BIG fan here: let's keep hope alive | Page 7 | The Boneyard

BIG fan here: let's keep hope alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@ NickyNewark

Thanks. As I said, I respect Rutgers the school and the student, just pissed at the current administration, especially as my taxes go to Rutgers nowadays.:mad:
Miami was the name brand that the Big E needed at the time. Plus, just like the B1G today, the Big E back then saw the demographics shifting south and needed the brand and the link to that growing recruiting market. Once adding football, the Big E made two fatal mistakes that doomed the conference. The first was in 1992 when the conference rejected Penn State as a member. The second was in 1995 when the Big E did not force ND to join as a full member (doable in football as the Big E only had 8 teams at that time, ND could still have 3 to 4 independent games). A conference with ND, Penn State, Miami, a lock on the NY market (ND, Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn), and a handful of traditional football schools would not have been broken-up, even after the non-football Catholics went their own way.

@Excellent hypothesis,I see it exactly the way you do! It's a shame ego's and personalities getting in the way ruined the opportunity for a very strong BigEastern Conference!Mark my words ..ND will be the bane of the AAC! I don't see them ever joining them yet their banking on it!btw Thank's for leaving BC out of the equasion Ha Ha!

Reaction Score
In 2011, BC High School from Boston, which was rated the #1 HS in Eastern Mass football to start the season, travelled to NJ to play DePaul in Wayne. DePaul was the 5th Best Catholic HS football program in NNJ at the time behind Bosco, Bergen Catholic, St Joe’s (Montvale) who beat DePaul the week before 49 to 3 , and St. Peter’s. DePaul won 49 to 35 with BC scoring the last 14 points after DePaul put in the 2nd stringers. It’s think NJ is so good in HS football is 1) coaching, 2) competition, and 3) parents who are willing to spend and time carting their kids to these select programs (if I take an early train home from work, I always run into Bosco kids in Ramsey taking the train the hour up to Middletown NY or the 45 minutes down to Paterson)
The only comparable HS sports program I have seen in New England is Catholic HS hockey in the Boston area.

@Again Conehead I completely agree! I have friends from CNY who couldn't understand why I always bragged about NJ HS football!Finally I took him to a game or two in North Jersey and he was blown away and now raves about it himself!I told him SU's demise came with their rift in NJ and lack of Jersey talent that used to be there "bread and butter"!Since then RU and Uconn have started to assimilate some of the cream into our programs along with every power in the country feasted on NJ talent!Look at BC?They also lost influence except maybe a few in the parochial's!!Weird outside of LI and the neighboring NY counties w/NJ football seems to end at the NE border?

Reaction Score
My theory on northern NJ football is those kids from Bosco, Bergen and Joes are coached up and are often "overrated". For every Cushing (who had some help from PEDs but has always had a nasty streak) there's a Toal who was just better at fundamentals. Often times the talent catches up. New England has to have the same percentage of good athletes. UConn just needs to find it and cultivate it.

There is talent in New England; but, on a whole, HS programs are far behind NJ. Such a concentration of highly successful programs now in NNJ breeds more competition, which breeds more exposure, which then pulls in even more talent. Don Bosco pulls in kids from the immediate area in NNJ plus New York City, Hudson Valley of NY, and even parts of eastern PA.
Just look at the 2013 schedules for the big 5. Not only do they play each other at least once a year; but, they also play schools all over the country.
Don Bosco: St. Joseph’s (Philadelphia), Mission Viejo (Los Angeles), Central (Miami), Friendship (DC),
Bergen Catholic: Curtis (New Orleans), Jordan (Salt Lake City), Friendship (DC),
St. Joseph’s (Montvale): DeMartha (Baltimore), New Smyrna Beach (Daytona Beach),
Paramus Catholic: Gilman (Baltimore), St. Ignatius (Cleveland), St, Mark’s (Wilmington DE), Friendship (DC)
St. Peter’s: Gonzaga (DC), Marist (Chicago)
Not only are these schools willing and able (NJ recently lowered restrictions on out-of-state games, much to the relief of local public high schools) to put together such schedules; but the schools and families are willing and able to pony-up the money to do so.

Reaction Score
@Again Conehead I completely agree! I have friends from CNY who couldn't understand why I always bragged about NJ HS football!Finally I took him to a game or two in North Jersey and he was blown away and now raves about it himself!I told him SU's demise came with their rift in NJ and lack of Jersey talent that used to be there "bread and butter"!Since then RU and Uconn have started to assimilate some of the cream into our programs along with every power in the country feasted on NJ talent!Look at BC?They also lost influence except maybe a few in the parochial's!!Weird outside of LI and the neighboring NY counties w/NJ football seems to end at the NE border?

