Nicky, you're too sensitive. Nobody has suggested the B1G would have considered taking UConn instead of Rutgers. On the contrary, Rutgers is the gateway to UConn -- once Rutgers is in, UConn starts to make sense.

But Delany's public statements have to be supportive, he's not going to add fuel to a PR disaster. Soothing words are no indication of support.

Very possible my friend admittedly being an RU fan Im always watching for subtle wisecracks !!I'll try and check myself cause Im all for you guys but dealing with BC and Cuse types make's me skeptical of eveyones intention's!!I absolutely agree that RU now makes UConn a contigenous market and hope they see your value as many of us do!

Reaction Score
@pj,I tempered my post as my intent wasn't to be a wiseguy...Im thankful this board has so many decent folks!

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
@Winning records against Pitt,SU and L'ville and have winning record?So?Thats what your banking entrance to the B1G or ACC on?

I wrote the exact opposite.
I wrote that the last 9 years have been totally meaningless.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Well now wait a minute. I know a place in Boston where there are plenty of wide open space: Conte Forum for a men's basketball game.

Reaction Score
One quick comment about growth/population shift/demographics.

Outside of Florida, Texas and Georgia the southern states are less populated than the north. That said 3% growth in a less densely populated area is lower overall people than 1% in a densely populated area. There are economies of scale at work here. As some of the lower populated areas grow, the cost of that growth will equal the existing areas. At that point things will stablize and the north will still have higher population. The pendulum doesn't swing one direction for ever.

http://www.stewarthsu.com/2007/12/04/population-growth-forecast-charts/

http://www.stewarthsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/state_projected_pop_growth_2007-2012.pdf

Just a quick comment about the midwest. Most fans dislike the east coast attitude of looking down at a place because you feel its backwoods etc. Your assumption is we are stuck here when in reality we choose to be here. If you live in Chicago or Minneapolis you can get your urban feel, go to museums, concerts and pro sports. You can also choose to live more rural. My family farms 5000 acres 90 minutes south of Minneapolis. I can get anywhere in the world just like you can. My income is more disposable because I don't have the same cost of living as you do. I live in a 3400 sq foot house with a three car garage on a golf course for $275K.

I would like UCONN in the B1G. I would prefer you leave the attitude with the AAC though. We make lots of money feeding you and making your cars. Don't look down at us as you suffer from creeping obesity because you drive to the store.

The one ‘trait’ that always amazes me about Midwesterns is driving. I know a handful of people who life around Minneapolis and they think nothing of driving 6 hours to Chicago for just a weekend while most in the Northeast screams bloody murder driving over 3 hours away (excluding traffic jams).

Reaction Score
RU fans talk about the trouble they've had penetrating South Jersey. Supposedly that has gotten better. They are always going to have some trouble when Penn State is so close, but I think they have a better chance of getting traction there then they do in your town. It's more about the town demographics than anything else. I live a couple towns down 208 from you and I know of a few other UConn grads in town. There are plenty of RU grads, but non-grads don't gravitate to RU. I have to drive by our high school every day, and I see just as many Williams sweatshirts as RU sweatshirts. It doesn't mean the kids get in to Williams, but they aren't Scarlet Knight fans unless they wind up going there. No matter what RU fans tell you, a kid in my town does not generally dream of going to RU.

I assume that, as much as UConn has made strides in Fairfield County, there will be the same issues there.

I agree. I went to the Bosco v. Bergen Catholic football game last fall and while there were a lot of Rutgers jersey around, there were also a lot of Penn State, Michigan, ND, etc. Just like CT, Rutgers has to do a better job at keeping Jersey talent at home. Since Jersey is one of the best states for HS football out there, and CT is admittedly far behind, this is where Rutgers joining the B1G will have the biggest impact. Of course, Ohio St. & Michigan are salivating about being able to ‘sell’ local Jersey recruits with eth opportunity to play in front of the family annually and still play for Ohio State and U of M.

Reaction Score
@ NickyNewark

Just a couple of points…

"Gee, look at that nice little college in Storrs setting there like a nice boy" and take UConn instead do ya?”

I made no implication that the B1G would dump Rutgers over this. All I said is that the B1G is furious with Rutgers over this fiasco and that the only thing saving them is the fact that Rutgers is located in the country’s biggest TV market.

And by the way…

“LOL!! Hilarious...owned? ha ha,”

I was stating that UConn’s goal should be to beat Rutgers and other similar college at the same level every year. Isn’t that everyone’s goal? UConn’s goal when they joined I-A football with the BigE in 2003, their goal was to be competitive. I would say 2 co-championships in 11 years is not bad. Rutgers stated goal was to win the BigE every year since joining in 1995 and they have won, uh, oh, never mind. At least Rutgers is 6 and 5 against UConn since 2001, so you have that.