As stated, there is talent in New York City, New York State and New England; but, it is a lot more dispersed across the region unlike NNJ where it has become very concentrated. While many of the ‘stars’ go to the Big 5 Catholics, the local youth football feeder systems, coaching, and parents with disposable income enable even the ‘leftovers’ at the publics to have very formidable teams (Wayne Hills, Ramapo, etc.) that most NY/New England schools would find hard to beat.
As for Rutgers, the big question regarding its football future will be it’s ability to fend-off the power B1G Schools, i.e. Ohio State and Michigan, from cherry picking NJ recruits, e.g. Jarbill Peppers (#1 ranked HS recruit in the nation from Paramus Catholic picked Michigan) and keep that talent home.
As for UConn, UConn has done a good job at finding the underrated talent in NNJ and turning them into NFL caliber players, such as Donald Brown. If UConn can continue to do so, more success will follow, especially of UConn can get into the ACC or the B1G.

pj

Reaction Score
Didn't see much support for UConn in that thread, Butch, but thanks for showing the flag.

Reaction Score
Didn't see much support for UConn in that thread, Butch, but thanks for showing the flag.
There are loads of B1G hockey fans who use that site. Either they expressed support, didn't care to express distaste or went nuts. I see one that has gone nuts, so far.

Or maybe now things are beginning to go downhill.

Reaction Score
I cannot find the link; but, there was a report I saw earlier in the year that ranked Connecticut in terms of hockey popularity and recruiting tied for #5 with New Jersey behind #1 Minnesota (by a wide margin), #2 Massachusetts, #3 Wisconsin, and #4 New York. Michigan and Pennsylvania followed. Of course, for those who doubt that a CT college can be good in hockey should have watched the 2013 NCAA title game between Quinnipiac and Yale. I believe that UConn getting into B1G recruiting would be a huge boost for the program, especially recruiting, although Hockey East would still be the #1 conference regionally just due to the number of teams in the area (BC, BU, Northeastern, UNH, Maine, etc.).

Reaction Score
It's been a while, and I firmly stand where not enough football centric BIG fans dare go: UConn to the BIG. You hear that FranktheTank.

I would be exceptionally excited to see basketball and football with the likes of UConn, OU, Tx and KU in a BIG 18.

Reaction Score
It's been a while, and I firmly stand where not enough football centric BIG fans dare go: UConn to the BIG. You hear that FranktheTank.

I would be exceptionally excited to see basketball and football with the likes of UConn, OU, Tx and KU in a BIG 18.
One problem with that, Texas might not be interested in a Midwest-centric league. But getting UConn in along with Rutgers and taking in NYC in it's "entirety" might change that. All those schools combined would be an incredible athletic and academic conference. Easily be one of the best, if not the best, conferences, economically. UMD certainly delivers a piece of Washington, DC. That city is becoming better and better.

Reaction Score
I cannot find the link; but, there was a report I saw earlier in the year that ranked Connecticut in terms of hockey popularity and recruiting tied for #5 with New Jersey behind #1 Minnesota (by a wide margin), #2 Massachusetts, #3 Wisconsin, and #4 New York. Michigan and Pennsylvania followed. Of p
Way OT, but I find it challenging to believe NJ overall would be ranked ahead of CT for hockey popularity and recruiting.

Reaction Score
Way OT, but I find it challenging to believe NJ overall would be ranked ahead of CT for hockey popularity and recruiting.

NJ does have 8.85 million residents and is fairly affluent (hockey is a very expensive sport) and CT only has 3.59 million resident. Give credit to CT for being able to match a state with over double its population. NJ also has 3 or 4 local NHL teams (Devils, Ranges, Flyers, and now maybe Islanders due to their move to Brooklyn) to spur interest. Last winter, I tried going to the local high school’s hockey game in NJ against its main rival and literally was not allowed in the building as they had an overflow crowd of +1,000. Most games are not like that; but, it does show some passion.

I tried finding the old link and actually found, a pair, though different than before.

First, the Bleacher Report ranked the ‘quality’ of hockey by state in 2011, while I don’t complete agree with this list, especially Mass at #4, here it is: 1) MN, 2) MI, 3) NY, 4) MA, 5) CT, 6) WI, 7) AK, 8) IL, 9) NJ, 10) PA.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...y-ranking-the-top-10-hockey-states-in-america

Also found a USHO clip from 2012 showing a ranking of states by participants:

1) MN, 2) MI, 3) NY, 4) MA, 5) PA, 6) IL, 7) CA, 8) WI, 9) NJ, 10) OH, 11) CO, 12) CT

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012/05/31/raw-numbers-hockey-participation-up-in-2011-12/

Reaction Score
NJ does have 8.85 million residents and is fairly affluent (hockey is a very expensive sport) and CT only has 3.59 million resident.

First, the Bleacher Report ranked the ‘quality’ of hockey by state in 2011, while I don’t complete agree with this list, especially Mass at #4, here it is: 1) MN, 2) MI, 3) NY, 4) MA, 5) CT, 6) WI, 7) AK, 8) IL, 9) NJ, 10) PA.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...y-ranking-the-top-10-hockey-states-in-america

Also found a USHO clip from 2012 showing a ranking of states by participants:
1) MN, 2) MI, 3) NY, 4) MA, 5) PA, 6) IL, 7) CA, 8) WI, 9) NJ, 10) OH, 11) CO, 120 CT
http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012/05/31/raw-numbers-hockey-participation-up-in-2011-12/
Yup, the narrow focus on population alone is apparent. 1 NHL team is worth some eyes, but it's not as if CT hockey fans aren't well aware of the Rangers and Bruins and to a much lesser degree the Brooklyn Islanders and Devils. From observing NJ hockey quality, it pales in comparison to CT (youth hockey, generally weak NJ high school consequently more club play in NJ to prep -- few exceptions exist at the high school level in NJ). Just not in the same league, but Bleacher Report bloggers can and do write pretty much anything. Strangely ignorant of actual quality of play on the ice, but back to the really important of conference realignment. ;)

Reaction Score
Connecticut's compactness and easy proxiimity to NYC and Boston are negatives with regard to Proffessional Sports.
I remember going to Whaler- Bruin games were there were sd many
Bruin Fans as Whalers.
This proximity to accesssble major markets is a selling point for UConn as NYC really has no home teams and Boston is tepid BC at best

Reaction Score
As stated before, I'm a Minnesota native, Minnesota alum - I'm also a Wisconsin alum (shhhhhh). Outside of college basketball (Spartan loyalist), I stick with the Minnesota teams. I started rooting for Michigan State Basketball because of Magic Johnson - that was my first memorable team, the elite eight team first, then NC team & he's simply my favorite basketball player ever.

After today and seeing my Spartans go down in the vast sea and spectacle of UConn fans @ MSG, I'm sticking with my OP and will keep it going from time to time. I really want UConn into the BIG, esp for basketball, both sexes. I don't give a flying F about the BIG traditionalists, their AAU pomp & the bogus football argument - BIG football is a great tradition and the league sends great players to the next level, attendance is wonderful, but winning it all just aint in the cards unless a fairer system is in place, and even with such a "system" it will still be hard to beat the SEC. Once in a while you'll get a hot Texas, USC, FSU and maybe a Michigan-OSU-PSU team, but unlikely. HS football down South is just a force right now.

It's just insane we added Rutgers, but not you guys. I don't mind Rutgers because they frankly have upside that has been tragically under-utilized and they have damn good hs football, hell damn good hs basketball - they just have a rotten tradition & I've been so displeased with their PR fumbles the past couple of years. But ultimately education prevails for me, Rutgers is a fine academic institution, so is UConn - AAU is overrated.

UConn to the BIG now, GDit, now!

Would love to see at least two games a year, at least, between MSU & UConn. Heck, if Maryland gets back to tradition, would love seeing those games as well.

The best high school basketball players come from the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic to Northeast. But I"m sick and tired of seeing so many of these players go down South.

As for my other favorite sport, hockey, you'll catch up to us soon if you get a BIG invite. We just made our 21st Frozen Four today. But bear in mind, we also lost to Yale last year & they went on to win it all. Anything is possible & CT has very good prep hockey.

I also like your soccer program - worthy - with Md and IU, BIG men's soccer would be a force.

Reaction Score
As stated before, I'm a Minnesota native, Minnesota alum - I'm also a Wisconsin alum (shhhhhh). Outside of college basketball (Spartan loyalist), I stick with the Minnesota teams. I started rooting for Michigan State Basketball because of Magic Johnson - that was my first memorable team, the elite eight team first, then NC team & he's simply my favorite basketball player ever.