Also…

“people don't know but the minute Pitt and SU found out in "10" that RU was close to getting a B1G invite the BE's days were numbered! Their pride couldn’t stand or understand how "they" RU a large state U with ties and similar mission and fanbase's in a giant demo could pass "them' up? Imagine you guys came in with us and "they" were left when the music stopped? That would have been priceless to see their faces and boards meltdown along with their arrogant private school pride!”

Pitt is a private institution? It was once part of U Pennsylvania; but, it became a state affiliated school in 1966 and is considered ‘public.’ Yet, I do agree about the BigE; but, I would argue that the BigE was destined to fail the day Football was added.

Reaction Score
I agree with you. It is a choice. Neither is better. They are just different lifestyles.

People in the Midwest get tired of the put downs about things to do, no one lives there, just like I am quite sure people on the coast get tired of hearing of Midwestern Values. Like morals only exist there.

Stereotypes are difficult to break. That is with regards to my comment that perception is reality. While many B1G fans understand the additions of RU and UMd, they are somewhat concerned with culture clash. That is why I don't want UVa or UNC in the B1G. They don't fit culturally in the B1G. They may never and it would be like adding more of the PSU fans that hate the B1G. It would be like swallowing poison and it would be just a matter of time before it killed everything. I don't see a major brand like ND or UT working either. I think the personalities(schools) in the B1G currently are workable.

I prefer the schools with potential that can grow to represent the brand. That growth is what will create the rivalry's and great fan bases.

I agree with UNC but disagree about UVA - Virginia's becoming more 'Northern' every year due to migration from the Midwest and the school itself pulls in a lot of students from all across the US. I think in another decade or so the culture gap won't be that great.

I also think hatred from the PSU fans are a bit overblown - there's a subset of vocal haters on-line but the fans that I know who were students around when Penn State joined the Big Ten are generally big supporters.

Reaction Score
The one ‘trait’ that always amazes me about Midwesterns is driving. I know a handful of people who life around Minneapolis and they think nothing of driving 6 hours to Chicago for just a weekend while most in the Northeast screams bloody murder driving over 3 hours away (excluding traffic jams).

It's the lack of traffic that makes it bearable - driving 5-6 years in light traffic is a lot less stressful than driving 2 hours in a traffic jam.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I agree. I went to the Bosco v. Bergen Catholic football game last fall and while there were a lot of Rutgers jersey around, there were also a lot of Penn State, Michigan, ND, etc. Just like CT, Rutgers has to do a better job at keeping Jersey talent at home. Since Jersey is one of the best states for HS football out there, and CT is admittedly far behind, this is where Rutgers joining the B1G will have the biggest impact. Of course, Ohio St. & Michigan are salivating about being able to ‘sell’ local Jersey recruits with eth opportunity to play in front of the family annually and still play for Ohio State and U of M.

My theory on northern NJ football is those kids from Bosco, Bergen and Joes are coached up and are often "overrated". For every Cushing (who had some help from PEDs but has always had a nasty streak) there's a Toal who was just better at fundamentals. Often times the talent catches up. New England has to have the same percentage of good athletes. UConn just needs to find it and cultivate it.

Reaction Score
I agree with UNC but disagree about UVA - Virginia's becoming more 'Northern' every year due to migration from the Midwest and the school itself pulls in a lot of students from all across the US. I think in another decade or so the culture gap won't be that great.

I also think hatred from the PSU fans are a bit overblown - there's a subset of vocal haters on-line but the fans that I know who were students around when Penn State joined the Big Ten are generally big supporters.

A few thoughts ...

I agree with you about UVA and would be supportive of their inclusion in the B1G. Unfortunately, their signing of the ACC GOR, makes it clear there is not reciprocal interest at this time.

I agree with you about PSU. As you mentioned, there are certainly a subset of PSU fans who dislike being in the B1G and would prefer being in the ACC; however, conversations that I have had over the years with PSU alums and fans have been uniformly positive about their being in the B1G. During recent conversations, they have also indicated being pleased with the invitation of Maryland and Rutgers, as eastern partners, to the B1G.

I am supportive of UConn to the B1G but one concern I have for our UConn hosts is whether Nebraska will feel a similar desire to add western partners and petition the B1G to look closer at whether Kansas and Oklahoma could be lured away from their respective instate rivals and the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Is it possible the historic NBA series that ended tonight can contribute to another surge in the popularity of basketball?

Reaction Score
That's quite a way to go to matching the Super Bowl.

Classic series, regardless. Same in the NHL. College hockey had a classic season, too.

Reaction Score
A few thoughts ...

I agree with you about UVA and would be supportive of their inclusion in the B1G. Unfortunately, their signing of the ACC GOR, makes it clear there is not reciprocal interest at this time.