After today and seeing my Spartans go down in the vast sea and spectacle of UConn fans @ MSG, I'm sticking with my OP and will keep it going from time to time. I really want UConn into the BIG, esp for basketball, both s e xes. I don't give a flying F about the BIG traditionalists, their AAU pomp & the bogus football argument - BIG football is a great tradition and the league sends great players to the next level, attendance is wonderful, but winning it all just aint in the cards unless a fairer system is in place, and even with such a "system" it will still be hard to beat the SEC. Once in a while you'll get a hot Texas, USC, FSU and maybe a Michigan-OSU-PSU team, but unlikely. HS football down South is just a force right now.

It's just insane we added Rutgers, but not you guys. I don't mind Rutgers because they frankly have upside that has been tragically under-utilized and they have damn good hs football, hell damn good hs basketball - they just have a rotten tradition & I've been so displeased with their PR fumbles the past couple of years. But ultimately education prevails for me, Rutgers is a fine academic institution, so is UConn - AAU is overrated.

UConn to the BIG now, GDit, now!

Would love to see at least two games a year, at least, between MSU & UConn. Heck, if Maryland gets back to tradition, would love seeing those games as well.

The best high school basketball players come from the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic to Northeast. But I"m sick and tired of seeing so many of these players go down South.

As for my other favorite sport, hockey, you'll catch up to us soon if you get a BIG invite. We just made our 21st Frozen Four today. But bear in mind, we also lost to Yale last year & they went on to win it all. Anything is possible & CT has very good prep hockey.

I also like your soccer program - worthy - with Md and IU, BIG men's soccer would be a force.
Insane we added RU...from a Minnesota fan? You're lucky to have been grandfathered in...otherwise you'd be booted out Temple-style.Too bad you can't count tree's in you're population.You can congratulate 1 team w/o knocking another if words were you're friend's.

Reaction Score
Insane we added RU...from a Minnesota fan? You're lucky to have been grandfathered in...otherwise you'd be booted out Temple-style.Too bad you can't count tree's in you're population.

Minnesota has 17 NCAA titles & they are not all in hockey: wrestling, golf, baseball, football as well. We consistently finish in the top 20, often top 15 of the Director's Cup. We are generally one of the best baseball programs in the BIG - we've won 3 NCs here as well - heck we're 3 for 5 in CWS. To be frank, despite the decline of BIG baseball, we have the most NCs of all BIG members.

This year alone, we finished second in the NCAA Wrestling Tournament & our gals came up short on 3-peating as NCs in hockey. And damn if we're not heading to another Frozen Four on the men's side. What, you going to root against us if we meet BC in the finals? Thanks.

We are a founding member of the BIG - in fact we were one of the key leaders in forming the conference. You better learn your history Nickey - we're no Temple & you are in the club now. Minnesota is consistently amongst the top 5 overall athletic programs in the BIG.

I was complimentary towards Rutgers as an academic institution, and I embrace your forthcoming membership. Read more carefully. But Rutgers has underachieved in football and basketball. Already, Franklin has come into PSU and is plucking 2015 blue chip talent out of NJ. Get pissed, get involved, keep your kids in-state.

BTW, there are four former Gopher Hockey players in the top 25 of NHL scoring: Phil Kessel, Kyle Okposo, Blake Wheeler and Thomas Vanek. And how about that Miracle On Ice squad, 1980? The coach and vast majority of the players were all things Ski-U-Mah.

PS Do I really need to ask you how many NCAA titles Rutgers has won? Trust me, I know the answer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Minnesota has 17 NCAA titles & they are not all in hockey: wrestling, golf, baseball, football as well. We consistently finish in the top 20, often top 15 of the Director's Cup. We are generally one of the best baseball programs in the BIG - we've won 3 NCs here as well - heck we're 3 for 5 in CWS. To be frank, despite the decline of BIG baseball, we have the most NCs of all BIG members.

This year alone, we finished second in the NCAA Wrestling Tournament & our gals came up short on 3-peating as NCs in hockey. And damn if we're not heading to another Frozen Four on the men's side. What, you going to root against us if we meet BC in the finals? Thanks.

We are a founding member of the BIG - in fact we were one of the key leaders in forming the conference. You better learn your history Nickey - we're no Temple & you are in the club now. Minnesota is consistently amongst the top 5 overall athletic programs in the BIG.

I was complimentary towards Rutgers as an academic institution, and I embrace your forthcoming membership. Read more carefully. But Rutgers has underachieved in football and basketball. Already, Franklin has come into PSU and is plucking 2015 blue chip talent out of NJ. Get pissed, get involved, keep your kids in-state.

BTW, there are four former Gopher Hockey players in the top 25 of NHL scoring: Phil Kessel, Kyle Okposo, Blake Wheeler and Thomas Vanek. And how about that Miracle On Ice squad, 1980? The coach and vast majority of the players were all things Ski-U-Mah.

PS Do I really need to ask you how many NCAA titles Rutgers has won? Trust me, I know the answer.
I'm pretty sorry I posted that but I had just come off a B1G board after pushing their(UConn's) case to see this anti-RU dribble so common amongst the ACC privates in the NE cause they see the writing on the wall(fear,jealousy). I've NEVER said anything negative about Minn before but truthfully in the NE no one ever thinks much at all about the Gophers due to their innocuous brand.Down here we think after UM/OSU/PSU/NEB/MSU/Iowa and the rest as no better than any decent BE team and worse than a few..WVU/RU/UConn/Pitt/....you guys didn't really shine the few times we see on TV(SU games) reinforcing the vanilla stereotype wrapped in a B1G logo.btw PSU was getting beat in Pennsy for home recruits by RU b4 Shady left but you should know as a gopher fan w/o any real recruiting base there's no shame losing out to PSU, Mich or OSU as when does Minnesota beat them out? Check out the recruiting rankings over the last 5 yrs or so before knocking RU recruiting.I'm so fed up with these ACC hicks giving us information(bad) on the greatness of the ACC only to find a brother B1G fan creating the same misinformation!?! Sorry about that post but for UConn to get where they need to be(B1G) RU HAS to succeed and all the indications are they will!(HCKF shoulda been dumped so we wait another yr) talk about frustrating!!

Reaction Score

Sorry buddy but hockey barely rates with(less) WBB in moving the needle but its a good niche/extra. How many guys from Minn were drafted or in the NFL recently?We all love the miracle on ice and Paul Robeson too but its ancient history now to kids.How much blue chip talent in the real sports(sports that count)come out of Minnesota? Why get into a pizzing match? We all want the same things here outside the ACC fans....who would like divide and conquer...you seem erudite enough to not let that happen. I'm really sorry I posted that but I apologized and we move on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Insane we added RU...from a Minnesota fan? You're lucky to have been grandfathered in...otherwise you'd be booted out Temple-style.Too bad you can't count tree's in you're population.You can congratulate 1 team w/o knocking another if words were you're friend's.

Sorry Nicky; but Gfunk does have several points and U Minn is not going anywhere.

The Gophers are AAU, well ranked academically (US News – UConn #57, Rutgers #69, U Minn #69), have a $2.8 billion endowment (Rutgers only has $783 million and yes, endowments do matter to the B1G. UConn's is horrid), and were an original member of the B1G back in 1896. They have also won several football titles, are a hockey power (Rutgers should have a hockey team as NJ has local talent), and have put a lot of money into their sports facilities in recent years (TCF stadium).

NJ does have more people (8.8 million v 5.4 million); but, Minneapolis is a major metro area about the size of Northern NJ (MSP 3.4 million, NNJ 3.5 million) and has corporate headquarters galore (United Healthcare, Target, 3M, General Mills, etc.).

Rutgers has TV eyeball and is a HS football recruiting haven (BTW – NJ averages about 10/12K for HS football championships, MN averages 19K for HS hockey championships). But, the Scarlet Knights success on the field has been limited and they have had a series of PR nightmares since the announcement was made that they were joining the B1G.

If the B1G was built today, it would be hard to argue against U Minn inclusion in the B1G.

Reaction Score
I knowConey if you've seen my latest post's. I was just pissed about the perception issues in some of the backwaters were forced to deal with so to hear it from a Minny fan topped the cake ha ha.Thanks for you're usual reasonableness.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Oh yeah?Check the SNY page RU v UConn for followers!!What does it say?I think Matt Sugran covers BE college FB in the area...RU buries UConn in even FF cty let alone the NY/NJ demo!!Probably even here in Conn..don't be so arrogant because its a bad image we project!Whats next were the EQUAL of PSU too?BTW I'm also an upstater!

RU buries UConn even in FF County? That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time. Based on that one would think the RU supporters would be sending their kids in big numbers. Here are the last three years at Greenwich HS:

2013 UConn 53 RU 1
2012 UConn 51 RU 1
2011 UConn 41 RU 1

It doesn't get better for RU if you add in the private schools.

Reaction Score
I knowConey if you've seen my latest post's. I was just pissed about the perception issues in some of the backwaters were forced to deal with so to hear it from a Minny fan topped the cake ha ha.Thanks for you're usual reasonableness.

No problem.

We all have our days. Could be worse, according to the ‘Cuse fan site, it’s the end of the world as once again the Orange bowed out early while a UConn team ‘full of thugs and cheaters’ and in a ‘pit’ of a conference is in the Final 4 yet again. I know it’s desperate when the only bad thing they can come up with Shabazz is that he has an ugly mug. LOL. A couple did admit (and got ripped by their own fans) that it appears that UConn is not going anywhere soon and it would make more sense for ‘Cuse and UConn to play an annual game at MSG instead of a annual game with G-Town, which appears to have rolled over and died.

PS – I have been to MSP before and actually like it. The winters are rough; but, many of the buildings in downtown Minneapolis are all connected by elevated, enclosed walkways (like Toronto and Montreal, just above ground). I have not been to TCF; but, Target Field is nice for baseball.

Reaction Score
Sorry buddy but hockey barely rates with(less) WBB in moving the needle but its a good niche/extra. How many guys from Minn were drafted or in the NFL recently?We all love the miracle on ice and Paul Robeson too but its ancient history now to kids.How much blue chip talent in the real sports(sports that count)come out of Minnesota? Why get into a pizzing match? We all want the same things here outside the ACC fans....who would like divide and conquer...you seem erudite enough to not let that happen. I'm really sorry I posted that but I apologized and we move on.

Actually Nicky, about half the current roster has been drafted by the NHL.

Listen, I'm a person who believes in potential & therefore Rutgers got my approval when the BIG expanded - I did similar posts on Rutgers behalf over the years, got the same crap from certain BIG traditionalists. I see Wisconsin's rise in football, KSU under Snyder, the recent surge of Oregon and Lville as examples of programs w/o rich in-state talent that can succeed. You guys were doing fine and often making noise with Schiano. Md, regretfully, got rid of the Fridge when he was kicking some serious behind in the ACC. Horrendous coaching changes, or egomaniacs can kill a program's momentum. We've been down this path at Minnesota before - Lou Holtz, Lou Holtz. Minnesota has also made huge mistakes with the basketball program, esp when momentum was there to firmly maintain tradition. But I lost hope early on as the basketball program repeatedly fumbled opportunities at reaching success. Thank God for Magic Johnson and MSU, at least in my basketball world, but after that first NC in 79, plenty of hard times in East Lansing.

I'm just thoroughly disappointed by the way your school has handled a number of PR nightmares the past couple of years. You are as well.

You guys are in, why not UConn? Together, both schools can do more to capture NYC than just one or the other & certainly any ACC combo. I also noticed that Rutgers basketball got better as the season progressed - you have great coach in the making & once he keeps more of your 4-5 star talent, watch out.

Hockey and Volleyball actually move the needle here, both have great attendance numbers, as well as our wrestling program. The men's hockey program always sells out - that's 10 thousand a game. It's a revenue earning sport. Women's Volleyball has really grown in the BIG, attendance wise & it's a damn exciting game to watch. Although PSU has dominated the biggest stage, other BIG programs like Minnesota get to the last four and Neb will inevitably battle PSU for BIG supremacy and NC success.

Good luck with your BIG entry.

As for NE elitism, well Jersey folks are part of this equation - you can't argue that point. Maybe less so than Mass or CT natives, NY as well, but nonetheless, y'all are part this attitude & plenty of BIG fans feel overly proud of their institutions, in large part because the conference is so old and entrenched with tradition - old money does that, and there's plenty of it.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have opted for a small liberal arts college for undergraduate school, which is precisely why my daughter is going down this path - 40 to 50 grand a year aside : ). Big state schools are excellent for graduate programs, at least in my world of IQ - I was never a fan of huge classes, nor the city like feel of Madison or Minneapolis. But the greater community of schools like this is worthwhile

Reaction Score
RU buries UConn even in FF County? That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time. Based on that one would think the RU supporters would be sending their kids in big numbers. Here are the last three years at Greenwich HS:

2013 UConn 53 RU 1
2012 UConn 51 RU 1
2011 UConn 41 RU 1

It doesn't get better for RU if you add in the private schools.
Our endowment has hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32