I agree with you about PSU. As you mentioned, there are certainly a subset of PSU fans who dislike being in the B1G and would prefer being in the ACC; however, conversations that I have had over the years with PSU alums and fans have been uniformly positive about their being in the B1G. During recent conversations, they have also indicated being pleased with the invitation of Maryland and Rutgers, as eastern partners, to the B1G.

I am supportive of UConn to the B1G but one concern I have for our UConn hosts is whether Nebraska will feel a similar desire to add western partners and petition the B1G to look closer at whether Kansas and Oklahoma could be lured away from their respective instate rivals and the Big 12.

The GORs are a double edged sword. IF they hold, UCONN is arguably the most attractive team remaining for the ACC, B1G (AAU aside) or Big12, should any decide to expand. The issue becomes who is paired with UCONN. While the Big 12 and ACC can pair us with Cincinnati and others, it becomes much more difficult for the B1G to find a suitable partner. Missouri and Vanderbilt are potential partners not covered by a GOR, but it's unlikely they would leave the SEC, at least in the foreseeable future.

IF the ACC and B12 GORs fall apart, that's a mixed bag too. If the ACC cracks, the B1G would likely choose to pursue UNC with UVA, potentially creating a domino effect, which would open up opportunities for the B12 and SEC to raid the ACC. UCONN would get snatched up by the ACC, but it remains to be seen what that conference looks like when the dust settles. If the B12 cracks, then the B1G likely evaluates options on its western front, potentially taking two or three teams. This may create an opportunity for UCONN if the B1G wants to continue to grow its eastern front, but UCONN would only be invited if Texas and Oklahoma go the PAC and/or the B1G decides to expand to 18 or 20.

Our best hope is that Virginia decides to depart ACC and UNC isn't ready to give up its power, and UCONN slides in (a la Rutgers). Penn State would be happy with an eastern contingent of UVA, UCONN, Rutgers, and Maryland. For once they would be at the geographic center of their division, instead of being an outlier, which contributed to some of the B1G dissent in the past.

Reaction Score
I wrote the exact opposite.
I wrote that the last 9 years have been totally meaningless.

@Lets hope not upstater because when UConn puts their mind to something they get it done quicker than most including my beloved RU!!While Pitt/SU and BC and others were living off past glory you were BEATING them!Keep the faith as like RU you have a great market and unlimited potential to become a breakout program!It won't be as long as it might feel like right now!Heck in M's and WBB your already a national type program but football just takes a little longer!Ha ha just ask me!!

Reaction Score
@ NickyNewark

Just a couple of points…

"Gee, look at that nice little college in Storrs setting there like a nice boy" and take UConn instead do ya?”

I made no implication that the B1G would dump Rutgers over this. All I said is that the B1G is furious with Rutgers over this fiasco and that the only thing saving them is the fact that Rutgers is located in the country’s biggest TV market.

And by the way…

“LOL!! Hilarious...owned? ha ha,”

I was stating that UConn’s goal should be to beat Rutgers and other similar college at the same level every year. Isn’t that everyone’s goal? UConn’s goal when they joined I-A football with the BigE in 2003, their goal was to be competitive. I would say 2 co-championships in 11 years is not bad. Rutgers stated goal was to win the BigE every year since joining in 1995 and they have won, uh, oh, never mind. At least Rutgers is 6 and 5 against UConn since 2001, so you have that.

Also…

“people don't know but the minute Pitt and SU found out in "10" that RU was close to getting a B1G invite the BE's days were numbered! Their pride couldn’t stand or understand how "they" RU a large state U with ties and similar mission and fanbase's in a giant demo could pass "them' up? Imagine you guys came in with us and "they" were left when the music stopped? That would have been priceless to see their faces and boards meltdown along with their arrogant private school pride!”

Pitt is a private institution? It was once part of U Pennsylvania; but, it became a state affiliated school in 1966 and is considered ‘public.’ Yet, I do agree about the BigE; but, I would argue that the BigE was destined to fail the day Football was added.

@Yes Pitt is a sort of mixed past school but I do know technically there public but how many do?I can't disagree with most of your points!Well thought out post but I'm not so sure about the "basketball only" thing?I think the mistake was jealousy of PSU by most of us!!But thats all water over the bridge now! I certainly wish we could have worked it out on the football side because I love eastern football and think regional pride is important!Maybe taking in those thugs from the "U" was another big mistake but BC compounded it by listening to the "devil"!Now look at them!!

pj

Reaction Score
It's the lack of traffic that makes it bearable - driving 5-6 years in light traffic is a lot less stressful than driving 2 hours in a traffic jam.

Yes. Plus sharing a road with a Midwesterner is much more relaxing than sharing a road with an Easterner.

pj

Reaction Score

Isn't this a certainty? Nebraska would surely love to be in a conference with Kansas and Oklahoma again. Heck, UConn would love to be in a conference with them, if we had nearby partners also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom